Toymods » General Car Talk » looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 03:00 Go to next message
G'day everyone,

just after some opinions on this car, also have some specific q's I’d like answered.

Are there any particular rust prone areas that i should look out for?

I want a manual one, is the R154 gearbox the beefy one? if so what’s the W58 like? Is that what they came with standard?

I hear that the 7m has head gasket troubles, Is this only in some cases or is it an unavoidable problem throughout all 7m motors that requires a metal gasket installed to remedy?

How do the older soarers go around corners? The newer one looks more like a barge but the older one looks as if it could be made to handle pretty nicely.

And finally, I saw at Import Bitz http://www.importbitz.com/turbo.htmthey sell turbo upgrade kits for about $3000 is this a worth while mod? any ideas on what sort of power I’d be likely to milk? I've seen BLKJET pull over 550kw @ 10,800 with a 7mgte but I can imagine that thing had a shit load of engine work.

Thanks for your time all,
Fingers crossed I can find a nice example in my price range Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rust
- Don't know .. don't own one

Manual
- 7mgte soarer = R154 (supra turbo box well known for toughness)
- 1ggte = w58 (Supra box/ some 802 celica - fairly tough too. Have one sitting behind my 7mgte and its fine)

Head gasket
- MHG will solve it if head and block are machined to perfection and head torqued down properly with ARP headstuds. Probably wont have any problems again after that.
- Thus far my 7mgte has lasted with only a normal VRS headgasket, machine head and standard headbolts torqued down to recommended settings of around 72ft/lbs? (around there)

Turbo upgrade
- I had my eye on those too Razz

Handling
- I've heard they do handle pretty well, but then again, I've only heard

Yian
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you were to go for the 7MGTE the headgasket will need to be done.

Secondly, they can be made to handle pretty well, I have Tein and apexi coilovers, strut brace, and some decent swaybars and I think it handles really well.

The turbo kits will be a worthwhile upgrade, just remember you will need to upgrade other things aswell on the way. Such as fuel pump, injectors, computer, clutch and so on...

hope this helps
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
according to Cruzsida, there was a factory fuckup that caused the headgaskets to not be tourqed down enough, which i why they blow.

apparantly properly preparing and installing the headgasket to the correct tourque rating fixes the problem.

i wouldnt have a clue about eveything else Smile

i know the W series gearboxes are very tuff though Smile

Eldar.O.
Rossco
Regular

June 2002

Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rust= ive seen evry few with rust problems, areas where it might catch water therefore rust form would be sunroof if its got one
around the rear spoiler/ tops of factory kit.

1g soarers come iwth w58 they r pretty strong
7m 5 sp soarer are incredably rare, and im only assuming they use a r154

i would put in a metal head gasket even if the motor5 appeard to be fine, especially if u want to slap on a big turbo kit and wind some boost into it. better safe then sorry
do it right to it once.

handling wise they r ok, they are not small nor lightweight (mine is 1460kg pov pack no leather no sun roof no tems)
but good suspension and sway bars will help alot.

Ross
Phyro
Regular

September 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rust

check B pillars near the window
and Wheel arches

cheers
Phyro
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mz20 7mgte is fine ive had no headgasket problems yet.
thought everyone keeps tellin me i need a mhg.
watch out for rust in the sunroof.
and as for the turbo kit i think the stock 1 is fine
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fantastic! thanks for all the information everyone. So the head gasket problem can only be properly fixed by getting the head and block machined. how much is that likely to cost? does it require the whole motor be removed from the car. or can you just take off the head, and tow the car to the ahhh machinist (is that what they are called? Razz)

I'm pretty confident i could replace the gasket myself, but i really cbf having to remove the whole motor. Of course i could just baby it until i plan on swapping on a turbo kit then, pull everything out and get everything sorted out.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if it ain't broke, don't fix it right? Razz If the headgasket is still fine, just torque it down more to the settings recommended (a search will find the correct torque). Like I said, I'm not using a MHG and I do give my car a bit now and then and so far its ok. When you do blow it, then fix it properly. As for machining the head and block, I'm not sure as to the prices. It cost me $60 to machine my head but I didn't do the block. And I'm prety sure you'd need to remove the block to machine it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
save more...find one with a 1JZ conversion, like shiznacs and myself...you wont ever ever look back, apart too see where that skyline in your rearview mirror has become a tiny tiny speck
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sun, 19 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would love to but don't know if i could afford one, i'll be getting a $7,500 loan, expect to pay arounds $5000 for the soarer hopefully one with a few of my "to do" mods already knocked off the list, use the rest of the loan to get my current car upto to a nice sellable standard, sell it, then pour that money into the soarer.

the 1jz would be unreal no question but i really don't think theres anything wrong with the 7mgte (besides HG of course) However how much would i expect to pay for a 1j'd soarer?

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Mon, 20 June 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12 grand about that mark
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Mon, 20 June 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm ok yer unfortunatly that is out of my range, another positive for the 7m is that it was locally delivered which makes things alot easier to get for it. As far am aware the 1j was only ever in imports yer?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Mon, 20 June 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont fool yourself, just becuase it came here doesnt mean the parts are that much easier to find...

toyota stock plenty of stuff for 1JZ's anyway Smile
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Fri, 24 June 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another question,

With a boost controller (not sure how much boost, whats the usual increase), exhasut system, computer and probally a fmic what figures would i be looking at at the wheels?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Fri, 24 June 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a Microtech, exhaust and pod filter (stock boost and 'cooler), a mate with a 7mgte managed 180ish rwkw. So, with a boost controller, FMIC, decent exhaust and so on, you'll break the 200rwkw mark easily.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Fri, 24 June 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kemicalx wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 08:46

another question,

With a boost controller (not sure how much boost, whats the usual increase), exhasut system, computer and probally a fmic what figures would i be looking at at the wheels?

Mates ma70 made 213rwkw with MHG, 15psi, exhaust, wolf 3d and FMIC.

Also for rust, an area behind the door protector bit. The long strip on the car. It was gold on my gz20.
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Fri, 24 June 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:36

12 grand about that mark

dam i wish i could find a 1j MZ. ive got that easy to spend right now..... know where i could find one....

sorry to interupt post. mz soarers are great. im looking to.

good luck

nick
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 25 June 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I bought mine for 13k and shipped it over from Sydney. There was someone on here was looking to sell his GZ20 with a 1JZ, it was "Danish" have a talk to him. You might be able to work something out...
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 25 June 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pwoahh! 200+ gotta find me one of these things!

Looking back through past for sale threads it looks as though i missed quite a few that meet my needs perfectly Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 25 June 2005 02:11]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 25 June 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you seen this? I can't afford it at the moment, but if you get your mz20 and want a good ECU, this one is a bargain.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=69487&start=0&rid=6751&S=b1e39388a06 f87bbdd5c424870d14413
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 25 June 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O0o0o0 that is a nice deal, now I’ve just gotta find the car :S

I don't want to rush in buying mods before I’ve secured the car first.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 09 July 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This one might interest you:

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!unique_co ntent.enquiry?current_rec=4&page_number=1& vehicle_id=2426956&total_rec=149&sort_type =2&make_id=8&model_id=140
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: looking for an mz20 soarer as my next car Sat, 09 July 2005 22:41 Go to previous message
thanks for that but i have found the one i plan on buying Very Happy it's just having a manual box installed then i'll go and take ownership Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Blue Slip
Next Topic:not a toyota but... JGTC Honda NSeXy ;)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:54:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070168972015381 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.