Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » ST165 owners dedicated thread!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does any1 have a st165 aussie DP for sale? where abouts do u guys get them from? do u order them over the net or what? im also after a midpipe but might have that made up from and exhaust shop.

Send a private message to this user    
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, is any1 up for a gt4 cruise in melbourne soon? would be awsome having a bunch of gt4's cruising round the streets, get some photos, have a bite to eat, check out each others rides and meet the drivers.

i know this should be in cruise section for victoria, but i wana get all the gt4 drivers attention!!!

how bout september 10th after the bennica dyno day?
if we have interest we will start a thread in the cruise section so we dont clog our own thread up.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.aussiexhaust.com.au/
Best exhaust for the GT4 without a doubt.
I would be down for a cruise but around that time my girlfriend is going OS so im taking the time to use our car while i have my Aussie system re-installed. Fucking cars and being off the road. Gives me the shits...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey can one of you hurry up and write off your car so that I can buy your seats? Razz

*ehehehehe runs and hides*
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, hes got a point.

but if i wrote of my car, i would transform my seat into a desk chair. electrically adjustable goodness. mmmmm
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually no, you'd be selling it to me *mwah ha* Very Happy Wink
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me about it. I'd love to get a pair of Brides but the OEM seats are too kooky!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 Dump Pipe
Price: $450.00

is this the price u guys have all payed?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 29 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uhuh.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 31 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rob, I have a spare passenger seat Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Wed, 31 August 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if you were close... Smile
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 01 September 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys i took this vid the other day for a mate that asked me to..anyway i was wondering how the acceleration of my 165 fares against other 165s and gtfours so im gonna post this in the gt4 thread aswell...anyway check it out..throw me opinions...btw the vid/audio sync is out a fair bit..i dont have any programs to fix it at the moment.

http://www.thex12.com/ctech/uploads/-=dv=-/acceler ation2.WMV

cheers
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 01 September 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I NEED URGENT HELP!!!!

i pulled my battery of my st165, moved sum shit around to fit an air intake, and now when i connect the batter back up, the hazard lights start flicking on off as if i have hit the button for them, adnd teh car wont start, it doesnt even attempt to turn over!

any ideas?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 01 September 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man thats really weird...have u checked all ur fuses and such?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 01 September 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You probably fuggered around near your fuse box. Just check all the connections to it, and also check all the fuses/relays that are in it.

This sunday I start the rebuild/blueprint process on my GT4 - I'll post up some details when I have them!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 02 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool as.

hey guys i found it it was just the alarm playing up on me, it just needed to be reset a couple of times and that was it, but i though it might ahve been something i did to the fuses to etc.

hey guys, check out the gt4 owners thread, i posted heaps of photos of my CAI i sorta made up on the spot. i think it worked out quite well indeed!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Thu, 08 September 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's happening people Razz

*bump*

Amongst other news I was way too drunk this weekend (brother's engagement party) to attempt working on cars.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poor threads dieing...i guess there just arent enuff of us 165ers to keep a thread alive....on another note for a car thats sposed to be so rare, there always seems to be a few of them for sale..and pretty cheap to...i noticed one just sold in the cars for sale forum for about 5k, and my boss was looking at buying one aswell..i dont feel special anymore Sad lol.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a posotive note, i got my altinator replaced under warrenty, and the radiator fan motor has been repaird for $200, so now i can pull the tired, slow noisy 162 fan out and put my 165 fan back in Very Happy , does any1 roughly know what sum1 would charge to move my battery to the boot or would i be better off doing it myself, ive just heard of cars burning down as a result so im a bit iffy going there.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the steering more direct on these cars. Im looking for a quick-rack type of solution but obviously no one is going to make one for these cars. My car just seems pretty dead on centre, and even off centre too now i think about it.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO -> change your wheel alignment dude, might have a bit too much toe out at the front, and maybe get your steering rack reconditioned? It could be excessive play in some of the joints as well, so maybe check those out. I wouldn't worry about quick racks and/or moving the suspension geometry around to get quicker steering.

DV -> Moving the battery into the boot is not really a massive task, just make sure that you have some breather pipe for it and a way for any acid to leak out (hopefully you won't have any problems with that!), and that you insulate the wires properly.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks RWD boy, i just asked the auto elec that reco'd my fan for a quote on moving the battery to the back and he tld me ~250 so ill prolly go with that...atleast if anything goes wrong there will be sum1 i can hold responsible...small price to pay for the piece of mind lol
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 09 September 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just make sure to triple check his work dude, and check off the things that I mentioned to ya - because I'm not really a massive fan of mechanics/sparkies and the like! My cars are dodged up enough from the work I do to 'em Laughing

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 18 September 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO....im not gonna let this thread die...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yeah id triple and quadroople check his work..but unfortunately thats not going to happen now as ive got a shaking,rattling,banging in my engine bay that sounds and feels as if my engines gonna fall out....i cant figure out wether its the bottom engine mounts (they have been gone for a while) or wether ive damaged my front suspension in some way (started happening after some very spirited cornering at 170+)...left hander i started getting a bit of a rattle and wirring so i backed off...and since she has been rattling and binging from the engine bay over bumps and such..any ideas?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 18 September 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm...not sure, in my experience the N-S engine mounts go quicker than the E-W ones as they are under more stress. At least they are easy to get to man!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 18 September 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after having a look today the front engine mount is all but non existant...absolutely no rubber left at all....is it safe to assume that the rear one will be in a similar conditon....my front right control arm bushes have also had enough and are at the point of metal on metal...so ima order some polyurathane bushes tomorrow and take care of the engine mounts in a few weeks when i can afford to
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 19 September 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of an update on my little (drawn out) project.
You can see how the vent has been molded into the bulge they have the beonnet, 205 style. Bonnet pins still to be drilled though...

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4461/1191903img6ld.th.jpg

RE the rack and suspension settings, the rack is getting replaced/re-coed as we speak due to some cop defecting me for having a loose wire to my brake lights, and i can't be fucked spending money onthe suspension settings till i have fulfulled other financial goals. Particularly seeing as i will be going with a set of 185 TEIN SS's, Whiteline adjustable rear swaybar, and 17" TE37s/P1s. Thats a big outlay in anyone's book... Sad
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 19 September 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyoto that bonnets looking sweet man, where abouts is that vent in relation to ur engine, right over the i/c or over the exhaust manifold, ect?
what have u been using to cover that monsters privates while you've been waiting for that bonnet to be done?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 19 September 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a red ST162 bonnet that they cut the under support to make it fit. The vent sits over and a fraction forward of the IC so the airflow over the vent draws the hot air from the turbo heat shield area. Thats the idea anyway. Now i just wish the Whiteline strut brace didnt hit the 205 cacth can. Will have to unbolt and relocate it somewhere when i get motivation...
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 20 September 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, i just got back from pedders and had a suspension inspection done. pretty much what i need is:

- all new Bump stops (wo922) 4 bump stops, $120 from whiteline.

- Lower control arm bushes (WO571) white line, $ 79.40

- rear Left shock absorber (1303512) whiteline 344$$

- D bushes and links pins for rear sway bar. (Btr78z) whiteline rear swaybar – $266, with D-bushes not link pins.

what i need now are:
- Radius bushes
- Left and right rack ends, right hand rack boot.

These are parts for a st165, so does any1 know if st185 parts are compatable? and what the hell are radius bushes?

im not gona see much change from $1500

MY MAIN QUESTION IS:
what parts from teh st165 are compatable or can be replaced with parts from the st162?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 20 September 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all bushes, rack ends and boots are the same between the 162 and 165, not sure on the bump stops and im pretty sure the back shocks are differnet between the 162 and 165...but im 99% sure u can use 185 rear shocks...so get in touch with toyospares..might be able to get a set of second handys that are still in 100% perfect working order, if ur budget is tight like mine anyway

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 12:50]

carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 20 September 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah im booked in for toyospares on thursday to get my drive shaft replaced ($100 includeing labour!!) damn i tell ya, i wouldnt own a toyota if i they werent around to repair it for me! im gona bring them my list of needed replacements and see what they reckon.

bumpstopes are the same just for the record, 22mm apparently.
how sure are u that the bushes are the same? cause ive looked at some lists for bushes and it seems that only some bushes fit both, but then again it doesnt say that they DONT fit both.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Tue, 20 September 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sources tell me EVERYTHING front end is the same...at the moment im using 162 rack ends, got 162 lower control arm bushes on order, 162 wheel bearings, 162 altinator, christ ive even got a 162 radiator fan lol..seems im working backwards ad slowly downgrading this thing to a 162 now that i think about it..lol

99.9% of places just dont have stuff listed for the 165s because they are an import..and they are so rare...i mean when i went to the defect centre thing they had set up to have my exhaust note measured they had a book that was supposed to have EVERY car legal for australian roads in it, import or demestic..and THEY didnt even have listings for the 165, end up going off 185 data for the exhaust volumes. but yeah if its front end..bushes,mounts, anyting cept manifolds,radiator,turbo,gearbox ect u can be pretty sure its 162 interchangable, if ur not sure, just call ur local toyota dealerships and ask them if the partnumber for the 165 part is the same as the 162 part...or if they dont want to give u the info like alot of time they dont...jump on celicatech.com and ask the american boys over there nicely to give u the part numbers for both so u can compare, they can easily get all the partnumbers from theyre local dealership without having to go thru all the crap we do and wait for the dealer to call japan and call u back and stuff.

edit-- BTW $100 to have ur cvs swapped out including parts is CRAZY cheap, i really wish i lived in melb now id never bother doing anything myself lol, i dont have what i need to do my front bushes when they come in so that gonna cost me $150 in labour + a wheel alignment Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2005 18:01]

-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well...finally got around to changing the front lower control arm bushes...as i thaught the rattling in my front end was caused by them...boy was i wrong, as the lower control arm came off...out fell the front right shock with it Shocked ...shock has punched right thru the roller plate up the top...so for the first time since ive had it...the gtfour is off the road for more than 24 hrs while i wait over the weekend for some plates to come up from melb.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey DV. is that a FMIC on ur car in the pic?
if so how much did it cost ya and what are the specs for it? id love to get some info on the Pros and cons for a FMIC on the st165.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsanactra, that 165 in my pic is photoshopped...i did it up to show a mate mine will look like next time he see's it, although after a bit of reading ive found i'd have a more efficient ic just by using a bigger free'er flowing heat exchanger for my w2a and venting my hood...so im going to go that way, itll stay a bit of a sleeper then and it wont have every wrx owner trying to race me koz i got a fooly siiiik frunt moont maite.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me go how the it goes then, cause i want to get a vent done as the heat that these engines make is massive, and i cant imagine it in 40deg heat on a got summer day in traffic!!

also the smaller W2A intercooler avoids bigger boost lag than what a frontmount has.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill let u know for sure man...it will be a fair while off though
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Subaru Liberty RS heat exchanger is a fairly nice size Wink

That whole shock absorber punching thru has happened to me before with my ST162, just went down to a wreckers and grabbed a whole new strut for about $90.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Fri, 23 September 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its pretty scary to think that my front right strut suffered a "catastrophic" failure cornering at speeds in excess of 170..im surprised im arouund to tell of it...i guess thats just a credit to gtfours....or luck...toyospares offered me 2 162 struts for $75 each...considering my struts are still excellent in condition apart from that...and 162 struts are supposedly alot softer..i asked them to seperate the struts and just send the plates for me...to cut down on postage.

as for the heat exchanger, a mate of mine suggested having the big ole AC rad/heat exchanger majiggy converted to do the job..considering i want to ditch the ac anyway this sounds like a capitol idea if possible. just out of interest, what would one expect to pay for a liberty heat exchanger?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 24 September 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno - i think i paid about $300 or thereabout for heat exchanger + water pump + intercooler core (I have a use for the pump and intercooler core on another project)...i think about $100 for a heat exchanger is about right, but then obviously an AC core would be cheaper!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 24 September 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where abouts does the heat exchanger sit in a st165?
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 24 September 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a tiny little radiator looking thing infront of the AC core, sorta beside,behindish the left headlight...tiny little pissy thing
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 24 September 2005 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello ppls!!!
finally found someone with the same passion as i do!!! details of my car:

1988 gt4 st165
-front mount intercooler
-k&n air filter
-boost controller with turbosmart stage2 fuel cut defender
-safc2
-full custom exhaust
-boost gauge
and i think thats about it... Smile

but also i have a problem... i need to know if a front passanger drive shaft off a st185 will fit into my car. the "hublock" snaped off, and i think that the only way is to change the driveshaft completely while im at it. or do u reckon just changing the cv-joints will fix the problem, cause that part is joint to the cv-joint. i dunno ay, can u plese help??? really appreciate it.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sat, 24 September 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to the fold man, i *think* 185 drive shafts might fight...im also very sure u can use 205 shafts...but ill have to look into it some for u, unfortunately its sort of almost impossible to find parts for our cars Sad, u might want to give toyospares in melb a call to, theyre usually pretty good for second hand parts, or telling ya what else can do the job for ya...cheers
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 25 September 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey thanks for ur reply!! yeah its true that how its very hard to find parts for my car... just put it this way, i literally rang every single wrecker and mechanic in WA and there is no one who can help me!Very Happy and no i am not kidding!! so if u can help me in anyways i really appreciate it!!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 25 September 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to get my driveshafts done at toyospares tomorrow (both of em Sad ).

so ill ask them and let u all know.

as for the new kid on the block, POST SOME PICS OF THAT FMIC my good man! do u have any dyno results yet? do u find it made much of a difference to the performance? how much did it cost ya,? what are the specs etc?
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Sun, 25 September 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i havent got any pics of my fmic yet. its too hard to take pics cause the way that i am building my car is it to be a sleeper. im trying to make my front mount less obvious as possible (to attract less attention from cops), but still getting the optimum air flow for it. i tried to dyno my car, but the driveshafts gave up on me just as my mechanic put it on the dyno. very disappointed. anyway i will give u the details as soon as i fix my driveshafts, cause i am gonna go 1 bar boost and will be doing that on the dyno.

and how do u put attachments on the page? Sad and i am serious i dun know how to do it!! pls help..... Smile
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 26 September 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went to toyospares today, but they were fully booked so i didnt get to ask about the driveshafts. hopefully tomorrow they reckon.

the front desk guy trevor isnt really a world of help, so gota wait to speak to matt about it.
gen_gt4
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ST165 owners dedicated thread! Mon, 26 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous message
before: (cost me a yellow sticker)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_15103898/GTFOUR/old+setup.jpg?bcsi7NDBRfFd4UJ0

After: (look carefully, esp at grill area Very Happy)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_15103898/GTFOUR/IMG_4014.jpg?bcsi7NDBuXnRviL5

pipework:
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_15103898/GTFOUR/IMG_4013.jpg?bcsi7NDBTjXIx3AA

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 08:48]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hey grant you around these days
Next Topic:Opinions - Scam or for real????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 09:28:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010730028152466 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.