Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
replacing a clutch Thu, 28 November 2002 08:31 Go to next message
Im pretty sure my clutch is on the way out and i was wondering how difficult it is to replace myself. I have never done any work on a car except for full servace/ tune and a carby rebuild.

any info would be great thanks

Daniel

(edit) the car is a 1976 ra23 celica with a w50? gearbox (the car is completly stock)

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2002 08:32]

Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: replacing a clutch Thu, 28 November 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It shouldn't be too hard, as long as you have a few tools &/or are prepared to buy a couple tools.
Get 4 car stands & jack the car high. Pull out the d'shaft, disconnect the speedo cable, & start removing bolts from the box to the motor. Get in the car & pull out the centre console shifter surround & pull the shifter out of the box (never done a W50 so don't know exactly what's involved). Get the rest of the box to engine bolts from the top, & once you're sure they're ALL off, jump back under with someone else to help.
Pull off the clutch slave cylinder & tuck it out of the way too, then unbolt the crossmember.
Don't worry, the box ain't gonna fall of the motor, so you don't have to rush. You can either both start pulling & tugging until the box comes loose & drop it down manually, which can be tricky, or I managed to sut up a jack at the front of my box & another inside above the shifter hole with a loop of rope around the back of the box.
Once you have the box out, unblt the clutch & assess the flywheel & repeat the above steps in the reverse order.

Or you could just go get a Haynes manual or the like...... Smile
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: replacing a clutch Thu, 28 November 2002 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh, dont forget to drain the oil BEFORE pulling the driveshaft out. hehhe
W50 shifter out is easy, 4 bolts, pull up. done
it may be easier too tilt the motor backwards inorder to get the box out coz of the firewall
do this by undoing all the exhaust mount rings, and u may need to loosen the engine mount bolts a bit, depending on how the engine is weighted
this should make it easier to get the box out on an angle rather than flat.
make sure u allow a whole day for this, coz things can and do go wrong.
disconnect the battery too if u like, coz the starter motor has a habit of shorting out on the block.!!!

thats about it too, munki summed most of it up

Peewee
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: replacing a clutch Thu, 28 November 2002 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are a weak pissant like me, get your strongest friend to help lift it in place....W50 is 40 kg dry. Oh, you can fill the box from the shifter hole too.....makes life easier when it comes time to refill.

Also lining up the clutch is pretty important otherwise the gearbox will never go in. If you can get one, use a clutch aligning tool, otherwise use a paintbrush handle to centre everything.

Cheers Dave.
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: replacing a clutch Thu, 28 November 2002 23:21 Go to previous message
Having fucked around changing w58 boxes (with more fun to come, woohoo... NOT!), find a spare gearbox main shaft so you can align the clutch! Will save you a couple of hours of pointless fucking around moving the gearbox back and forth.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 Supra-convert 4 stud wheels to 5 stud
Next Topic:4agze pulley boost??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Oct 9 01:24:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042028427124023 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.