Toymods » The Outhouse » who has regrouted their shower??? need help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barned01
Regular

September 2003
who has regrouted their shower??? need help Thu, 16 June 2005 15:44 Go to next message
okay i have gone through the notoriously painful task of removing the grout and silicone from between gaps in the tiles in the shower, but now i need helpful tips putting it all back together.

1st.
2 tiles were broken at the very bottom, when i removed these a whole heap of mortar came with it. if i buy more mortar to replace that which came out, can i just adhere the replacement tile to that?

2nd.
how do i clean the tiles thoroughly before regrouting. including removing silicone residue.

3rd.
when i regrout, am i supposed to leave the corners clear as that is where the silicone will be replaced?

4th
any good methods for applying the grout and silicone

5th
any good preventative procedures to ensure i don't have to go through this hell again.

surely someone is as silly as me out there and has done this before. any help would be appreciated before i fully fluff this up.

barnsey

[Updated on: Thu, 16 June 2005 15:45]

Send a private message to this user    
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Thu, 16 June 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done some of this in my place before. I am not sure what the pros would do though.

1) Mortar, add Bondcrete to the mortar mixture - this is sort of like glue for cement. It should ensure that there is a good bond between the new cement and the old. You will want to ensure that the old cement is clean (ie no alae/mould etc buildup).

The new tile can then be put on that as long as it is not too deep. Otherwise a product like resiflex (like a rubberised tile glue) to stock the tile on.

2)Not sure how to really clean them up - I just carefully scraped the old out (yeah, bugger of a job). Don't use anything like a wire brush as this will scratch the tile and then encourage mould growth.

3) Again, not sure what the correct method is, but I grouted the whole lot. THEN siliconed the complete floor corner/edge. Trick i was taught was to have a cup of water that you dip your finger into to smooth the silicone. That way the silicone does not pick up and you get a nice smooth edge. Also, don't use the cheap silicone from the $2 shop.

4)See (3) for silicone. Apply the grout and using a damp sponge, wipe over it all. It does not matter that a fine dusting of grout ends up on the tiles. Once all is dry, wipe over with a wet sponge and this should wash off.

5)Not sure of this - movement of the tiles etc (ie preparation of the shower surface before laying the tiles) will play a big part. If the floor moves ie laid on timber without a fibreboard base, the tiles will move and cause the grout to crack up. Not much you can do about that now though, except make sure that the piers/beams under the bathroom are packed well (ie between pier and beam is tight and not 'bouncing').

That is my home handyman experience anyway.

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Thu, 16 June 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Barnsey, lets go.

1st.
Yes, but before you put any mortar back in get some 'cemstik' and paint the surface were it's going, this helps the new mortar stick in place.

2nd.
Sorry there is no quick-fix or easy way out for this one.
The silicone residue & old grout can be cleaned off using a razor blade or scraper.

3rd.
If the corners that you are talking about are the ones around the bottom between wall & floor, yes.
If it's the corners of the walls then it is not necessary as the grout will seal these corners.

4th.
Ok, if all has gone well so far and the tiles are clean and fixed back in place, let it all dry.
Do your silicone around the bottom first, use the nozzle that comes with it but only cut the tip so that you get a bead about the size of the gap you need to fill.trying not to over fill the corner, just a nice neat fill. now let that dry.
Now comes the fun part.The grouting.
Get a bucket and mix the grout up to a Constancy of cream. Wear a pair of rubber gloves when applying the grout, use a sponge to wipe the grout all over the tiles making sure to fill all the gaps the full depth so you don't get little holes in it. But don't leave it to thick on the tiles as this has to be cleaned off later. keep a damp cloth with you to keep this to a minimum.
Almost there, when this is dry now finish cleaning to residue grout of the tiles, hope you didn't leave to much excess grout on the tiles did you?

5th.
The only thing I can offer you here is don't use it.
No seriously, just keep it clean and airy as mold needs damp areas.

Ok last thing good luck with your job.I hope this has helped.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Fri, 17 June 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers guys, i got the glue type stuff and mixed it into the mortar. then applied the tile to that.hopefully it will hold, i suppose i will find out in 24 hours, where i get to do the next phase of this.
still trying to remove all parts of the silicone however Sad.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Sat, 18 June 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i am a bit lost for the bottom of the shower alcove.
i saw 3 houses and noticed they didn't have silicone around the bottom edges.
what is the correct method?
use the silicone around the bottom, or grout it.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Sat, 18 June 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,
Under normal circumstances when they build new homes they only grout around the bottom.But as you can see it eventually leaks and you end up using silicon, so since you are redoing it use the silicon and you remove a problem that would arise again later.

PS.just for the records I did my time when I first left school as a builder,with my old man.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Tue, 21 June 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok all finished, grouted, siliconed and re-installed (showerscreen that is).
now i am letting it all set today but how do i know all this work has been successful?
i can see it now, there i am having my first shower after all this work and something goes floodfully wrong.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Tue, 21 June 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing
Good on ya. If you have followed all the instructions, I'll be ok.
Congratulations you are now a home renovator.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: who has regrouted their shower??? need help Wed, 22 June 2005 02:45 Go to previous message
you only quality as a serious home-renovator if you:
-attempt to use a petrol-powered post-hole auger solo
-have worked out how to get a fence nailer to rapidfire
-have drilled thru a wall blindly and nicked the edges of your stove-top gas line AND the power to the stove
Laughing

seriously: using the silicon in the corners means that when the house moves about (as they do with changing temps and seasons) the joint will flex with the changes and not open up (like a fully cement-grouted conrer would have).

the only thing to watch for is excessive mould grow appearing along the join - which you should treat before it eventually weakens the seal and lets water under the tile base (e.g. clean the shower more freqently than every 6 months Razz )
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:who loves the chocolate, everyone loves the chocolate
Next Topic:Mind Game (very hard)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:12:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044739246368408 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.