Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » so I did my auto to manual conversion....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 08:10 Go to next message
The coversion was going well, a few hiccups but nothing major. Had to cut a bigger hole for shifter to fit. The spiggot bearing went in fine, clutch, flywheel gbox went on ok. HOWEVER... After trying to start car(In what I thought was neutral) found it was actually in gear. When box was taken from previous car, was not removed in neutral, felt as though I only had 1st and 2nd gear. So I took out g-shift and attempted to correct the lever settings...Was relatively successfull after some time...Got 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,reverse and neutral. But no 5th. Had another play today. Now I have nothing, Can't even start car. Help. Is there a method for setting these levers correctly before putting in g-shift. has anyone had trouble with this before... Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What car, and what engine/gearbox?
FWD is all I could assume...
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta22, t50 gbox. 3tc engine

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 09:31]

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops, I was way off! At least I've done one of those myself though Smile

It sounds bizarre.. how was the gearbox on the other car? (if you ever drove it) On my t50 the shifter had to be pulled UP before sliding across and into both reverse and 5th.

Clutch problem maybe? If you can't start the car...
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove it on the other car nad was fine - I never got up to fifth gear though on the test drive...I know you have to pull up for reverse but for 5th aswell?...Interesting....It went accross but not in so it could be a possibility. I think I screwed it up a bit though at the moment. I need to get it back to where it was before...The cluth was working fine. Car turns but is in gear- even with clutch in.-Had this problem last nite but more fiddling with the selector levers unwittingly fixed it.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 09:54]

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to pull mine up for 5th and reverse, yeah. I couldn't remember having to on the test drive, but at the same time I don't think I quite made it to 5th, either.

Do you mean the car's jumping forward when you start it even with the clutch depressed?
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not jumping forward, but grinding. it would appear th shifter isn't correctly in place with all of the tabs...i just dont know how these tabs should be set- there is a few combinations
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's almost gonna be easier to put another box in...It's still a good box though....I think I need some detailed pics of the top of a good box, to see the tabs...I don't know, I need to have another look, time's not really on my side though...
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds suss that it's grinding, technically if the clutch was working right the input shaft shouldn't be spinning when the engine turns to make it grind...

You could always go to a wrecker and check out a box. A decent wrecker is likely to have a t50, you'd have to think!
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Sun, 17 July 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah - I might have another look tonight. Thanks heaps for your ideas though!
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Mon, 18 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same prob with t50's in my old Celica,..

To correct it, simply remove the shifter, and use a screw driver to click the selectors into line (clutch in)

They should be lined up equally (3 on each side if I remember correctly)

If my explaination is dodgy, PM me and I'll draw a diagram,.. Smile

Cheers

shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: so I did my auto to manual conversion.... Mon, 18 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous message
All good, Thanks man - Did exactly that and got it functioning. Pretty much have to double clutch though to make it run smoothly. Not that it bothers me...Thanks guys!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:diff for ae71 or ke70
Next Topic:autometer tacho problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Sep 30 01:25:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069301128387451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.