Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AZZTOY
Regular

April 2004
KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 11:20 Go to next message
I just bought 69 model ke 10 with the intentions of an engine conversion. I have had the one engine in mind from day one - 1UZ-FE - though I also know I have to be realistic. I have done some research on the 1UZ as far as dimensions. From my rough measurements the engine may fit with some modifications to the radiator support panel, and maybe some minor work on the fire wall. I haven't done much research on the gearbox tunnel, though I can't see that being a huge problem.
My experience with engine conversions isn't too vast, the only conversion I have had a part of is replacing my hilux 22r, with a 22re. Really when you think about it you can't call that a conversion!
Because of my lack of experience I have been searching for someone else that has done this conversion. The closest I found was a ke20, and also the flea (www.1uzfe.com) which I think is equivalent to the ke 20.
Anyway, I guess the question I want to ask, is a Ke20 engine bay the same as ke10.

Thanks for any help.
  Send a private message to this user    
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am pretty sure they are smaller than the ke20/25. But not completely sure. Why did you chose the 1uz? That is gonna put a mammoth amount of weight at the front of the 700kg(roughly) ke10... Weight distribution is gonna be shot to hell. Unless you plan on using it just for something specific, eg drags?
Good luck anyways.
Michael
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm 180kg odd motor in a 700kg car....

there is no way in hell this will ever be legal on the road... no way...

that said.

the 1UZ is approx 70x70x70cm in dimensions.
the KE10 engine bay is 50x60x70 (betwen strut towers, firewall to rad support)

the KE10 engine bay is shorter than KE20 by maybe 10-15cm (about 25-30 than KE30??)

why would you want to put a 1UZ in a KE10... unless for drags and then you'd mount it halfway into the cabin for weight transfer anyway...

too heavy, power is not useable, never be legal, no traction, no handling.. thing would tip on it's nose when braking Wink

so what are the good reasons?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and it doesn't fit without firewall/rd support moved by 20cm, and the strut towers moved out by 10cm.. BEFORE you even think about exhaust Wink

now where's that gonna go Laughing
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ke10 engine bay is pretty small. watch out for the strut towers, as the engine can be made to fit pass the firewall and the radiator can be moved further forward to, but theres not to much you can do about the sides.

good luck though!
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Tue, 12 July 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could do the same as VW did with the Passet and have the motor way out in front of the front wheels. You see its a front wheel drive and the motor sits in a north/south fashion. Great for anti-lift not so great for turning and in your case neighter for stopping..... but then again a front mounted ship anchor, mmmmm nice Wink

But then again would there be room behind the front seats. Now that would be way cool
AZZTOY
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advise. I thought I was dreaming with the 1UZ. Anyone got any suggestions on a conversion, must be fuel injected.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and unless its an auto u will be hard pressed to fit any good gearbox in there with out major modifications

a t50 doesnt even fit in there properly, even with some liberal "massaging"

If you had to stray from the K series of motors, i would suggest a worked 4age or 20v, with some custom firewall love. Idealy u have to move the firewall back ~2cm for the bottom of the bellhousing to clear the steering arms from my experience

r&p is allways an idea too,

Anything in a ke1x that is not standard is going to be one ass fuck after the other, but in the end u will end up with a 730kg rocket ship....

I have seen 302 powered KE15 drag cars running 9's, but they aint realistic for anything but drag racing Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 10:31

Anything in a ke1x that is not standard is going to be one ass fuck after the other, but in the end u will end up with a 730kg rocket ship....

thats my quote of the week Very Happy
AZZTOY
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like it!
I was also thinking the starlet 1300 turbo, 4afte i think? Then you have the issues of converting it to rwd.
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4e-fte is the starlet engine

and a 4age would be easier as there r rwd parts available
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AZZTOY wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 14:05

i like it!
I was also thinking the starlet 1300 turbo, 4afte i think? Then you have the issues of converting it to rwd.

4L V8 to 1.3L turbo is a big jump... what are you trying to do with the car? meh any FWD can be made RWD..

it's not school holidays again is it?
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 14:08

it's not school holidays again is it?

Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it is rofl Very Happy
AZZTOY
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just trying to weigh up all my options mate. I intent to do spend alot of time and money on this project. I don't want to just start buying shit that I don't need. Yeh the ultimate would be the 1uz but from what you guys are telling me and other research I have done its not looking very possible. I am also thinking some sort of v6, or 4cyl forced induction. I don't know about you but I like to think about things before I jump in!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fairy nuff...

1UZ is not "the ultimate" for so many reasons... maybe for an MA61 it would be ultimate, but not for KE10.

in NSW you are severely limited in engine size you can put in, and undoubtedly it is the same for Vic. the very first thing you need to do is to talk with your engineer (and if you don't have one.. get one) and set some limits on what sizy and type of engine can be put in, and what it will take to do it....
small V6 (like 2L) could be a good option, but i don't like V6.. not naturally balanced. 4cyl you have many options..

Quote:

I don't know about you but I like to think about things before I jump in!

heh heh, well, i've been thinking about my KE15 conversion for maybe.... 10 years now.. i'm almost ready to start Laughing

meh... do what you want, but talk to an engineer first Very Happy

oh, and get your head around the steerign and suspension setup as the FIRST thing... it is nowhere near as easy as you may think Wink

Cya, Stewart
AZZTOY
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE10 - KE20 engine bay Wed, 13 July 2005 06:03 Go to previous message
thanks, i appreciate useful information
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE GEN II Engine Goes Bye Bye
Next Topic:Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 05:24:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.081897020339966 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.