Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » silly questions to ponder about...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 13:51 Go to next message
after a few drinks with some mates the other nite, we happend to start talking about cars, and cannon mufflers and so on. one of mates started an argument about wat would happen to a car if you block off the tip on the exhaust. its sure do to some damage, but does anyone know what would really happen?
then he asked what would happen if he nossed his car, then when the nos comes in, and he brakes, what would happen, lol?
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd blow a hole in the head?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 23:51

after a few drinks with some mates the other nite, we happend to start talking about cars, and cannon mufflers and so on. one of mates started an argument about wat would happen to a car if you block off the tip on the exhaust. its sure do to some damage, but does anyone know what would really happen?
then he asked what would happen if he nossed his car, then when the nos comes in, and he brakes, what would happen, lol?

dry nos systems are presumably plumbed into the inlet before the throttle body so presuming he took his foot off the gas while he was braking it would be the same as normal.

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myth been busted @ myhtbusters already
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 23:51

after a few drinks with some mates the other nite, one of mates started an argument about wat would happen to a car if you block off the tip on the exhaust. its sure do to some damage, but does anyone know what would really happen?
lol?

If all the exhaust line held up then the engine would just cut out. The old exhaust brake on trucks used to use this same principle to slow them down.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: silly questions to ponder about... Mon, 20 June 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah no danger to blocking the exhaust.

I thought trucks still had exhaust brakes? Or do they mainly come fitted with the electromagnet tailshaft brakes nowadays?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: silly questions to ponder about... Tue, 21 June 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 09:33

Yeah no danger to blocking the exhaust.

I thought trucks still had exhaust brakes? Or do they mainly come fitted with the electromagnet tailshaft brakes nowadays?

Yea they do, they call it compression braking still. Wink The BRRAAAPPP sound is as loud as ever. Smile

Quote:

He'd stop is what would happen. Nitrous is not a permanent WOT accelerator. You still have to tell the car to go and give it an air/fuel mix with the actuation of the accelerator pedal. Wink
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: silly questions to ponder about... Tue, 21 June 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monster trucks have brakes on the driveshafts i don't know about other trucks tho.

I know a "jake brake" works in 2 ways.
it can either hold the exhaust valve open or the block off the exhaust flow with a butterfly.
The guy who delivers our fresh water told me he left his butterfly type brake on once and could have cracked both the head and pistons.

But they are set up with a spring in there so when pressure builds up to a certain point it gets released.

I don't know this for fact this is just what a guy told me
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Tue, 21 June 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blocking the exhaust it a good way to test for leaks. If the car stalls then exhaust is good.

Tim.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Tue, 21 June 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 11:28

I know a "jake brake" works in 2 ways.
it can either hold the exhaust valve open or the block off the exhaust flow with a butterfly.
The guy who delivers our fresh water told me he left his butterfly type brake on once and could have cracked both the head and pistons.

But they are set up with a spring in there so when pressure builds up to a certain point it gets released.

I don't know this for fact this is just what a guy told me

The Jakebrake is a engine retarder = alters the cams,thus allowing compression braking.
The Exhaust brake = is a butterfly or valve fitted to the exhaust system.
neither unit can be fitted to a petrol motor (so please don't try it).
As for damage to the head/pistons in 30 odd years of driving I have never seen this happen.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Tue, 21 June 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My gemi was blocked with a peice of fruit, after much labour starting it, said peice of fruit was propelled back from the car and splatter of the adjacent cars in parking lot (which is when i realised why it was so hard to start).

Dunno if it would have enough presurre to blow the head tho, surely the weak point would be in the exhuast welding?

Apparently the rag over the tailpipe trick is not healthy on turbo cars, not sure why tho but some guy got quite pissed at me, i just don't understand!
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: silly questions to ponder about... Wed, 22 June 2005 22:03 Go to previous message
Squid wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 23:52

Apparently the rag over the tailpipe trick is not healthy on turbo cars, not sure why tho but some guy got quite pissed at me, i just don't understand!

His thinking would be the possible damage to his turbo or exhaust line from any pressure build up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SSS forum?
Next Topic:Bored off my mind
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:50:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041229724884033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.