Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 29 July 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Carlos Sainz (CS) ST185 is just the same as the Group A in nearly all respects.
The ST185CS just has a different numbered plaque and may have climate control, heated seats, retractable side mirrors etc. they also came in both wide and narrow body versions.

The ST205 is a better package all round if you can afford one.
Their only downfall is that they don't "feel" like they are made as tough as the ST185's... they feel like they have thinner panels etc.
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 29 July 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust-162 - ill look into it tonight - got a few questions now ineed to raise with the guys re the wolf ECU setup

as for tuning - marty from efi hardware used dynomotives dyno to tune my car ( seeing its one of the few awd dynos in melb )

dynomotive had nothing to do with the tune , bar the use of the dyno - so no good asking the boys there about it
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 30 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quick mongrel Gt4 update:

well i know what happened now at least to my starter motor - after a quick diagnosois by mechanic this morning he can see it was welded + eventuually the welds given free

Dates back to whatever went on back with prevoius owners clutch failure - he seems to think a piece of clutch had hit it and they dodgy repaired it - instead of replacing it..

So now i just wait till i get it back again - though once again ive asked for my brakes to be finished
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 30 July 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 19:26

Ct26 is a stock steeel gutted group A Spec item - all aussie widebody Gt4's got these - Injectors are stock - fuel pump is stock but running the 13v mod , pump is stock

You got a link showing howto do this mod?

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 08:18]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 30 July 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not a modification mate - Aussie ones got the same steel turbined setups as the group A's - its a straight of the showroom floor item -

ive confirmed this with a few different toyota sources and neal bate's workshop - they didnt get the ceramic turbines like the JDM ones

or do you mean the 13v setup - all it is a jumper on the fuel pump fuse - i have a pic somewhere of how mines done - they just runn a small wire from one point to the other

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 08:30]

ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 30 July 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just saying Hi.. I need to get into the ToyMods gig a bit more..

here's my money bag. Very Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ROME_GT4/ROMESig.jpg
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 30 July 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just finished a cruise with my bro in his twincam down that dona bou-ang mountain or whatever it is (in victoria)

got back down to the bottom of the mountain, and my breaks were literally smoking, not steaming, SMOKING!

i thought that was awsome. any1 who wants a good twisty fang, what a winner that mountian is!

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 31 July 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need better -brake- cooling then - or better brakes!

Rome - indeed you do need to use here more !
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 31 July 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

got back down to the bottom of the mountain, and my breaks were literally smoking, not steaming, SMOKING!

I did this a while ago in my friends 196awk GTiR. When we got to the bottom of the mountain his brakes were on fire and my friend's S5 RX7 also lost hydraulic pressure! If nothing else its a good catalyst for upgrding your brakes as the mountian generally shows you how shit OEM brakes are.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 31 July 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last thing you want to do with any vehicle / brake combination is brake heaps down a mountain and then stop at the bottom... keep driving or you will really heat up your pads!
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 31 July 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stopping dead will warp your discs too. But hey, this just means you can replace em with something better!
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 31 July 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 17:15

Stopping dead will warp your discs too. But hey, this just means you can replace em with something better!

I totally agree. I bought my gt4 with warped disks so I replaced them with slotted rotors. If I could have afforded it I would have gone for a bigger brake, but slotted disks and Kevlar pads are working a dream. Cool
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 01 August 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK i took my stock 165 down the strip Friday nite and timed a 16.118..only gettin 5 psi boost tho???

in third was hittin 8psi for bout half a sec before it dropped back to 5psi.. any thoughts??
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 02 August 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROME_GT4 wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 23:08

Just saying Hi.. I need to get into the ToyMods gig a bit more..

yer its good round here mate Wink havent seen u here before!!
sly83
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 02 August 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone provide a simple (gt4s for dummies) step-by-step on how to remove the turbo from a 185?
I printed out the BGB guide and it seemed overly complex, ie. removal of suspension cross-member etc. Can turbo removal be done without hoisting car up?

Secondly, if you are keen, what would be the advantages of fitting an aftermarket down pipe, whilst rebuilding work (standard size internals)is being done on the turbo? Ive been reading these forums avidly but finding conclusive information on this issue has been difficult. As i understand it, upgrading turbo would simply create a choke point at the stock down pipe, but my question is, would a performance gain be evident for rebuilt turbo with std. internals/ or are we talking serious hi-flowing of turbo before aftermarket down pipe becomes beneficial?

Cheers all, love to hear your thoughts
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sly83, i actually have the same question, i think (and hope) that removing the cross members and what not is just to allow easier access, i will be removing the turbo myself next monday (and onwards, hoping it only takes a day)

As for the aftermarket downpipe

should give better spool, bit more grunt
but on the flip side it can also cause boost spikes.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant go wrong with an aussie exhaust dumpy - a heap of us on here use them - and i know for myself its given good results .

its definantly one of the first things to do on the gt4 if you want a little bit of power and flow increase - and worth the effort
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day all

I'm new to the GT4 world as I just bought one hell of a beauty today.

1990 GT4 st185 black just from japan a few months ago with 71 000 k's on the clock bog stock. interior is perfect as with the exterior.

I have a few questions did they all come stock with the toyota amp and cd stacker in the boot? pretty neat for a 1990 model car.

Have to tell yas I don't know what to do when sitting in the car so many buttons and switches hehehe I love it(previos car nissan et pulsar)

But yeah love this car great to drive and can't wait to start learning about it and modifying it.

whats the first thing I should do to it??

cheers guys

Andrew
o yeah I'm in brissy south side
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok

I have been reading plenty of post on this thread and I have a few questions can someone explain to me the gen 1 2 3 stuff and the group A stuff?

what would mine be its a 1990 st185

woul my best bet for a bit more power be getting a pod filter and exaust??

then go from there

cheers
Andrew
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without wanting to sound like an alarmist, read as much as you can, and then read some more. Then after you've read some more after that, do the maintenance as your first mod. After this, depending on what kind of mods you want, for the all round package i'd maybe try:

- 3" Dump Pipe
- Pod filter w/ COld air box
- Whiteline adjustable rear sway bar
- Boost controller
- FMIC

With those basics down I'd be inclined to go for decent coilovers and brakes but it comes down to what you want. There is basic framework and as long as you work within it, modifications are a reflection of you and your preferences.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah hahah sorry people one more questions

with the standard head unit is there anyway I can make it pick up australain frequencies well it does but only from like 70 through to 90 can't pick up things like triple j 107.7, maybe there is a chip I can change in the head unit or something?? don't feel like spending the cash for a new headunit as yet due to an alarm being installed on friday (500 bucks at northfield sounds a bit steep but yeah its pretty much the works for an alarm)

anyway guys thanks again

Andrew
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 03 August 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info

yeah I will be booking it in for an oil filter, oil change and timing belt change next week. don't feel like doing it myself took one look at the oil filter postion today and went no way fark that haha but yeah I will do all that stuff eventually.

I paid 9800 for mine should I be trying to insure it for more??

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 04 August 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gen 1,2 or 3 refers to the generation of the engine. If your car is stock then it has a gen 2.

The Group A thing - well long story. They are a limited edition GT4 bought out to qualify the celica for the Group A regulations in the WRC at the time. There were 5000 world wide, 150 in Aus.

The easiest way to tell if it is a Group A is that there will be a plaque above the gear shift. Being from Japan it might be an RC (rally championship) or CS (carlos Sainz) both are equivelant to group A.

http://www.celica-gt4.co.uk/ this site gives some good background info on the models. The technical section doesn't look entirely correct to me...

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 00:20]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 04 August 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you got the system 10 stereo - which at the time was top of the line from toyota

as for first thing - service! get the fluids changed + everything checked over to make sure its all fresh

After that well - where to start , is up to you and your budget , and what you want from the car
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 04 August 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah wondering if I should buy all the fluids myself like power steering, brake, clutch oil coolant then take it all in and get them to change it? also how can I source a timing belt for it
anyone had a service done on there Gt4 at a work shop how much am I looking at. It looks like an engine that is pretty time consuming to work on so alot of money I guess.

Yeah the sound system looks pretty sophisticated even for today haha, but yeah can't pick up 100 frequencies on the radio anyone know how to bypass this it only lets me receive from 70 through to 90

I want TRIPLE j 107.7

Cheers guys.

ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROME_GT4 wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 21:25

KYOTO wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 17:15

I totally agree. I bought my gt4 with warped disks so I replaced them with slotted rotors. If I could have afforded it I would have gone for a bigger brake, but slotted disks and Kevlar pads are working a dream. Cool

This problem used to shit me to tears, especially in summer. What it is, is heat soak. Where the intercooler absorbs the hear from the engine.

What probably happened is while you where waiting for your turn to run down the strip your hot engine was heating up the intercooler cos gt4 need constant flow to keep air temps low.

If your intake air is to hot boost drops to 5psi (for some reason I haven't found out yet) It could be the stock EMS retarding for engine safety (cos hot air sux) or just hot are doesn't compress very well.

To fix the problem of getting heat soak at a stand still is you need either a water to air intercooler (like the Group A and ST205), a front mount intercooler, a water spray kit on your existing top mount or on drag day get some dry ice to sit on the intercooler while you wait for your turn to run.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 August 2005 00:50]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe rome Smile

came outta left field a little but yeah - heatsoak for intercoolers suck , Frontmounts rock your worlkd - mines awesome Wink

heatsoak and warpage of discs is bad and makes things wobble which makes handling and braking not all that friendly
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 12:52

Yeah wondering if I should buy all the fluids myself like power steering, brake, clutch oil coolant then take it all in and get them to change it? also how can I source a timing belt for it
anyone had a service done on there Gt4 at a work shop how much am I looking at. It looks like an engine that is pretty time consuming to work on so alot of money I guess.

Yeah the sound system looks pretty sophisticated even for today haha, but yeah can't pick up 100 frequencies on the radio anyone know how to bypass this it only lets me receive from 70 through to 90

I want TRIPLE j 107.7

Cheers guys.

I think you have to change the head unit. I have never heard of people getting any kind of chip to change the band-width. Not to mention you would be hard pressed finding one for a 15 year old Toyota made head unit. Stuff like that just doesn't stay on production for long.

Servicing isn't that expensive. It just the problems that are found with the car while they are working on it. Check all the wheel bearings too. GT4's like to chew them up. Don't buy your own oils and coolants unless you know what to use. But your local mechanic will be able to get all of the good stuff cheaper then you anyway. Get a pro to look at it first, then you can start leaning how to do things yourself.

The 3SGTE looks complex, but a lot simpler then you think.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW rome - Do you want to borrow my frontmount jig ?

Were you still looking at doing the swap like wylidies with the stock bar ?
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Classique,

Yeah I know. I'm not big on posting in forums. I just can't keep up with all the conversations. I usually drop a line or two then I'll come back in a month.

But coming from a year and a half of gt4 ownership, I can see that I can share some insight here with the Toymods guys.
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So many options there mate.

Thinking about getting rid of the front support bar, create a custom one if need be. And have a large intercooler that you can only see half of.

I am looking for a Group A bar but not actively. (yeah I changed my mind)

Or I'm thinking about a PWR barrel water to air intercooler. But there's not a lot of room to put one of them in.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the frontmount mate - its a lot less hassle in the lng run - no need to wire up a pump or rely on a water source to cool stuff

i have the jig here that will pretty much suit your needs anyway - you just need to sort out what to do with the core setup

group A bar = bloody hard to find second hand - personaly id buy a new skin - and if you cant get the proper reo bars - make your own like you said , and go from there
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do people make fake Group A bars??

Or do you mean buy from Toyota?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only genuine toyota mate - thats it

least your getting the flexible plastic not easy to smash fiberglass
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I guess I'll just have to save my pennies.

there are so many little things that need to fixed first.
The list is so damn long
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, guys

Yeah Rome, when I was getting my alarm installed at Northfield I asked them about expanding the radio frequencies and yeah I had a fm band expander installed. So yeah seems you can get them for the 15 year old stereo. Just like to add its a bloody good 15 year old stereo blows me away. Someone said my Gt4 has the super 10 stereo install that was an extra back when the cars came out new. ( Cd stacker in the boot, amp under passenger seat and 8 speaker system) Anyone else have this system on there Gt4, just curious. its got toyota all over everything.

anyway loving the car its going awesome one question how many of you guys have 17's on yours do they look like a decent size wheel and also what whiteline package should I get for it?

Cheers

Andrew
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey you just answered a question for me.. See I have a system 10 install and I couldn't figure out what the wires where under the passenger seat. The previous own installed a new amp but in the boot.

White line stuff is great and 17's look sweet.. My car has "the works kit" from whiteline (plus some extra stuff that wasn't included) sitting on 17's. I got the Low Spring setup but it might be worth getting the super low gear. Either way make sure you get the rear sway bar in whatever package you get. Nothing like all wheel drive and next to no body roll. and the camber kit looks after the tires on top of giving you killer handling.

Whitline really know their stuff.

If you have the Ozzie delivered wide body you can get away with 18 x 8 which look like sex if you get the right design wheels.

How my car looks on 17's + whiteline gear.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ROME_GT4/ROMESig.jpg
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much did that whiteline "works kit" cost you plus installation? im looking into getting something done to my suspension when tax comes back.

my car is really low at the moment, its just had the springs done and there is very little body roll, very hard suspension indeed, but if u go over a dip in the road or something ... CLUNK!!! it sounds like the springs fullly compress and theres no suspension at all!!

the white line kit includes koni adjustables doesnt it? what shocks do they use?

also last but not least, what profile are those tyres on the 17" wheels?

they look like a 40 or smaller!

im gona be doing this to a st165 by the way.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Whiteline works kit plus front and rear strut tower braces cost me $1700 for the kit + $120/pc for the strut tower braces about a year ago.

The shocks in the works kit are Koni Sports (externally adjustable).

If your car has been bottoming out with a thud you probably don't have much of your bumpstops left if any at all... I bought urethane bumpstops from Noltec for about $70 a month or so ago to ensure mine don't fall apart again.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also don't go any lower than the springs included with the works kit... check out the stroke of the koni's with the works kit springs and you'll see why!
Even with that spring height I find my front bar scrapes on heaps of driveways so any lower would probably mean your front bar would scrape out on everything!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed toobs - i find mines the same - yours and mine should basically be identical

And youll find the works kits a little more expensive now - they were changing the price just after i bought mine ( which was about november 2003 if i remember right )

Still for what you get it stiill is quite cheap

Did you get the back and front tower braces toobs or just the front one ?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 August 2005 22:48]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 06 August 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep our setups should be about the same... I have front lower control arm bushes too though.

I got mine for $1700 just after they put up the price... lucky for me Repco went off an old price list Very Happy
And yes I've got both front and rear strut tower braces installed for extra rigidity!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wondering. My Gt4 is stock as and I hcan't hear any spool from the turbo is that normal? should I get a pod filter to change this problem?

Anyone know of a decent place to get mags looking to spend about 1000 for 17's and rubber fitted?

I'm in brissy

cheers
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Double post - stupid slow net connection

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2005 02:50]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gt4's are always quiet stock when it comes to " fullsic spooling noise "

due to the inlet design im sure - but its far from a problem - its a blessing

After my straight intake mod went on and still yet to finish( no afm , open pod that still needs to be boxed in ) you definantly can hear it spooling ..

quieter is better IMHO - you dont get the unwanted attention happening from street racer homo's or the police

As for 1000 fir 17's and tyres - unless you buy second hand , good luck - Decent rubber alone will cost you that much
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, only had the car for about 4 days now and the more power bug has already got me hehe but I'm going to go mags first then handling and lowering.

Must be able to get semi decent mags and tyres for 1000 to 1200 somewhere.

might check out ozzy tyres or something

cheers
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another Question. can u guys give me details on what stud pattern we have on our cars and what spacers I need I think I'm going to get second hand wheels.

Cheers
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5x100 PCD +38 offset ..

watch for spacers in your state - they may be illegal to have unless engineer approved ..

da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17" Rozza Shadow Chrome Rims EOI will these fit Gt4? they are multi stud I think

how do I put a photo on here
can't figure it out
farva
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey everyone i'm new to these forums, and i dont have a gt4 but ever since i bought me celica sx (1990 with 5sfe) ive had a thing for the gt4s.

theres an imported silver gt4 going on carsales at the moment for quite a good price and in (supposedly) good condition.

what i want to know is, as this car is going to be a daily driver for me, what is it like for parts and everything? i mean, if a hose shits itself will i be able to duck down to a dealer or something and grab another one, or will i be sitting on the phone for a couple days or getting one delivered from japan? does anyone know of some good places in brisbane (prefereably northside) where parts can be easily obtained?

also, is there a big difference in getting parts between an import or an aussie-delivered gt4?

i'm contemplating selling my sx and doing a rebuild on the gt4 as soon as i get it, provided i could get the parts for it. if the car turns out to be in good condition, maybe i'll put off the rebuild for a bit?

i would like to think i would have enough money left over to do some mods during the rebuild. i'd like to get it to a level of maybe low 14's maybe high 13's.

this situation is really bugging me at the moment, cause i cant decide if i am ready to take on a car which from most accounts seems like a bottemless pit for both time and money, especially considering i'd be going into debt for a bit to get it. has anyone had the luck of getting one in good nick? with not too much trouble?

thanks in advance for answering the noob questions Very Happy
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yeas.. well you hit the nail on the head. Bottomless pit of time and money. You are stating the same way as I did. I had a 1990 SX b4 my GT4..

My GT4 is a daily driver and I have to admit that things do brake more then any other car.. However parts aren’t that hard to get. The 3SGTE engine is quite common from Toyota. (well not that common) but the MR2 Turbo also used this engine so parts are more readily available.

I remember I blew a radiator hose once. Repco didn’t have a hose for my car but one from a Ford Lazer fitted perfectly.

The difference between an AUS delivered and a JDM… well I know the AUS came in a wide body. Some other little things are different but not much. I think yellow fog lights where a JDM thing as well. But after 15 years the yellow lenses crack up, fall apart and can’t be replaced.

To own and mod a GT4, you need patience. Cos your GT4 will know when pay day is. Every 2 weeks something seems to brake.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice questions!
Why the hell didn't I ask these 4 days ago haha.
Yeah I just bought my gt4 4 days ago of carsales.com from brisbane.

I know the silver one you are talking about I ended up getting the black one for 9800. I'm loving the car end hoping that at the two week mark she is still holding up. its only done 71 000 k's and everything is in top condition very well looked after car. So yeah I reackon mate go bight the bullet and take what comes with the car. if you love a car enough you should be able to put up with the things that go wrong that come with it.

my two cents.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O yeah

The people I got mine off ended up being japaneseautosales.com
very realible and helpful. very honest as well. They have another one up on there now wiht a few things to fix for compliance. I was lucky all mine needed was rego.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 07 August 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
farva wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 21:06

hey everyone i'm new to these forums, and i dont have a gt4 but ever since i bought me celica sx (1990 with 5sfe) ive had a thing for the gt4s.

theres an imported silver gt4 going on carsales at the moment for quite a good price and in (supposedly) good condition.

what i want to know is, as this car is going to be a daily driver for me, what is it like for parts and everything? i mean, if a hose shits itself will i be able to duck down to a dealer or something and grab another one, or will i be sitting on the phone for a couple days or getting one delivered from japan? does anyone know of some good places in brisbane (prefereably northside) where parts can be easily obtained?

also, is there a big difference in getting parts between an import or an aussie-delivered gt4?

i'm contemplating selling my sx and doing a rebuild on the gt4 as soon as i get it, provided i could get the parts for it. if the car turns out to be in good condition, maybe i'll put off the rebuild for a bit?

i would like to think i would have enough money left over to do some mods during the rebuild. i'd like to get it to a level of maybe low 14's maybe high 13's.

this situation is really bugging me at the moment, cause i cant decide if i am ready to take on a car which from most accounts seems like a bottemless pit for both time and money, especially considering i'd be going into debt for a bit to get it. has anyone had the luck of getting one in good nick? with not too much trouble?

thanks in advance for answering the noob questions Very Happy

it really depends man, are u looking at a 185 or 165?, i own a 165, its my daily driver and at the moment its also a delivery car...it racks up about 1000k's a week Sad..but i dont have any problems with random stuff breaking...all of my issues date back to my previous owner.maybe 165s are just more reliable than 185s...BUT..having said that...165 bits and pieces are damn near impossible to find, they were never sold here by toyota so u cant just duck down to toyota and pick up parts for them....in fact ive found u cant really go anywhere and pick up parts...u have to sort of hope that something from a 4th gen sx or later gt4 will fit (as i have just found with a front seatbelts to pass a safety check...i had to make my own seatbelts out of bits and pieces from an sx celica and my gtfour)...so just be prepared if your getting a 165 to hear "sorry mate we cant get that part" having said all that, you wont have these problems with 185s or 205s
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 16:22

17" Rozza Shadow Chrome Rims EOI will these fit Gt4? they are multi stud I think

how do I put a photo on here
can't figure it out

These are what I have on my car and they fit fine.
They are 5x100 + 5x114 multistuds.
Add 25mm H&R Trak Adjusters to make the rear wheels fill the guards completely.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well I've bought two in the last 12 months. The first one was a close to stock ST185, and the other a modified Group A (though not much of a group anymore given that the engine and gearbox are ST205) that was built by Justen Simpson.

The first one i bought from VIC for 11.5k. It came with basic pedders suspension setup (shocks and springs), 2.5 exhaust, dump pipe, hiflo, boost controller, a few other bits and pieces. The paintjob was in awesome nick. Not long after I bought it i had the clutch replaced (expensive!), radiator, radiator fan, water pump, timing belt, bearings, fixed a few leaks, and now the power steering pump is about to be replaced. So all up i believe it's had close to 3.5/4K put into it. I do need to take into account that this car is approaching 200,000k, and all things replace were due anyway.

The white group A has had almost everything done to it outside, engine (stock internals), gbox, turbo, brakes, fuel, ecu, suspension etc.. It hasnt really given me any dramas, but then again most bits are new, and I dont drive it everyday. I love this car Smile I believe (given it's setup) that Justen gave me an awesome deal. This is why I was pretty sure i would buy it the moment I saw it sitting on his drive way.

I think that if you find one that's been looked after, you'll still be spending money because it's a high cost maintenance car. What may seem like simple, is usually difficult and very expensive. Having said that, if you try and do most things on your own, you'll save a ton of money. This is something that I am trying to do and so far it's worked out well for me (lots of fun and a huge learning experience). I think the most important thing is that the engine itself is very solid, reliable, powerful, and has loads of potential if decide to mod it. Also, it's a sexy car, and original! (www.ihateskylines.com) Smile

Hope my rant helps.

Also, the burgundy one will be going up for sale soon (need $ to buy house), if you're interested drop me a pm.

carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had mine for a couple of months, its an st165 with 140,000kms.

not a single problem, except a sensor that should have been connected wasnt.

suspension is a bit iffy cause the previous owner changed it and made it to low for my likeing. but thats it,

also if shit goes wrong with ur car, thats just the excuse to replace it with performance parts Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 05:42]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - thats what i did - drivetrain went BOOM - replaced it with everything right the first time, which cost me an absolute packet but at least i know the engine and gearbox alone are as tough as nails..

youve seen the numbers its made - just a few niggles now like this grr starter motor thing but nearly everything from the previous owner has gone bar the shell or the interior
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They really are a loveable bottomless money pit though! In the 11 months I've had my car, I've replaced a bucketload of stuff, hell, the day I bought it the fucken knock sensor died!! It was then that I truley knew what I'd bought myself into, but I had gone into it with the mindset "It's an old sports car, gonna need money poured into it constantly!" and I have to remind myself that pretty often, especially as it has 220,000kms on it!

I kinda jumped into the purchase pretty fast, as it was a Group A and I got it fairly cheap, so was prepared from the start to have to spend money, but as frustrated as it makes me every time something breaks, it still manages to bring a smile to my face every morning when I go outside and see how sexy it is Smile And the looks and "WTF?" questions from people always make it worthwhile too Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 08 August 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
same here - hough it shits me to tears when its away like this - i love it just to jump in and know theres not much on the road that can go as well thru the hills - imnot into huge speeds - handlings my thing , and with the great ocean road at the back door - i might as well have something tha looks hot and turns like nothing else Wink
Pages (23): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:11:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010709047317505 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.