Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze pulley boost??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 00:49 Go to next message
Hey guys

Ok i have changed my pulley to a 164mm and it seems to be runnin only 10psi .. now i believe it should be runnin 12psi of boost.. i am runing the stock cooler still so it cant be that.. what i'm thinkin is its the ABV.. i have tried to bypass it but it doesnt seem to work.. i have caped the solenoid off and ran the ABV vaccum straight to the inlet.. is this correct??

Cheers
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure about your mods, but I'd be testing your boost at night, in colder temperatures especially if you are running the std cooler ontop of the cams.
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea i was running it at night. I might try and remove the abv alltogether

Cheers
Sicsx
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be a bit suspicious after a pulley change and only getting 10PSI. That's not much gain for the work. How long did it take you to change the pulley?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak what you need to realise is just because you have a pulley that is spose to do 12psi, doesnt mean it's going to go whamo straight out to 12psi, you will find you will reach higher boost the faster the actual speed of the car is...
i have proved this on mine and a friends ze..
i had the 160mm crank pulley, which is spose to do 10psi, i only ever saw 10psi when i was driving over 180km/h...
my mate has a nevo, which is spose to do 14psi, he was only getting 10-12psi..
he was only taking it to about 100kp/h, when he picked up more speed say 140kp/h, he was starting to get higher boost till at even faster speeds got 14psi..

also clean out your intercooler with some general purpose thinners, they get a build up of oil residue after a period of time...
i actually picked up 1psi after cleaning mine out...

it sounds like you've correctly done the ABV mod..

i removed my ABV, and also removed the s/c crankcase ventilation set-up on top of the s/c, it has been documented in a couple sites that you can lose boost through it... i just used used rubber hose and connected the metal tee peice at the front of the s/c to the one at the rear of it... i WILL NOT damage your s/c...
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thank you very much for that.. ok so i thought i done it right.. yea i found last night at bout 160 k's it was just gettin 11psi.. then sort of bleeding back to 10.. so i may have to check the blet and the piping.. i'm gettin the pipe to the intake redone 2nite.. so i hope that helps..

Cheers
Chris
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could the increased psi at higher speeds have to do with more air going through the intercooler, decreasing temps even more?

cos shouldn't the engine be spinning at the same speed nor matter what speed your doing ie. 4th gear at 5000 revs should spin charger at same speed as 5000 revs in 5th gear
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the abv mod hadn't been done, it wouldn't read over 8psi anyway would it???
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good question .. but i believe before i done the mod it was still at 10psi anyway.. so thats why i was wondering if i done it correctly..

Cheers
Sicsx
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well thats why I asked. Cos I fitted a boost gauge a few weeks ago and haven't done the abv mod, and the car was boosting to 10psi. And on the weekend i did the crank pulley conversion (175mm), and its boosting to 13psi now.
I can't see why the previous Jap owner would have done the mod as everything was standard, so it makes no sense!!!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak
Ribbo,
yeah it makes sense that the rpm of the s/c in any gear was the same, well mine was (he he), at any gear it would do about the same boost at the same rpm... but it would not reach maximum boost until i was actually driving at a lot faster speed...

LadySX,
some ze's have been know to boost more than the standard 8psi with or without the ABV mod being done...
what size was the crank pulley you pulled off? did you measure it? as mine was a oversize one when i got it from japan...
they do like to try everything over there, so it might of already had a bigger one on it?...
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool.. yea my engine was only boostin to 8psi before i done the pulley.. then it boosted to 10psi.. i was expecting more thats why i done the abv.. some people are lucky then if they get the motor and its already boostin to 10psi. I'm still waiting on my intercooler pipe to be redone.. that might give me a little more..

Cheers
Sicsx
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Tue, 26 November 2002 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wondering why your car makes more boost the faster you go?
Well, I was thinking, whats the one thing that increases with speed? AIR FLOW! Think about it, no matter how sucky your intercooler location is, you go faster, all that nasty hot air killing your intake temperatures, gets fanned by the air your pushing against.
This in turn would decrease your intake temperatures, raising the amount of air particles per square centimeter. Your supercharger is still spinning the same amount whatever speed you do, but if you increase the amount of air particles it is compressing, you will automatically increase your boost.

Correct?
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprocket thats pretty much what I said above Smile
its the only thing that would make sense
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, sorry Rolling Eyes
Definately the only thing that makes sense.
It'd be pretty funny when you were thinking of selling your car, and in order to 'proove' that it got up to 12psi boost you had to do over 140km/hr! Laughing

That should encourage people to front mount a good intercooler! Much cheaper than a speeding fine. I heard you automatically loose your licence if you're caught doing over 145km/hr.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2002 02:02]

sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea this makes sense but mine doesnt get to 12psi.. even at 160.. hopefully with this intercooler fixed it will.

Cheers
Sicsx
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must just have a weird ass car then, lol, cos mine boosts to 10psi in first!!! And gets to about 13psi in third, doing about 100km/h and my intercooler is top mounted.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2002 03:15]

sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn.. thats pretty good..!! yea i get 9psi in 1st.. and 10psi in 3rd.. i'm hoping i get more!! I'd be happy with that setup!!

Cheers
Sicsx
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok people.. is there any other way i can totally get rid of that abv.. i'm sure its still loosin boost somewhere.. any idea's??

Cheers
Sicsx
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak easy.....

1. remove the vacum line from the ABV. cap the tee peice you had running to it.
2. remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the ABV to the throttle body.
3. using long nose pliers, hold open the hose clamp holding the ABV to the outlet pipe from the s/c, and pull it off.
4. make a aluminium plate that will bolt in place of the ABV on the hole left in the throttle body.(you will need shorter bolts).
5. cap the pipe out of the s/c. (i used a small PVC cap, pushed into the rubber hose, and clamped it).
6. all done.

i guess you have already checked all the hose clamps on the intercooler pipes to the inlet manifold?
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Wed, 27 November 2002 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks.. now this will not affect when the s/c clutch works will it??

Also could i put an aftermarket BOV.. so it vents hot air in its place?? Or will i be having the same problem(loosin boost)??

Cheers
Sicsx
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Thu, 28 November 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak no, it will not affect how the s/c clutch works, it is controlled by the computer....
the only real reason the ABV is there is to bypass excess boost. at idle the clutch is off, it will only engage when you floor it.....

NO. you cannot use a BOV on a ze.. the s/c is on the vacum side of the throttle body..
sicsx
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 4agze pulley boost?? Thu, 28 November 2002 22:20 Go to previous message
Ahh yes.. i have just realised cheers.. the s/c needs to be before the throttle body for the BOV to work.. of course!!

Cheers
Sicsx
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:replacing a clutch
Next Topic:.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 8 23:23:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065979957580566 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.