Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dr Squat
Newcomer

May 2005
big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Mon, 09 May 2005 09:43 Go to next message
Well there is a rattling noise in N04 cylinder and was proven when my mechanic unattached injector from that cylinder and rattling cease to exist when car was revved.

Well he is going to drop the sump tomorrow and see what is going on and find out how much damage is done. He said if there is damamge to the crank it will need machining etc. Hopefully i will just have to replace bearing.

Was wondering what people think i should do should i just have the bottom end rebuilt with stronger internals or pay about $300 to have the bearing replaced if there is no damage to the crank etc or anywhere else.

I can also get a another second hand 20v bottom end for $180 or complete engine for $400 minus quads and manifolds which i dont need anyways, So i'm considering that as well. So many options but unsure of what to do.

BLOODY 20V.

Anyone had similar problems.
  Send a private message to this user    
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Mon, 09 May 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the most common failure of 4AG engines. I've repaired heaps of them. it is mostly caused by using cheap oil and infrequent changes. I have a rebuilt 20V bottom end avail ready to go and can ship to you, if that helps. email me at work if interested. roadandtrack@hypermax.net.au. also, See my wanted advert--'m chasing an engine to reco for a friend with a PRB clubman.
Dr Squat
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Tue, 10 May 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your a bit far away for me but ill keep it in mind. So what do you find is the best oil to be used in these engines any particular preference?

Well about a year ago i nearly ran the engine down to empty before my next service as the oil used was too light. So maybe over time it caused this problem. It actually got to the point where the engine was making this funny noise like a ticking noise and if it wasn't for that i would have a screwed engine.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Wed, 11 May 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What and excuse just to.....Rebuild it!
Dr Squat
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Wed, 11 May 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry at this point in time no rebuild. Mechanic has looked at it and said crank is in excellent nick and only damage apart from the bearing is minor damage to the conrod so i'm just gonna have bearings replaced for the time being.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Wed, 11 May 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if a chunks ripped out of the conrod, and you have an engine that revs as high as a 20valve, im assuming silver top, not that it matters, being unbalanced leaves a possiblity of your engine causing more damage to itself...

Eldar.O.
Dr Squat
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v) Fri, 13 May 2005 10:48 Go to previous message
Well bearings have been replaced i actually spun a big end bearing luckily no damage to crank so car is fine for now. Cost me $440 all up so it better last a bit.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:No Spark 1GGTE
Next Topic:3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 19:35:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046288967132568 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.