Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
My car i need ideas... help me Wed, 04 May 2005 09:45 Go to next message
hey every1, i have a ke20 corolla, very mint indeed, it was originally goin to be my rotary project but im leanin away from that, im giving it a respray soon, just got to finish off some body work and it will be ready for the paint, but i need help with what to do in the powerplant section, this car will be daily driven, i need a reliable engine with some go of course, ill be clockin up a fair amount of kms, maybe 300-400 kmhs a week depends, i was thinkin about just workin the 3k but i have been told to not bother with it and just get a nice 2.0 ltr or a 4age? ive even had some1 tell me to put a fj20 turbo, so i need some help guyz, im open to comments so let em rip, i can put it in my self so im not worried about conversions, and i dont know how much nethin would cost so i dont know how much i will allow myself to spend, thanks guyz

regards nath
  Send a private message to this user    
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Wed, 04 May 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depending on how much power you want, a nice 4agte could make it go quite nicely.
the engine is relatively small and lighter than the bigger 2L engines.
Plus you can get decent power out of the 4A.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sr20det is quite popular.
if you wanted you could make a very different sr20dett
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The SR20 into a KE20 presents a problem with the steering drag link. Of the two owners I have spoken to with KE20 SR20 conversions they said the steering is not good after modifying it to fit the SR and the cars are only really good in a straight line. One even went to the trouble of rack and pinion to gain the clearance necessary and he said it was still not good enough to put around a track at speed.

The 4AGTE would meet your needs. There is a proven recipe for a reliable 180rwkw or more. If the conversion is done right it will be reliable and very driveable (not too bad on fuel either).

Just a 4AGE will be fun and easy also.

Search the forums ther is heaps of shite on KE20 engine conversions
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2t ?
3t ?
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
13bt
20btt
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed a rotor is the way to go.
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20btt..... you'll be good for over 600rwhp, with a cpl mods Evil or Very Mad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dun know if that would be legal tho atleast not in nsw
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worked 4age or 4agze? reliable and decent on fuel...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
l0l 4agze decent on fuel only if your used to driving a v8
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate it when people say rotor coz that was my original engine option, but some how people detered me from combinin rotor + toyota and said rotors only go with mazdas, still have decided fully yet, but ill work it out, ohh and i saw this engine, 2t-GEU efi.... what are they like.... and does ne1 have ne specs on this engine and what sort of power would i be lookin at with engine and is it a good combo with a ke20 ???
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 14:00

The 4AGTE would meet your needs. There is a proven recipe for a reliable 180rwkw or more. If the conversion is done right it will be reliable and very driveable (not too bad on fuel either).

uummmmmm......... I tend to disagree with the fuel economy bit. the best i have ever got out of a full tank of fuel in my mr2 is 250k's.
The worst being 150k's Very Happy
Dont be fooled, these puppies chew the juice!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

A 2T-GEU pulls around 116hp at the flywheel, so you'll be losing around 25/30 percent to the back wheels. You could do a 2T/3T hybrid, or put in an early 2TG which pulls 124hp at the flywheel and has those delicous carbs.

Don't go the rotar. Leave those silly-sounding heat-pumps for the Mazda lads. Old style Totoya needs an old style classic (almost cult)twin-cam engine like a 2TG. The 2TG will outlast you if it's not abused and will happily get you to work each day and provide some zippy fun on weekends.

seeyuzz
river
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nathos wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 18:28

i hate it when people say rotor coz that was my original engine option, but some how people detered me from combinin rotor + toyota and said rotors only go with mazdas, still have decided fully yet, but ill work it out, ohh and i saw this engine, 2t-GEU efi.... what are they like.... and does ne1 have ne specs on this engine and what sort of power would i be lookin at with engine and is it a good combo with a ke20 ???

honestly the path to power no matter how big or small is alot easier in a rotary you can make 150kw atw with a brigeport can make 300kw atw with a turbo motor all of which would cost big $ with a 4age/gze dont get me wrong it would still cost $ with a rotory but probably half of what it would cost with a piston motor

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:48]

nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i stated above, this car is goin to be a daily, i just want more poke than the 1.2L still in it Confused im lookin for another car for a rotary project, so does the 2tg come efi standard? coz i can get one efi with computer and loom, pretty cheap, what do u guyz think of this engine compared to the 4age?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would put a 4age in it if i had my choice

edit: the 2tg may be easier to put in if it is from a rwd car

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:33]

BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 15:58

l0l 4agze decent on fuel only if your used to driving a v8

"lol"

camparitivley the 4agze is not a thirsty engine.
compare with some of the forced indution motors of choice:
- SR20DET
- BPT
- 3SGTE
- RB26DET the list goes on...... for a forced induction motor they are not as thirsty as some.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you kidding for only 107kw they chew heaps standard boost 4agze normal city driving i get 300km to a 40ltr tank they are ok on the freeway but taking off from lights you are constantly on boost whereas with turbo motors you can stay off boost to an extent. btw 300km is not booting it driving

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:37]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 16:47

nathos wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 18:28

honestly the path to power no matter how big or small is alot easier in a rotary you can make 150kw atw with a brigeport can make 300kw atw with a turbo motor all of which would cost big $ with a 4age/gze dont get me wrong it would still cost $ with a rotory but probably half of what it would cost with a piston motor

ahahah the rotary would last a week!

nah im kidding, but i just dont like the idea of rotary, they are insanely powerful... 26bt ke20 anyone?

id go an EFI 2TG/3T hybrid, 1.8 litre, twinky, the pnly thing i could recommend more than that is the 18rg, since thats a 2 litre!

but yeah, the 2tg/3t is the way to go, because 4age lack balls (torque) Razz

if you get a 2tg and cant be ballsed to convert it to the hybrid, its still good!

Eldar.O.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 19:38

nah im kidding, but i just dont like the idea of rotary, they are insanely powerful... 26bt ke20 anyone?

i dont see the problem Evil or Very Mad
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do u mean about hybrid? does 800 bucks sound good for a 2t-GEU efi with computer and looms, sensors & gearbox? or theres 18RGEU twin cam, fuel injected, and microtech and heavy duty clutch for 1500 and i think it is fully rebuilt? but some1 said the 18r is to heavy for a ke20? to be honest i want it as quick as possible, what will be best? but wont affect my handling? thanks guyz
nathos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
main reason im steering from turbo coz i presumed that they would be less reliable than a n/a, coz thats the goal, i want a very reliable a quick car? is it possible? so hard to decide Confused Confused
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you use a toyota engine its possible
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Turbs are reliable. I think a good NA is more reliable. I also think the 18RG engine would be a bit heavy for a KE20 and may upset the balance by having too much weight at the front.

The 2TG purchase sounds pretty good, considering it has the gbox also. I think it would be easier to fit the 2TG into your car as opposed to putting in the 4age.

I don't know what your current 1.2ltr engine puts out, but I'm sure you'll notice the increase in power with a 2TG, or 4age, or 3T/2T hybrid.

seeyuzz
river
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Thu, 05 May 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nathos wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 20:37

i want a very reliable quick car? is it possible? so hard to decide Confused Confused

My car is pretty much along those lines. Well, once i sort out a boost leak and my clutch but other than that i drive it everyday and dont have any dramas.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Fri, 06 May 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Thu, 05 May 2005 18:34

uummmmmm......... I tend to disagree with the fuel economy bit. the best i have ever got out of a full tank of fuel in my mr2 is 250k's.
The worst being 150k's Very Happy
Dont be fooled, these puppies chew the juice!

Bloody hell - does an Mr2 only have a coke can for a fuel tank??? - I get 500 Kms on a regular basis out of a mildly worked 3sgte , in a car that weighs half a tonne more than an Aw11 ..

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Fri, 06 May 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he does make 200kw atw and the mr2 has a 38-40 ltr tank usually you only use 35ltrs b4 filling up so 200 atw + 35 ltrs = crap fuel economy but even a standard 4agze will drink the petrol due to the nature of the supercharger
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Fri, 06 May 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh tiny tank - that pretty much explains the WTF reaction

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Sat, 07 May 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 19:05

Ahh tiny tank - that pretty much explains the WTF reaction

Laughing

Size isnt everything man! Very Happy
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Sat, 07 May 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a ke20 thatl il be putting a 4a into in the not too distant future

for a ke20 i would recomend a 4a, be it turbo, sc or n/a, they are a great engine,

although i am quite biased.
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing a 4age conversion into my ke25.
"because 4age lack balls (torque)" Whats that about? it would only weigh 700kg. You wouldn't need that much torque.
Michael
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Megz wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 14:09

"because 4age lack balls (torque)" Whats that about? it would only weigh 700kg. You wouldn't need that much torque.
Michael

http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/balls.JPG

nuff said.

Eldar.O.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 16:24

Megz wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 14:09

Michael

http://members.iinet.net.au/~asterix/balls.JPG

nuff said.

Eldar.O.

the t series motors chew more oil than petrol
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what does that have to do with the amount of torque they have?

4agte's are known for their lack of torque, meaning they are actually better for a drag car, since they have a smaller amount of torque which means more traction.

but for a street driven car, you dont want to be running around with the tacho in the cars powerband, which in some cases is 5k plus.

and any engine which is treated like shit will chew oil.

Eldar.O.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 16:30

4agte's are known for their lack of torque, meaning they are actually better for a drag car, since they have a smaller amount of torque which means more traction.

but for a street driven car, you dont want to be running around with the tacho in the cars powerband, which in some cases is 5k plus.

Eldar.O.

arent 3tgte`s a 2ltr???

If thats the case a 308 holdens gonna have more torque according to your logic he should put one of those in b/c it has more torque.

A 4age would be fine and is really a much better engine to make faster
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 16:35

Eldar.O.

arent 3tgte`s a 2ltr???

If thats the case a 308 holdens gonna have more torque according to your logic he should put one of those in b/c it has more torque.

Thankyou!
And cheaper might i add.
Michael
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Mon, 09 May 2005 14:35

Eldar.O.

arent 3tgte`s a 2ltr???

news to me, i thought they were 1.8...

i dont know what the hell a holden 308 is, and i dont care.

if he wants to go faster, the answer is simple, 3TGTE, this engine has more power, is simpler, comes in carby, and above all is better suited to old cars.

the 4age would be good if he wanted a track car, as it is a lighter engine, and would give him more of a chance to keep it in the engines powerband, which, if you drove around on roads, would cost him a shitload more than what the 3tgte.

3tgte = less fuel for same power.

this is the statement im trying to make.

the 4age is an awesome engine, with some of them producing more than 300hp at the flywheel.

but at the same time, many a 3tgte has produced this same result with alot less money.

do you know that carby engines are more reliable that efi?

if he wants a powerful, reliable, cheap to run turbo car, the 3tgte is the way to go.

not that it matter, for all i care he can stick a 1.3 litre starlet turbo in. (im not referring to the ek models of starlet, although these would be bolt up)

Eldar.O.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah and then the carby goes out of tune all the time.

Ohh ok so its a 1.8 still the same reasoning

Obviously you have a love affair with 3tgte but if it were me id take technology over a boat anchor
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw you can also run the 4age`s with a carby setup if you really want to but y would you

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 06:53]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: My car i need ideas... help me Mon, 09 May 2005 07:00 Go to previous message
ahaha i love 3tgtes as much as you love 4ages...

wheres the harm in that?

saying that, you havent denied that its a cheaper more powerful engine.

i wouldnt care though, im killing some terrorist scum on splinter cell: pandora tomorrow as we type. so Razz

Eldar.O.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:price range modifications
Next Topic:go kart
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 13:34:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01078200340271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.