Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 07:07 Go to next message
I ran a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I've heard of ppl using Perspex for windows instead of glass to lighten a car but I have a few Q's:

Is it Street Legal?
Is it stronger than Glass?
How much lighter than glass is it?
Has anybody here done it?
and finally
Any ideas on $$$?
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 16:37

Is it Street Legal?

Probably not. Ring the RTA.

Quote:

Is it stronger than Glass?

No.
It doesnt smash as easily, but it bends which decreases the stength in the roof of your car if you roll it (hence why its probably illegal).

Quote:

How much lighter than glass is it?

For the same thickness, a lot lighter.

Quote:

Any ideas on $$$?

Yellow pages.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, not street legal.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt recommend this, although lighter its a poor mans window..
i doubt it to be street legal very very very much.
also with perspex youll get a scratchy cloud like appearance in it after not too long.. plus haveing the windows moulded would be an absolute fortune.
id stick to glass.
LUX15M
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not Perspex its called lexan. It does stratch easily and it is expensive to get it made up if it not an off the shelf item.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LUX15M wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 18:34

its not Perspex its called lexan. It does stratch easily and it is expensive to get it made up if it not an off the shelf item.

Rolling Eyes
Unless you are american, which i doubt, then its not called Lexan at all. Perspex and Lexan are one and the same, its like spelling Colour and Color.
Anyway, perspex/plexi/lexan windows are quite light for what they are, and if they are on fixed 1/4s (like sprinters) then they are quite easy to do. Simply 1-2mm perspex sheets can be cut to size and siliconed in place. Normally ill add a couple of rivets around the edge to just secure it nicely.

Sheets of perspex are around $15 and can do about 8 windows. Or 4 pairs.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 19:17

LUX15M wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 18:34

Rolling Eyes
Unless you are american, which i doubt, then its not called Lexan at all. Perspex and Lexan are one and the same, its like spelling Colour and Color.
Anyway, perspex/plexi/lexan windows are quite light for what they are, and if they are on fixed 1/4s (like sprinters) then they are quite easy to do. Simply 1-2mm perspex sheets can be cut to size and siliconed in place. Normally ill add a couple of rivets around the edge to just secure it nicely.

Sheets of perspex are around $15 and can do about 8 windows. Or 4 pairs.

lexan is supposedly bulletproof hence its used in racing. Perspex being bulletproof is news to me.. we used that stuff in design & tech at school to make absoloute crap. Theyre both types of plastic but I always thought lexan was a denser/special grade?. Theyre the same? Shocked
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lexan and Plexi are exactly the same thing.
After a bit of searching i found that the reason that Lexan is the biggest producer of plexiglass in the US is a company called GELexan who produce a product called... you guessed it: Lexan. http://www.gelexan.com/gelexan/

Lexan do produce a type of plastic which is bullet resistant (obviously not proof) although a lot of other plastic manufacturers also produce one under their own branding.

EDIT: Also the thickness for Lexan(tm) to be bullet resistant is somewhere in the order of 20-25mm. Which you would never consider for a race car.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 09:55]

Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Perspex Windows Sat, 04 June 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all your answers just curious.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Perspex Windows Sun, 05 June 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be legal to run on the rear 1/4 windows/hatch window?

I'm thinking of what to put into a fibreglass hatch. I wouldnt think a heavy pain of glass could be supported.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Perspex Windows Sun, 05 June 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why bother putting glass back into the hatch. The glass is the heaviest part.

A 1-2mm thick sheet wont hold its own weight over the size of a hatch and will have to be reinforced. The usual way to do it is with 1mm alloy plate along the inside.
The 1/4windows are fine without any reinforcement as gravity doesnt have as much of an effect.

Completely not road legal though, then again neither is a fibre hatch.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: Perspex Windows Sun, 05 June 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use both types of these plastics at work.

Perspex is acrylic plastic. Perspex is a trade name.
It a cheap crappy plastic that breaks easily and would be no use as glass replacement in a car - too dangerous. Most older light fittings had the plastic as there diffuser. It not as common these days. Quite brittle. It chips easily when cut with a jigsaw.

Plexiglass/lexan are trade names for polycarbonate. This is the plastic you would use. It is nearly indestructable. Very impact resistant - it is quite flexible but retains it's shape well. Cuts and drills very easily. Although quite expensive(2x) compared to perspex it is better to use in nearly all applications.

Polycarbonate is bullet proof to a degree. I've put it to the test personally using standard 8mm sheeting. Fired from around 15-20 metres, the plastic stopped a standard .22, a .22 hornet round as well as a regular 12 gauge buckshot cartridge. It however did not stop a 5.56, 7.62 or a 12gauge solid as you would expect. 12mm sheeting might stop a 12 gauge solid I feel but certainly not the others.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2005 07:14]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Perspex Windows Sun, 05 June 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to put glass back in there Smile that would defeat the purpose.

But I was thinking that to a police officer giving the car a quick once over a fiberglass panel would not be obvious. Well not nearly as obvious as a lexan rear hatch window.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Perspex Windows Sun, 05 June 2005 09:54 Go to previous message
lack of rear demister might piss you off in winter.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7mge sump?
Next Topic:Sprinter Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:00:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078699588775635 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.