Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 02:30 Go to next message
heys guys - looking for advice or examples of people here who have set up a camera in their cars to record trasck footage

this is not for my Gt4 - its for the Classic Adelaide Perana capri were building ..

it has no rollcage - stock interior , but a very lumpy V8 - so anything obsucre/good for vibration control would be advised as examples
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl and I found this neat "bracket" which we used to mount my camera onto the passenger seat of the Pimpmobile for our trips to WSID.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM375 7

The thread is the same as the hole for the tripod in most video camera's.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 02:47]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
across the head rests on a plank of wood, drill and mount it on the dash, jesse has one mounted on the rear strut brace of his t-18.
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe something like these guys use would be more effective.
http://www.onbike.tv/
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made this up which was a very simple and easy design.. Works alright..

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/7311/cameramount0rk.jpg
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great design!
agp2002
Regular

May 2005
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a manfrotto 241V and 241 with tilt head addon suction, if you want the link for it email me on "theperson_20@hotmail.com" both mounts are about $200 each and i highly recommend. Means you can have it inside and outside your car.

Iain
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F'ck... those are some nice brackets.
http://www.manfrotto.com/

I don't think I could use $200 worth of bracket though so I'll stick with my $14.95 plastic thing Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the great ideas so far guys
'i shoulda specified some points though

*Cant use passenger seat - as ill be sitting in it navigating

*cant use a bodge job ( ie wood ) as it has to be scrutinised by race officials

*cant be mounted on the dashboard

this car has to be race approved .

Any examples say on the back parchel shelf mounted stiff - or a camera that has optional ports to run a small line camera off - like a spy camera setup ?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon the only way u could really go is the parcel tray
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods - ill have to see if thats an option ..

and see what points i might be able to use to mount the thing up with

http://www.camerahacker.com/Car_Camera_Mount/

saw that idea - whichh was pretty sweet
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use the mounts that are in the back for the roof handle things?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's mine:

http://img223.echo.cx/img223/9769/interior5tg.jpg
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 31 May 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you got a pic of your cage? ill tell you exactly how to do it! ive made three for diffrent cage style for targa and god know how many for circuit cars. get a pic of you cages and ill tell you to the letter how to do it and make it safe.
mick
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Wed, 01 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is no cage in the car - its only for thoroughbred sport at this stage of the game

and the driver tellsme theres an actual plan that we have to go by from the classic organising committee ..

Crud ..
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Wed, 01 June 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 17:54

and the driver tellsme theres an actual plan that we have to go by from the classic organising committee ..

This is correct.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Wed, 01 June 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a bracket made for camera mounting it's got a sucktion cup on it and it can hold a camera up to 1.5 kg big.
I was looking at them on monday the guy said it's what they use in targa.
They are around $200 but they won't let your camera get shaken to pieces.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Thu, 02 June 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stu,

We ran a camera in the last few rallies...the mount I can't really help you with if you don't have a cage, but I can talk about how it's all set up.

We use a Sony cam that has an RCA input...then used a few different cameras. We had a CCTV camera mounted to the cage...had the best resolution (like 500lines or something) and was hard mounted facing forward. Also had another little spy camera that was mounted to the back number plate pointing backwards.

Then had a mate make up a pretty splinky box (had the sik blue LEDs so it must have been good Wink) which did a few different things in one. It could take 2 RCA in feeds and then send the camera one feed at a time (this let us switch between views via a toggle on the box) but it also had a timer so that it could switch between cameras every 60 seconds during a stage. It also had a few power source's built in and it took a 13v feed straight off the battery. The video camera was then mounted in a bag in the boot.

Apparently a LANC type remote is useful because it gives you a corded remote meaning you can start and stop the camera whilst strapped in the front rather than getting out every time.

M
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Thu, 02 June 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need to see inside the car to tell you even if it dosnt have a cage stu!
mick
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Fri, 03 June 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no point just yet mick - ill have to see what the classic adel people say re their mounting specs dude - though i do appreciate all the ideas given in this thread - i can use some of them on the Gt4 for fun days
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Fri, 03 June 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've got a few weatherproof camera's at work that you could wire into the front bar or similar... means you have to have access to a video camera with a video input, however, most newer digital video cams have this.

Send me a PM if you're interested.
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Sat, 04 June 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the best way to do it is as dynomatt suggested, using remote cameras and the composite input on you video camera (most new sony's do it). That is when the camera is in VTR mode any input on the RCA plugs (that you normally plug into your TV to play a tape) will be automatically be detected as input and the camera will display it. You can then just use the VTR record to record it. I have even used my camera to play the playstation!! Laughing

Using remote CCD cameras or the cheaper less quality CMOS cameras is great as they can handel the vibrations much better. The camera can then be put in a block of foam and put in the glove box or something, otherwise the vibration will kill it very quickly. The cameras are small and you can put them almost anywhere, I have even had them under the car and in the wheel arch (suspension is really cool when going over rough ground)

Here is my B/W version VERY sturdy, has been in fire situations, under cars, under water and more...

http://web.aanet.com.au/dale/camera1.jpg

http://web.aanet.com.au/dale/camera2.jpg

Runs off 12V and even has audio (but it is low as the mic in inside the case!)
You get very still pictures, and depending on the quality of the camera they can be quite good.

Any other questions just ask, happy to help.

Cheers
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Sat, 04 June 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the wake field drift day we used a the head rest style one but rahter than removing it completely the head rest was still in place with a bar going underneath with holes drilled out for the head rest, so the camera sat in between both seats and could be pointed forward or backwards. ours needs a some finshing touches to stop it moving up and down. rubber gromits are the next step.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Sat, 04 June 2005 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i 3rd'ed the CMOS camera style mounting

Ive got an old colour Cmos with built in mic, but i want something with a higher resolution to suit the fancy MiniDV w/ RCA in i have now.. any suggestions? I want one with nice case prolly bullet type. that i can mount outside car, inside car, on my motorbike helmet etc...
downunder
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 07 June 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried just about every way of mounting a camera in the car and on my bikes, and i have to agree that the best way to go is with a "bullet" camera wired to the AV/IN on your camcorder. I bought the one from M.J.H's suggestion from www.onbike.tv because i liked the mounting solution they had for it. It's just a piece of rubber molded to insert the camera in it, and they claim it eliminates vibrations completely. I tried it and must say i am really pleased with it, videos are really stable even on my bike on the racetrack at race speeds. I also used their LANC remote control which lets me start/stop the camcorder at the push of a button on the dashboard, very convenient! Very Happy
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Tue, 07 June 2005 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.hiddencamera.com.au/cool_gadgets/helmet _camera.html

I think ive found my saivior Smile high resolution cams at a good price with bits and pieces to suit my needs Wink

Oh and their in australia
SirLyndon
Occasional Poster

December 2004
. Wed, 08 June 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 02:06]

Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Wed, 08 June 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not duct tape it to your helmet like they do on Who Dares Wins. might be a bit shakey though.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Vieo camera mounting - for race car Wed, 08 June 2005 22:31 Go to previous message
Actually the head is a good spot to mount a camera as it is actually kept quite stable (that is what your inner ear is up to).

Check these out:

http://www.cookiecomposites.com/
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st162 3sge gearbox
Next Topic:toyota part numbers needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:33:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071470737457275 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.