Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Fri, 10 June 2005 03:31 Go to next message
hey all,

During a 6 hour drive yesterday my engine (rwd 4age) started overheating, I managed to keep things under control for a while until I really couldn't drive any further without doing damage (40ks from my destination).

anyway, with a lot of time on my hands waiting for a tow, I removed the top water outlet (jdm rwd) too jump up and down on the thermostat. I didn't find it there (yes I know where it is now). But I would like to know how the bypass tube thing seals (comes out of the bottom of the water outlet, and goes into the waterpump area below). It looks like it was just jammed in to the top water outlet. I bolted it back up, and tried running the car again (after using all the water i had in the car) and it leaked from where the tube went into top water outlet.

How does it seal?

Also, I did do some searching, but just to make sure... the 4ac thermostat will fit and WORK in a 4wd 4age?

Cheers.

Clayton
  Send a private message to this user    
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Fri, 10 June 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's supposed to have an O ring top and bottom of the little pipe.

Every one I've seen is rusted out.
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Fri, 10 June 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perfect answer! any idea on where one might get a replacement o ring from? garden hose? any other cars use a similar idea with same diameter fitting?

much appreciated!
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Fri, 10 June 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've run a 4AC thermostat in my ZE for ages. Never given me a problem (well not that I've noticed).

I think I had that same O-ring problem too. Just looked through a big bucket of junk at home til I found one that (almost) fitted. I seem to remember that garden hose fitting ones were too small.

Hen
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Sat, 11 June 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can seal it back up doing a dodgy method, but will probably start leaking again later on or be a pain in the ass if you ever need to take the head of the motor.

Just get a whole new part from toyota new, cost you bugger all.
It comes with the o-rings and is easily available (got mine same day)

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Sat, 11 June 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got some bunnings style o-rings... i'll get a new bypass pipe from toyota when I'm in melbourne - mine was a little corroded.

also, the thermostat was the same part for 4ac, fwd 4age and rwd 4age(well it fits).
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age rwd top water outlet bypass tube sealing Sun, 12 June 2005 11:03 Go to previous message
Go to an industrial supplies place, bearing place, or anything similiar, and they will have plenty of O rings. Should cost you about 20 cents to replace them! When you put them in, use a little bit of canola oil - don't use engine oil, and don't be tempted to do what a lot of people do and stick them in with gasket goo. Make sure everythings clean and smooth/shiny, too! (duh..)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4efte into Paseo
Next Topic:battery in boot....St18*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:25:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004478931427002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.