Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
icon4.gif  P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Mon, 06 June 2005 23:45 Go to next message
first of all Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

and second of all Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

As of the 11th July 2005 P1 and P2 license holders will be banned from driving turbocharged, supercharged, v8 and 'engine modified' vehicles. An engine swap apparently also counts as an engine modification and thus is also disallowed.

Now they can't make you sell you car i don't suppose. but they sure as hell can make you not drive it.

As a P1 license holder myself this means my plans to engine swap my sprinter are now on hold.... looks like the 4ac is gonna have to last me much longer than i thought...

... oh well.. sounds to me like my drivetrain is about to get preeetty crazy Razz

but seriously does anyone know anything more about this? i mean damn... i feel sorry for all the toymodders that fall into this catagory. I know it comes for a legit reason... what else can i say.. sorry guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Mon, 06 June 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually no you can do what ever the hell you like, it only applies to ppl who get their p's after 1 July 2005 it is not retrospective legislation as far as i'm aware. This means its gonna be a bitch to enforce cos they will have to pull every p-plater over in a turbo or modded car to check when they got their license. Very Happy
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Mon, 06 June 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a good thing to me
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Mon, 06 June 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CHANGES will not apply to current P-plate licence holders unless they are disqualified for an offence after July 11; and
important part
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectio nid=1258&storyid=3244811
the full story Very Happy
pLaYa_OnE
Regular

February 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Mon, 06 June 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was looking for that link. i was wondering how they were gonna do things in retrospect. good to know i'm part of a dying generation. no pun intended.
sagluren
Regular

May 2005

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well yes come to sa and you can drive what you like and there is no p1 p2 shit here.

Defect.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit better hurry and get mine Embarassed
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat the fuk, thats the biggest load of crap Evil or Very Mad
so i have 1 point left and now i own a turbo celica, so if i lose my license then i cant drive my car again when i get my license back ???
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and not a single iota about assisting young drivers to gain skills
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm the thing i don't get is cars like integra type r clio sport, s2000, for the riches BMW m3 Porsche 911 would still be accesible in a na stock form these cars are still pretty darn quick.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh but they wouldnt wanna have a rule that impacted greatly on the rich now but would they Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what about turbo diesel, i mean the are slugs but we still can't drive em lol. I think they should do the same as vic and just say nothin over 125kw per tonne. Oh and apparently its only for city folk, kids in the country can have whatever they like.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really ????
only city kids ??? u serious how did u hear that ? i live in coffs harbour....
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeh and it says that turbo diesel and supercharged diesel is fine.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exemptions will apply where powerful vehicles are required for genuine employment purposes, and where eight-cylinder 4WD vehicles are required by rural drivers;
i reckon they'd be able to say they need a v8 ute for the farm.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh true but i cant say i need a turbo celica, for drivin around coffs harbour in Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^^
tell em u need it cuz u live up a big hill Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorrs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 11:58

yeh true but i cant say i need a turbo celica, for drivin around coffs harbour in Razz

wow, you might have to drive... Shocked shock horror Shocked SENSIBLY then?? geez, that'd suck for all those around you Razz
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 12:14

Jorrs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 11:58

wow, you might have to drive... Shocked shock horror Shocked SENSIBLY then?? geez, that'd suck for all those around you Razz

LOL. It aint cool unless you take off hard off every single traffic light dude. But the pigz... they are just jealous and wanna defect us all...

heh
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no im talkin bout if ONE of my P plates falls of my car and i get pulled over then thats my license.... Confused
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which in turn is my car gone.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. Once again they fail to see where the real problems are. Sad
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe i'd been saving up since i was in primary school and bought my ten second rx3 just after my 18th birthday... looks like nobody will be able to do that ever again... Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, that really sucks for you NSW guys. Better hurry up and get your opens!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hooray!!
*thumbs up*
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bout bloody time!! Too bad they arent going to blanket all current p platers aswell..In Melbourne they have a good idea but they dont bloody police it and i think after the initial implementation of this it will probably be the same.As for you P platers at the moment get ready for even more hassles from the cops in the next 6 months as they try and weed out the new p platers from the rest..

Lets hope they keep their word on the tougher driving tests and better education aswell but at the end of the day being young and driving is always a deadly combination..
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that it's all wrong. They are still getting it the wrong way around. We need the driver skills program before going and banning fast/powerful cars. I cannot see it solving anything (except for getting rid of all the tryhards in Paramatta Smile ) If someone is going to be stupid enough to go 120km down a 50 street and kill himself, he is going to do it in whatever car he is driving.

And no i am not a P plater... Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this has been discussed so many times.

driver skills is not the problem.

changing driver attitude is the issue here.

a dickhead and a dickhead with skills is one and the same.

moreso driver training will make a dickhead even more confident to do dickhead acts behind his dickhead wheel.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree. But we cannot keep stupidity off the streets. But at least if someone is a skilled idiot, they are less likely to crash than an unskilled idiot.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 13:29

at the end of the day being young and driving is always a deadly combination..

So's being old and driving.

But you don't see them doing anything about that.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a car that has been imported or modded to jspec standards?
also whats stopping you from doing invisible NA mods?
mmm port polish hi compression pistons and a bigger cam in a 4ac Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 04:35]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well it could be worse, i do feel sorry for people that will get their Ps after me. there is alot of stuff in there including something abotu the changing of positions of P plates. But the RTA hasn't posted all the details of it yet. Great to see the Telegraph giving themselves a giant pat on the back for single-handedly making our roads safter. Now to wait untill the statistics don't change
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was freaking out when I heard about it on the radio this morning, was worrying that I would have to sell my car! Then found out the turbo thing only applies to P1 (red P plate) drivers, and doesn't apply to existing P plate drivers. I get off my P's in November.
It's a good idea what they have done though, but they should have made it 120kw per tonne, rather than just a blanket ban. What about those turbo Saabs that couldn't pull the skin off a custard?
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay for victoria Smile
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does it just apply to red ps or is it red and green ps ??
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorrs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 12:23

no im talkin bout if ONE of my P plates falls of my car and i get pulled over then thats my license.... Confused

put them into the corner of your windows...easy Very Happy

Im not too fussed about this new legislation thing, makes sense but also misses part of the issue about educating P platers. They should make them do a course where they show the results of stupidity and scare the fuck out of newbies Evil or Very Mad

Going on to my 2nd year of greens P's Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make that bottom left hand corner not allowed to be on the right hand side don't ask me why Very Happy
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:15

Did you forget about the retest the old farts have to do every few years once they are past a certain age.

I agree that it should have been a kw/tonne ratio rather than what they've come up with. But I'm glad to see there will be a slow reduction in full sick P platers on the road (I have no beef with regular P platers).
I can't count the times I have had a P plater do something silly around me to show off and nearly come undone. One motorbike dude did come undone and it was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen, useless f*ck.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is this red platers or green p platers ???? or both ??
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:57

Merudo wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:15

Did you forget about the retest the old farts have to do every few years once they are past a certain age.

To be honest, yeah, i did forget about that. But the amount of old people that still CAUSE accidents, not neccessarily be INVOLVED in them, is pretty high, yet there's no media furore over it.... I guess its just not so hookable... the majority of australia's population being older means stories putting down the "young whippersnappers" are more popular.

We once watched this old lady trying to parallel park

(i dont think i even need to continue, but I will)

she pulls up, reverses back, steers not enough, bang, into the car behind her. Moves forward, tries again, bang, into the car again. then just zooms off.

We were in traffic at the time that was stopped at lights and I couldnt stop laughing

At the same time, couldnt help but feel sorry for the person with a scratched front bar on their car because of some inconsiderate, unskilled, half-blind bat that shouldnt be behind the wheel of her car!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:07

this has been discussed so many times.

driver skills is not the problem.

changing driver attitude is the issue here.

a dickhead and a dickhead with skills is one and the same.

moreso driver training will make a dickhead even more confident to do dickhead acts behind his dickhead wheel.

kkinda have to disagree wid ya there rob (again it seems hehe)

part of driver skills course is to teach a proper respect for a car and it's limitations. You have seen what these courses are like yeah? They don't leave you with the same attitude after losing it all day... I dunno

I imagine many that go into these courses come out with a better respect for the limitations of a vehicle and greater ability to avoid life-threatening situations. Not all, but a good number I guess...

Ignorance is more often a killer than knowledge I think.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with these new laws to a point...
With a high performance car it is very easy to get yourself into a sticky situation... an unexperienced driver is less likely to be experienced enough to be able to get out of these situations.

As usual the changes have been oversimplified by generalising "V8
s", "modified engines" etc. but after so many years we have come to expect this from the government.
Victoria's power to weight ratio is probably more sensible.

Ideally to improve the skills of our young drivers I think the RTA should require learners to drive a number of different vehicles (e.g. 4WD, FF, FR, MR, AWD) in varying regions (i.e. City, Suburban, Rural, Country) as most young drivers these days learn to drive in a well maintained instructors car (Normally FF)in a suburban setting.

It is when a young driver gets behind the wheel of a type of car they have never driven before or drive in a different region that accidents happen... especially if the car is powerful.

Even experienced drivers can come unstuck when they are put in different vehicles / regions.

When I learnt to drive I drove a long list of vehicles in Country, Rural & Suburban regions.
Some of these vehicles include:
-XR8 Modified (Auto)
-HSV Clubsport (Auto)
-Nissan Patrol (Manual)[poorly maintained]
-XR6 Modified(Manual)
-AE92 Corolla (Manual)
-Hilux 4WD Ute (Manual) [poorly maintained]
-Mazda 121 (Manual)
So I was lucky enough to have been given a good range of driving experiences so I knew not to do things like hit the brakes hard when turning on a dirt road... I think I am a better driver because of this.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not saying driver training is bad, im all for the training, let it be on record that im not p00 p00ing teh training.

my point is dickheads are gonna be dickheads it doesnt matter how much training they have had. this is because they have the wrong attitude and lack of respect.

alas, changing someones attitudes is far harder to legislate, so they just restrict people instead, its a universal thing really it could be said about many other laws.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats true i learnt to drive a couple of lessons in our 1990 Pajero (manual), 1997 4cyl Camry Manual, 2002 Camry Touring manual. Was a bit of a shock when driving the rona for the first time in the wet. I think driving it has taught me a lot, and have also scared me enough to mature in my driving style. Not even provoking it befor i fixed the suspension it was dangerous in the wet if you weren't always on top of it and concentrating extremely well.
For this it has made me a better driver aware of varying road conditions and the speeds they should be taken at. Take the drive to wakefield park two weeks ago, blowing a gail i tentively sit on 100kmph, sometime less, and hold my lane, whilst older so called more experinced drivers fly past at up to 130kmph barely holding their lanes and often having to make sudden movement to correct an otherwise close and hairy call.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:40

barely holding their lanes and often having to make sudden movement to correct

fart and the p00 car knows it, and i have to correct it.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My gripe is that with this law they target the innocent as well as the guilty. My wife has a South African license and she will most probably have to go through the whole L's, P's etc to get her full license. My car is a turbo and modified. So if she is ever going to learn, we need a new car. She would never be a idiotic driver, and yet she is penalised. Just a bit to much generalisation to me. Same with the types of car... Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and an advanced driver training course i did made me realise how shit the brakes are on the rona, kinda scary actually. It was great to do, good education and also good to experience mock emrgency situations in a safe environment, ie lock ups etc. Not that i lock it up, only once when the guy told me too come in faster and just hammer the brakes in the wet, to see if i could notice when the brakes lock up. I detected pretty much straight away and stopped a lot earlier. Funny how those non abs commodores that stopped so much quicker in the dry, couldn't come near the rona in the wet. Driver skill my friend is very essential.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:44

My gripe is that with this law they target the innocent as well as the guilty. My wife has a South African license and she will most probably have to go through the whole L's, P's etc to get her full license. My car is a turbo and modified. So if she is ever going to learn, we need a new car. She would never be a idiotic driver, and yet she is penalised. Just a bit to much generalisation to me. Same with the types of car... Sad

I thought people immigrating could get their full license in Australia pretty easily... knowledge test and you're on your way.
Or is that only for a selected group of countries?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

How can they do that to people! And think of my sister, whom I am teaching to drive... when she gets my p's she can't borrow my car, and can't afford her own.

dang...

edit: and rob.. yeah that's cool just checking

and 'rona.. what course did you do dude? I need to do one my attitude stinks lol

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 05:50]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eastern creek days on their skid pan run by the ARDC just basic level one course 190 bucks for p-platers and 220 for anyone else hahahhaa. P-platers can't do the level 2 course must have a full license.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man that's a good price! they still doing these?

sorry a bit OT
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i'll get you a link to the site in a sec
Very Happy
http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/driver_traini ng.htm
there you go

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 05:59]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Copied from RTA and Vicroads websites.
RTA for the majority... Vicroads apparently looks after the list of "Recognised countries"

Quote:

Permanent visa holders and New Zealand citizens
What do I need to do?

If your licence is written in English:
Go to an RTA motor registry and present your licence.

If your licence is not written in English, provide:
Your licence and an official translation from either the Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW or the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.
A letter from a relevant consulate or diplomatic office where extra licence information is required. Extra information required is usually the first issue date of the licence or the type of vehicle authorised to be driven. Some overseas licences only show a code number or letter for the vehicle types authorised. The registry needs to know what the code means and also the first issue date.

You must also:
Provide proof of your NSW address.
Prove your identity.
Pass an eyesight test.

Recognised countries
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Croatia
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
Netherlands (Holland)
Norway
Portugal
Singapore
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
UK
USA

However, if you are not from a recognised country or from an external territory of a recognised country, you will need to complete a knowledge test of the road law, a hazard perception test as well as a driving test.

Go here for the full thing:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/newtonsw/inter national_drivers.html
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrnav.nsf/chil ddocs/-739177595C55F0B5CA256EC900144E12-9A3539C272 586DF6CA256EC900144E13-2634F0D0D036D98ACA256EC9001 44E4D-3F331D7BC891EAC5CA256B7600145D2C?open
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:49

I thought people immigrating could get their full license in Australia pretty easily... knowledge test and you're on your way.
Or is that only for a selected group of countries?

It's a long story. Basically, people from South Africa usually can get their license straight up, however my wife's purse got stolen, and her license was in it. Trying to get a replacement through the bueracracy (sp?) of South Africa is basically impossible. We have been trying for about 12 months now. Sad
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:33

I agree with these new laws to a point...
With a high performance car it is very easy to get yourself into a sticky situation... an unexperienced driver is less likely to be experienced enough to be able to get out of these situations.

As usual the changes have been oversimplified by generalising "V8
s", "modified engines" etc. but after so many years we have come to expect this from the government.
Victoria's power to weight ratio is probably more sensible.

Ideally to improve the skills of our young drivers I think the RTA should require learners to drive a number of different vehicles (e.g. 4WD, FF, FR, MR, AWD) in varying regions (i.e. City, Suburban, Rural, Country) as most young drivers these days learn to drive in a well maintained instructors car (Normally FF)in a suburban setting.

It is when a young driver gets behind the wheel of a type of car they have never driven before or drive in a different region that accidents happen... especially if the car is powerful.

Even experienced drivers can come unstuck when they are put in different vehicles / regions.

When I learnt to drive I drove a long list of vehicles in Country, Rural & Suburban regions.
Some of these vehicles include:
-XR8 Modified (Auto)
-HSV Clubsport (Auto)
-Nissan Patrol (Manual)[poorly maintained]
-XR6 Modified(Manual)
-AE92 Corolla (Manual)
-Hilux 4WD Ute (Manual) [poorly maintained]
-Mazda 121 (Manual)
So I was lucky enough to have been given a good range of driving experiences so I knew not to do things like hit the brakes hard when turning on a dirt road... I think I am a better driver because of this.

driving a variety of cars would be great education. but think of the practicality. every single person who wants to get license would have to drive 4-5 different types of cars and also in different areas. i wonder how much is it gonna cost to get a license. driving sckool would have to buy more cars and it will end up the consumers burden. that would be ideal but too much work.

also when u go for mountain runs, with ur cup holder ready, new tyres, ready to take on the touge and what do u find, a L plater blocking our way!!!

as for the south african license, if shes a S.A citizen, i think she could try getting an international license frm s.africa. renew it yearly at the embassy.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:57

yep i'll get you a link to the site in a sec
Very Happy
http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/driver_traini ng.htm
there you go

cool man thanks!

you are not an ARDC (sp?) member are you by any chance hehe
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, but i'm a toymods member not that that helps lol. Hmmm another 30 bucks off you stinge, it's already 100+ dollars cheaper than any other course.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She has an international drivers license. The RTA wont accept that one. Sad Believe me, we have tried just about everything. She REALLY doesnt want to have to go through the whole thing.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 06:26]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha DOH! read me like a book Very Happy
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kinda off topic, but....

Canberra's death toll has already past last years total in under 6 months.

I'de like to know how many accidents involved P platers or modified cars. I think ppl are just getting careless.
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vid of burning golf GTI
Next Topic:EOI ????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:22:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089399814605713 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.