Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine conversions for a T-18

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon5.gif  Engine conversions for a T-18 Fri, 31 May 2002 12:00 Go to next message
hi fellow toyota modders, i was wondering if it is possible to fit a 1g-gze in a 1980 T-18, i've spoken to a few people and they are not sure if they could do it, i was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has accually put one in and got it running legally on the road. Also, how much messing around is required if i was to place a 3s-ge in the car.
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
stonz
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Engine conversions for a T-18 Thu, 13 June 2002 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey pheonix
im currently in the process of fitting a 1g-gze into my t-18.
the motor and w55 (i think) gearbox are in.
the length of the s/c pulley requires the removal of 25mm of the radiator support panel, custom engine mounts/gbox xmember but is otherwise just too easy.
the radiator is moved heaps (100mm approx) forward which means removing the bonnet latch and using racing style bonnet pins.
other things worth doing are the vented disks etc.
rego should be no worries as long as all the work is done properly as the base capacity of 2000cc is an exceptable upgrade in w.a
with the motor in it looks like the thing has come from the factory that way - hopefully ill be on the road in a week or two.
oh yeah, the gze fits under the bonnet with room to spare - now that was a surprise!
hope that helps

dave Freak
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: Engine conversions for a T-18 Fri, 14 June 2002 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thnxs stonz, i was just makin sure cause i went into Cypher Industries and they weren't sure if it would go in. which year t-18 do u have, the metal or plastic bumpers? also where did u get your engine from? thanxs for the help
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine conversions for a T-18 Sat, 15 June 2002 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey! this sounds like fun!

I have been considering a 1G with a single turbo if i ever blow the 3TGTE in my T18. Its good to know that height isnt a problem, but didnt think you'd need to move the radiator that far forward.

Please keep me posted! I'd really like to do this conversion myself sometime if its feasible.

are there any problems with steering gear fouling on the motor? does the sump have to be modified? Is the 1G's sump dip in the front?

Cheers

Phil
stonz
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Engine conversions for a T-18 Sat, 15 June 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the sump on the 1g-gze is the mid sump so it clears the steering but requires a bit of the cross member trimmed,

i went the whole hog and removed a larger section to sit the motor as low as possible - really low, but i still required the gze intake manifold as it is about 50mm lower than the gte manifold. now there is about 25mm clearance.

oh yeah, mine is the 82? model t18 with the metal bumpers - at least they were, they were turned to scrap by about 1000 parking prangs - previous owner (of course!).

i got a 1g-gze complete with computer for $1000 from jeff at SSS automotives in nsw - cant recommend him enough, on time and in good nick!

once the car is on the road ill post some pictures.
if you need any progress pictures or info email me on
stonemanracing@hotmail.com
and ill try to help.

final thought-
cost: $4700 (but i bought a 1g-gte before realizing the rear turbo was never going to fit - so knock off $900.)
worth: probably less, but damn it should be fun to drive!
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine conversions for a T-18 Sat, 15 June 2002 15:01 Go to previous message
T-18's are worth nothing no mater what you spend on them

but its good to kno parts are i abundance at any wrecker Smile

Supercharged T-18 will be fun, post some pictures when ya can please Smile

as for TE72_Turbo... gimme ya blown 3T for free please Razz (when its blown of cource)

btw: that T-18 in my avatar, cost me 50$ and it was worth every cent heheheeh

[Updated on: Sat, 15 June 2002 15:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how bad is it to drive around with no oxygen sensor
Next Topic:Spark Plug dramas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 1 17:32:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045568943023682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.