Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
7m metal headgasket Wed, 27 November 2002 05:31 Go to next message
is there a good (read: inexpensive)supplier of metal headgaskets for 7m-gte's that anyone has dealt with? HKS seems to be the most common but does anyone else actually make them?

alternatively how much ginning about is needed to go with a copper unit? i'd prefer not to pull the whole engine if possible

scottee
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Wed, 27 November 2002 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ridgecrest Engineering do a copper headgasket for the 7M, last time I checked it was less than $100 which is WAY cheaper than a HK$ item. I seem to have lost the URL to their web site but I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Note that you will have to pull the engine to install a metal headgasket if you want to do it right; ideally the block should be machined before installation. Some people don't bother with this step but do so at your own peril...
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Wed, 27 November 2002 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the block was almost mirror finished 5k ago when the standard gasket was replaced .. as always the bug bites and more of an upgrade is now required to go with the rest of the mods.
with a copper H/G the block needs to be o-ringed i believe? bit more effort involved than an HKS jobbie so i was going to try steer away from a copper for that reason

ta for info

scottee
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Wed, 27 November 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no need to o-ring

and despite the fact you did the block deck 5k ago, if youve well and truly blown a h/g, youll need to do it again.

ed
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Thu, 28 November 2002 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your sure no need to o'ring? dont meen to question but most sites recomend it, or is just a good sealer all that is needed?

Gaskets not blown but i'm not convinced it was torqued propperly (72lb) when they fixed it, more a precautionary measure

scottee
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Thu, 28 November 2002 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think he means o-ringing isn't mandatory with a MHG... it is a good idea though if you're going to run lots of boost. It does cost a lot more to o-ring though, mostly because you have to dismantle the entire engine for the machine work.
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Thu, 28 November 2002 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much boost are you going to run?
Be realistic.
ARP stud it and OEM gasket and if that still blows you are either doing something wrong or, do actually need a better head gasket and sealing system.
Most are either caused by mis tuning or bad maintanence.
Yes the bolt arrangement and torque spec's aren't good but but I don't see the need to fork $$$$ for something that is overkill on a over rated problem.

marty
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Thu, 28 November 2002 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Granted it is an over rated problem, but when a copper h/g is available for ~$80 odd, it is something i can fit and forget about.
plans are to run up to 20psi with an upgraded turbo, 15psi regularly. IMHO this is really the ceiling for the composite gasket even with propper precautions

scottee

ps whats with the nissan engine as a nick????? tsk tsk Very Happy
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Fri, 29 November 2002 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$80 for a copper head gasket.
Where is that from?
I'll get one and try it with no oringing and see what happens.
I've got to pull the head off anyway.

Your the first to pick up on the nissan thing.
I ran out of ideas at the time.

Marty
scottee78
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Fri, 29 November 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ridgecrest engineering (re: Norbie) are the crew .. keep us posted

(dare i say it...) i work for nissan in parts dept. so i picked up on the name straight away

scottee
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7m metal headgasket Sat, 30 November 2002 08:17 Go to previous message
thats how Scottee.
Can you do a little bit os researce for me?
Did the radiator change from 1999-prensent day for the Y61 TD42T or are they the same.
The reason I ask is I have really bad overheating problems.
I've had them since brand new.

Little bit off topic but thought I'd ask.

Will try a copper head gasket and let you know.

marty
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turbo manifolds
Next Topic:How Much
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 9 19:22:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076420307159424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.