Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4 owners dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2005 12:40

Also while im thinking about it - Who here uses whitelines front thicker swaybar and strut brace ??or front strut bracing of any kind

they dont do a front swaybar Sad
front brace would be interesting
btw are they still using my car pic on the st185 tech sheet?

cheers Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops double post Embarassed

[Updated on: Mon, 04 July 2005 03:02]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run a custom Whiteline swaybar on the front of the red beast and whiteline strut braces front and rear along with the stock front brace. Combined with the underbody bracing makes for a very stiff chassis
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the front strut brace. Makes a difference, though not as much as i am lead to believe the thicker rear anti-roll bar does. In terms of value for money though its a great mod.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p226 89616

these rims look nice.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do these http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p226 57162

edit:
http://www.marukanet.co.jp/a-tech/

http://www.marukanet.co.jp/a-tech/schneider/as051450wheel.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 00:22]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Horn !

* Overseas it does not dispatch. (Seller will not ship internationally.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those wheels in the second pic look good.
The works rims look like they stick out from the tyre heaps... i.e. the opposite of dish.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 04 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hell yeah, them wheels look AWWWWWSOME!!
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i have added some pics of the suspension change on my members thread so have a look if ya want Very Happy will add some of how it looks now as soon as i take some Razz

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=52762&start=0&rid=6225&S=17b0c559769 6a358af7f770b19ca0411
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a nice big open workshop you've got there bill Laughing
have to bring it around to finish sorting it out

cheers Very Happy
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gt48u wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 10:32

thats a nice big open workshop you've got there bill Laughing
have to bring it around to finish sorting it out

cheers Very Happy

hehe it sure is alot of space lol. Yeah definitely have to bring it around it seems to be boosting ok now but id say it would still have the same probs as b4 if i turn it up anywhere past 7-8psi. main prob atm is just how rough it is running i think it prob just needs some bits and pieces for ignition cause i think the dizzy cap is gettin bit worn and same with ignition leads. Also other general service stuff like it is due for oil/oil filter change and fuel filter change. Will have to meet up with u on a weekend sometime? need to wait for next pay check b4 i buy any of that stuff though hehe Razz
Bill
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If we can establish whether the 165 dizzy assembly (cap, rotor arm. etc) and leads are compatible between ST165 and ST185 as long as you don't mind buying secondhand stuff i can sell you some basically new (2,100km) ignition stuff straight from Toyota Japan. I can even put it in the orginal box for ya! It came off my Gen 1 engine that decided to die on me.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 01:57]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 11:44

If we can establish whether the 165 dizzy assembly (cap, rotor arm. etc) and leads are compatible between ST165 and ST185 as long as you don't mind buying secondhand stuff i can sell you some basically new (2,100km) ignition stuff straight from Toyota Japan. I can even put it in the orginal box for ya! It came off my Gen 1 engine that decided to die on me.

sounds good Very Happy im not sure about compatibility either so would have to check that first Very Happy thanx, Bill

Also is that the factory toyota gear or is that aftermarket?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 02:10]

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no probs Bill

let me know

cheers Very Happy
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2005 12:37

Anyone here heard about Anti lift kits for the Gt4 -

I knew justen was planning something - but dunno what came of it ?

And can someone get me a decent picture of the rear light assemblies on a Group A St185 please !

Check these two links out on ozcelica dude:

http://majorca.globat.com/~ozcelica.com/forums/vie wtopic.php?t=865

http://majorca.globat.com/~ozcelica.com/forums/vie wtopic.php?t=1734

I am a bit of a picture whore, tell me if you would like more detailed photos.

Very Happy
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Straight from Toyota, in Japan
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey does anyone know if you can get Tein HA's for the ST185?
The only Tein coilovers I can find that are specifically listed for the ST185 are the Tein SS Coilovers.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maaate, i have HA's in the red beast...transferred over from the White car
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2005 12:37

Anyone here heard about Anti lift kits for the Gt4 -

I knew justen was planning something - but dunno what came of it ?

And can someone get me a decent picture of the rear light assemblies on a Group A St185 please !

Whiteline were going to do an antilift kit for a while.
I just spoke to them and asked about it and they said they canned the idea because nobody appeared interested.
Maybe if everyone gives them a call they will pick the idea back up again.
I know I would buy a set if they made them.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does anyone know if the dizzy and leads are compatible between st165 and st185 ? like from gen 1 to gen 2 engines

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 04:14]

sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ Dude, im not sure if they are interchangeable and stuff, but there not the sort of thing you want second hand.

Toobs wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 14:01

Hey does anyone know if you can get Tein HA's for the ST185?
The only Tein coilovers I can find that are specifically listed for the ST185 are the Tein SS Coilovers.

I wouldnt mind knowing this too, Ive ordered a set of Tein Superstreet coilovers for mine.

JustenGT4 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 14:02

maaate, i have HA's in the red beast...transferred over from the White car

I searched everywhere for these Justen, It appears no one stocks them anymore, and are not interested in ordering a set.

Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 05:18]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOOBS, time for you to become the GP master Smile Talk to Bob tate. Looks like we would have some numbers here?

Hmmm if TEINs are no longer available then the Whiteline coilovers would be a good option. Either that or go to the US where you could still get them?
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i wouldn't usually buy that sort of stuff secondhand either but 2100 km is hardly secondhand and i love bargain as long as they r in good condition Razz
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was gonna go DMS. I knew they were expensive but i can't justify $3,500 on a car like mine when a set of TEINs or failing that, Whitelines that will do the job (for now) for substantially less.

The HAs were replaced by the SS's. I'm sure if u look hard enough you will be able to get HAs. I myself am prolly going to do that or get the SSs for the 185 and convert the strut housings to accept them. The Group N Whitelines look decent enough for hard street and occassional track use anyway.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well who here would genuinelyy be interested in a kit ?

if we have numbers to say oi mr tate we have X number of gt4 owners looking to get a anti lift kit - it might get the ball rolling !

BTW for all that hate ( said tongue in cheek ) my group A parts finding prowess, ive just sourced and secured a genuine sticker kit for the "182" grey Group A - and they WILL be going on my car after respray ..

I know some people will whinge " oh its not a real group A " but its drivetrain speaks for itself in that regard , and i wont be claiming if it ever sells that its a limited edition genuine jobbie - as i plan to subtly alter the sticker kit wording to make sure its one off , probably by adding " hybrid " in there somewhere

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 08:25]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how many people would want the following for the ST185:
1. Anti-lift kit
2. Caster adjustment kit

If we can get a reasonable number of people we should be able to convince Whiteline that it would be worthwhile doing.

Also I'm going to phone the Tein AU distributor tomorrow to see WTF is the deal with Tein HA's and the ST185... if they're still available I'll probably grab a set.
If anyone else wants a set I can probably get quantities cheaper from Hong Kong or Taiwan as I have some friends over that way.
Just have to think of some dodgy way to get them in without paying the 15% duty on import car parts!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id be down for both tooch - providing i can afford themn at the time they become available ..

Anything to help improve the hadling of the car is a good thing in my books
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might have to show you up by activating the factory water injection. I always thought it was just an interecooler spray but Matt & Co. reckon there is a nozzle on the underside of the intake manifold, and i know there is a pinout on the ECU.

Hmmm....

PS: my driver's door is missing the decals following some panel work, i got all the 165 decals at home to so i better get them on!

Tim
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
205 group A's def' had factory water injection .. if you can get it running youd save yourself some money - as ERL setups for example are not cheep!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmm... Underbracing!
Only 24,100JPY
http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/Pic010/112-012.JPG

Pillowball strut tops with camber AND caster adjustment!
Only $299US
http://www.185performance.com/images/items/N44056S.jpg

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy me some toobs ? theres a good mate !
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure I've seen those ERL inline pumps before... and not on anything to do with water.
I "think" they might be a fuel pump... also the thing on the "manifold" looks a lot like an air-con pressure switch.

If you could find that high speed valve I reckon you could make up a kit very similar to the ERL 2c system for shedloads less!
Time to hit Globalsources for a few samples!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toobs, you reckon those braces do anything? as effective as the AE86 "boot brace"??

btw, for spark plug leads, they seem to be around AUD$50 on yahoo auctions... (plus freight to Aus) what are they worth down under?

Cya, Stewart

edit: keep me posted of small (ie not heavy or big) items that are hard to get in Aus, and are available here Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2005 15:36]

KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me just say that i had have no vested interest in selling these as my friend is keepn to build my engine for a 86 spplication, however the rotor cap was a bitch to get. They sent the wrong one twice and then ended uo making up another one from scratch for me. All in all it took abaout two and it months.

Also a re-washable TRD hi-flo filter. On the All-TRac site they reckon is has kower resistance than name brand filters. zi can't verify this though...
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn has this thread woken up in the last few days. Very Happy Very Happy

I would be interested in a Anti-lift kit dude...depending what they provide...., Not so much on the camber tops though. That underbody bracing looks the business, i am keen to buy both versions.

Cheers
Cool
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only the 205 had water injection and don't bother looking for it on the ECU there's nothing in there to run it. The gear is there but not even the Group N ran the factory delivered ECU. The 185 just has the cold start injector.

As for the ERL kit that is a dedicated SS high pressure water pump. A very good kit but yes expensive. I ran one on the White car to great effect but have used a custom sysem on the red car, mainly for packaging reasons. I use a 100psi SurFlo pump.

I had, and sold, one of those underbody braces. Looked like it would work a treat but NOT if you had anything other than the stock exhaust. You must know how tight it is under there so adding more bits makes it virtually impossible to run anything but the stock exhaust.

I'd be up for an anti lift kit
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 05 July 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 01:34

toobs, you reckon those braces do anything? as effective as the AE86 "boot brace"??

btw, for spark plug leads, they seem to be around AUD$50 on yahoo auctions... (plus freight to Aus) what are they worth down under?

Cya, Stewart

edit: keep me posted of small (ie not heavy or big) items that are hard to get in Aus, and are available here Wink

When i asked for gt4 leads at super cheap they said that the sets they could order in ranged from 150-180 Shocked So AUD$50 sounds a shit load better. Is that brand new toyota one? or what brand r they?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For leads just give Magnecore a call

Quote:

Thundercords / Magnecore will sell items at trade prices to all who display their ToyMods membership card.

Phone: (02) 9749-9600
Fax: (02) 9749-9431

And for all those running aftermarket ignition systems they do custom leads too!
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that heads up on the lower arm braces justen, I was about to order them too, damn this 3" exahust. Crying or Very Sad

What Leads are you guys running? and Spark plugs also? whats price range for a good set? ive just realised i havent replaced mine since i bought the car. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 01:08]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm i might have to give them a ring i have heard they r pretty good im just a tight arse Razz pitty i dont have a membership trade price would be awesome.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs. It wouldn't be a huge amount of work to make up a brace to suit a big exhaust system but i suspect it will cost you ground clearance. If there's a genuine interest in such a brace i can get access to my old GrpA with 3 inch system and make something up. Have to be 5 or more to make it cost effective.

On leads. I have run 19psi on the stock ignition system and had no spark issues so except for price if you can find cheaper i would just use factory leads if i neded a new set. If you are looking for a performance gain your money is better spent elsewhere.

With leads and plugs you can easily lose perf but very rarely make worthwhile gains from systems other than factory unless you are very very highly modified
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about straight forward TRD leads - inknow i can source these from penrith TRD if needs be - and seeing mine are getting a bit on the old cooked side - had considered them ..

Re water injection - thats also on my wants list here - and will most likely fork out for ERL for the fact i know it works and has a good reputation on gt4's
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just spoke to Wayne @ Whiteline, he said it wouldn't be worth doing the R&D for 10 or so people.
I might try to stir up some interest on GT4OC to see if they will allow a group buy or something.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im not lookin for perfomance gain at all from the leads mine r just gettin old and it couldn't hurt to get new ones (aftermarket or toyota ones im not fussed) since my ignition is not the best atm. Im just tryin to get my car running as smooth as possible so services all ignition parts and hopefully gettin the timing looked at and sorted Very Happy
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah if you're replacing old leads and the price is comparable then going with TRD or other top end brand is fine, just don't expect any great hp gains and don't be fooled by the sudden improvement if your old leads were on the way out.

Bummer there TOOBS. Again, if there is geniune interest i can make something up. Bate's has some specs on the amount of offset you need to run so i can use their research as the basis. If they are just milled alloy then should be pretty cheap....if i have to go CNC then the price goes up to cover the programming. It'll be a money up front deal, let me know guys.....just a word of caution though, Toymods has a bad rep for 'gunners' on this type of thing. Being a smaller grp the GT4 crowd should be more genuine so please have a good hard think before chiming in with 'yes please'.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 06 July 2005 12:32

What about straight forward TRD leads - inknow i can source these from penrith TRD if needs be - and seeing mine are getting a bit on the old cooked side - had considered them ..

Re water injection - thats also on my wants list here - and will most likely fork out for ERL for the fact i know it works and has a good reputation on gt4's

TRD leads here cost (from TRD)... about AUD$125
what price can Penrith do?

the ones on yahoo are NGK.. like this http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h2621 7684
4000yen = $50 + shipping..
there seem to be heaps around..

as for the braces..
around 12000yen = $150+shipping
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c8852 6336

or this
http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p235 60710

Justen, you say you ran one, but would you recommend it?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 03:55]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Underbody brace? I didn't say i ran one....i had one but it would fit so i sold it to another forum member for his PRC rally car. It looked the goods and that area could do with some stiffening as you are aware the front of the lower A arms 'hang'. I stiffened up the red car significantly around that part of the chassis and even though the stock car is stiff you can still feel the difference.Prob with that brace is fitting one with any half decent exhaust on there.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, my mistake.. i read "had" for "had on the car";)
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs. It was on a half cut i imported so someone liked it Smile
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Justen,
They appear to be just a spacer plate with an offset polyurethane bush mounted in a pretty standard looking bracket.
Check out some of the other designs (e.g. EP82 Starlet, ST165 etc.)

http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/fitt ingsheets.htm

Probably wouldn't be very hard at all to make and with some urethane & hardner you could probably do it in your backyard!
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For our setup you wouldn't ned the offset bush and in most cases that's to change castor. I can't see how you would change castor on the 185 without compromising other aspects. For the anti lift geometry is should be as simple as spacing the rear A arm locating bush. Just some washers and longer bolts would do the job for testing if someone want to be an actual guinea pig.

things are slightly offset so a littel work to make the spacer look trick in alloy but if someone does the testing and has some measurements i'm happy to get it made up.

Or option A was just use whatever Bate's suggests.

Option C is replace the whole bush acrrier with a sexy CNC alloy part...you're talking dollars now though
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have a cost effective option on CNC machining if you can provide an autocad drawing of exactly what we need.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the autocad side of things where the effort is....the CNC mill isn't an issue. No matter how you cut it though doing a complete replacement would be expensive....just the alloy needed would be into the hundreds i suspect
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 06 July 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
**cough*** china ***cough***
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 07 July 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey fella's... I need to bling up my cam cover a bit as it currently looks like arse (corroded from its time at the docks) and I wondered what your thoughts are on the following options:

Polish
Pro's: Looks bling.
Con's: Looks bling, takes a shitload of time and effort or money.

Powdercoat
Pro's: Hard wearing, can be done pretty quick (2-3 days)
Cons: May be difficult or expensive to coat alloy. Bits of powdercoating may get inside the cam cover and damage the engine.

HPC / Other high temp ceramic coating
Pro's: Hard wearing, may keep underbonnet temperatures down, easy to do.
Con's: May insulate the engine and increase engine temps, can look like arse, expensive.

Modicoat www.modicoat.com
Pro's: Can coat whatever pattern I want, easy to do, looks good.
Con's: Costs $$$, may not take too kindly to the temperature.

POR15
Pro's: Very easy to do, quite cheap, will stop corrosion for life.
Con's: Can look like arse.

High temp paint
Pro's: Easy to do.
Con's: Not very hard wearing.

Thoughts???
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 07 July 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPC - 16 dollars per foot inside and out - that was for my piping ..

its not that expensive at all dude - and ill have an example of their " polished alloy " look to post for all you guys to ooh and ahh at tomorrow Smile

All My itercooler piping has been done in this manner - Hell so's my dump and midpipes and i swear by the heat retentuion properties and wear ..

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 07 July 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16 bucks per foot?
I was quoted that for a single port!
$40 for combustion chamber
$10 per piston

I suppose it probably depends how much masking they have to do... will give JPS, HPC & Comp Coatings a call tomorrow and see what they say.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 07 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 21:40

Hey Powdercoat
Pro's: Hard wearing, can be done pretty quick (2-3 days)
Cons: May be difficult or expensive to coat alloy. Bits of powdercoating may get inside the cam cover and damage the engine.

How would the powdercoating damage the engine if you get any inside the cam cover?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 07 July 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Because powdercoat overspray won't be bonded to the thing and it will be floating around in the engine.
Pages (23): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:58:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012001037597656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.