Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barbel
Regular

May 2002
bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Tue, 26 November 2002 21:41 Go to next message
ok,

i have a import 100kw motor which i scored for free, have the head off and all looks ok on the bottom end. i jhave a spare bigport head also, which will need a reco, but shouldnt be too much. should i slap it together and put it in my sprinter as i am using a standard bigport.

is it worht the hassle, would i notice any performance gains.
also what ecu's do people use when they have done this?
not really a problem as i have EMS running it anyway, but just curious if i should get it tuned again...

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Tue, 26 November 2002 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a read of this

http://www.toysport.com/Techinfo.htm
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Tue, 26 November 2002 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

have read that before, and i coulndt be bothere cutting and welding a 100kw inlet manifold. i know the 100kw head is better, but thats not what im asking.

will it be better to have the higher comp bottom end?

i remember hearing toby did this...
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Tue, 26 November 2002 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would imagine so... as long as piston clearance etc etc are ok, i cant imagine there being anything wrong with this setup. Of course the 100kW head and intake are better, but like u said need to be reversed.

Myabe it might be worth reading thru someof the stuff written on the club 4ag website.... they are king for sprinters and 4ag's
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it comes down to $$$ surely it would be cheaper to use the good 100kw with the reversed TB than reco the big port head!?!?!?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, i dont have the inlet manifold for it... or the throttle body etc,

if it comes to it i can take my existing head of and use that, i know thats ok...
maybe it's not worth the hassle eh,
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we did this conversion on an aw11 - it's certainly worthwhile!!

T
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so thats what ive been wanting to hear...

personally i like the peakier feel of bigports, and i thought the bump in compression would be good.

any other suggestion with this toby or just do a straight swap with it,

cheers
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure the compression on the 100kW motor is 10.3 and on the 86kW motors it's 9.4, but what's to say that the compression isn't increased because of the design of the 100kW head ie less cc's.
At most, I reckon your compression would be closer to 10.0:1 after the swap (If your pistons/bores aint rooted)and if the compression height on the 100kW pistons are higher than the 86kW.

For one thing, the bottom end swap is good for the oil squirters (piston coolers), and depending on if you had a blue top big port motor, you could be upgrading size of cranks and rods too for good measure.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the 100kw pistons have a raised area in the midlle of the piston, thats where i believe thay got the xtra compression from, so i heard. and yes it would be a tougher bottom end, and it would be a better base if i was to put some boost through, with some GZE pistons or forgies of course... but thats another story down the road Very Happy
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still don't think you'll get up to 10.3:1 though.
But I think it's definately worth it, especially if your old motor has died and your in the process of building a cheapy up to get you running.
Plus this also alows you to look into putting the small port head on in the future....for an extra power increase! (or a good base for forced induction in the future)
With just the big port head, you'll feel an increase in power, but not huge gains (otherwise everyone would have done it by now) Plus, with the added compression, you can put a wilder cam in with less hassles, especially running EMS.

P.S. GZE pistons are forged and ceramic coated.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2002 03:37]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok having just recently rebuilt my 100KW bottom end and 86KW head
just do it Smile

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/fdc6ad13/bc/My+Photos/allpistons.jpg?BCq7E59ARdIpm4o4

ACL 86KW pistons on left, ACl 100KW pistons in middle, toyota 100KW on right

Cheers

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

so u just did this combo??
and approve... thats 2 yes reply's

what did u do to the head? anything special?
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My head had been heavily ported, just to help flow and remove burrs and stuff, and then rebuilt. When i bought the car it came in this configuration. So why change a good thing??
It will be getting a tune and going on the dyno hopefully on friday, so ill let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers
Ben.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, excellent...

i did my current motor in my sprinter at home, including backyard porting. it seems ok. seems to scream up top a bit more than other standard 4age's that i have driven, but that could be tune or anything.

does anyone have any recommendations of where to take the head in sydney??

cheers
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cleaned up the ports on the 86kw head, otherwise motor was stock. we fabed up a set of extractors from a blacktop 20v to suit the mr2, and a truck muffler with a high-flow cat. car also got a blacktop 20v 6 speed at the same time (bit of work to fix up the gear linkages) - it ran better than it should have - motor was very good - it just ran out of puff around 6.5-7k rpm - a bigger set of cams would have helped here (262/276) with adjustable cam gears.

it's a cheap performance upgrade.

also - the toyota c/r are overly optimistic - 100kw is not 10.3, supposedly closer to 9.9:1. you can shave 20 to 60thou off the head though which will help fix this...

T
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just quoting the compression figures for Phil Bradshaw's page.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/4AGE% 20into%20RWD.htm

I heard if you shave the head, you have to change the timing of the cams, because they will retart the closer they get to the block. But 20thou shouldn't make that much difference....then again, some people are pretty picky.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ahh, i was wondering why the timing on my current motor was funny, and i had to turn the dizzy back heaps to get it up to about 10 degree... i had my head decked,

well, anyways i better get into this motor swap eh,

first stop, head work...
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you've had a unanimous agreement. Nod
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just becuase im an idiot No No No

Laughing
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adjustable cam gears will fix...

T
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Wed, 27 November 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

can you help me some of those toby? what are they worth, i know the hks ones are like 500 bux for a pair...
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bigport head on 100kw bottom end...should i do it? Thu, 28 November 2002 01:53 Go to previous message
well we've had 8 sets on order for a year now... so i'd like to say yes, but in reality i can't promise you anything...

if i had them i could tell you exactly how much they will be, but i'd suspect $250-300 ($300 if anodised with degree marks)

T
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cams
Next Topic:SA63
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Oct 8 11:44:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085690021514893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.