Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm glad i'm in QLD and dont have to wear P's on my car Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its gonna fuck over super cheap and repco's sales of cannons, yay no more try hard ricers with pulsars and milo tins woot. Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 09:47

actually no you can do what ever the hell you like, it only applies to ppl who get their p's after 1 July 2005 it is not retrospective legislation as far as i'm aware. This means its gonna be a bitch to enforce cos they will have to pull every p-plater over in a turbo or modded car to check when they got their license. Very Happy

They just wont enforce it untill it's been X years since the law came in.

You'll only get done for it if you're pulled over for another reason for the next... what... 3 years? Untill everyone has gotten their licence after that date.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOUNDS LIKE BULLSHIT ONCE AGAIN...

My car has a "modified engine" but its Insured and registered ENTIRELY under my name, If I get in trouble, its going to court...
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another revenue raiser from nsw
GREAT =\

picture how many infringements to p plate drivers
a shit load
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 13:10

Hmmm. Once again they fail to see where the real problems are. Sad

seconded

once again our politicians introduce ineffective and discriminatry legislation that effects us all who have a passion towards automobiles and enhancing them
you dont see them banning custom quilts or the import of hand crafted quilts and rugs from overseas

when it is election time remember the two parties that have allowed this go thru laboour and liberal/nationals and vote effectivelly showing your discust with their discrimination towards a scene with over 4 thousand clubs and multiple business aimed at accomodiating towards their desires while we are heading into a recession

or even better, if your on your L P1 P2 plates or own a c ustomised car why not organise a shutdown of your local city in protest

if anyone is interested let me know as im seriously fed up with this crap and the only thing politicians listen to is the numbers and power of public protest
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad This sucks. Because of all the wankers who can't drive, i have to suffer, eat shit to all you whom made these laws come about.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 16:25

She has an international drivers license. The RTA wont accept that one. Sad Believe me, we have tried just about everything. She REALLY doesnt want to have to go through the whole thing.

two avenues that you might not of thought of or tried...
try gettign it done in a different branch or with the manager fo teh branch as some are less knowlegable than others

discuss this with your local state member of parliment
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok this has been discussed many times before so I will make this my last post on the subject...

To all the people who think this is a bad idea,OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES!!! Seriously use a bit of logic and common sense. Being able to get your licence today and then jump into a R32 GTR skyline or equivelent is just fukking stupid! As for the argument that a dickhead driver will always be a dickhead driver, BULLSHIT, the problem lies in the fact when your young you arent MATURE enough to think of the consequenses of driving like a dickhead and this immaturity isnt reflected to that scale within any other driving demographic..

I did the course when I was 19, that showed you footage of dead people,paraplegics talking about the time they wiped themselves out and fucked up their life and families talking about loosing their loved ones. It changed me for about 6 months and then I went back to occasionally carving up traffic, getting broad and while at a lesser extent being a hoon. What am I getting at? Well I knew the dangers,I knew my licence was on the line next time I did somthing stupid but I wasnt MATURE enough to drive like a respectable road user. Unfortunately it is this exact reason that education will only have so much of an effect and it is absolutely necessary to limit inexperienced IMMATURE drivers in every way possible.

Everyone else who is unfortunately effected by this indirectly ie: Mrs not being able to drive your car,TOO FUCKING BAD! what do you want them to do create an individual exemtion for every person out there? These laws have to be blanket to avoid creating an even bigger backlog of red tape.

I welcome this change and as I said before would have prefered it to have affected all P platers.

86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha NSW Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't like it when the good suffer because of the bad
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so my understanding of it, is so 8 cyls car so in theory you could drive a viper, mercelagio or even a cadalic sixteen for some examples? or is it 8 cyl and up? Confused
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

THE motorists of NSW have scored a stunning people's victory, with tough new P-plate laws to stop the carnage caused by young drivers.

Seriously, just read that to yourself. I am continually amazed by the ability of the media to spin complete BULLSH*T that is cerimoniously swallowed by the public.

Also, with no offence whatsoever intended to the families of road crash victims, are grieving relatives really the greatest ambassadors of legislation change? Of course they are going to look for a scapegoat, something to explain the loss of their child/relative.

Regardless of what rules eventually come to QLD, I'll continue to improve my driving skills beyond the general standard and enjoy my soon-to-be-modified car.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 10:36]

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon the system should be like this

L's (to pass)

Knowlage and pratical test (sit in a car. have an examiner say brake, clutch hand brake horn ect) ud be surprised how many ppl jsut dont know!

P's (to pass)
before you can complete your test you must be complete the following course
http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/driver_traini ng.htm
and pass competnecies in the course that focus on ability and attitude.

would be a hell of a alot better

and 4dadrift while i agree with you i dont think many teenagers have lost their lives after loosing control of their custome imported quilt while watching tv Laughing but i see wat your getting at
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulw85 wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 20:19

ok, so my understanding of it, is so 8 cyls car so in theory you could drive a viper, mercelagio or even a cadalic sixteen for some examples? or is it 8 cyl and up? Confused

im pretty sure it would be 8 and up Laughing
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 16:14

driving a variety of cars would be great education. but think of the practicality. every single person who wants to get license would have to drive 4-5 different types of cars and also in different areas. i wonder how much is it gonna cost to get a license. driving sckool would have to buy more cars and it will end up the consumers burden. that would be ideal but too much work.

I reckon thats a big part of the problem too.
Parents don't seem to take responsibility for teaching their kids to drive anymore... they just send them off to a driving school.

Driving schools don't teach kids how to drive they teach kids how to pass a test.
My old man started teaching me to drive before I could even reach the pedals!

Parents then let their kids buy expensive performance cars while they are on their p's (or buy them for them) and then wonder why they crashed and died.
Then they have the hide to write to the daily telegraph to complain!!!
INSANITY!
Blame the parents I say.

My Idea...
If a <18 year old kid gets a ticket take the points off the kids AND their parents licenses... especially considering under 18's are not considered legally adult.
This would make the parents ensure the kids were properly trained in the road rules!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 15:44

My gripe is that with this law they target the innocent as well as the guilty. My wife has a South African license and she will most probably have to go through the whole L's, P's etc to get her full license. My car is a turbo and modified. So if she is ever going to learn, we need a new car. She would never be a idiotic driver, and yet she is penalised. Just a bit to much generalisation to me. Same with the types of car... Sad

There are exceptions I believe. For example if your family only has one car then the P plater is allowed to drive it as well. Not all families can afford a second car.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 23:33

My Idea...
If a <18 year old kid gets a ticket take the points off the kids AND their parents licenses... especially considering under 18's are not considered legally adult.
This would make the parents ensure the kids were properly trained in the road rules!

That won't work Toobs. It sounds like a good idea but what happens when a 17 year old has been working, buy their own car and pay for their own lessons and their parents don't want them to drive. It's out of the parents' control and it would be unfair to disadvantage them because of what their child does.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im happy to hear this .. p platers cause death and sorrow for familys with their inconsiderate driving

for example :
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=70946&prevloaded=1&rid=5320&S=1b197f 543800a4e9acc82e506c03ee90&rev=&reveal=&am p;start=0&count=10
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm starting to think they have a real point.
We know P plater fatalaties have increased because there are more P platers out there than ever (3 years as opposed to just 1) but the power of cars has increased alot as well. I mean in 87 your standard corolla was 67kw (somewhere around there). Today your standard corolla has a 100kw engine and we have the 'Sportivo' branded Corollas and Camrys which are predominantly family passenger cars.
Maybe I didn't pay attention earlier but I don't seem to remember too many fatalities. This is either because not as many fatalaties occurred or the media didn't take an interest and failed to report them. Perhaps someone older can fill me in?
Logically however:

• The faster you drive
  • The less control you have
  • The more likely you are to lose control and have an accident

With the progession of cars being more powerful it is easier than ever to increase speeds. Dickheads will be dickheads while they're young. You can't force people to change their attitudes which is why the only option is to restrict them. By restricting what car they are in you at least lower the potential danger. A dickhead in a Twin Turbo Supra has a far greater potential to cause damage than the same dickhead in a 4ac Corolla.

As for everyone saying "NOO! I HAVE TO SELL MY CAR!", no you don't. Current P platers are not subject to the restrictons.

To the next bunch of P platers I say:
Tough luck. The latest generation always gets fucked over. L's tests and booklets used to be free. You were able to go for you P's without a log book of 50 hours. You only had to remain on your P's for one year before moving on to your full license.

Do you REALLY need a turbo-charged car to get around? I'm not going to talk about the skills you learn over time but instead how about saving some money on insurance? Stick with a cheap reliable car, then when you're older and on your full license (hopefully without any accidents because you havent been driving a turbocharged car around) your insurance will be lower and you won't have had to pay a small fortune over the last 3 years.

If you DO need a high performance car or you have no choice but to drive one then the Government says it's ok and you needn't worry.

Hooray for the new restrictions. Smile
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thu187, I agree with many of your points, except when you said this-

thu187 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 03:33

Do you REALLY need a turbo-charged car to get around?

Really, if you want to get to the nitty gritty, no one needs anything besides say a small underpowered hatchback, or something like a camry, if you're just getting from a to b, or a to b with a family.

I guess you can agree that sports cars are drivers cars, not really designed just for those who want to get from A to B.

But yeah are you saying P Platers should just cool it, go for the few years without their dream car, save that money and then get it once they have a bit more on-road experience?

I'd have to sort of agree with that. Because no amount of experience driving a charade/kia rio/excel/pulsar is going to give you any decent amount of experience you can apply when driving said sports car that you finally decide to buy

But then I guess if you have an accident, you won't be a "P Plate statistic" so the media doesn't care Rolling Eyes
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Tue, 07 June 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes a turboed or more powerfull car will get to say 120 quicker, but both cars can do that, and that can cause problems... sure they restrict the types of cars, that helps, but they are just ignoring what they should do, and that is traning@! i know, while they are there, why not ban cars all together? becuase even a echo for example weighing 950kb, could take a person out, imanging what a person in a 2500kg+ 4wd could do? it will be fine, we will just have to ride bikes around, but then again, there is a slight possibility of someones shoelace getting cought in the chain, then they will loose control and fall over! defect the push bike!

74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My understanding of these new laws are "no modified cars" are modifications that would normally need CERTIFICATION BY AN ENGINEER.

Your normal p plater with exhaust, cold air intake etc should still be ok, provided the engine mods don't go too far and are legal (otherwise an engineers certificate would be required).

Thats what I heard the Gov't say on radio . .

SnowyGem
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any one want to lock down an area somewhere in sydney?? gimme a PM.....
And its not the Learners who are driving now its the P platers on the roads who drive recklessly, my own friends included..... speed limits are there for a reason and most p platers sit constantly 10kms over every speed limit atleast.... one friend of mine sits 20km over every limit he drives as a bare minimum and has never been caught speeding...... they need to restrict and teach the current bunch of idiots on the road cos the Learners havent done anything wrong yet.......they cant drive by themselves yet and cause accidents!!!!!!! not that its always the p platers faults anyway.... but when someones dead u cant ask them what happened.... and its easier to blame to younger driver cos they supposedly have less experience...... and well.... what about people who have been driving shit for 30 yrs? or make one mistake after perfect driving records? people are always going to be different and peoples records should be taken into account
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm define "lock down" a area... would that be legal?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 09:24

Thu187, I agree with many of your points, except when you said this-

thu187 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 03:33

Do you REALLY need a turbo-charged car to get around?

Really, if you want to get to the nitty gritty, no one needs anything besides say a small underpowered hatchback, or something like a camry, if you're just getting from a to b, or a to b with a family.

lol Merudo. That's what I was trying to say! Nobody NEEDS a turbocharged car for just transporting passengers around. A camry etc. will do it.
So actually you agree with what I'm saying but you just misunderstood what I was saying Razz Embarassed
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he means protest ie like what the truckies do a massive line of p-platers driving slowly or stopping on the harbour bridge or something Very Happy
SnowyGem
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im a girl ( yes shock horror)
and i have an idea to ummm * thinks of best legal way of putting it* stop access to and from sydney cbd......
i was bored last nite and got the street directory out.....
but anything is better than nothing lol
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what about rotors Very Happy

i think its time to get one............. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulw85 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 09:29

yes a turboed or more powerfull car will get to say 120 quicker, but both cars can do that, and that can cause problems... sure they restrict the types of cars, that helps, but they are just ignoring what they should do, and that is traning@! i know, while they are there, why not ban cars all together? becuase even a echo for example weighing 950kb, could take a person out, imanging what a person in a 2500kg+ 4wd could do? it will be fine, we will just have to ride bikes around, but then again, there is a slight possibility of someones shoelace getting cought in the chain, then they will loose control and fall over! defect the push bike!

love the sarcasm
it is worthy of praise as this is the current approach taken
i can only wonder how long before they decide the problem with these accidents is people are dying so legislate agaisnt people dying hence wiping out mortality in our lifetime
why not while at it we legislate against poverty racism discrimination and anything else viewed as negitive
seriosuly thailand is looking more liberal in their views than us atm in nsw

only one way to sove these problems
and thats a total plan encompassing the problems
for example
a late teen early 20s will drive in an advanced drivign course at the same skill level with three standard drinks as a 65+ yo sober
speeding is beign activelly policed to reduce fatalities and serious injuries and the projected that it woudl result in a 40% drop in the numbers yet that number has only dropped by 3%
our roads arent built and speed osted according to asutralian design regulations even thou thsoe regulations mandate theyre designed to handle the type of speeds that will result you having your license imediatelly taken away from you on the spot and possibly recieve jail time
the contempt towards rules regulations and legislation is resulting in a situation where there are several classes of drivers on our roads
skill levels are poor at best with most drivers with ineffective and confusing unpopular rules for the use and in some cases plainly discriminatry and unpopular
policing is being viewed by the general public as nothing beyond a revenue collecting agency for the state and federal governments

once these issues are addressed with the publics view taken into account then and only then will there be a significant reduction in fatalities and serious accidents
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulw85 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 12:54

umm define "lock down" a {an}:) area... would that be legal?

the public have the right to peacefully protest actions agaisnt them by a governing body in the form of a convoy wether stationary or moving from my limited knowlege will be classified as one
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The restrictions due to be made really does reflect how smart, great and wise the people upstairs really are.

What a great way to stop the fatalities and deaths on the roads. I think this is a great idea and I support it 100% of the way.

[/sarcasm]
SnowyGem
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed. public has protested in hyde park and other such protests of recent time, its only whne in gets out of hand that cops are able to arrest people.... and thes new regulations really need to be looked at further.... victorias system is much better when it comes to car limitation of 125kw/tonne

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 07:14]

riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SnowyGem wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 13:22

and i have an idea to ummm * thinks of best legal way of putting it* stop access to and from sydney cbd......

Rolling Eyes

Ohh, look at me. I'm making people happy! I'm the magical man, from happyland! In a gum drop house on lollypop lane...

Laughing

Sorry, I said I wouldnt post on this thread again, but I just couldnt resist when brilliant ideas such as the one above are promoted through a perfect example of the immaturity I spoke of in my first post..
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:55

Rolling Eyes

Ohh, look at me. I'm making people happy! I'm the magical man, from happyland! In a gum drop house on lollypop lane...

Laughing

Sorry, I said I wouldnt post on this thread again, but I just couldnt resist when brilliant ideas such as the one above are promoted through a perfect example of the immaturity I spoke of in my first post..

"The only thing evil needs to triumph, is for good men to do nothing" is the best possible reply to your ripped simpsons quote
thanks to the tagline of Caledwvech Smile
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:55

Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Laughing
good call
karol_10
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a good mate of playa_one and havent used my account till now so here goes Very Happy Very Happy

i have not yet got my P Plates and my car is a corolla with a black top 20V now with this new law i will be unable to drive my car???? Sad how can that be? and no way of getting P Plates before 11th july UNLESS im lucky enuf to find a cancellation between now and then. also im hardly your typical P Plater being 21 and turning 22 soon. im hardly the average 17yo P Plater.
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that what this is based on i think, younger people....

my auntie has her p's soooo
karol_10
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe based on younger people but affects older ones as well.
SnowyGem
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

for your information. im 22. also for ur information i have alot of stupid friends that are already on their p's that i wish were coming under this ban. i agree that it should be all p platers. i also think victorias approach is a better tactic than what nsw is stuck with. My suggestion is merely an idea. and quite frankly im allowed to laugh off my own ideas. thanks for the immaturity dig but quite frankly it doesnt matter. i'll speak how i want and if i get girly excited bout something silly. who cares?
karol_10
Newcomer

May 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my intention was not to insult anyone....

also i think that these so called "solutions" are not going to solve anything! i think that they are going about this the wrong way... you want to solve the problem? look at the individuals attitude... yer my car is "souped" up as they put it on the news. but i dont speed i dont do nothing stupid none of the stuff the government has been talking about. and yes i have mates who do stupid things and you know what? i call em dickheads all the time. i also have mates with full licences that STILL do stupid things.... its very very dissappointing to see.

they want to stop the death tolls? target the attitude.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Banning kids from driving powerfull cars will limit the damage they can do when they cock up. Parents should take more responsibility for such things. This doesn't, however, mean we should blame them.

We live in a socioty where parents are de-valued. Parents get strange sideways looks when their child acts up. They are children! They're gonna be messy and loud. Deal with it. We also expect both parents to work. We do this by making it hard to live without a double income comming in. We also have issues with single parents. How can anyone bring up kids when they have to work too? Eck. Who would wanna have kids in this socioty?

Bleck. Our socioty is screwed. Kids killing themselves in fast cars is just a biproduct. Trying to stop kids from doing that is like putting a bandaid on plauge boils. It just covers up the symptoms. It doesn't cure the symptoms, or cure the cause.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:43

I was freaking out when I heard about it on the radio this morning, was worrying that I would have to sell my car! Then found out the turbo thing only applies to P1 (red P plate) drivers, and doesn't apply to existing P plate drivers. I get off my P's in November.
It's a good idea what they have done though, but they should have made it 120kw per tonne, rather than just a blanket ban. What about those turbo Saabs that couldn't pull the skin off a custard?

sorry dude, but...

P1 and P2 licence holders will be banned from driving turbo-charged, super-charged vehicles (diesel vehicles excepted), eight-cylinder vehicles and those with engine performance modifications. Exemptions will apply where powerful vehicles are required for genuine employment purposes, and where eight-cylinder 4WD vehicles are required by rural drivers;

no worries, just dont loose your licence between now and when your off your greens!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 14:00]

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm
1 thing is there will be a lot of desperate sales
either tht or the market value will drop or cheap shitters will be a thing of the past
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree p platers shouldn't have powerful cars but you can still kill someone or loose control in a corona
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Wed, 08 June 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i predict alot of twin turbo diesels coming out very soon.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Thu, 09 June 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree Shraka. A big part of society's problem today is parenting. The parents let the kids do whatever they want, so the kids grow up having no respect for authority. It's sad really. I little discipline goes a long way. Smile
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Fri, 10 June 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder what Holden will think about this.
No more V8's for the kiddies!

99% of the Commodores you see on the road seem to be the 5.7l V8's... nobody buys the "Alloytech V6" yet.
johne
Regular

March 2005
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sat, 11 June 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well heres the list guys which P-platers are prohibited from driving after july 11

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/p1p2 _conditions_dl1.html

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 08:40]

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sat, 11 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was nothing there
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sat, 11 June 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats just amusing... you can't drive the K class turbo cars (Charade 993cc GT) etc. but you can drive an RX8 or any other rotary so long as its not turbo.
Theres also heaps of old school Pre ADR stuff with <3ltr V8's that are banned simply for being V8 (e.g. Bentleys)
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sat, 11 June 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice to see hondas menace on the roads the "city 3d hatchback 1296cc turbo" is off the cards, i feel much safer knowing the NSX is still acceptable Smile

*insert tounge in cheek statement*

i have to agree with the policy, despite the fact im unimpressed with most current road policy. i do admit that i prefer victoria's system of 125kw/tonne though.

*edit* actually i should have read the other pdf... NSX is out.. geeze and i just put a deposit on one too Laughing Laughing

nice to see they have all the porsche vehicles listed as "Inline 6"

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 09:54]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sat, 11 June 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is my opinion on the subject, But somthing needs to be done to change the attitude of young drivers on the roads, Personally I think the new rules are on the right track but the Victorian solution is a better one.

from what I understand and see on the roads is there is a small minority that spoil it all for the rest. (I am a generation ahead of the current P-Platers and got my full licence before the Green P's stuff came in.) Most females generally are quite happy to get a Excel, echo, Corolla or other such "cute" car and drive it around and gain experience over time. Guys on the other hand tend to look for the best their money (or their parents money) can get them and drive like peak hour is a starting grid and every one else on the road is competition. In an Excel that really means they will kill the engine faster in a V8, Skyline or similar this can lead to trouble.

Out of all the young folk wanting to get a car for their P-plates there is only a small percentage (I'd say less than 20%) who will either get a Hi powered car or modified car. and from that percentage I'd say less than 3-5% can afford said car. In the end some smooth talking to the parents, a cheque, a promise to pay it back = over powered car, that they didn't fork out the money for and generally have no respect for the value of the car after the insurance (under parents name) is paid for. If it gets written off they get another car.

Me personally. My first car was bourght buy my parents, they lashed out and got me a $500 Gemini with about 6 months rego and was told that was it. Fine, cool, car... and lack of money. I worked after school for money for fuel and a bit to go toward rego all was good. I sky larked I'll admit that, I had hairy moments I'll admit that too. both me and the car came out unscathed and I was invincable. until I pushed it too far one night and put the front wheel into a gutter bending the front suspension out of whack. tut tut from the parents and a loan of the family car to go to the wreckers for parts and 2 weeks off the road while I worked out how suspension works and replaced the crossmember and all the shit I screwed up. From there I learnt (albeit the hard way) to respect the car and my reliance on it. that was and is my only at fault Accident that caused major damage to the car and I value the work that goes into all the cars I have owned from there.

My younger brother did almost the exact same thing, Cheap Celica, Same corner, similar damage fixed himself.

Whilst this was happening our mates around us were losing licences in their VL turbos, RX7's that their parents pay for and one of my mates lost his life and my brothers mate is now a paraplegic and nearly killed my brother being an idiot ( that is putting it lightly) the shit they were doing I couldn't do in the Gemini.

The Point to this long winded rant... The vast majority of P-Platers are happy just to drive, the small minority of people who want to drive modified or hi powered cars should be the ones targeted. to the effect of somthing like this.
Current testing and driving test if you wish to drive a car with < 90kw/tonne.
90-120 kw/tonne (maximum allowable N/A only, no V8's or over)
should require the current testing + a driver training system that doesn't give you a false sense of driver skill and that you can be failed on if you are crap. + fuck all points on a licence so you value the points you have. (I don't know how many you get ATM.)
At the end of the day the government can do little to change the attitude of the small minority that screw it for the rest. But I know the governing bodies cannot give you 5 years of driving experience in a test. They also cannot give you the life changing experience of holding the hand of a good mate as he dies wrapped around a telegraph pole, whispering "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm Sorry"

Sorry for the Long post, this topic touches a very raw nerve and in my opinion the governing bodies are looking at this the wrong way.
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well look. u cant say that sometimes theres a driver better than sum1 else because of how they learnt or wat they drove.

at the end of the day, yes we may think ourselves as good drivers, but skills dont come into accidents all the time. it comes down to supidity.

but i think one of the common things is yea u know how to drive very well...but we have to drive to every other dickhead out there...thats a skill knowone could perfect because theres just too many drivers out there that drive differently and stupidly.

my opinion
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 09:06

This is my opinion on the subject, But somthing needs to be done to change the attitude of young drivers on the roads, Personally I think the new rules are on the right track but the Victorian solution is a better one.

from what I understand and see on the roads is there is a small minority that spoil it all for the rest. (I am a generation ahead of the current P-Platers and got my full licence before the Green P's stuff came in.) Most females generally are quite happy to get a Excel, echo, Corolla or other such "cute" car and drive it around and gain experience over time. Guys on the other hand tend to look for the best their money (or their parents money) can get them and drive like peak hour is a starting grid and every one else on the road is competition. In an Excel that really means they will kill the engine faster in a V8, Skyline or similar this can lead to trouble.

Out of all the young folk wanting to get a car for their P-plates there is only a small percentage (I'd say less than 20%) who will either get a Hi powered car or modified car. and from that percentage I'd say less than 3-5% can afford said car. In the end some smooth talking to the parents, a cheque, a promise to pay it back = over powered car, that they didn't fork out the money for and generally have no respect for the value of the car after the insurance (under parents name) is paid for. If it gets written off they get another car.

Me personally. My first car was bourght buy my parents, they lashed out and got me a $500 Gemini with about 6 months rego and was told that was it. Fine, cool, car... and lack of money. I worked after school for money for fuel and a bit to go toward rego all was good. I sky larked I'll admit that, I had hairy moments I'll admit that too. both me and the car came out unscathed and I was invincable. until I pushed it too far one night and put the front wheel into a gutter bending the front suspension out of whack. tut tut from the parents and a loan of the family car to go to the wreckers for parts and 2 weeks off the road while I worked out how suspension works and replaced the crossmember and all the shit I screwed up. From there I learnt (albeit the hard way) to respect the car and my reliance on it. that was and is my only at fault Accident that caused major damage to the car and I value the work that goes into all the cars I have owned from there.

My younger brother did almost the exact same thing, Cheap Celica, Same corner, similar damage fixed himself.

Whilst this was happening our mates around us were losing licences in their VL turbos, RX7's that their parents pay for and one of my mates lost his life and my brothers mate is now a paraplegic and nearly killed my brother being an idiot ( that is putting it lightly) the shit they were doing I couldn't do in the Gemini.

The Point to this long winded rant... The vast majority of P-Platers are happy just to drive, the small minority of people who want to drive modified or hi powered cars should be the ones targeted. to the effect of somthing like this.
Current testing and driving test if you wish to drive a car with < 90kw/tonne.
90-120 kw/tonne (maximum allowable N/A only, no V8's or over)
should require the current testing + a driver training system that doesn't give you a false sense of driver skill and that you can be failed on if you are crap. + fuck all points on a licence so you value the points you have. (I don't know how many you get ATM.)
At the end of the day the government can do little to change the attitude of the small minority that screw it for the rest. But I know the governing bodies cannot give you 5 years of driving experience in a test. They also cannot give you the life changing experience of holding the hand of a good mate as he dies wrapped around a telegraph pole, whispering "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm Sorry"

Sorry for the Long post, this topic touches a very raw nerve and in my opinion the governing bodies are looking at this the wrong way.

hmm very insightfull post there
im able to relate and thats what frustrates me, i see the current system and the system planned will NOT work
we need education and skills not limitations as at the end of the day limitations are ignored like speed limits for example
give these kids a chance at least by giving them the skills and education to know what can go wrong and what to do if the shit does hit the fan
as people pass various driving skills levels the size and power fo the vehicles go higher
fro example
bran briscoe is only young ( not sure how young) yet if ehs on his p plates eh would be restricted even thou he has more experience and skills than 99% of those on the roads
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They should also banned sullysick 18inch chromies, rush filters ,exhaust holes and ricer kits.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guaruntee it won't change a thing. Young drivers will still die. You can't stop that
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't you guys get over this.

Their doing this because they love us Heart

We'll learn to appreciate it when we're older.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think many people on toymods should complain as the majority are already on their greens at least.

Anyway a skyline gts-t is around 160ish kw at the wheels is it not?
An N/A supra is around the same isn't it?
I had a look and it's not on the banned list Razz

Oh and of course the NRMA are going to complain. They're going to lose a lot of money!
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: P PLATERS!!! ENGINE MODS ARE OUT!!! Sun, 12 June 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Evan wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 22:06

I guaruntee it won't change a thing. Young drivers will still die. You can't stop that

100% correct....

I recall reading a study done by a university into justifying the costs of insurance for young drivers. and while it didn't do anything to help change the costs it did show some interesting stats. I'm going from memory here so don't quote me.

the survey was split into male female, and broken into age groups

17-22
22-27
27-35
35-45
45+

the results were based on 2 years of collected data from insurance companies to identify the risk groups for insurance brakets. The way the survey and stats were compiled was done in such a way that it levelled the field for all drivers and the result came out that the highest risk of an accident is male 45+ followed by female 45+ followed by male 22-27 followed by female 27-35. that I found interesting and the results were based on the chance of an Accident per km driven. the drama comes when you put those results to the amount of time spent driving. when the results for young drivers sky rocket over the rest because they tend to drive more than the other groups. I thik this is what spurred the whole curfew for P-Platers thing a few months bak by reducing the driving time P-Platers do thus theoretically reducing the risk.

No, people will still die in accidents end of story. P-platers and other drivers will still have accidents. the difference might be 1 particular person killing themself in a V8 commodore after just losing it in wheel spin. or the same person side swiping another car but living to tell the tale in a Lancer.
you will still get the idiot driver doing 120k's in a 50 zone mis judging a round-a-bout and rolling the car over, that can be done in a Gemini, ss commodore, ferrari but that comes down to driver attitude which the government can't really do dick about. The government is trying to stop the inexperience driver fom pulling out from behind a stopped row of traffic and gunning full throttle past them only to find that the reason the traffic has stopped is due to someone trying to back a trailer into a driveway and T-boning them at 100+ km\h because there was no time to react to the situation and a more experiened driver should know better, that same situation in a less powerful car there would be more time to react and either avoid the accident or reduce the damage done at impact.
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vid of burning golf GTI
Next Topic:EOI ????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:34:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077581405639648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.