Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » A plan to help get street racing off the road. (3) 2 Vote(s)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 02:30 Go to next message
I've toyed with this idea for a while now, often wondering why other's haven't ployed the same thing. Maybe it's just to hard, but with the right media pull, it wouldn't be that hard a thing.

Here's what I had in mind..

Of late, there has been MASSIVE media attention joined with massive politcal attention directed towards street racing/drag racing.

Frankly, I think that the attention is warranted, however biased and one sided it might be. From an automotive enthusiests point of view, the attention does nothing more than bring the rest of us that do the right thing under the spot light.

Therefore, it's in our interests to promote and assist in facilitating off street racing/drag racing. To this end, I've come up with the following idea.

The government reaps much in the way of 'revenue' from road rules around the state (country on a different scale). Speeding fines alone would bring in a huge amount, but put in fines from people driving defective cars and driving dangerously and things such as that.

So why can't the government channel just a little of this revenue towards subsidising legal, safe, offstreet drag racing events like what is held at Calder park of a friday night? the $50 that it costs to enter may be considered a bit steep, so why not get the government to fund part of that and lower the entry fee to $15 or $20 something like that?

Additionally, maybe we can get other drag strips open to the public, like Sandown or some such. Open more often, for slightly cheaper, with more public awareness, take the racing off the roads and onto the strip.

Additionally, it would require much more advertising to make people aware of the fact that they can do this, and do it cheaply. Even a mini club to try and attract young drivers to it could be arranged.

Now I know this would come up against huge criticism, one of the major things being that the government wouldn't want to pay for any of it, but with a strong media backing it would be possible to swing them I think.

Then once it's got a bit of government backing, it would also be possible to get a bit of backing from the public sector. That said however, the key to the whole idea is public awareness. If the public know it exists, particularly the reationary section of the public that hound enthusiests every time something like that comes on the TV, then government would be urged to get behind it, AND the private sector would be interested because of the all the public awareness (read advertising).

A first start would be a website and a campaign name. I'd be funding the website, but ideas for campaign directions and contacts in both public and private sector would be appreciated from people who would want to be part of the idea.

However, for the start I would just be interested in what people thought of the idea, and where they can see it going/falling down.

Anyone?
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like it. I read somewhere as well about a Police built drag car that people could line up against at the strip... can't remember specifically from where..
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the police in nearly every state have built a drag car to try and show their presence someone other than on the strip.

Other people have done this before, but it's never been on a particularly large scale.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember seeing a picture of that... all kitted out and everything... looked cool
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats so awesome, people pay fines because they cant drive, then they get discounts to go drive on private land.

this in turn lowers the number of bad/stupid drivers on the road.

thus lowering fines, lowering income for the government, one thing they surely dont like.

so, 15% of all fines pay for this subsidised racing.
subsisised racing cuts 20% of fines out.

gee, the money hungry goverment will love that aye?

dont get me wrong, i think its an awesome idea, but it wont stop fuckwits from being fuckwits.

i know most of the people that get in trouble for hooning are doing it because their friends are watching, from either the inside of the car, or another car.

the only way youll reduce the amount of "hooning" on the roads is making people travel alone.

Eldar.O.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm, I can see the point about the centrifugal reduction of fines,
however.

I don't think that speeding fines created from fixed speed cameras on the western ring road will be affected by drag racing legally
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 15:30

Hrm, I can see the point about the centrifugal reduction of fines,
however.

I don't think that speeding fines created from fixed speed cameras on the western ring road will be affected by drag racing legally

I know for a fact when driving up and down that road that people speed between the fixed camera spots especially where there is a straight bit of road ahead...

Cheers.

*PS I can't speed... the SA63 hits terminal velocity at 98kph Laughing
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, willowbank race way is $36 to get in to race, and u get a spectator for free, or its $16 per person to spectate, so its $2 extra to race basically

still way to many cockheads out on a saturday night tho

i am an avid drag racing lover, absolutely love it, but what they need is something where ppl can flog their cars around corners too, like a night time skid pan, $5 for 5 laps, then piss off, like a coles car park,

but it'll never happen
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR DOHC:

Yes, your right, too many dick heads out on a saturday night
But your right, we need something reasonably priced where you can take out your car and thrash the thing.

Calder park has already got something similar, with drift practice on a wednesday night. and drag racing on a friday
But we almost need more drag racing, like a thursday night or something, but calder park gets so packed of a friday night.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah oran park is pretty good but a bit exy for some, i think its around 80 bucks including a day cams license to go drifting on a friday night, saturday is around 150 bucks including a license which isn't really that bad considering the amount of track time and fun you have. PLus the fact that they will blow that kinda money on alcohol anyway, or if not on stupid shit during the week.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They may blow the money on something like that,
however,
that's not the point.

If we can make the offstreet stuff more attractive, maybe we can move the hooliganism to the track (and make it cheaper for ourselves at the same time).
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 12:30

The key to the whole idea is public awareness. If the public know it exists, particularly the reactionary section of the public that hound enthusiests every time something like that comes on the TV, then government would be urged to get behind it, AND the private sector would be interested because of the all the public awareness (read advertising).

Ahhhhh . . . such misguided optimism . . . Razz

That same "reactionary section of the public" would go absolutely ape-sh!t if the government put money INTO racing for street cars. These John-Laws-loving, narrow-minded fv(k3rs would stomp on this (good) idea so fast it'd make your head spin (faster than your wheels!).

The argument would run: WHAT! Money encouraging Hooligans to HOOLIGANISE ? ! ? ! - MY TAX MONEY ? ! ? ! Mad Mad Mad . . . MY TAX MONEY that could be paying for more hospital beds, or another ABC channel so I can watch reruns of the Bill?
NOT ON YOUR LIFE SONNY-JIM

Of course, I think that a handful of amatuer motorsports parks . . placed, run and PROMOTED well would be the best thing since radial tyres. The problem is though, that many of the knobjockeys causing mass-trouble on the street simply wouldn't consider showing up at an organised, safe event/venue, "coz eet eezn't fooolly sik bro" (or similar racial stereotype).

To be honest, I wouldn't want alot of these fools at such a place anyway, as the mix of big ego, little dick and no skill would likely stuff insurance and public reputation of motorsport for the rest of us.

Am I being too harsh?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrm, possibly yes, you are.. But a point of view none the less.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
two things

1st Dick heads race Saturday night???? please explain. i have only dragged on wed nights at willobank. i am just curious to know what this statement means. just a lot of tools trying to look cool go on sat??

2nd There was a time back where it was lobbied to convert the old Brisbane airport into a legalized "hooning area". it never came about because of insurance problems i think. also this was to be a place where you can go and burnout and stuff.

But really though (this is in QLD). if ya wanna burn out legally goto the burnout comps at acherfield. if you want to drag legally go to willobank. as for circuit racing. i though Queensland race allow this to happen too?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Race on saturday night on the ROADS.. We are referring to.

yeah a legallized hooning area would have obvious problems
hehe
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know I'm overly cynical at times, but I just can't imagine certain factions of the community ever letting something like subsidised drag-racing fly. Sad
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sillycar, I am thinking along the same lines as you. Of course, this idea is a smart, logical way to get some street racing off the streets. But they won't be happy till all young people are forced to ride bubble-wrapped speed-governed pushbikes so they can have the road all to their failing-to-indicate, 10km/h-under-the-limit, blissfully-ignorant selves.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when does petrol run out? then restrict everyone to 10kw electric motors.... then we mod em Evil or Very Mad to 11kw Confused
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10kw is walking pace in a mini, at full pelt

which is bad, seeing as the things weigh sweet fuck all.

i was behind an F250 today, it had a stock exhaust pipe, and it was big enough i think for me to fit my head inside it.

those things CHEW fuel.

i stand by my first statement, who here has hooned on their own? its always with mates isnt it?

Eldar.O.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hoon the old pac on my lonesome after work @ 1-2am
im guilty of that... Embarassed
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These 'hoons' spend thousands of dollars fixing up their cars yet they cry foul if they are forced to pay $50-$100 or so to race legally. Even if it were subsidised I doubt the majority would even bother to get their arses to a race track, you can't be fully sick unless it involves breaking the law at the same time.

(oops, reading back it looks like st184 sillycar has already stated that point)

Personally I think there should be much tougher penalties to emphasise that driving is not a right, it's a privilege. If you want to get done doing something stupid then you should be prepared to lose your car for a minimum of at least a month, not to mention cop a much higher fine...

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 15:49]

September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 17:15

stradlater wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 12:30

The key to the whole idea is public awareness. If the public know it exists, particularly the reactionary section of the public that hound enthusiests every time something like that comes on the TV, then government would be urged to get behind it, AND the private sector would be interested because of the all the public awareness (read advertising).

Ahhhhh . . . such misguided optimism . . . Razz

That same "reactionary section of the public" would go absolutely ape-sh!t if the government put money INTO racing for street cars. These John-Laws-loving, narrow-minded fv(k3rs would stomp on this (good) idea so fast it'd make your head spin (faster than your wheels!).

The argument would run: WHAT! Money encouraging Hooligans to HOOLIGANISE ? ! ? ! - MY TAX MONEY ? ! ? ! Mad Mad Mad . . . MY TAX MONEY that could be paying for more hospital beds, or another ABC channel so I can watch reruns of the Bill?
NOT ON YOUR LIFE SONNY-JIM

Of course, I think that a handful of amatuer motorsports parks . . placed, run and PROMOTED well would be the best thing since radial tyres. The problem is though, that many of the knobjockeys causing mass-trouble on the street simply wouldn't consider showing up at an organised, safe event/venue, "coz eet eezn't fooolly sik bro" (or similar racial stereotype).

To be honest, I wouldn't want alot of these fools at such a place anyway, as the mix of big ego, little dick and no skill would likely stuff insurance and public reputation of motorsport for the rest of us.

Am I being too harsh?

Werd.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Fri, 17 June 2005 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rekn it's a really good idea but it will never work because the Government would prefer to spend tax dollars on other things rather than subsidising drag tickets or running their own drag strip. They will only lose votes from the likes at the pedestrian council and there will be an outcry that it could be better spent in other areas (education, hospitals etc.).
Also subsidies are meant to be in place to keep help out companies until they can become internationally competitive or help out in areas that are important to culture (eg. Japan could save HEAPS if they imported rice because their traditional way isn't efficient but it is subsidised by the Japanese government to keep in tact that rice farming culture; same reason why our beef won't sell over in the states - although ours is made more efficiently, theirs is subsidised to the shithouse and thus our exports struggle to compete).
In any case, high speed driving is seen as bogan and hooning around and is not part of Australian culture nor do the companies that operate them require to be internationally competitive . I can see so many people whinging and saying 'oh the police say they want to stop speeding but here they go creating their own place for the hoons to speed in!'.

A great idea but I doubt it would ever happen.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I very rarely hoon with other people in the car. All my "dangerous" driving is done alone. I take pride in my driving and can't concentrate when I have someone else to worry about.

BTW, you know that new rule that forbids certain p-platers to carry passengers? All it does it takes one hoon car with 5 mates in it, and turns in into a cruise of 5 hoon mates all driving alone.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 16:45

BTW, you know that new rule that forbids certain p-platers to carry passengers? All it does it takes one hoon car with 5 mates in it, and turns in into a cruise of 5 hoon mates all driving alone.

Does that mean we'll see more cars on the road? Usually teh fully sick cars at maccaz bro are filled with 4 or 5 individuals. What happens when the one guy who owns the car loses his license. What will happen to the other 4 that don't have a car. How will they cruise?! Shocked
HAPPY LAPS WILL NEVER BE TEH SAME`~!!11
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol Smile
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 01:10

10kw is walking pace in a mini, at full pelt

which is bad, seeing as the things weigh sweet fuck all.

i was behind an F250 today, it had a stock exhaust pipe, and it was big enough i think for me to fit my head inside it.

those things CHEW fuel.

i stand by my first statement, who here has hooned on their own? its always with mates isnt it?

Eldar.O.

i usually hoon alone for the reason of that if i fuck up it's my life at risk and not a car full of lives and then spectators or innocents
some actually do it for self satisfaction and enjoyment and not for big dick syndrome
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 01:48

These 'hoons' spend thousands of dollars fixing up their cars yet they cry foul if they are forced to pay $50-$100 or so to race legally. Even if it were subsidised I doubt the majority would even bother to get their arses to a race track, you can't be fully sick unless it involves breaking the law at the same time.

(oops, reading back it looks like st184 sillycar has already stated that point)

Personally I think there should be much tougher penalties to emphasise that driving is not a right, it's a privilege. If you want to get done doing something stupid then you should be prepared to lose your car for a minimum of at least a month, not to mention cop a much higher fine...

so soemone buying a stock car to drive and enjoy its abilities a hoon spending thousands ?
there are people unemployed or on low paid jobs that enjoy drivign as well in all its various styles and forms and spend more a year on average of fuel or rego or insurance than on the original purchase price of their vehicle
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 16:45

I very rarely hoon with other people in the car. All my "dangerous" driving is done alone. I take pride in my driving and can't concentrate when I have someone else to worry about.

yuppers
brilliant effort cosnidering it only increases the chances of ana ccident happening let alone wear tear and reduction in raw materials
then theres the kyoto (spelling) treaty we refuse to sign due to it being practically impossible to abide by due to our arcaic way of living and this only introducing more polution
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sat, 18 June 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the hardest part to all this is trying to get to the track.How many of us can leave work mid afternoon to get sorted for the drags....I can't!!!! and most people I know cant. So it comes down to the same people getting a go all the time and lets remember it's first in best dressed for the limited spots.
There needs to be more track time on more days with some way of letting more people have a go (maybe stopping people from going more than twice a week or something like that) but it comes down to funds ,I know this.
There needs to be some way of getting funds into all the tracks,maybe we should look at what is going on at wakefeild park, they seem to be running ok and from what I can tell they do it nearly everyday of the week. They have found a way of doing it and it might just be the fact that it is open nearly every day of the year.
I hope my input may help to start something bigger and better in drag racing for all of us
Daemon
Regular

May 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the idea but theres a huge problem.

Politions only care about one thing......... Voters.

How many P Platers etc can vote? Thats what the media has been telling them now you want to turn around and say that the people racing are of voting age and will go out and vote for them come election? (Oh Yes, theres definitly more over 18 year old drivers racing out there!!!)

Im sorry but it will just cost to much money for tax payers. No tax payer will pay for something they arent interested in. And just because me and you pay tax's, doesnt mean we are the bulk of tax payers.

Its been done here in NZ before, everyone asked for somewhere to go, so the local government funded a supervised Burnout pad. They held three events and out of those three events they had a whopping 150 spectators and 10 cars show up. Needless to say it was a waste of money. Street Racers will always race on the street, no two ways about it.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in Victoria, you have to be 18 to be on your P's. So you can vote.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian's Right.

And, there's more people than in new zealand, hence more would turn up to a burnout pad.
Infact I know heaps that would.
Definately more than 10, that's for sure.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The government is making money off "hoons" so easily now... what makes you think they will give that up so easily? Most old wankers dont realise that people will want to try race their car (human nature!)

Not a big fan of drag racing myself, so I would want racing tracks Razz Or at least 1-2 skid pans. Somewhere that low speed techniques can be practised.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 13:59

Yian's Right.

And, there's more people than in new zealand, hence more would turn up to a burnout pad.
Infact I know heaps that would.
Definately more than 10, that's for sure.

A burnout pad is a joke. If you want participation, you need the people you want attending to "take ownership" of the WHOLE DEAL. People just aren't interested in some half-baked strip of bitumen "handed down" to them, which is some politician's idea of a facility.

Get the people who're street-dragging and tearing up public roads involved at the ground-floor before a site's been selected, or even suggested for that matter! Obviously you'd need a dedicated core of "people persons" to keep rival factions from slitting each others throats, and keep the whole project moving forwards.

I'd be talking about a Calder/Winton style "national" race circuit, with a Drift-friendly "twisty" end of the circuit, a Drag-strip front straight(Calder-style) and a burnout-pad placed strategically, to allow Drift, Drag and Burnouts to all run on the same night, without having to move the crowd. Add a decent food outlet, and you're schweet myte! A big trick would be situating the carpark to allow quick track access, for a cruise session say, twice per day/night.

What am I missing from this picture? (a pub would be ace, but Alcohol + cars + egos = BAD!)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/hardman69/Motorsports_Park.jpg

Skidpad on the l.h.s. is part of the circuit, and could have concrete kerbs + tyres placed to change the corner. Drags or drift could be run at the same time as cruising/training happens on the "mini-circuit" on the far-r.h.s.

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 17:25

two things

1st Dick heads race Saturday night???? please explain. i have only dragged on wed nights at willobank. i am just curious to know what this statement means. just a lot of tools trying to look cool go on sat??

is this directed at me Confused
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea is good in theory however the problem is that the percentage of revenue from "hoons" would still be quite a small portion I would think. The outlay the government would have to pay would be greater than the income received from hoons.

As always it comes down to 2 things, money and votes. I know when I vote, I don't know who to vote for because they are all old fuckwits to me.

Eg. I have emailed a couple of politicians and police about discrimination of modified cars and I only get one reply back from one that says that this is not their area and someone else will cover it. Needless to say, no other replies.

I don't know what the answer is. I have been involved in community meetings on the Sunshine Coast in the past and at the time it was basically full steam ahead to get a complex that we could use that isn't over 2 hours away. As usual nothing happens. What can you do?

If there was a large group of people then there may be more support but that is even hard to do now because the government will look at a signed petition as 1 letter even if there are many names on it. (Found this out from the Lakeside Raceway guys)

I don't know???

Confused
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you guys think that if they make drags/drift/burnouts accessible to the public at a cheap price that they will all immediately change their driving style on public roads? the people who are sensible enough not to hoon around after such an event would most likely not fall into the Hoon categorie anyways.

Cya, Calvin Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no way the gov't will subsidise racing with tax payers money. if u ask me the issue with hoons isnt actually serious enuff for the gov't to subsidise it. i mean seriously they have more important things to spend money on, one of them being road rage.

and also due to voting interest, dont think subsidising racing would create interest in a particular party. yes they will get votes frm car enthusiast, but enthusiast is a small percentage of society. besides, its easier to pull in votes frm grandma's watching ACA and today tonite everyday
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgot to mention. ur effort and decision to actually do something about the issue is a great feat. however, i think it would be better off looking at other alternatives than subsidised racing.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daemon wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 10:02

I like the idea but theres a huge problem.

Politions only care about one thing......... Voters.

How many P Platers etc can vote? Thats what the media has been telling them now you want to turn around and say that the people racing are of voting age and will go out and vote for them come election? (Oh Yes, theres definitly more over 18 year old drivers racing out there!!!)

Im sorry but it will just cost to much money for tax payers. No tax payer will pay for something they arent interested in. And just because me and you pay tax's, doesnt mean we are the bulk of tax payers.

Its been done here in NZ before, everyone asked for somewhere to go, so the local government funded a supervised Burnout pad. They held three events and out of those three events they had a whopping 150 spectators and 10 cars show up. Needless to say it was a waste of money. Street Racers will always race on the street, no two ways about it.

well by memory the state and federal governments subsidised or funded the cosntruction of places like eastern creen so why not also subsidise the use of them
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Sun, 19 June 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 22:54

no way the gov't will subsidise racing with tax payers money. if u ask me the issue with hoons isnt actually serious enuff for the gov't to subsidise it. i mean seriously they have more important things to spend money on, one of them being road rage.

and also due to voting interest, dont think subsidising racing would create interest in a particular party. yes they will get votes frm car enthusiast, but enthusiast is a small percentage of society. besides, its easier to pull in votes frm grandma's watching ACA and today tonite everyday

last count i saw figures along the lines of 4.5k auto enthusiasts clubs
average 200 members per club and your looking close to a million voters there or 1/20th of total population let alone the percentile that are able to vote being probably along the lines of 1/4 not beigna ble to vote leaving that number closer to 1/15 for a collective party representing their interests
(figures are either sourced from abs.gov.au or are a gguestimate)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Convince a large organisation to build an international-quality venue, and then you'll be able to convince government to chip in for construction costs if you promise V8 supercars or something similarly high-profile. The hard part would be finding non-residential land within reasonable driving distance of the relevant city. Noise is a huge issue if ANYONE lives within 3-5km of a motorsports venue. That's half the reason why Calder park is halfway to bloody Bendigo ! ! ! The other side of the coin is land cost - a racecircuit any bigger than a Kart track needs STACKS of acreage, which is VERY pricey anywhere within sight of a major city.

Perhaps THAT is where government could be of great assistance . . . . .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the biggest problem is that any current racing venues in nsw anyway have had residential areas planned or moving closer to them and are being closed down. A few years ago saw the fall of ameroo and next year will say good bye to oran park great.
It's a 10-15min drive from my house and so far this year i have probably been there 10-15 times for various events.
Will be a sad day when its gone, as it now means there will a only be one V8 supercar round in the sydney area, b see the end of drifting locally, cos eastern creek is only a figure eight track and wakefield is a bloody long tow home if anything goes wrong.
I think in the past year oran park has been great at getting youths off the street and onto the track with drifting once a fortnight on friday nights and various clubs offering days on saturdays.
So what happens to all these ppl does the hobby just disappear or do they take it elsewhere.
Another thing i see is the fact that once the new p-plate laws come into effect is that drifting will cease to be a viable outlet for p-platers in nsw to vent there rage on the track. No turbos and stock as rock sixes. Sure some might have enough power but the problem really lies in things like stock suspension and brakes.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup.

It's teh pooh.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AH well, you guys have convinced me, sounds too much like hard work and probably won't eventuate to anything anyway.

Guess I should embark upon some other endeavour that benefits myself only. Look after number 1
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:58

AH well, you guys have convinced me, sounds too much like hard work and probably won't eventuate to anything anyway.

Guess I should embark upon some other endeavour that benefits myself only. Look after number 1

Don't give up!

Give Jim Reed a phonecall - He can tell you what it took to get WSID up and running - and it only took him the better part of a decade! Razz
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck that for a joke. Refer to previous post.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah WSID only cost 40 million bucks to build Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We already have this in Perth. $30 gets you as many runs as you can fit in at the Motorplex on a Wednesday night (I think it's during the day on Sunday during winter), and you can enter a burnout comp on the pad for nothing if you so choose. Not much at all and all totally legal.

But yes, it cost a dickload to build, but at least the state government did it, and made it about 40-45 mins for me to get there as opposed to the 1.5 hours it took to get to the old one.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noice! Just drags?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A plan to help get street racing off the road. Mon, 20 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:40

Noice! Just drags?

At that complex yes. I'm keen to get more into some simple circuit racing stuff down the track, every now and then a testing session is on at Barbagallo that isn't very expensive.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Juiced
Next Topic:fixed speed cameras
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:11:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009627103805542 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.