Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Wed, 09 March 2005 22:53 Go to next message
Hello..

Just wondering if anyone knows the of the finer details regarding 128 bit encryption on files and folders / self extracting archives.

I am thinking of storing some project data remotely but do not want anyone digging into any of the password protected (*.exe) archives. Does anyone know if this security measure can be compromised.. and if so.. how easily.

Thanks

James
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Wed, 09 March 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
128bit ain't that secure, but it keeps the casual passer-by from bothering.
Someone would really want to break in if they were to try.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Wed, 09 March 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Nark.

Best i keep looking for something else then...

Thanks

James
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Wed, 09 March 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try PGP or GPG. Use a 2048bit key and really fux0r them up. Smile
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was hoping to use gmail drive - and gmail storage functionality to store some encrypted data (say around 300 megs). Not quite too sure how to implement a GPG setup here.

In the past i've been using easy crypto (free) to create self extracting archives. If they had one which would delete itself and or format the HD atter 3 wrong password attempts .. would actually be quite nice. Dont want gmail getting their hands on my work.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything can be broken - althought 2048bit would take a massive distributed network to solve.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And a few billion years if you were to brute force it.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think its back to carrying my work around me again...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you considered a 1GB usb drive or even memory cards????
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Thu, 10 March 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi fade-e

I got a usb "thumb drive" with all my work backed up on em. Was thinking that it would be easier if i had all the files remotely backed up as well. Gmail seems like the easy way to go, but i am abit iffy about somone else backing up my work. Been working on a this for 3 years now.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Sat, 12 March 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While 128bit encryptions isn't as secure as it used to be, 128bit encryption still takes a long time to brute force, years even, especially if it was a stand alone computer.

PGP is a good option if you want a little more, but I think for securing data 128bit is good enough.

you quite happily do your internet banking and purcahsing through 128bit encryption, why is the way you treat your data any different?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Sat, 12 March 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alchemist,

I'm happy to do internet banking - data sample is small - and for the time being... my bank acc really aint worth raiding.

I want to avoid any possibility of anyone else having a go or multiple goes at decoding my work..
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 128 Bit encryption - Safe of not ? Tue, 15 March 2005 02:29 Go to previous message
sated wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 11:31

If they had one which would delete itself and or format the HD atter 3 wrong password attempts .. would actually be quite nice. Dont want gmail getting their hands on my work.

That could be counted as a virus, malicous code which the user doesn't expect to run.

I have being playing with a security idea for my stuff.

on open ping my server (always on static ip)
server runs in stealth unless ping is from a known IP address
if ping responds:
Run the application as intended (ie i was expecting this ip address to run this app)
otherwise
Run a DMZ application (ie a dummy to fool the user into thinking they are looking at something, but it is really a load of crap. I make another thread which opens a modified minesweeper game.)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Public Basketball courts in the Hills district
Next Topic:New PC: OK?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 12:17:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087809562683105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.