Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Who don't you let work on your car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:13 Go to next message
This question occurred to me whilst bleeding my brakes. Methinks: "I'll rope in my girlfriend to help me. All she needs to do is push down on the pedal."

So the back two wheels are all good, but by the time I get to the LH front, my head is under the car and I am attaching the hose to the bleeder union, then "BEEP!!". and one of my ears is ringing kinda bad Mad WTF? my head is about 5cm from the horn, and she pressed it! Never again I say!

And my question is: Who else should not be allowed to touch cars?
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My GF helped me bleed the brakes last time, she did a good job pushing the pedal (no horn blasting) but she hates helping with the car in any way.

I try to only have other "enthusiasts" help out when I need an extra hand Wink Usually they are pretty easy to find.

The only people who I never let help with with two or three man jobs are lazy phuckers and bodgy khunts Very Happy
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll let anyone help me bleed brakes/other easy jobs. I'm always appreciative of the help.

But for anything vaguely important/dangerous it's only me or one of about 2 or 3 friends I really trust. And I check everything over at the end anyway. I make enough stupid mistakes myself, I don't want other people doing that for me too.

Hen
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find freinds dads being a quite helpfull and cheap (free) way of getting things done.

i dont let my gf drive my car let alone touch anything under the hood the fact she doesnt know how to stop in a manual (just stalls the car instead kinda says alot)
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after well over 20 years working on cars, i still never tire of the old press the horn and hope its a loud one,when someone has there head under the bonnet. i must be up to 200 sore heads by now.

i wouldnt let half the mechanics in australia do anything to any car. i once got my wife let the the engine down into a car while i guided it!slowly hunny,shit,thank god for cross members and no fingers in the way.i only showed her 10 times how to do it slowly,should have told her 11 times.
mick
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made the same mistake with my missus, but thankfully it didn't hit the deck too hard. She doesn't trust herself with 'helping' me now and just stands back which is a shame.

Other than that, I have one mate who I completely trust and would be happy to let him work unsupervised, and a couple of other enthusiast mates who are good value for helping.

I only trust one mechanic, but thankfully I haven't had to have him do anything on my cars for almost 10 years now.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Who don't you let work on your car?

mechanics. Wink
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 17:31

after well over 20 years working on cars, i still never tire of the old press the horn and hope its a loud one,when someone has there head under the bonnet.

evil, evil person! Laughing . I have to agree with feral as well. The amount of weird shit I have seen after my car went to the mechanics boggles the mind! things like BIG vacuum leaks under the carby and a leaking front oil seal (after they replaced the timing chain gasket) have caused many an unhappy moment.

By far the worst mechanic related incident was an apprentice crashing my Dad's hilux on a test drive, doing $5000 of damage. Everyone loves Canberra toyota!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha

If i'm working on my car i'll let me female friends hand me tools but i have to dumb everything down for them

"i need the long thing with a ring at one end a mouth at the other with the number 14 written on the end."

The whole foot down/foot up thing seem too complicated for my sister to understand so she doesn't get ANYWHERE near my car.

deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tricky wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 21:25

The amount of weird shit I have seen after my car went to the mechanics boggles the mind!

mm, had a ding in my front left wing of my rona repaired by a smash repairer once..

i think they had to take my door out, because my left front speaker wasn't working when i got it back

so off came the door trim and you won't believe what i saw.

Instead of re-soldering my wires, and screwing my speaker back in, they had used masking tape to hold the speaker to the pod, and masking tape as insulation tape for the wire.

obviously masking tape wasn't going to hold my wires for long, hence it didnt work

why they took the speaker out in the first place i have no idea
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my freind took his car to auto electriction to get his A/C fixed and somewhere along the lines they did something majorly wrong

completly fucked and cooked the engine bout 2 days after so the auto electric place had to pay to put a completly new engine in his car.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Wed, 20 July 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a car once that was damaged (it was cheap because of the damage and I only wanted it for parts).
I asked the guy, who was an apprentice mechanic, what happened and he said he was tuning the carbs and asked his girlfriend to give it a rev to see how it went. The bonnet was up at the time and she put it in gear and took off straight into the back of a landcruiser. They where originally selling it for $2500 and I got it for $500 after it was "tuned" Laughing .
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Who don't you let work on your car? Thu, 21 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous message
I have generally one mate who i will let work on any of my cars unsupervised and vise-versa.
Having been a mechanic myself i dont trust mechanics to do the job how i want it done so i dont use them unless i really have to. The last time went to get the 23's wheel alignment done after i replaced all the steering gear i took it back twice and even then i had to get under the car and show the guy and boss how to do it properly.
Girlfriends are a hard one at the risk of sounding sexist i give them the simplest of jobs that require little explaining and only if they ask for something to do.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Chaser for sale?
Next Topic:1993 WRC Celica Vs 1991 Celica SX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:31:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005626916885376 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.