Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4 owners dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 13 October 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope u aren't pulling the radiator out to get the turbo...not really necessary.

Its not too hard a job, at least with the zaust system i had on it. i wound up pulling the whole turbo, manifold and down-pipe out in one unit.

Just take your time and label all hoses and wires that u take off is the best advice. Glancing over the articles is another good one (i didn't really, just fumbled my way through it)
  Send a private message to this user    
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Took my ST205 to the drags last night - consistant 13.5's with 1.9 60' times from standard motor running factory 10psi and full street trim, quite pleased with it.

Excellent time! Im excited as to what i'll pull when i replace the (original) clutch.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me too tim, cause then i will have it in undeniable facts that a st205 halfcut transplant is worth the $$$$$$!!
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not like gonna make a difference to me because i honestly drive the thing like an old man (usually) but Matt from Toyospares reckons KYOTO was quicker than his old 205. I just like the look of em though, im into all things 80's atm!

Apart from anything else if i start driving it hard regularly i have a feeling the original gearbox/synchros will start unravelling themselves. The way it is now i'd hazard a guess at something below 14sec but more than 13.5sec. With the clutch and flywheel setup i've ordered this should get closer to consistent 13.5s or maybe a touch below but then again, this is all just based on 205 performance times and weights so really i wouldn't have a clue!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt know matt had a 205? was it that silver 1 they had up for sale a lil while ago?

i wonder what times that 200kw group A would do? i forget whos it was, the white one that is up for sale???
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The previous owner (Justen) had mentioned 12.5's or something like that on the gtech (without ecu upgrade).

I should be removing it from the 4 sale section soon. Good chance I'll be keeping her afterall Smile

Tony
Regular

October 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's good news!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day all,

today when I was doing a 3 point turn and was dry steering I noticed the power steering was rather loud, a high pitch whine with a bit of a small rattle in it and could feel the hum though the clutch. Anyone else witnessed this with there gt4's?

is this a sign of the power steering motor failing?

Cheers
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all

Got my car on the dyno today 109.1kw and 534.2Nm
it was only runing 6 pounds of boost Confused I thought they ran 7 standard

I will post the graphs up soon
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your turbo got tired of not having to do much, that's why you need a rebuild Smile

Good result Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 06:39]

Tony
Regular

October 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For comparison, mine's a stock boost setup & is running about 10psi (well now about 11psi with Aussie DP).
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 15:58

G'day all,

today when I was doing a 3 point turn and was dry steering I noticed the power steering was rather loud, a high pitch whine with a bit of a small rattle in it and could feel the hum though the clutch. Anyone else witnessed this with there gt4's?

is this a sign of the power steering motor failing?

Cheers

checked or replaced your power steering fluid lately???
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fluid is full and was done 4600k's ago
should the fluid be boiling when the car is running? I was driving for a while then heard the noise so popped the cap on the fluid while the car was still running and could see alot of bubbles and it was swirling around???
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 14 October 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fluid should not be boiling. If it is swirling that means you have no blockages and the pump is working.

I would say you got the wrong type of fluid in your car or you got air pockets in your line.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 12:56]

tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 15 October 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone in Melbourne own a red Group A, travelling along Doncaster Rd/High St. towards East Kew today at around 3.40?

I was surprised, as it's the first Group A I've seen on the road since I bought mine last year!
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 15 October 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spotted a red groupA around the Dandenong-Noble Park area a week or 2 ago. they look crazy from the rear view mirror.
farva
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 15 October 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys just out of curiousity, what is that black box you can see in the picture below? I've circled it in red. Its just I havent seen it on other gt4's. Thanks

http://poeds.customer.netspace.net.au/GT4B3red.JPG
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you unscrew the two nuts on the top, beneath you will find the cruise control actuator. Group A's don't have them.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Sat, 15 October 2005 19:26

i spotted a red groupA around the Dandenong-Noble Park area a week or 2 ago. they look crazy from the rear view mirror.

Heh, I'm not used to seeing that front coming towards me and I was like Shocked
farva
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So do all gt4's have cruise control? Cause I've seen some engine bays without the box?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, read my post again Smile Group A's do not have cruise control.

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and most Gt4's in general dont have it ..

I know all the gt4's ive seen dont .

Would be handy as an aftermarket add on for long trips, but yeah , not all that important
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other one has cruise. However it stopped working for some reason.
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed this year the toyota rally team are running frontmounts instead of the WTA for the first time. I was speaking to Simon Evans (Good Bloke) on why the change. He said it was due to the weight of the WTA system and not the performance.The was a 18 kg difference between the WTA and ATA when I changed mine.

Might interest those looking at intercooler options.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i decided to go for the W2A setup, i had also took into consideration the weight of the setup. but in the end i'm not building a race car so wasnt too fussed.
besides that i reckon, i made up for the weight difference by converting to the grp-a front reo bar.
hehe
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you just bolt the WTA from a group A onto a standard gt4? and do you need the group A bonnet? I really like the look of the scoop over the group A bonnet. So I want to keep the bonnet but go WTA as I want to change the intercooler as I have to remove the BOV that the previous owner had installed and as he has done the weld to the intercooler I figured it would be easier to change the intercooler. If I am doing that I may as well go WTA. Unless someone can recomend me a cheap plumback BOV, And tell me where the air goes back into the system.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a grp-a 185 w2a should bolt onto standard 185. tho i'm certain you would also need the inlet adapter off the grp-a.
the grp-a bonnet will vent much more air than a standard 185 bonnet. the other thing to consider is where to mount the heat exchanger on the standard 185.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey black gt4, any word about ur suspension kit yet? im hanging to get it installed so bad! did he say how long it might take for ur order to arrive?
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puffy wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 18:51

I noticed this year the toyota rally team are running frontmounts instead of the WTA for the first time. I was speaking to Simon Evans (Good Bloke) on why the change. He said it was due to the weight of the WTA system and not the performance.The was a 18 kg difference between the WTA and ATA when I changed mine.

Might interest those looking at intercooler options.

I saw that Also Puffy, was shocked to see a frount mount there went we saw it at the motorshow. I tried desperatley to get them to open the bonnet, but it was padlock locked, and they didnt have the key. Sad

Why did you change from WTA to ATA? I was thinking about going ATA, but its special and specific to the group A, thats all that is holding me back, also the fact that i have to someone how fool that sensor to thinking there is no shortage of coolant in WTA, not sure how to do that yet though.

Here are some pics i took when we went down for the F1.
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/568/dsc13296fo.jpg
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/5615/dsc13314zh.jpg

Very Happy
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 16 October 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Sun, 16 October 2005 23:08

hey black gt4, any word about ur suspension kit yet? im hanging to get it installed so bad! did he say how long it might take for ur order to arrive?

i'm expecting for them to recieve the parts this week sometime.
i'm sure he will call us as soon as he gets them.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 17 October 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did the Whiteline stuff end up costing from Bursons? Saw brand new TEIN SS coilovers for 185 on Ebay this week for approx AUD$2k.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 17 October 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my kit was $1870 for the full works kit. plus whatever it is for the extra bumpstops.

more than i expected, but meh what can ya do.

thats cool that coil overs were 2k, but thats nothing about bushes swaybars or camber adjustment.

shocks and springs arent everything abour handling.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That price sounds pretty identical to the online catalogue price??? Agreed its a more rounded package though. Also, the TEINs i mentioned are camber adjustable and depending where u get em from are compatible with the EDFC. (Though thats fairly gh3y and just a novelty thing!)
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I know there are differences between the exhaust manifolds between gen2-3 something like the 3 having an extra bolt/stud through it?
Where is it located?
When I puled my gen2 manifold off I noticed a spare bolt hole on the left hand side top would this be it and if so would it be possible to bolt the gen3 manifold up?

Cheers
Jono
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whiteline price is $2250 for full works kit.

i just called whiteline to sort that shit out.
if u look at there website, it says that the schocks for front have 1 part number, as do the rears. right beside the description of the item it has a colums "Qty/kit". i was logically assuming that this ment quantity of parts in the kit! and beside the shock absorber description was the number "2" for "qty/kit".

what it actually means is, that u would require 2 of these parts! and the prices i got were for each, not a pair. very missleading, as under "the works" kit list, it has the same part number, yet some how a kit gives u a pair instead of just 1? (well i fukn hope it does!)

very damn confusing, so im sorry about my previous statement of $870 for shocks and springs. didnt sound right to me either but thats what i came up with. its actually about $1200 for shocks alone.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Koni's are teh Expensive but you get what you pay for ..

I think ive tried explaining this to you in the past ...
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah im not saying there bad, im just saying more than i thought. like i said i still ordered the kit.

but ill let ya know what i think once theyre installed hopefully within a weeks time Very Happy

cant wait!
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 11:08

That price sounds pretty identical to the online catalogue price???

just to get this straight..
price i am getting from bursone for the st185 kit = $1600 + GST
price listed on the whiteline webstore for the same kit = $1883.64 + GST

edit: kyoto sorry forgot u were talking about the ST165. Tho for the ST185 its definatly worth getting the parts thru bursons.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 06:21]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 16:12

nah im not saying there bad, im just saying more than i thought. like i said i still ordered the kit.

but ill let ya know what i think once theyre installed hopefully within a weeks time Very Happy

cant wait!

[/psychic powers]

I already know your response ..

It will be " my car handles great! "

Just wait and see ..

[/end psychic powers]
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, lets hope so.

but yeah ill be on here in a week ranting and raveing about how good it is. just go along with it like "wow i had no idea".
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 18 October 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 17:51

carsanactra wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 16:12

cant wait!

[/psychic powers]

I already know your response ..

It will be " my car handles great! "

Just wait and see ..

[/end psychic powers]

No it won't... it'll be "how the fuck do I install these rear inserts"

Note: Cut bottom of insert as per koni instructions else your inserts will be stuffed real quick!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or get someone professional to fit them
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And then he'll be saying "why the fuck are my shocks bottoming out" followed by "professional installer guy replace my koni's and give me my money back biatch!"

Trust me!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im gona give it to the guys at toyospares and get it done properly, ill just warn matt that the rear shocks are a conversion.

actually where abouts in melbourne is a good place to get them done? should i just go the recomended whiteline installers?

or did u guys just put in ur own kits?

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 03:36]

Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YGT04A wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 11:38

Ok I know there are differences between the exhaust manifolds between gen2-3 something like the 3 having an extra bolt/stud through it?
Where is it located?
When I puled my gen2 manifold off I noticed a spare bolt hole on the left hand side top would this be it and if so would it be possible to bolt the gen3 manifold up?

Cheers
Jono

I thought the Gen 2 was 4 studs and the Gen 3 6 studs - not sure.

Are you replacing the manifold? How did you go with the removing the turbo - was it as hard as they say?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

actually where abouts in melbourne is a good place to get them done? should i just go the recomended whiteline installers?

Trutrack in Nth Melbourne would be my pick...
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matty P wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 14:02

YGT04A wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 11:38

Where is it located?

Cheers
Jono

I thought the Gen 2 was 4 studs and the Gen 3 6 studs - not sure.

Are you replacing the manifold? How did you go with the removing the turbo - was it as hard as they say?

I can tell you now it has more than 4 studs holding it in

Yeah I got the turbo dump pipe and cat out ok was a bit of a bitch though ended up taking the manifold out at the same time as it seemed like the logical thing to do to get it out easier
YGT04A
Regular

November 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi dose anyone know where to get new studs for the exhaust manifold and the turbo?
I figure I may as well put new ones in while it is all out.
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YGT04A wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 19:24

Hi dose anyone know where to get new studs for the exhaust manifold and the turbo?
I figure I may as well put new ones in while it is all out.

I'm interested in this as well, as I have to replace some broken studs in my manifold too Rolling Eyes

I have a feeling they are generic items that can be purchased from Repco etc.. Hope I don't have to go to Toyota for them!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 19 October 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep you should be able to pick them up at repco off the shelf... or order in some ARP ones.
I plan on going ARP happy on my new engine... studs, mains, rod bolts (came with rods), flywheel bolts (came with flywheel), manifolds etc. etc.
Matty P
Regular

November 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 20 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Repco in Fyshwick said they only have Champion studs, but can order in some other brand I never heard of. They don't do ARP.

Anyone know where to get ARP studs?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 20 October 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone got a spare ct26 lying around? A generous offer will follow.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 20 October 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car update!

my car is now running a st205 w2a intercooler with genuine heat exchanger and pump. had to buy the heat exchanger brand new from toyota. it was a last minute decision cause we had a subaru one that we were going to use. but i convinced myself to get the real thing. and i am glad i did. it is absolutly huge and looks the goods behind the group-a front bar.

pic over the weekend.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 20 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
farout man, spend spend spend hey.
remember to hold onto some cash fot ur whiteline kit to get installed!

speaking of which! its been 1 week today! should be here!
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 21 October 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it most people on here have some or all whiteline parts in their cars, but if people are interested in purchasing (Im after a works kit) would it be fruitful to organise a group buy??
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 21 October 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anybody know a good place around the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne to get a good exhaust system done for the GT4, as I am still looking. I pretty much need the entire thing.
I would also love an idea of price.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 21 October 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is my solution for exhaust on the GTfour...
get the aussie dump pipe. and front connecting pipe if u can afford it. then get the rest custom made at a reputable exhaust shop.
for an idea on price for that..
Dump and connecting pipe+cat.converter.. $1100 - Hpc coated Dump! aussie or not u want it hpc coated! The connecting pipe is painted in hi-temp black.
Custom made rest of the system i was quoted $500
That was at Ultimate exhaust in dandenong. His been doing the job for 25 years and i wouldnt go anywhere else.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 21 October 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Was driving home tonight along old cleveland rd, and a grey gt4 pulled out paint was a bit faded on top, we had a bit of a run.
Are you on this site mate? I would like to know what mods u have as u started pulling away.

Thanks

Andrew

esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 22 October 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black, what type of exhuast system was it? 3", 2.5" did it have a cat? Is it legal, as I need to pass a RWC with this car.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 22 October 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
its a 3" system. cant see why it would be illegal. yes and it came with the cat coverter too.
at the moment i am running just the dump and connecting pipe. that alone gave me a noticable gain in performance. sounds very close to stock aswel. not loud at all.

regarding the st205 setup. i'm convinced i made the right choice! alot more grunt in the mid range rpm, and NO heatsoak.
also thought it was mad that after the hard drive i touch the intercooler and it is cool as. awesome, tho dont ask how much it all costed!!

[Updated on: Sat, 22 October 2005 10:07]

Pages (23): [ «  <  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:18:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011505842208862 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.