Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Painting a Celica!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Painting a Celica! Tue, 31 May 2005 11:44 Go to next message
Just wondering if many ppl have painted here before..

I'd appreciate if anyone might be able to help me out on this subject...

i'm respraying a celica st162 SX..
Its Red at the moment.. the standard red, the paint is quite good on it in some parts, but on the right side i think its been resprayed and they have sprayed a clear coat over the top of it.. The bonnet also has quite a few stone chips, and the sunroof will need doing as well..

So basically i'd respray the whole car. How much paint would i actually need? Don't exactly feel like gettin Way more than necessary. Which thinners as well would be needed? Can i use the k&h General Thinners?

What else would be needed apart from the following and how much would u say is needed:

- Enamyl Paint
- Primer Filler
- Thinners
- Sand Paper
- Masking Tape..

Also tryin to figure out about colour. I wouldn't mind doin it the standard colour, but i've taken a liking to the colour that appears on these cars

http://private.carsales.com.au/photos/548375.jpg
http://img158.echo.cx/img158/7766/54409810mw.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:46]

Send a private message to this user    
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Painting a Celica! Wed, 01 June 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spoken to heaps of painters and most will tell you a different thing ,but it will depend on the colour.A dark colour covers better so you won't need as much before you cant see thought the paint.I did my KE20 in a little less than 4lts but it was dark grey, on the other hand my brothers hilux needed a bit over 8lts to get it right but it was stright Yellow tinter plus it's a bit bigger than the KE20
I would say with red aleast 4lts maybe 6 just to be safe.stick with a standard colour buy 4lts and see how you go.
Good luck with it
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Painting a Celica! Wed, 01 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 Ls will be fine
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Painting a Celica! Thu, 02 June 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 21:44

Also tryin to figure out about colour. I wouldn't mind doin it the standard colour, but i've taken a liking to the colour that appears on these cars

http://private.carsales.com.au/photos/548375.jpg
http://img158.echo.cx/img158/7766/54409810mw.jpg

Dude i know you have changed your mind on colour now, but do you realise that colour on those 2 toyotas, is the same as your original colour, 'Super Red II, 3E5'. Toyota haven't changed there colours in years
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Painting a Celica! Fri, 03 June 2005 00:57 Go to previous message
Jorrs wrote on Wed, 01 June 2005 22:57

4 Ls will be fine

4ltrs will probably be too much if your simply doing an overcoast of the standard colour. youll be suprised how far 2.5L will go.

also how are you planing on spraying this on?
- what size compressor do you have?needs to be over 2.5.horse power
- where are you spraying it? do you have access to a booth?
- whos spraying it for you? with it just being a top coat (if thats what you decide on) then the chances of running will increase and it may be tricky to get the hang of.
- what type of paint will you be getting? 2pac has to be sprayed in a booth because its illegal to vent into the atmosphere.
- if you do manage to get 2pac it cant be done through a gravity fed gun.

other than that make sure you do ALOT of sanding and get pin dents out. dont let your primer get wet and try to let the primer stand for as close to 24hrs as possible.

you will also need a few ltrs if clear
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Saw something weird today !!! petrol below $1.00
Next Topic:80s Toyota headlamps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 03:51:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049960613250732 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.