Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
suprajz
Newcomer

November 2002
icon5.gif  MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 09:42 Go to next message
Does anyone know of a relatively easy conversion from 4 stud to 5 stud wheel pattern?? I don't want to spend massive dollars getting custom hubs made up. Any help ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out ed_ma61 site, pretty sure he has the conversion on there i think.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fronts - MS65 hubs but you'll have to be ingenious with the brakes.
Rears - MS123 hubs.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the front you can also use MX73 struts with MX83 hubs. Apparently. I hope so cos that's what I'm doing! Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A quick question, what is gained by going to 5 stud form 4? Cheaper / More easily available wheels (with correct offset, is finding the right offset a problem in 4 stud?) or does it make it easier for a brake upgrade?

Cheers
Wilbo
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all of the above
plus its stronger for engine upgrades
the engineer will see 5stud and not 4 and be happy

Peewee
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Tue, 26 November 2002 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I'm mostly doing it for strength since I'll be tripling the power output of my car. A nice bonus is the fact that I'll have the same stud pattern as all pre-AU Fords, so getting wheels will be heaps easier. It's pretty much impossible to get off-the-shelf wheels in the correct PCD and offset for a Mk2 Supra which means you have to fork out for custom Simmons or something equally expensive.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also go to the Mk2 mailing list, where we made fun of Americans. Not that that's hard. In the end we suggested that they go to one giant lug for weight savings, or just blutac their wheels to the hub.
I think the wheels are EL (?) model Fairlanes - correct offset and PCD. Ed knows - he did the hard yards here. Of corse, it depends a little on what sort of stoppers you want to put in under the wheels.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen an engineer yet knock back an engine upgrade for only have 4 stud wheels instead of 5.

I love the look of the factory rims(must be highly polished) with 265 rubber on them. They fill the guards out completely while alot(not all) of the newer wheels when fitted to the MK2 make it look like someone has cut it's balls off cause they don't suit the era or fill the guards.

Just my 2c, or 3.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
site isnt working again since the upgrade Sad but the hub stuff will be there soon.

norbie, as far as i know, the mx73 runs the EXACT same front bearings as the supra, so swapping the mx83 hubs onto the mx73 struts is going to have the exact same problems as runing the mx83 hubs on the supra struts: ie it doesnt work

the following cars are the ones that use the same bearings as the supra:

celica ra40, ra60, sa63, ra65
cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73
crown ms65
corona rt81, rt104, xt130, rt133, st141, rt142
avante st141, rt142
spacia yr22
lite ace km20, cm20, cm35, ym21, ym30, ym35
supra ma61
tarago yr20, yr21, yr22 2wd, cr21

the ONLY one in there thats 5 stud is the ms65. as far as i know, i couldnt find any compatible stut and hub swappo that would work.

and richard...check your email!

cheers
ed

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In a word: bugger. Sad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and as far as strength goes, no the 5 stud isnt requisite for engineering, but as far as logical design and force distribution goes, 5 stud is the more sensible option. esp if the reason youre going to the 5 stud is for a big brake upgrade... the rotor mounting will be more reliable with the 5 stud retainer.

different wheels are just a bonus, and dont forget there are some of use who's main concern isnt keeping the orginal factory look Smile

cheers
ed
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe i'm getting old Crying or Very Sad

"Those young bloody wiper snipers!!!!!What happened to those good old MK2 Supra's???? Back in my day........ "hehehehe
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sites up now ::

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /fronthub.html

cheers
ed
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Wed, 27 November 2002 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just want to say to Ed that I can't wait till you get the rest of the site up!! I was very impressed with the information available! A great site keep, up the good work. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Thu, 28 November 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been interetsed doing this on my mk2 supra.

if you don't mind me adding a relevent questiont to this topic?

What if you bought a 1/2 cut and did the engine conversion, use the strut arms and suspension off that. wouldn't that work.

also, what if you got a later model supra and took the diff outa that and put that into the supra.... surely these 2 options would work?

might cost a bit more, but you also get added benefit
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Thu, 28 November 2002 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a chance, a Mk2 Supra has MacPherson struts in the front while JZA70's have double wishbones and later model stuff like my Aristo front cut have some bizarre arrangement which looks completely different again. Swapping the front suspension over would pretty much involve re-engineering the entire chassis, which isn't something I'd like to attempt!

Similar story with the rear end too; Mk2's have trailing-arm IRS which was ditched in favour of double wishbones when the Mk3 was released. Completely different setup so it would be a huge job to swap it all over.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Thu, 28 November 2002 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mk4 diff could fit, but would require significant amounts of work and expense. You would have to modify the diff cradle, half shafts and tailshaft. Big job.
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Thu, 28 November 2002 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geeze GT, you are never going to let me ignore my worries for the time being without being reminded of it every day do ya? Razz

By the way, it takes more time to get shit from NZ than from the US! So yeah, word of caution. I should have just hired a dodgy yacht and sailed to NZ, would have the bloody thing sooner!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Thu, 28 November 2002 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can just imagine it - "Hallo sailor boy, lup you long time. You want cheap TRD diff? Only pipty dollar! I have sheep too, verly chip!"

So you still don't have the diff?

EDIT: I apologise to my Vietnamese friends, or anyone who takes offence to this ridiculously poor 'Vietlish' rendition. No offence intended.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 November 2002 01:20]

humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud Fri, 29 November 2002 00:55 Go to previous message
Hahahahaha, I am going to put the TRD diff in a skate board just to prove you wrong bud Razz

Hehe, no, the latest ETA seems to be next Tuesday...

Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 Twin Cam Fuel Light
Next Topic:replacing a clutch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 9 03:24:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080080032348633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.