Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
INFMUS16V
Occasional Poster

October 2004
smaller 4agze s/c pulley Sun, 20 March 2005 07:42 Go to next message
hey all . has anyone put a smaller pully on their supercharger .if so i am keen to find out how to go about it
cheers .
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Sun, 20 March 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did, it was solid mounted ie no clutch. dunno how that would idle on a factory ecu tho.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man it sounds simple enough to just put a smaller pulley on and enjoy the extra boost but my research has shown a little bit more than that is necessary for a reliable setup....

reason : by adding a smaller pulley you are effectively lowering the speed of your water pump and reducing the cooling effect on your engine. Ive heard that its not wise to do, thats why you can get 4agze pulley KITS, which include new pulley wheels for s/c and water pump, new belts and i think sometiems new idle pulley aswell.

However i havn't done myself yet (no ze yet) so maybe wait for some other ppl's opinions
Smile
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ran a fixed 90mm pulley on a sc12 (borrowed the s/c from a mate). thing went like a cut snake. the smaller pulley on the s/c spins the s/c quicker than a larger crank pulley does while still acheiving more boost that stock (i was getting 14psi max), it was very agressive. Very Happy i liked it.
i never pulled the pulley off to have a look how it was made, i'll see if i can did up a pic.

Quote:

reason : by adding a smaller pulley you are effectively lowering the speed of your water pump and reducing the cooling effect on your engine. Ive heard that its not wise to do, thats why you can get 4agze pulley KITS, which include new pulley wheels for s/c and water pump, new belts and i think sometiems new idle pulley aswell.

dude he is talking about putting a smaller pulley on the s/c, that will not effect the water pump speed at all.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, smaller s/c pulley is the go. those of us that have done it, rate it, those who havent spin all these crap reasons why a larger crank pulley is better Rolling Eyes
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 16:52

i ran a fixed 90mm pulley on a sc12 (borrowed the s/c from a mate). thing went like a cut snake. the smaller pulley on the s/c spins the s/c quicker than a larger crank pulley does while still acheiving more boost that stock (i was getting 14psi max), it was very agressive. Very Happy i liked it.
i never pulled the pulley off to have a look how it was made, i'll see if i can did up a pic.

sounds good, now where to get one? will it work together with my nevo175? im only getting 11-12psi atm, wouldnt mind a little more Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive heard some places in japan sell them, but most you will come across in aus will be custom jobs, as mine was. a machinest could prob make up one for you.
theres no reason why it wouldnt work with a nevo pulley, you would have to go only slightly smaller tho. if i were you id get a new pulley made that will give you say 15psi, put your old crank pulley on and sell the nevo, no point running both.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i dont like the old crank pulley, i think its not standard and it weighs so much heavier then the nevo. i'll just run high boost and when the s/c dies gives me good excuse to go turbo Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go turbo anyways.... Very Happy
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 17:35

just go turbo anyways.... Very Happy

but then i will have to change my plates. it currently reads AW11SC. and i like it. AW11TC looks crap Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 06:51]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those plates sounds familiar. is it red? have i seen you driving through ingleburn?
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats me, probably doing deliveries
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah shit, sorry.
If s/c pulley is the go can someone explain the reason for the crank based pulleys/kits as an alternative?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Mon, 21 March 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a smaller supercharger pulley will spin the supercharger faster without overspeeding the waterpump and is lighter than a larger crank pulley therefore giving a cripser throttle response. There are alot more kits for the larger crank pulleys. Although the ultimate setup is using a larger crank pulley with a smaller supercharger pulley which i have seen make 15psi and about 120-130rwkw although at that boost the supercharger isnt very efficient.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ultimate setup Rolling Eyes mate, you dont need a smaller s/c pulley and larger crank pulley to make 15psi... its not hard to understand when you think about it. you make the s/c pulley smaller, there isnt really a limit, you could 'theoretically' make one the size of a 5c piece and have crazy amounts of boost, obviously you wouldnt but you get what im saying. like i said, mine made 15psi with s/c pulley alone. and if i had it returned to me when it was supposed to be i could go take a measurement of it so people would know the size required for 15psi.
INFMUS16V
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers guys thanks for the input. i guss i will have to find some one that can make a new pully and then of we goooo.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 16:55

ultimate setup Rolling Eyes mate, you dont need a smaller s/c pulley and larger crank pulley to make 15psi... its not hard to understand when you think about it. you make the s/c pulley smaller, there isnt really a limit, you could 'theoretically' make one the size of a 5c piece and have crazy amounts of boost, obviously you wouldnt but you get what im saying. like i said, mine made 15psi with s/c pulley alone. and if i had it returned to me when it was supposed to be i could go take a measurement of it so people would know the size required for 15psi.

when you have a crank pulley that big you run into issues like having to remove the timing indicator and having to use a smaller idler pulley.

Also having such a large crank pulley also adds unessecary weight and reduces response and power.

Having a slightly oversized crank pulley with a smaller s/c pulley gives you the best of both worlds no or minimal extra pulley weight, your not overspeeding the water pump too much and you get better response with the same boost.
hence the ultimate and reliable setup for a sc12.

But really you have to wonder if at 15psi how efficient the sc12 really is.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best of both worlds? you only listed negatives for the oversized crank pulley so i still dont get where your coming from.

i thought my car ran fine at 15psi. sure it ran out of puff after 6000rpm, but the stock gze doesnt go that great after 6000rpm anyway. i think the extra power down low compensates for the restriction in the top end.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybee your right there are only downsides to running a huge crank pulley while there are only upsides to running a smaller s/c pulley with a slightly larger crank pulley.

Thanks for clearing that up for me evosti
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO! NO SLIGHTLY LARGER CRANK PULLEY! LEAVE IT ALONE! hahaha.
there are downsides to the smaller s/c pulley, mainly being the lack of a clutch, hence the s/c is always on. i spose this could reduce the life, and would most likely result in a poor idle on an engine with the factory ecu.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there have been ppl that have made ones with clutches but yes that can allways be a problem.

some of the setups i have seen use the s/c pulley from the levin gze
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Tue, 22 March 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think the ae101 gze runs 1-2psi more with the smaller pulley from factory.
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Thu, 24 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a 95mm pulley on my sc12 for about a month, thing was an absolute screamer.. pulley came off an EA faclon aircon compressor with activating clutch still working, intake temps were massive.

im currently fitting an sc14 , i doubt sc12 units would last long being spun at that kind of speed... ive seen pics on the net somewhere of the teflon coating separating from the rootes from overspinning the s/c.

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Thu, 24 March 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine ran for over 5 years, 4 of those years was with NO intercooler. its now going strong on someones kombi Smile
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Thu, 24 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://speedchaser.net/103mm.htm

comes with electromagnetic clutch etc
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Thu, 24 March 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.speedchaser.net/small_pulley.htm

Even smaller pulley is available... 95mm
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Wed, 30 March 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone have another contact for speedchaser.net all i get is a "service unavalabile" message.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Wed, 30 March 2005 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate im pretty sure they only do sets of 20 or more there is a group buy maybe starting soon see here

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=94799

no more 95 are going to be made though only 103mm's

I thought you were going turbo?

I am very keen to run my nevo 175mm with a 103mm speedchaser.
15 PSI!!! Torque would be very impressive
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Wed, 30 March 2005 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also this has just started

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=96785
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: smaller 4agze s/c pulley Thu, 31 March 2005 05:53 Go to previous message
old_mr2 wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 04:14

I am very keen to run my nevo 175mm with a 103mm speedchaser.
15 PSI!!! Torque would be very impressive

have you priced up one delivered to australia? Im pretty intrested my self as i want more boost without the problems the bigger crank ones cause.

Although i cant find any mention of what boost the 103mm pulley makes with the stock crank pulley
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:roller rockers for a 4k hybrid
Next Topic:Wat sort of 4age??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:33:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070970058441162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.