Toymods » General Car Talk » GT4 owners dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puffy wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 10:53

1gt48u wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 08:46

the last mods I'm doing shortly and then thats it

time to just enjoy it Very Happy

Good numbers and a great power curve.
Whats next on the mods list?

hey puffy

custom manifold, tial external wastegate, custom multi-coil
setup, and bigger front brakes.
It needs a retune as well

just about to take the car off the road to do it all then
thats it
the project is finished Very Happy

cheers Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2005 01:33]

Send a private message to this user    
ROME_GT4
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 00:17

When they go its generally the synchros that wear first which then leads to teeth chipping and shearing off. You have to be either flat shifting or have a clapped out one to start with to destroy one though.

That's how my gear box went.. Synchros wore out, then after that everything starts falling apart. At one stage it got to where I couldn't get the stick out of third, or into fourth.

So I had to pretty much red line 2nd then jump to 5th. Memories Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting curve troy - is yours still running the ct26 stock like mine ?

we basically have the same mods by the sounds of things - and near identical power outputs Smile
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gt48u wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 11:33

custom manifold, tial external wastegate, custom multi-coil
setup, and bigger front brakes.
It needs a retune as well

cheers Very Happy

So nothing major Laughing
What turbo will you be using?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just about to take the car off the road to do it all then
thats it the project is finished

Somehow i don't believe you Wink
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stu,

still using the ct26 - its going strong

puffy,

whatever turbo the wife lets me afford Rolling Eyes

kyoto,

married, 2 kids, and a german sheppard. The wife
said finish it Razz

cheers Very Happy
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe damn women Razz
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys is there any sort of trick to gettin the fuel filter out? I had a small go at it on the weekend and it was near impossible to get to any of the nuts Confused any pointers would be much appreciated Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there you go then - both troy and i have achieved 170 + awkw from the stock Aus spec ct26 Wink

Sorta pleasing that mines not the only one doing it Wink
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WantaTurbo wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 16:12

Hey guys is there any sort of trick to gettin the fuel filter out? I had a small go at it on the weekend and it was near impossible to get to any of the nuts Confused any pointers would be much appreciated Very Happy

It is indeed a bitch! Pull out your charcoal canister first, it will give you heaps more space. Then you should be able to attack the bolts. If you aren't a complete tool like I am, you'll realise that there is a nut head type thing on the filter so you can use a spanner to hold it still while you undo the lines Very Happy
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx thats what i was gonna do but even gettin to the bolt for it was lookin hard enough!! damn air con lines were in the way. But i didn't have a very long attempt so it prob just needs some fiddling and patience Very Happy
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, just a query..
why dont we have a GT4 owners club in oz?
not enough interest? not enough owners? hmm.
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Tue, 23 August 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a celica club, that covers the GT4's pretty much. Although I have noticed that it is mainly older models TA22's Etc.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Wed, 24 August 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.melbccr.com/profile/View.php?ID=574

hey guys, follow the link and vote for my car!!! thanks, hehehe
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She's up for sale guys Sad

I can't possibly find the time to give her the attention she needs now.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tooch wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 23:19

Nooooo!

Classique... want to go halves?
I have a spare engine, turbo, gearbox... actually shit I've got almost a whole spare car sitting in my garage already!
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That really blows Tooch. Oh well. Make sure the lucky sod you sell it to joins the board.

Meanwhile im entertaining the idea of rims, a PFC, TEINs, or a triple guage cluster. Have money, but logic is overriding impulse at this juncture!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all,

Get my car back tomorrow. Its been at the mechanic since wednesday getting a 3 inch exaust system fitted. Long time to wait for an exaust. I can't wait to see how much extra grunt it has from stock. Should make a decent change I think.

Anyway will let u guys know how it goes

Cheers

Andrew
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i could find a rebuilt, or at least low kms 3SGTE in Victoria in the next few days, I would probably keep her. I just don't really have the time to muck around chasing up rebuilds at the moment, its more the problem of not having a spare car!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tooch I can help you out with most of the parts you would ever need... I don't have an assembled Gen2 spare but I do have a partially disassembled Gen2 that can be fairly easily fixed... in fact I could probably reassemble it pretty quick if needed.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Thu, 25 August 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can do a straight swap with you too Tooch if you don't have the cash for a Gen2 atm.
I also have ST205 cams, pistons etc. if you wanted to do a bit of an upgrade at the same time Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
listen to teh toobs !

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tooch wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 23:19

How much?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its listed in the for sale section dude... 10k or nearest offer.
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got my car back with the new exaust sounds very nice and its a very decent job on the exaust too. nice big heatwraped dump. just need to get a canon eventually.

next mod will be air filter then up the boost to 10 pound and I think I will leave it there don't want to go pushing it to much other wise I will start breaking things.

Why are u selling your GT4? tooch is something wrong with it?

tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs: You have PM Smile

da foles: Engine is sick, blowing a heap of smoke. Basically, I don't think I have time to rebuild it at the moment, but people on here are being extremely helpful with their offers, so all may be good Smile
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just curious tooch

is your engine stock? has it had a rebuild before what kind of boost have u been running through it and how many k's just want to see how much life my engine has left in it
cheers

tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock, 212,xxx km's, not boosted, not rebuilt (as far as I know Smile )

Toobs has told me some things to test out, which I'll do on the weekend, may not be rings...
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tooch honestly, your either selling your car short or ripping yourself off. My opionion would be to get a good cross section of advice, evaulate your options and what you really want to do, then make a choice.

The way things are going it looks like youre going to come off second best. For the money you stand to lose by selling it you could invest it back into the car and get to keep it. FFS, a Grp A for circa 10K. That's almost insulting to the rest of GT4 owners, thats almost what a decent 165 goes for, or even an AVERAGE 185, but not a Grp A FFS (no offence)...

Talk to Matty from Toyospares. He will have some wise words for you.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Fri, 26 August 2005 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS: may be worth rocking down to the Dyno Day at Joes this morning. He might be able to offer you a professional opinion.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys, she is no longer for sale. My anger (and drunkenness Smile ) have subsided and I'm now weighing up the options. I am going to check some things out when I get home today, as Toobs has given me some reasons to believe it may be the turbo that's shagged. I'll let you know how I go.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My findings so far:

-The turbo has a fair bit of play from side to side, i.e. the blades probably could scrape the housing.
-There is little to no oil in the intercooler, or the turbo exit.
-The inside of the intake pipe, where the PCV line joins up, is pretty slick with oil.
-If I rev the car with the pcv hose off, some light mist/smoke comes out, this is while the exhaust is smoking a fair bit.

The car also has a massive oil leak which I believe could be the cam cover seals, I know they were leaking but I think they have just gotten a lot worse, there is oil all over the front (pulley side) and back (intake manifold) sides of the engine. I don't believe this has anything to do with the current smoke problem.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Just curious about the legalities of aftermarket ECU's? cause that is sorta the next step for me on the mod route and can't seem to find an answer as to whether they are legal or not!

Also i have heard of a few 185s with retuned factory ecu's...does anyone know where this is done and any comments on how good/bad it is??

Regards Nathan
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you will find most people that get their factory ECU's chipped do it to avoid problems with the law.
It is my understanding that you can only get an aftermarket programmable ECU engineered if it can (and is) locked and it passes the pollution test.

Have a chat to an engineer though because I'm sure there are many more factors involved regarding the sensors and operation of the ECU which need to be addressed.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roundy - ATS in the US are able to do this. There is also some G-Force replcement chip but these are both not the best. Anything is legal if you have it engineered and within reason most things are insurable with the right policy.

Tooch...fuckin' aye man!

Worst case scenario you either re-build or just get a replacement front cut. For the price you were considering letting No. 53 go for it makes financial sense to do this than incur the loss (depending on how much u paid of course). Speak to a professional before you make the final decision though.

esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Does anybody know what the load rating has to be for tyres for an ST185? I am wanting to get tyres priced, but havn't got the car yet.
Also what types of tyres/wheels does everydy haveon their st185's?
Just want to get an idea if I should get some bigger rims rather than stockies.

BTW How do I tell if a blow off valve is vented or not?
I'm guessing it has something to do with the pssst noise, and maybe if the thing has that trumpet looking release thing (highly technical I know) The one on the car i'm looking at has a small hose that seems to feed back somewhere, could be the intake but i'm not sure. It also has been welded onto the intercooler. How much of a pain will this be to remove?
Thanks
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sat, 27 August 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esk: BOV's always have a small vacuum line that connects usually around the intake manifold, if it has a trumpet, more than likely its an atmospheric venting BOV. If it also has another hose, usually on the opposite side to the trumpet, then its probably a hybrid, i.e. half plum back.
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought so.
How do I remove the thing?
Or sould I get a plumback oneand replace it?
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it seems I unintentionally fixed the problem some how today! In amongst pulling shit apart to try and gain some kind of insight into what was wrong, I was changing all the pain in the arse things like cam cover gasket, spark plugs, leads, and while I had the throttle body and everything off, I gave it all a good clean with throttle body cleaner. Scrubbed off a lot of carbon and crap, cleaned out the PCV's, the little EGR port, and sprayed a whole heap of the stuff into the intake manifold, as it was full of carbon.

After starting the car and almost asphyxiating from the toxic smoke that the throttle body cleaner causes, and the small amount of oil that still burned off, I took the car for a really good 15-20 minute full boost thrash. And there was no more smoke! Even letting it sit idle for a while after that, and giving it revs every now and then, still nothing.

So let's just see if it lasts!
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to hear that man, See how easily it could be fixed..You would of been spewin if you found out that after your sold her!!

But either way, Start saving for a engine rebuild and a brand new spankin turbo replacement, no doubt you will need it sooner than later..

Cool
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well today we had a bit of a little cruise around Samford valley, I took some pics, they are towards the end of the page:

http://www.ozcelica.com/mainforum/index.php?showto pic=2092&st=120

Tell me what you guys think..

The white GT4 is mine, The black is da_foles and the raven black 7th gen is Ozzys.

Cheers

Very Happy
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Sun, 28 August 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esk34 wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 02:45

Hey,
Does anybody know what the load rating has to be for tyres for an ST185? I am wanting to get tyres priced, but havn't got the car yet.
Also what types of tyres/wheels does everydy haveon their st185's?
Just want to get an idea if I should get some bigger rims rather than stockies.

BTW How do I tell if a blow off valve is vented or not?
I'm guessing it has something to do with the pssst noise, and maybe if the thing has that trumpet looking release thing (highly technical I know) The one on the car i'm looking at has a small hose that seems to feed back somewhere, could be the intake but i'm not sure. It also has been welded onto the intercooler. How much of a pain will this be to remove?
Thanks

Hey mate not sure about the load rating for the tyres but price wise standard gt4 tyres will be around 100 a tyre thats for 205/55/R15 and about 180-200 for tyres for 215/40/R17 so basically u want pretty wheels prepare to pay the price for tyres Wink
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice cruise pics guys! Hey da_foles how much performance differences u notice with dump pipe and exhuast system? u get highflow cat too? I will be doin this eventually so just food for thought for me hehe
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, sorry if this is a total n00b question.

Is the water cooling on the turbo on the Group-As disconnected from the factory?

On the rally car in Tassie the ports are there, just blanked off, & the water lines have nipples fitted but blanked too! Looks factory.

weird
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you say Group A Im thinking ST185. The only thing that is deactivate from factory are the water sprays for the heat exchanger on the 185's and the antilag on the group a 205's.

All turbo water lines should be connected. I have a feeling as this was a rally car you may of been looking at the heater lines. rally cars normally remove the heater components for weight reduction.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, quick question

does anyone know of a place to get driveshafts for our cars (specially the front left) cause so far the only things i have tunred up is send it away to reco, and a week off the road doesn't really suit me atm.

Regards Nathan
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The load rating on the ST185 tyres from factory are 88 but good bloody luck finding 88 load rating if you've got 17x7" rims... 87 is as good as you get!
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate about the dump. Yes I have felt a difference in the power. I can now hear the turbo spool sounds nice on boost. I did get a hiflow cat as well. I know once I install a pod filter and try do the straight intake mod i should get a heap more power out of this exaust it should be pretty decent.

But yeah very worthwhile mod.

Andrew
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, is any1 up for a gt4 cruise in melbourne soon? would be awsome having a bunch of gt4's cruising round the streets, get some photos, have a bite to eat, check out each others rides and meet the drivers.

i know this should be in cruise section for victoria, but i wana get all the gt4 drivers attention!!!

how bout september 10th after the bennica dyno day?
if we have interest we will start a thread in the cruise section so we dont clog our own thread up.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

When you say Group A Im thinking ST185. The only thing that is deactivate from factory are the water sprays for the heat exchanger on the 185's and the antilag on the group a 205's.

205WRCs also had a water injection feed to the manifold via a "cold start injector" but this was also disconnected, along with the radiator spray and bang bang system. The pinouts are on the 205 ECU for all this stuff so in theory all you need is some switches and water feeds.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puffy wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 10:37

All turbo water lines should be connected. I have a feeling as this was a rally car you may of been looking at the heater lines. rally cars normally remove the heater components for weight reduction.

hey man they are definitely not the heater ports.

Almost curtain that the 2 blocked nipples are in the supply & return line to the intercooler! If that's right, I would take a guess that they have been disconnected so that the intercooler water temperature would be lower without the added heat from the turbo. Reduced turbo life would be what's sacrificed. I would probably go for turbo life over the few extra kw gained with the temp difference though? We could also setup a timer on the intercooler waterpump so that it keeps running after shutting the motor off to cool the turbo down & stop heat soak into the bearings.
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know what common oil leaks occur on the 3SGTE? I've got a pretty bad one from I think the firewall side of my engine. Kinda drips all down the engine and all over the place!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a driveshaft seal?
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah it looks more like engine oil..although it is all over the driveshaft area! I should check my gearbox oil level too. But pretty certain its engine oil
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone buy these! Rob, buy them for your rally GT4!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OZ-racing-15-x-7-Subaru-gt4 -toyota-rally-style_W0QQitemZ7995288668QQcategoryZ 6782QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f*ck i am tempted.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one problem - they are only 15's

makes brake upgrades a bit limited
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would probably buy them if they were 17's.

On another note, (which has probably been answered already), if I bought an Aussie dump pipe to replace the stupid stock one + cat, would my system be legal with only 1 cat? I have a 3" exhaust currently, which also has 3" piping between the 2 stock cats, I would probably replace the 2nd cat with a high flow.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: GT4 owners dedicated thread Mon, 29 August 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lol yeah i was wondering about that cat issue too.
mine is being fitted on wednesday. Smile
Pages (23): [ «  <  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Car Insurance am teh winner Just Car > all
Next Topic:wolf 3d V4....how much are they?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:23:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093801021575928 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.