Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. Cheers everyone for all your advice and help, it's done!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

icon6.gif  Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. Cheers everyone for all your advice and help, it's done! Thu, 19 May 2005 05:01 Go to next message
Disclaimer: I searched. Very Happy

I'm probably going to do a service on my car myself this weekend, but I need to know some quick info

I searched, and for the oil filter I found that I needed "Z418"... any particular brand that can be recommended?

What Spark plugs should I purchase? When I searched for this too, I found that gold28 mentioned BCPR6EP-11 & BCPR6ES-11 .

What's the easiest way to tighted up the belts if they need it? My power steering squeals like all buggery when i reach full lock, and sometimes it squeals when i move it when the car's still cold Confused

Also, at high rpm i can hear a belt slipping. NFI what it is.

Should I just get a new air filter, or should I buy a pod (i dont really care for bling factor, but i'll get it if theyre not difficult to fit... i do want to run it down a bit behind my front bar to get some colder air)

If I'm going to get a new air filter, which model one do I need to get?

We talked about oils before in the soarer thread I think it was, but which one was the most recommended? Should I go with an older mineral-based oil? 15W30 is suggested on the engine bay...

Basically when I searched I found most people said that if you ask what oil, you'll get a whole heap of different responses. Apart from brand, what weight oil is the best etc?

When flushing the engine out (which I want to do, god knows when it was last done.... lookin a bit dark at the moment) should I use that nulon engine flush?

Should I buy some cheaper oil to "flush " through the system first, and then put the good stuff in?

Just i've got that ticking sound (which I've been told is something different by everyone... one says exhaust valves, one said it sounds like valve tappets, sticking lifters, I wish I knew what it was myself) and I think something either gunked up or needs adjusting or isn't getting enough lubrication, I have no idea.

Don't worry about the tranny. it's fine for now. just got it serviced and that will have to do until I swap the manual in.

now I've just gotta find someone with a jack, since I've only got that small piddly jack that came with the car. Laughing

The fun begins....

Oh yeah, also-

What tools will I need just for a basic service?

and since its a 1G-GTE and i've never even enquired about servicing on one of these before, i was wondering if there was anything else i need to check / do / fix / replace.

What else should I keep an eye out for?

I would like to do this myself, not primarily to save money but just to DO IT MYSELF... but if you suggest I take it to a mechanic, please, just bloody say so. Smile

Or, if you live on the central coast and want beer and a barbeque to just TELL ME WHAT TO DO, let me know as well.

As far as timing is concerned, should I bother adjusting the timing? I run it on high octane premium all the time (BP usually, but optimax if i have to), and if i would get better performance by advancing the timing a bit, I will.

Man I need some friends who are more mechanically minded! heh

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2005 07:28]

Send a private message to this user    
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Z418 is the ryco brand filter which is the most common one I think
Id get the timing checked out , me gets the belt squeelign as well when the car is cold dunno why ?????
Oil is up to you
Spark plugs get the platinum ones or the iridium ones worst case just pull one out write the number down and go to Toyota and ask for them
See if the spark leads are good if not replace them too
Change the engine coolant and thermostat if u can ( use Toyota red coolant—Toyota sell them ) thermostat is the same for the twin cam corolla 1988 model but use the rubber gasket that’s u already have if its in good condition cause it fits better
I though the engine bay said 10w-30 for the oil and yeah Toyota sell the same oil as well (I will be trying that oil soon)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check EVERYTHING possible Smile

Make sure all your belts are correctly tight, fluid levels are good, bleed brakes, check pads, tyres. Tyre pressures. flush oil and coolant, replace.

Loads more stuff you can do Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 13:01

I searched, and for the oil filter I found that I needed "Z418"... any particular brand that can be recommended?

You have the Ryco part number there. An actual Toyota one or an ACDelco one like I have would be better made, but more expensive.

What Spark plugs should I purchase? When I searched for this too, I found that gold28 mentioned BCPR6EP-11 & BCPR6ES-11

I have Denso K20PRU11's, although the NGK ones will be fine too. Ideally, they should be gapped down to 0.8mm.

What's the easiest way to tighted up the belts if they need it? My power steering squeals like all buggery when i reach full lock, and sometimes it squeals when i move it when the car's still cold Confused

To tighten the belt loosen off the bolt which locks it to the bracket, and knock it along. You might have some success spraying a little bit of belt-grip on it.

Should I just get a new air filter, or should I buy a pod (i dont really care for bling factor, but i'll get it if theyre not difficult to fit... i do want to run it down a bit behind my front bar to get some colder air)

Don't buy a pod unless you're going to go to the trouble of enclosing it and running some cold air to it. If you really want those extra couple of killowatts, grab yourself a K&N drop-in replacement, or you should be able to find something from one of the Japanese brands like A'PEXi.

We talked about oils before in the soarer thread I think it was, but which one was the most recommended? Should I go with an older mineral-based oil? 15W30 is suggested on the engine bay...

Go with what you're comfortable and works for you. My mates engine bay had a sticker that recommended 10w30 and that's what the manual said. The Castrol website recommends Magnatec for the 7MGTE, and I'd assume the 1G would be the same. Personally, I use Mobil 1 5w50 and see no reason to change. Nark has been using this also successfully for ages. Magnatec is a semi-synthetic, and Mobil 1 is obviously full synthetic.

When flushing the engine out (which I want to do, god knows when it was last done.... lookin a bit dark at the moment) should I use that nulon engine flush?

Should I buy some cheaper oil to "flush " through the system first, and then put the good stuff in?

Could always try the Nulon stuff, I couldn't be bothered trying to flush it with cheap oil though, sounds expensive too.

and since its a 1G-GTE and i've never even enquired about servicing on one of these before, i was wondering if there was anything else i need to check / do / fix / replace.

You'll need maybe an oil filter remover. A 19mm (think it's 19mm) socket for sump plug and probably a new sump plug washer. You'll obviously need a pan to catch oil, preferrably with a spout on it. A funnel can make it easy to pour the oil into the engine. A rag or two is useful. You'll need a spark plug socket, preferably with the rubber insert.
As for things to check, how many km's has it done? Just check for leaks and stuff as well, and check your brake pads, fluid levels etc.

As far as timing is concerned, should I bother adjusting the timing? I run it on high octane premium all the time (BP usually, but optimax if i have to), and if i would get better performance by advancing the timing a bit, I will.

You probably won't find much of an improvement, but there is no harm in running a few extra degrees of base timing on the factory ECU at around factory boost pressures.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh yeah, forgot to mention, but brakes are fine. pads were changed, discs machined (although they still squeal like bitches on very light braking.... i should see them again about that)

Tyre pressures are fine, but I need new tyres.

But I think I need the car running 100% more than I need new tyres, which are just on the wear lines now
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 15:23

Don't buy a pod unless you're going to go to the trouble of enclosing it and running some cold air to it. If you really want those extra couple of killowatts, grab yourself a K&N drop-in replacement, or you should be able to find something from one of the Japanese brands like A'PEXi.

It's not imperative, no. The stock airbox does appear to be extremely restrictive however (hole for letting in air is smaller than my fist)

justcallmefrank wrote

Could always try the Nulon stuff, I couldn't be bothered trying to flush it with cheap oil though, sounds expensive too.

I will try the nulon stuff. Sounds like a better alternative to flushing with cheap oil, and does sound cheaper. Plus I've read good things about it from other people on this forum.

[/quote]

justcallmefrank wrote

You'll need maybe an oil filter remover. A 19mm (think it's 19mm) socket for sump plug and probably a new sump plug washer. You'll obviously need a pan to catch oil, preferrably with a spout on it. A funnel can make it easy to pour the oil into the engine. A rag or two is useful. You'll need a spark plug socket, preferably with the rubber insert.

Washers and things like that, I will be able to pick up from repco, right? are they a universal sort of washer, ie for toyota engines?

justcallmefrank wrote

As for things to check, how many km's has it done? Just check for leaks and stuff as well, and check your brake pads, fluid levels etc.

Car has 181,000km on it. Brakes are fine as far as I know, fluid levels are right on the mark for the brakes.

Power steering fluid is right perfect too, but should I drain that and put new fluid in?

Cheers for all the info. Who ever said the internet wasn't good for something? Smile

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN THAT’S LIKE 100,000 MORE THAN MY CAR

Anyways look into the power steering fluid and see if its red or black , black being its all buggered most of te time , be careful replacing it as I did it with dex 3 and the steering is more tighter than before , maybe I should have used type 4 fluid , I also modified the power steering cooler and put a bigger one in , maybe that’s why the steering is tighter and squealing
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the powersteering hoses too, make sure everything is nice and tight - not leaking!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 16:12

DAMN THAT’S LIKE 100,000 MORE THAN MY CAR

Or in other words, you mean to say mine hasn't been wound back? Wink

Will do with the power steering lines. I'll follow them and check for any leaks. The fluid in it is still quite a bright pinkish reddish colour if i recall correctly... not dark at all.

It is on the high mark.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally i wouldnt use anything but the Toyota genuine filter

Denso Plugs in platinum are PQ20R

I can send you Toyota filter $15.00
PQ20R plugs $12.00 each.

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be worth waiting to get the filter and plugs off you, to save money from the shops? I have no idea how much they would cost from a shop.

Also, I kinda wanted to do it this weekend.

I really want to do it myself, but the ticking coming from the motor (as described above) is worrying me.

Plus I think i have an exhaust manifold leak, when the car is cold and I rev it i can hear a slight rattle.
Goes away when warm.

Also, when I stop and open my door, i can smell exhaust fumes.

I shouldn't be able to smell exhaust fumes from the drivers seat and beside the door, should I? Rolling Eyes

The car might have more bells and whistles than a church belltower full of umpires, but I just dont bloody know what to do. Sad

Even if I service it myself, I'm just going to have to take it to a mechanic anyway...

Anyone live nearby that could spare five minutes of their time to just LOOK and LISTEN to the car to give me advice on what I should do?

I wouldn't expect anyone to do anything to the car, but yeah...
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo,

How often are you planning on changing your oil? I do mine every 5000kms, 1JZ in a JZZ30 Soarer.

The guys on Planet Soarer did http://www.planetsoarer.com did a test of different oil filters and found Sweet FA difference in filtration up to about 5000 Km. After that the Toyota one shone through as the best, working well up to 10000km old. This was on a 1JZ (or 1UZ, can't remember), but the principles for your engine are the same.

For me, I just buy the cheap one and change it (and oil) more frequently. As for the oil, for a twin cam turbo, I'd say something fully synthetic in the correct weight range.

Anyway, have fun servicing your car yourself. You'll have enjoy it and learn something about your doing it. Smile

Fingers
5TYL5H
Regular

January 2005
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K&N do both a the oil and air filter for a 1G, I can get the part numbers if you want them.

as for plugs if you thinking to go the iridums (spelling) over the lazer platinum dont. iridums cost more and last and preform the same (or so a NGK rep told me)
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Thu, 19 May 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5TYL5H wrote on Thu, 19 May 2005 23:50

K&N do both a the oil and air filter for a 1G, I can get the part numbers if you want them.

as for plugs if you thinking to go the iridums (spelling) over the lazer platinum dont. iridums cost more and last and preform the same (or so a NGK rep told me)

that would be great, thanks.

fingers;

I will be changing the oil every 5000km.

the service has been postponed until NEXT weekend, as i'll probably be going to drag combat on sunday instead of servicing my car (bad james, bad!)

I wanna see 1JZ-747 run!!!! Very Happy

plus a mate's running his R31 sillhouette down the strip....

216rwkw, (i think that was before he last got it tuned) should be interesting to watch! Smile

plus, the mate with the skyline does all the work on his own car, is going to give me tips and pointers and help me out as we do it.... going to be SUCH a help as far as fixing it all up goes. Smile

But the most important thing is... he has tools. Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:37]

5TYL5H
Regular

January 2005
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Sun, 22 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the air filter is a K&N E-2605-1
oil filter is a K&N HP-1002

and the plugs are NGK BCPR6EP-N-8

hope this helps
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Wed, 25 May 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
getting stuff together for this saturday...

suggestions for fuel filter?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Wed, 25 May 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine was pulled out and taken to a auto store and matched up with a local manufacturer cant remember what one , do the same if ur doing it urself the filter is between the boot well and rear bumper (somewhere around there--- not too good if we get rear ended I suppose) under the car
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Wed, 25 May 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool.

Now i just need to know how much oil will fill up the motor to an optimal level...

Or should I just check the dipstick, heheh
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Wed, 25 May 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah be carefull of that ,, very carefull , I ended up filling it 3 times the amount , it looked like a bushfire had started in the boot lollllllll, all happened because the dip stick has a very small rubber level indicator on it which I thought was wrong and looked too small to me , so I filled it up with about 2 bottles of oil , lolllllllll u don’t want to go there mate

Be carefull , it usually takes about the whole of the 5 litre bottle of oil
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Service time. 1G-GTE in GZ20. No more screwing around! Quick Quiz time :) Sat, 28 May 2005 05:44 Go to previous message
done!

takes the 5L bottle of oil, and then a little bit.

Car is purring a lot smoother now... drives smoother.. just feels smoother... if that was possible! heh

still missing a bit... you can hear it on idle and on moderate revving... havent noticed it when driving along though my mate said that my spark plug leads look a bit rat shit... plus he got a whopper of a shock from them as well...

also suggests I buy a new dizzy cap and rotor too...

shame the K&N air filter was $135, otherwise I would've put a new one of those on there too...

he said it sounds like its knocking a little bit... only a little bit... but not to worry about it at this stage

wants me to put a T3/T4 on there to replace those CT12's... but that will all be after the manual conversion.

I'm thinking since the cost of a decent cleanable air filter is so high, i'm just going to get an adapter plate, and run a K&N or splitfire pod filter... run down behind the front bar, and conceal it, try to make it look as stock as possible... ahh who knows.

in summary though

***car runs much better
***feels a little more powerful... probably because it WAS around 7,000km overdue for a service...
***i can continue saving for manual conversion stuff now Laughing
***even though he owns a 13 second R31 GTS he had nothing but compliments about how my car drives (hehehehe)

soarer powah! Cool

Cheers for everyone's advice. It's good to know there's a community out there full of people willing to offer their advice and help.

Cheers.
James

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2005 05:52]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Garrett T28 Turbo ?
Next Topic:AE92 n AE101 4AGZE; how do you tell apart?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 05:04:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070550441741943 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.