Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » supercharging/turbocharging carb?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Neuby
Occasional Poster

November 2002
icon5.gif  supercharging/turbocharging carb? Wed, 27 November 2002 09:40 Go to next message
has anyone had any luck supercharging or turbocharging a 2L carbi engine (has anyone actaully does this to the shitty starfire 1XN out of a corona?! Razz )? what systems work best and which are most economical on fuel? i have a down draught weber and would like to continue useing that. what kind of cam timing and lift do i need? any help greatly appreciated.

regards
Neuby
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Wed, 27 November 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forced induction plus carby = absolutely shite fuel economy. The only way to make such a setup work properly is to tune it rich as buggery, especially if we're talking turbo.

Don't waste your time and money trying to make a Misfire engine fast. Even if you pour a bucketload of cash into it, the thing will still be slow.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like someone said before.... you can chrome plate a turd, but in the end its still a turd
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1X Misfire....oh the humanity!!!!
Neuby
Occasional Poster

November 2002
icon9.gif  Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well thanks for your honesty Sad . lol but i still love my 'chrome plated turd' Razz . maybe i should look at a different model corona with a 18R or 22R in it. hmmmm sounds like a plan!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or just buy a factory turbocharged engine and save yourself the heartache... they're practically giving away 1G's these days!
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a charade which has twin carbie with turbo, well.. it works, fuel economy not bad, but it's 993cc.. so, maybe different story.. Very Happy
gt20v
Regular

July 2002
Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Thu, 28 November 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you can just turbo the thing, trash it until you kill the bugger (or your wallet due to petrol cost) and then do the 1G conversion (that's if your wallet survived longer than your bugger engine Very Happy )
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Sat, 30 November 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh, the good ol' Backfire engine... No, it's not going to win you horsepower heros, but if you can do it for an all up cost of two thirds of stuff all, why not. Just for fun really! It's gonna run like crap, and not go any harder than a VN commodore anyway, but you may well learn a LOT of valuable lessons along the way. Oh, and a replacement engine shouldn't be too pricey - hang around your local boat ramp, offer to swap someone about to drop anchor.. Evil or Very Mad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supercharging/turbocharging carb? Sat, 30 November 2002 04:14 Go to previous message
if it was me - id be putting the oney into a 18rgeu - or a 1ggte conversion

a 1G in a corona of that age would make a lovely sleeper imho Smile

i guess you could also swap to the pug rotors and 4 pot hilux calipers at the same time for the go AND the whoa power Smile

personally from my own experiences - the starfire motor is a piece of crap - therews no ifs or buts - we had a corona like yours - same setup = and the motor - while good for putteriung around town - was crap ..

it lacked the smoothness of the R series motors and really REALLY needed replaceing -

Luckily for us - we foud a gullible trader that swapped us it + a wad of cash for a Mk 2 supra in mear perfect conditoin ! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Non-Toyota engine buildup - good pics
Next Topic:Tuning MX83 cressida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 9 13:18:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051651000976562 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.