Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 08:25 Go to next message
okay, gota get my block rebored and will need an OS piston. just wondering where or who can supply this and how much it will roughly cost.

i read in some old topics of some 9.7 OS 0.5m pistons, do geniun still sell these or what?

what about pistons from another motor?

any help would be great.
  Send a private message to this user    
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know ACL make pistons for the 18rc dont know about the 18rg tho.

There is a place that can do custom CAST pistons in adelaide, some people on these forums know a bit more about it then i do. They are $660 AUD

Also http://www.paradiseracing.com/Main.htm Click engines select 18rg. They can have ARIAS pistons make them for you, forged aswell. $550 US

Then there is toysport, http://www.toysport.com/ search around on that site and u can find forged 18rg pistons. They are about $600 US

U can always get big piston companies to make them but it is very pricy as they are not a stocked item and are classed as custom.

Toyota do not stock 9.7 comp pistons

Hope that helps a bit.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 08:36]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure that 20R pistons work and they are still available.

also, i think i recall somebody saying that you can get these pistons genuine from toyota still Confused
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what comp ratio will the 20Rs give me and what diamater are they. i think from memory my bores are 88-89mm. If i can get second hand or even a piston from another engine would be great, coz atm i dont want a $1500 dollar bill. but if i really need to get new pistons i will do.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
special pistons in melb will do forgings for about 1100 aussie with pins and rings and any size you wont in comp or over size
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the looks of things pistons will be around $600.

i will not need a forged piston as im not going to run any form of boost. so a standard piston will do

generally id love to spend as little as possible on pistons. thats why im looking towards another make of piston from another motor.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you will find that 20 r are flat top pistons not the same as 18rg dome jobbies
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its not for a turbo application, why not just source some second hand 18rg pistons.

see "mr dohc" 's thread - i think he is selling some
ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 18rg pistons, but my bore is slopping.

ie, my ring at the bottom of the bore has a 20thou gap and at the top it has a 30 thou gap.

unless there are different diamiter RG pistons??
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could get some early edition 22R pistons and have them remachined to suit the 18RG valves.

The absolute cheapest forged option is pfobably a set of Mahle Forged VW 311 bigbore pistons. $600, you'd have to get the 92mm/39mm comp height ones and get the block skimmed 0.5mm to get a compression ratio of 7.5:1 maximum. If you want 9.7:1 these are not an option, obviously.

The custom cast pistons from JP Engineering (Adelaide) are a reasonable option. You'd want to upragde the rings to chrome ones though.
Used to be $660 per set, don't know about now.
Contact me if you nee more info, those guys have a few attitude issues on occasions, I have all the specs for the pistons thay've already done.
Whatever compression you want upto 12.5:1.

Then it comes down to what Jeffro RA28 posted for the websites.
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Mon, 18 July 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CelicaRA45 wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 20:26

i think you will find that 20 r are flat top pistons not the same as 18rg dome jobbies

No your wrong.
the 20R are dome pistons I do have a set of the in a RG block.
here is a pic of the 20R forged pistons in the RG block.
by the way. the pistons are 90mm the stock 18RG pistons are 88.5mm

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/some-engine-pics/2783_G.jpg

ra40coupe
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Tue, 19 July 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what comp would these 20Rs leave me with? i dont mind if i have standard comp or high comp.

do the 20R pistons need to be modified at all?
are the 20R still a common piston and would soucing them be easy.

coz right now its either leave my block and throw my new rings on or spend at the most $300 for other pistons and machining.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Tue, 19 July 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey turboRG, what brand are they
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: 18RG, need new OS pistons Tue, 19 July 2005 17:41 Go to previous message
ra40coupe wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 16:51

so what comp would these 20Rs leave me with? i dont mind if i have standard comp or high comp.

do the 20R pistons need to be modified at all?
are the 20R still a common piston and would soucing them be easy.

coz right now its either leave my block and throw my new rings on or spend at the most $300 for other pistons and machining.

All I had to do was over bore the cylinders and I'm still using the stock RG connecting rods.
there easy to get here in the States. I paid $350 USD.
the compression is almost 9to 1.
I have a friend that's using flat top forged air cooled vw piston.
his compression is in the 7s and he runs 16lbs of boost on the street.

Mr DOHC hey turboRG, what brand are they

they are Wiseco

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/toyceli72/my_photos
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ???
Next Topic:What do these wires do?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Sep 8 02:53:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068159103393555 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.