Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 03:16 Go to next message
Ok, I figured it was about time I put up some pics of my project car (lets just hope it doesn't take as long as JCMF's! Razz)

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC00598.JPG

The car was picked up with trade plates and Blakes (v8_ma61) help (ta dude), and driven home. Its a 11/84 Aus MA61. I have no idea about the primer on the bonnet/lights, it doesn't look like it was in a prang, but I can't explain why its there....

It was running like a POS on 4/5 cylinders, didn't want to idle (quite fun at lights) and needed to get jump started Confused. It proceeded to overheat (suspect stuck thermostat) and I continued to drive it for about 15-20mins with the digital dash blinking at the top of the hot mark (yep, if you've never really overheated an MA61 before it blinks when it gets right to the top Razz). Got it home Smile

Changed a plug and installed the plug leads so that they actually went to the correct cylinders Rolling Eyes and it ran very nicely, especially considering it now had a BHG (diagnosed later) Razz
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC01129.JPG

Also put a set of SA63/RA6X wheels on it (which look a lot better than the steelies that were on it), and cleaned the engine (to try and sell it)
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC01120.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC01128.JPG

Engine was sold (I still can't believe it!), to a person that was told that it had a BHG. I was happy to see it go Smile
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC01143.JPG

And the engine bay then looked like....
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/MA61/tn_DSC01147.JPG

After the car was first bought, I spent some time looking into the engine options...I decied I was either going to do 1UZ or 1JZ (2JZ being out of my budget Razz). I really was leaning toward a 1UZ when 7M-Brisbane's 1JZ and bits came up. So I bought that, 1JZ-GTE minus turbo/piping, ps, ac and other random annoying little bits Razz, with w58 & dellow bellhousing and OS Giken Twin Plate clutch.

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01047.JPG

I decided to 'bling' it all up. The plan is to paint the car a dark purple (as seen on commodore ss's etc) and I think gold should go ok with that (I hope so!) Laughing
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01359.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01353.JPG

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:57]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, ab00t time!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good there wilbo.

Sometimes it is great when other people abandon their project and you get a good deal !!!

What are the other plans - suapension/wheels/brakes etc - If you need any help in those bits, let me know

Cheers

Michael B
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently my plans for the car go as follows
-Remove everything for engine bay, prep and paint
-Clean underneath of car and paint with POR15 (to enable easy cleaning in future Smile)
-Put the engine/gearbox in.
-Sort out intercooler/inlet piping

I'm trying to decide if I should make my own water to air intercooler, or buy a 'cheap' front mount. Really hard trying to decide what to do. I really do like the WA idea however...

I'm also trying to decide what to do in the way of inlet. I want to have an air box with a cold air feed up from underneath the guard, but I'm trying to decide if I will get better results from making an air box that has 2 large panel filers or just using one enclosed pod...

Peoples opinions on my options...?

-Sort out wiring
-Drive Razz
-At a later date
-Paint rest of car
-Redo interior (while painting car)

I did seriously entertain thoughts of seam welding the car (I will be taking it to track days), but it looks like it will be too much work and too much time that I can't really justify spending (also the fact that I would need to acquire a welder and learn how to weld doesn't help!).

I also want to convert to coilover & 5stud and bigger brakes, but that project will be tackled after the car is on the road and any little issues have been sorted out. So many options here at the moment. I am going to try and get a contact at a brake place and see if I can get undersized rotors off a few cars and see what looks like it can be made to work. I'm after about 315 to 330mm I hope (I'm going to look into two piece rotor designs as well). I would love to find a set of ST205 calipers but we can't all be as lucky as Ed Razz

Another thing I might do is cut off a lower stub axle and goto the wreckers and see if I can find any other 5 stud hubs that fit Smile

Will keep all updated on progress

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 13:10

I'm after about 315 to 330mm I hope (I'm going to look into two piece rotor designs as well). I would love to find a set of ST205 calipers but we can't all be as lucky as Ed Razz

Ed (326mm x 30mm & ST205 calipers), Norb's (300 x 30mm & R33 GTR calipers) and I (326 x 30mm & 300ZX calipers) can give you 3 different options there. I am also entertaining the thought of fitting the 336 x 32 discs (ex HSV Coupe 4) and Mitsi Evo VI calipers as a mini project once the car is running again.

Need any help here, let me know.

Another thing I might do is cut off a lower stub axle and goto the wreckers and see if I can find any other 5 stud hubs that fit Smile

MS65 - Staright bolt up
Z32T - Staright bolt up, but needs minor tickle on grease seal.
Don't waste time researching, as no other ones fit. Ed and others in the states have researched this thouroughly.

Cheers

Michael B

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:18]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R33 GTR calipers and matching 324mm discs should work with the adapter setup CrUZsida and I sorted out. That's another option.

I'd hope it doesn't take as long as mine either, but the time and money had to come from somewhere, and I didn't always have both.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the adapter I got off Cruzida will work with breaks other than the 300ZX items? That's good to know, Cause i've got a kit thing from Cruzida sitting at home waiting for new breaks + wheels.

Also, good luck with the project Wilbo! This was the car sitting under the big tarp when I came to get the Cressida seat right?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything that will bolt on to an R32/R33 will bolt on using that kit.
You just have to find rims to go around it.

You can get 343x32mm brakes for R33's, if only I had a spare 5k to blow..
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 14:15

R33 GTR calipers and matching 324mm discs should work with the adapter setup CrUZsida and I sorted out. That's another option.

I thought that the two options were 280mm discs and R23/Z32 300ZX Calipers, and 296mm discs and R33 Calipers ?

Does the 324mm discs use the R33 GTR Brembo Calipers ? If so, those calipers are BLOOODY expensive !!!

But really, that is 7 different MA61 BBK options !!!

Who said that there were no options for the MA61 Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it boils down to Nissan making most things interchangable. You'd have to double-check before you committed to anything (I can't afford them to check), but basically as CrUZsida said, if it can bolt to an R32/R33 it should bolt to the adapters.

Generally in Nissan speak, that means a matched pair of calipers and rotors. I know they all share the same overall disc height, and same hat size, all I need is someone to check the leg size on them Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, bolts on, under $4k

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Pricelists/General/Brakes/apbigbrakekit.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pffft, they are only 343mm and cost $3,850

Whereas thes epuppies are 365mm, 6 piston calipers and are cheaper at $3,395 Shocked

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/pricelists/General/Brakes/porschebrakekit.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Images1a/Specials/porschecalipers.jpg

They are selling them as used with new seals for $1095 per pair, and the discs, hats & bells for another $2100. Pagid pads are available at $590 per set

Did anyone say BRAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 14:16

Ed (326mm x 30mm & ST205 calipers), Norb's (300 x 30mm & R33 GTR calipers) and I (326 x 30mm & 300ZX calipers) can give you 3 different options there. I am also entertaining the thought of fitting the 336 x 32 discs (ex HSV Coupe 4) and Mitsi Evo VI calipers as a mini project once the car is running again.

Need any help here, let me know.

MS65 - Staright bolt up
Z32T - Staright bolt up, but needs minor tickle on grease seal.
Don't waste time researching, as no other ones fit. Ed and others in the states have researched this thouroughly.

Cheers

Michael B

Ed's method of finding 5 stud hubs was very elegant/good. But what about hubs that have the same inner diameters but different outers? That wouldn't have turned up in his search. I also recall something about USA starion hubs fitting (we didn't get them over here so prbly useless info)?

Such as the Z31T hub. I've been meaning to ask you, where on earth do I source a set of Z31T hubs!

I was thinking about using....(from DBA catalog, the numbers should make sense to you!)
3000 GT 5/94 - on Vented 314 45.5 30 28.4 69 5

And just looking at numbers quickly in the past thought that would go well if it could be used in an over hub mount setup (such as the R32,R33) on an MS65 hub, using R32 calipers and custom brackets. Many unknowns in there tho however!

I don't really want to use Z32/R32 calipers on a 330mm disk, even tho I understand that even tho the pad area is not the whole disk face it is further out, and hence you have more leverage on the disk...I really can't justify it. Maybe I should say I want to keep unsprung weight down Wink

I do have a contact with a CNC lathe/mill, and I was, (this is years away we all realise Razz) when the time came about going to seriously look into a two piece design and using a 315mm wilwood or similar disk. That way disk hat height etc would not be a issue. Also replacement disk cost would be cheaper I suspect? (I'm not sure on the cost of two piece rotors).

JKMF: I can relate to you. This is very much a budget endeavor, hopefully it'll get there one day Smile

peeack: Yep this was the car under the cover when you came around Smile

PS thanks for the hijack, but I don't have 4k, in fact the total project so far is still under that I think!

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:42]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 13 May 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lub it long time. The gold is cooool.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 14 May 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, where did you get the turbos from again? Wink

Looks good Wilbo. That gold is awesome!

BTW brakes are for wusses Razz
j/k
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 14 May 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your starter motor and block make me wish i had an engine stand and repainted mine before it went in, that looks absolutely HORN Cool
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 15 May 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 14:18

Sorry, where did you get the turbos from again? Wink

Looks good Wilbo. That gold is awesome!

BTW brakes are for wusses Razz
j/k

Hehe, yep thanks to chris for the turbos and most of the piping Smile

The thank you list is pretty long already!

Thanks to glen (blacksupra) for the PS and AC, manny for some little parts, blake and charles (house moving help in particular!) for their help, I'm sure there are more people to thank, but I'll try and get around to thanking them when I remember!!

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 16 May 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Fri, 13 May 2005 16:01

I also recall something about USA starion hubs fitting (we didn't get them over here so prbly useless info)?

Such as the Z31T hub. I've been meaning to ask you, where on earth do I source a set of Z31T hubs!

I was thinking about using....(from DBA catalog, the numbers should make sense to you!)
3000 GT 5/94 - on Vented 314 45.5 30 28.4 69 5

And just looking at numbers quickly in the past thought that would go well if it could be used in an over hub mount setup (such as the R32,R33) on an MS65 hub, using R32 calipers and custom brackets. Many unknowns in there tho however!

I don't really want to use Z32/R32 calipers on a 330mm disk, even tho I understand that even tho the pad area is not the whole disk face it is further out, and hence you have more leverage on the disk...I really can't justify it. Maybe I should say I want to keep unsprung weight down Wink

I do have a contact with a CNC lathe/mill, and I was, (this is years away we all realise Razz) when the time came about going to seriously look into a two piece design and using a 315mm wilwood or similar disk. That way disk hat height etc would not be a issue. Also replacement disk cost would be cheaper I suspect? (I'm not sure on the cost of two piece rotors).

JKMF: I can relate to you. This is very much a budget endeavor, hopefully it'll get there one day Smile

peeack: Yep this was the car under the cover when you came around Smile

PS thanks for the hijack, but I don't have 4k, in fact the total project so far is still under that I think!

Cheers
Wilbo

US Starion Hubs - would be hard to get and expensive to post - the jury is still out on whether they will fit.

Z31T hub - any decent Nissan wrecker - they are reasonably plentiful compared to MS65 crown.

Yep, 3000Gt discs would work OK, but they are expensive, hence why I didn't use them.

Disc over hub would be same as CrUZida, but 5 stud, so no real issue except that MS65 bub has mounting face furthetr outboard and this needs to be taken into account.

Two piece discs will be even more expensive depending on what you use.

Cheers

Michael B
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Tue, 17 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. I haven't actually looked at a 3000gt disk, so I wasn't sure if they are mounted over the hub OEM or not Smile

Expensive is not good Confused I don't like expensive Razz

Does the Z31T have the same hub face distance as the MA61? Or does it change the required wheel offset (neglecting disk mounting style)?

Is the cost of the actual disk for a two piece setup expensive (forgetting about the cost of the disk hats)?

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Tue, 17 May 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me neither, hence going for the WRX items...

I think from my meaasurements, the hub face on the Z31T sits 2mm further in than MS65.

With 2 piece discs, the discs tend to be more expensive as they tend to be better quality, but you can get some cheap rotors.

Cheers

Michael B

PS I have a set of each type of hub if you need a set Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 20 May 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's starting to look more like a complete engine Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01366.JPG

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01370.JPG

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ-GTE/tn_DSC01368.JPG

bbaacchhyy: I'm flat out at the moment, but when I get some time I'll try and start looking at the brakes thing a little better Smile It is good to know you have a spare set of both hubs tho Wink

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 20 May 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So much bling!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 21 May 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, that is beautiful Wilbo! Very Happy
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 21 May 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, that engine looks sweeeet Shocked

Good luck with the project Very Happy
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 21 May 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice engine paint, are your number plates going to read 'C3P01J'? Razz
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 22 May 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks much more bling in real life Smile

I quite like the look of it
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Tue, 24 May 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yor lucky the paint shop didn't accuse you of stocking up cans for chroming Wink

lookin' very nice wil'

cheers, Charles
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 30 May 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark me. we need to line that engine up against my dirty POS

and those porsche brakes would SO be mine if I had $4k lying around (and had bought 18" rims)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 30 May 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the kind words people Smile

The number plates will not be'c3po1j' Razz they will be 'wilbo' Razz

Ha at least yours goes draven! And the look on my face when I go through the first puddle should be fun Laughing

Just in case anyone cared.....the dipstick from an aristo front sump doesn't just fit up....required much bending Mad is the design of the oil cooler different between models (thats what it wanted to foul on)? Anyway problem solved now, just wished I had of test fitted it before I painted it...*DOH*

Questions for people with 1jz's in things....

-power steering lines....which way do yours route? atm my plan is to see if Enzed and the like have a joiner such that I can joint two general PS hoses that fit my needs from a wreckers...yes I am very very cheap....Sad Saves buying custom lines Smile I want to go under the motor personally, just wondering that everyone else has done...(I know Johals go all the way around the front). (I'm unsure but I'm going to hazard a guess that everything that comes with a 1jz has the HP rack line on the passenger side?)

Cheers
Wilbo

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 30 May 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, with the front sump comes plenty of room to run 2 PS lines under the motor.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 30 May 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 20:12

Just in case anyone cared.....the dipstick from an aristo front sump doesn't just fit up....required much bending Mad is the design of the oil cooler different between models (thats what it wanted to foul on)?

Sounds like the 1UZ

The front sump models actually run a different aircon compressor because the dipstick fouls the compressor from other models (found this out the hard way Rolling Eyes )
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 30 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ps lines run under the engine too, no dramas there
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 11 June 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was going to post an update with some pics but my hosting is dead to the world atm (will add the pics later I guess....).

Gearbox had the rear extension housing off to swap shifter linkages (haven't got the linkage to put in it yet so its just all finger tight back together to stop things crawling in it and what not...). Looks like a gearbox... Razz

While removing the shift linkage arm I noticed where the long arm (that actually changes the gears) goes into the rear extension housing has actual bearings, I don't remember 100% but I swear the other box I've stripped just had brass bushes there? Other people?

My clutch is ready to be picked up from the clutch shop, will try and get it on tuesday Smile

ps see you homo's at the all toyota day tomorrow if your going Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 11 June 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Wilbo, I'm moving back to QLD soon, so if you ever want to check out my car (ma61 + non VVTI 1j) you're welcome to see how things are plumbed etc.
I'll be back there in a few weeks.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 12 June 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work Cool

you will need to wear sunglasses when you are working on that engine Razz

keep updating
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Tue, 14 June 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Berry (Race Clutch at Stones Corner) is EXCELLENT!

If your in Brisbane and need clutch help, I'd see him. Much better to deal with than Nicks or Direct Clutch in my experience.

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/Gearbox%20Clutch/tn_DSC01383.JPG

It looks like a gearbox...

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 06:31]

Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Thu, 23 June 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will mate

its gonna be such a dream. just remember, with that colour scheme you're going for, make damn certain you have purple or gold shagpile on your parcel shelf

Cool oh yeah baby
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 03 July 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK!!! Time for an update!

While I had my box apart I went round to norbies and had a look/comparison to his munted boxes. Found a few differences, which I will post in another thread at some stage. Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Car/Online%20W5X%20Gearbox%20Comparision/tn_DSC01486.JPG

I had to move house (bah I hate moving house!), so that seriously moved forward my plans regarding the JZA61 Smile The 1jz is now sitting in the engine bay with gearbox, clutch etc done such that I should not have to take the engine out again (at least to get it running!). The downside to this is that it meant that I did not get around to painting the engine bay as I wanted Sad buggar! On the upside I have a deadline of 3-4 months to get it running now! Pics will come in the next post. Smile So it will be going soon (or I will be in deep shite!)

I sorted out the PS lines, RA60 celicas have the PS pump on the passenger side (same arrangement as what is required for 1JZ into ma61), so I acquired the high pressure and low pressure lines, and made some custom brackets out of some alloy I had (lots of fucking around to get them to line up OK Confused). The upside is, that it looks pretty dang close to a factory setup was cheap as chips, and the best thing was that both ends of the HP line fit out without a drama Wink (i.e. the rack end has the right fitting and the PS pump end also has the right fitting Smile). I will also put the pics up I have of this when I get time.

Cheers
Wilbo

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 03 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3-4 months deadline sounds bloody good to me! Will we finally get to see a jza61/jzz10 hit the strip? Wink
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Wed, 06 July 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK!!!

Below is a picture of the stock MA61 PS line setup, as you can see the High Pressure line (HP) is on the wrong side in relation to a 1JZ...
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20PS%20lines/tn_DSC01535.JPG

however it just so happens that RA60's have the same predicament...RA60 PS lines.... Wink
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20PS%20lines/tn_DSC01536.JPG

A little bit of work later drilling, bending and filing some aluminum, I had some bracket to bolt the RA60 lines to the MA61. It took a bit of time to organise it such that the very short flexible HP line at the rack wouldn't rub on anything...but the end result seemed ok...the return line does seem to sit a little low, at about 5mm lower than the engine crossmember, but I'm living with it...
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20PS%20lines/tn_DSC01540.JPG

And the best part is that the other end of the RA60 line will bolt into the JZ PS pump Smile
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20PS%20lines/tn_DSC01575.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20PS%20lines/tn_DSC01576.JPG

Best of all it cost me all of about $15, oh yeah Smile
(also its a very close to factory finish, you'd be hard pressed to spot that it wasn't original Smile)

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Wed, 06 July 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And the day starts...

step 1: move 1JZ + assorted gear to middle of garage...
step 2: ???
step 3: profit

You can tell that it's the start of the day by the way that it is clean Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01545.JPG

I love my dellow bellhousing Smile it only took me about 30-45mins of filing the clutch fork hole to get it to a state where I was confident it wouldn't bind (OK OK this might have been due to my own fault as I did relocate the clutch for the the other side myself...Oh and I'll mention that there is no way a toyota slave will bolt straight up, even if you do drill and tap the holes required, the rear of the slave fouls on the bellhousing, spacers are required, and then it will attempt to push on the wrong angle, I have a solution worked out which I will implement at some stage... Mad

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01548.JPG

We all know that close to stock 1JZ's are sooo tough Rolling Eyes that they need a serious clutch... I have an OS Giken twin plate clutch that should be upto the task at hand. Being serious a twin plate is massive overkill for the close to stock 1jz that I will have at least initially (intercooler/exhaust/boost/CAI). It did come with my engine though so it was a nice bonus, the best thing about the setup is the flywheel if you ask me Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01550.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01559.JPG

A little later in the day there was an interesting encounter....its went along the lines of the following...

"Master 1JZ, I would like to introduce you to your soon to be best friend, Mr MA61...you two play nice now" Wink

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01566.JPG

And finally there was a 1JZ resting in the engine bay Smile Took a little bit of work to get the engine mount to crossmember holes to line up, but other than that it was OK. A note, if your MA61 supra had an engine dampener mount on the crossmember be sure to grind it off BEFORE trying to install the engine Smile (I was rushing for time and didn't think it would get in the way, incorrect).

The next saga is installing the turbos, manmx83 is kindly helping me with the twin dumps off the turbos (legend!), then it will be a matter of...
-the rest of the exhaust
-intercooler piping
-airbox
-heaterhoses
-the small amount of wiring required

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Wed, 06 July 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good Wilbo. I don't understand PS systems so I will just nod and agree Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Wed, 06 July 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very clever in adapting an existing part, and looking good.

I made my P/S solution easy. Just removed it !!!! Laughing Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Wed, 06 July 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my landy I had to bend up new lines from SS and get some flexible lines made up and track down another one of those JIC type nuts for the pump end, interestingly enough it came from a troopy which also suited the 1J pump. I tell you this cost alot more than 15 bucks.

Wilbo: Have you found a suitable boot for the clutch fork hole? I still havent just bodgied it a bit at the moment, but it's not up to the riggours of 4WDing.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 23:44]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Thu, 07 July 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 09:43

Wilbo: Have you found a suitable boot for the clutch fork hole? I still havent just bodgied it a bit at the moment, but it's not up to the riggours of 4WDing.

Hmm, I actually saw mine at the wreckers (in the gearbox pile) and grabbed it as I thought it would work, I think it was off a Nissan or Toyota 4wd box Confused It doesn't fit the hole 100%, it needs to be a bit longer, it defiantly isn't a water tight solution (which is what I suspect you would be looking for?)...Can't really help more than that...did I mention I love my dellow bellhousing? Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Thu, 07 July 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought since dellow produces these things the same size they would know what boot to use. So I rang them and got the usual custom service ":GRUNT: Dunno :GRUNT:" Hangup Laughing
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Thu, 07 July 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woops! I meant to put this picture up the other day!

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/1JZ%20Install/tn_DSC01570.JPG

Cheers
Wilbo
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Thu, 07 July 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man 1J's look plain without their coil / cam covers. But hay, it's IN the engine bay now, nice work!.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 10 July 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, not a whole lot of progress to report...

Took the best part of saturday to work out how to bolt all the water lines, actuators, hoses etc. Bit of a mess when you have to work out where it all goes. Was able to cut the mid sump turbo oil drain hose for the front turbo, and need to goto the hose shop and get some longer hose for the rear turbo as yet.

Have sorted out the water lines (not radiator hoses yet), not hard SA63 hose on the drivers side to the water valve (a little bit of trimming was needed), and just a piece of hose from near the rear turbo to the heater on the other side (the bend required is not severe). Easy.

I also acquired the plugs required to integrate into the MA61 body loom so I can adapt them to the JZZ30 loom to make the wiring a plug and play affair. Hopefully I'll finish that Up soon.

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 10 July 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good Wilbo.

Just one thing, did you get the nut out of that turbo?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 11 July 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 07:38

Sounds good Wilbo.

Just one thing, did you get the nut out of that turbo?

I never found it in there! I looked and looked! You 100% sure it didn't fall out at some stage while you were handling it? It fell in the front turbo correct? I was just sitting here thinking of why I didn't take the front housing off to check, but I recall now it has a giant circlip and I don't have a set of circlip pliers large enough! Smile I did probe it with a long zip tie to ensure that there was no way there could be anything in there.... Smile

(if it fell in the rear turbo it's not really important, I'm using the rear turbo that came with my engine, yours look like the exhaust seals may be shagged due to the large amount of carbon in the exhaust cover, price was right tho!) Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 11 July 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it was the front turbo. I am not 100% sure that it didn't come out but I didn't see it so...? As long as you checked and it spins it should be ok. It should be pretty easy to tell if there is a nut in there I would think.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Mon, 11 July 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap that's alotta progress since last time I saw it! Looking good.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Fri, 15 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/Intercooler/DSC01602.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/Intercooler/DSC01603.JPG

wilbo now has an intercooler...its only a hybrid copy thing (600x300x76mm), but yeah meh...wilbo is now on the scope for a cheap supplier (in brisbane) for mild steel bends, need to start working on intercooler piping...

On another note I typed a bitch on here the other day about the turbo oil drain hose, but for some reason didn't post it (I thought I did, but yeah?)... finding the 22mm oil resistant hose that was required for the turbo oil drain was actually quite hard! I had to go to 2 different specialty hose stores and they looked at me like I was on crack when I asked for 22mm hose Razz It's apparently a rare size in Aus (22mm = 7/8th"), more common in yank land...anyway, to end the story I was pissed at having to pay $9.90 for 20cm of hose Mad but I guess these things happen some times...

Also, I still haven't located an accelerator cable, went to the wreckers, but it looks like MA61's run the longest cable around pretty well...I guess everyone uses the one that comes with their front cut! Razz SO i'm going to have to start a wanted thread asking for a jza70 / jzz30 accelerator cable I think...

Thats about all for this update...may try and get some stuff done on the weekend Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 16 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today saw more work take place...

I cannot believe how much work is required to remove a ma61 front bumper bar! Having to remove the under wheel arch guards is annoying, as is the double 10mm bolts holding the front panel to each guard...thanks Toyota Rolling Eyes

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/16-07-2005/tn_DSC01607.JPG

Anyway got it off...just took a while Wink

I then decided to see if I could re-route the wires over in the drivers side of the engine bay, I want to seal this section off with a shield running along the top of the chassis rail to the start of the strut tower and then using the bonnet as the lid. The wires that exist in that area to start with would somewhat get in the way of my plans for that!

It looks like its going to be a very easy job! Only require the extension of two wires, too easy he says!

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/16-07-2005/tn_DSC01618.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/16-07-2005/tn_DSC01619.JPG

It is looking much neater already I think!

I then started looking at intercooler piping, it looks like I will have to mount the intercooler a little lower than I'd like, but there really isn't much that can be done about that...

The drivers side looks straight forward, I will just cut a small amount of metal from around where the stock PS cooler (if you can call it that) goes throught, and it should fit well.

The passenger side looks a little harder...I'd like to keep the battery where it is at the moment (even though in the future I would like to relocate it to the rear), but I'm not sure if it will be possible! I need to take a closer look at it...

EDIT: peeack, where do your intercooler pipes run mate! Any chance of some pics? Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/16-07-2005/tn_DSC01613.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/16-07-2005/tn_DSC01615.JPG

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Sat, 16 July 2005 13:53]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sat, 16 July 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can take some pics for you no worries! Or you can come round have a look? Up to you mate Very Happy (I can't bring it round to your place, it's out of rego Sad with a busted rear gearbox seal and needs tyres. sigh)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 17 July 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update for today...geez it feels like I never stop working on the thing Wink

Managed to lengthen the wires I needed to clean the divers side of the engine bay, quite happy with the end result Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/17-07-2005/tn_DSC01633.JPG

With the plastic piece in place you would be hard pressed to pick it at all...I also move the horn a little lower and outward to make room for the intercooler pipe. On that I swapped the horns from each side (they have mirrored electrical connections), which made it possible to mount it further away as I wanted Smile

The headlight retractor relay is also tucked up underneath the guard now Smile

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/17-07-2005/tn_DSC01634.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/17-07-2005/tn_DSC01635.JPG

I also got around to quickly making some brackets for my PS cooler which will be in the lower passenger front area...the brackets are only alloy and seem to flex a little too much for my liking, I suspect I will re-make them in mild steel for a bit more strength Smile Also the more I look at it, the crappier that top bracket looks Razz I definitely think I can do better Laughing

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/17-07-2005/tn_DSC01636.JPG

Also looking at the intercooler piping at bit more, I think I have sorted it out Smile I will enlarger the collection of holes in the drivers side sheetmetal, and for the passenger side I will run through the triangle where the swaybar/castor rod mount Smile Should all work well Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 17 July 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good there Wilbo. Can't wait to see some more pics. I too wanted to clean up the front wiring as you have done, but not intendingh to take off the front to achieve it so it will have to stay as is.

PS Bring on the Short shifter.

Cheers

Micvhael B
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wilbo's JZA61 Sun, 24 July 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Made a little more progress this weekend!

I now have the fuel filter in place, stock MA61 EFI fuel filter, stock MA61 input EFI line bolts in place (mine is perished however so I'm on the hunt for a new/SH one...), using a SV21 mounting bracket (drilled and cut a little bit, its only held on by one bolt, but I think it is fine). I used a Daihatsu Charade to get the Right angle banjo -> banjo line I wanted to go from the output of the filter to the input to the 1JZ Smile

Then I got onto a bit of wiring...

Shorted out the neutral start switch, and then tapped up hid the remaining auto wires under the intake manifold...

I wasn't able to find the male end of the JZZ30 plug (near the fuse/relay box in the engine bay) on the existing loom (or any other toyota for that matter!) so I transfered the pins to a plug that I had both halves to.

I wired up +B from the existing MA61 efi relay output, and then came across the problem of where to get the ECU's constant BATT from...I really wanted to use the existing EFI fuse in the MA61 relay/fuse box. Unfortunately there is no output from the MA61 fusebox/relay box after the EFI fuse / before the Relay output.

I decided to take apart the relay/fuse box and add my own wire that is unswitched battery voltage, fused on the EFI fuse Smile It's a bit of a pain to get the box apart, but not undoable...

Of course the track / connector that I wanted to tap into required me removing both the internal layers, again nothing hard, just annoying. Then I just soldered on the wire and did a little bit of clearance cutting, drilled the hole so that the wire could come out the bottom and *BAM*, modded relay/fuse box that has a fused battery output Smile

Insides of the relay/fuse box...
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/24-07-2005/tn_DSC01646.JPG

Finished modding...(red-white wire is the new output)
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/JZA61/24-07-2005/tn_DSC01652.JPG

Heaps still yet to be done Confused

Cheers
Wilbo

I might leave writing more about the wring until I know that it all works Wink

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Project Decade - GA61 Celica XX
Next Topic:1993 subaru liberty
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:15:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098268985748291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.