Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » some more hints please?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PayneyCelica18rg
Regular

November 2002

some more hints please? Tue, 26 November 2002 00:20 Go to next message
Alright, i am still in the planning/budgeting Razz phase of my pending 18rg to 1g-gte conversion for my ra23 liftback, (and well, maybe even a bit bigger thaqn the 2l Evil or Very Mad would be nice). Something i came accross, would i be better when i have the 2l (or maybe 2.5l) to go ford 9 inch LSD with disc brakes rear, or Hilux LSD with drum (or can you get disc rear on this as well (would that be better Rolling Eyes )). Now as a toyota driving Evil or Very Mad Holden Evil or Very Mad fan, the idea of a falcon LSD is a bit embarrassing Embarassed , but untill the other day, the ford 9" lsd was the best i knew of. also if i build and fit a pretty drop tank for the ra23, like all the torana freaks do (everyone in townsville has a torana) should i just fit a fuel pump in it like efi cars have, or still use a surge tank?
Any info would be appreciated, since leaving townsville for gold coast, I have lost all my contacts, so you guys are it... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
thanks Heaps
Justin
  Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon13.gif  Re: some more hints please? Tue, 26 November 2002 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm a Ford 9" diff would IMHO be overkill for a strong diff!! Even though you may be putting in a 2L turbo mill with heaps more mid-range torque than what the 18rg, it still would not need a came out with, it is still no brute of a V8 that produces dickloads of torque. Go with something smaller, way smaller! Also you mentioned about the rear brakes disks Vs drums, its more of a cosmetic thing in a sense that your front brakes are what do the majority of the work, and certainly I personally would not put in a Ford 9" just for the sake of having rear disks!

Juz my two pieces of copper!
Adrian!

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2002 01:44]

juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon10.gif  Re: some more hints please? Tue, 26 November 2002 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a for diff will weigh a tone, go with the HILUX conversion.
JUZZO
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: some more hints please? Tue, 26 November 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you're planning to squeeze 600+ hp out of that 1G (and I'd like to see that), a 9" rear end is massive overkill. These things weigh heaps, and it's all unsprung weight which is BAD for handling. They also have greater rotating mass and transmission losses, which will hurt your car's straight-line performance. I agree with the Hilux suggestion, it's plenty strong and much lighter than a 9". Even lighter is an F series rear end from a Crown or Corona MkII, and F series diff hold up fine in a 7M-GTE MA61 so it should hangle a 1G no worries at all.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: some more hints please? Tue, 26 November 2002 07:48 Go to previous message
Who was doing the disk conversion on a hilux diff? Hows it going?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ram Pod for Ae92
Next Topic:Convert The POS: 2t-g into KE rolla conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Oct 6 17:29:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005220890045166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.