Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4ag Vs 2tg info?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RollaLevin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
4ag Vs 2tg info? Mon, 25 November 2002 17:25 Go to next message
Hello all, I'm unsure how to proceed with a 2tg project car. Several people in the know have told me that the 2tg is too old, difficult to source parts for, and that a 4ag would be the better option.

Everyone automatically defaults to the 4ag for a small toyota is the 2t really that bad? I'd like to go with the old-school engine but I'm also realistic, how expensive is it to build a 160-70hp 2tg?? the 4ag is so much more popular and I feel I may regret choosing a 2tg as a starting point.

The project is a 2-door 3a-u ae70. And I don't care if it's got carbs or efi - I just want big revs and power.

Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Mon, 25 November 2002 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally the easier option would be the 4AG.

you already have the 3a in there, remove, and insert 4AG. nothing else required.

with a 2TG you have to meddle with engine mounts ect - keep it simple dude.

the 2TG is getting a little long in the tooth, but, nonetheless still a very good engine.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Tue, 26 November 2002 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't believe Rod hasn't found this thread yet! Laughing
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Tue, 26 November 2002 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay. wearing my "rod hat"

2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG 2TG

enough said Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Tue, 26 November 2002 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it even be legal to chuck a 2T-G into that car when the motor is older than the original? or am i a poor misguided fool?

personally i would 4ag, can use all the facotry mounts easily, motor is newer (and cheaper to rebuild)... but i still love the old 8 valve racer!!!
poida
Regular

July 2002
Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Wed, 27 November 2002 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Says Rex (moron poida left himself logged in):

If you're looking for Revs and Power, id be looking at the 4AG. also because the car already has an XA-X series engine it should be very straight forward swap.

IMHO the 4AG is a better engine, and if your looking for about 160-170 horsies the 2T-G will take plenty of 'building' whereas the 20v 4A-GE, with a pair of carbs (simple, cheap) and extractors will make the power with no hastle, be reliable and give you more than enough revs to keep a grin on your face. while being a physically smaller/lighter package
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4ag Vs 2tg info? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:39 Go to previous message
Ok I found it.. Laughing (Well Max sent me the link anyway ! Rolling Eyes )

Ok given your car is an AE70 then your stuck with alot of limitations in regards to ADR's and emmisions laws. You may not actually be allowed to fit a 2TG due to the emissions results and age of the engine. You could probably manage a 2TGEU ?

But anyway.... Its kinda besides the point.

Your car is a bolt in option for a 4AGE you would be mad to go back to a 2TG given that they are fairly comparable engines. (And I'm not having that debate again if we can help it !)

You have also stated that you want a revy engine and around 160HP (I assume you mean at the flywheel). Getting that from either engine is very possible.

The 4AGE's main restriction is the factory ECU but ditch that in favour of a good Aftermarket one (Some engineering issues need to be looked at) and then you should be easily able to acheive that on a 4AGE with some cams and head work alone.

Basically when deciding between the 4A and the 2T the bolt in factor is a major advantage for the 4A. They are also lighter and newer with a better head design. Don't get me wrong I still personally prefer a 2TG but not for your application ! (and if you decide you really wanna upset people think 3SGE...mmmmmmmmm )

And lastly just cause i have it and its been a while since its been posted anywhere here is a link to a Microsoft Excel sheet I started (still not finished and I getta get the 4AGZE figures off Jonny again !) These figues are as per TOYOTA literature only and are for STOCK FACTORY engines.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Technical%20Info/En gine%20Comparison%20Chart1.xls

Enjoy,

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2002 01:42]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:extractors
Next Topic:HELP single turbo 1g-gte owners!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Oct 7 13:40:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048618316650391 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.