Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Best mobile phone service provider?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 12:11 Go to next message
So who has the best coverage/price/less dropouts?

So we have:

Telstra
Telstra CDMA
Optus
Vodafone
Orange/3
Satelitte

I personally like the Orange CDMA but it is only limited to use around Sydney and Melbourne, otherwise it switches to Telstra and costs more. Calls dont drop out but, and its pretty cheap!

Whats your thoughts . . . .
  Send a private message to this user    
DEA-L3R
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vodafone is very good with the pre paid deals
soarerchic
Regular

January 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about the best, but I've been with Optus for years and never had a problem (great I've probably jinxed myself now)
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After 3 years I got sick of crappy Optus reception. Switched to Vodaphone and couldn't be happier - 2 years and counting.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a new motorola flip fone that handles both gsm and cdma and why not have the best of both worlds Smile
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hate Optus wish a passion most people wouldn't understand
Started with Telstra...and now i'm back....and couldnt be happier with service, coverage and reliability
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vodafones cap plans are the way to go!
Since I went on one of these plans I have never looked back... laziness has never been so cost effective!
e.g.
-Need to find a phone number??? just phone 123 and get connected!
-Lost somewhere or just couldn't be f'cked trying to find the street directory? Phone 123 and ask for directions!
-Need to access the internet but couldn't be stuffed getting off the couch? Rip your pocket PC out of your jacket and connect via bluetooth!
-Sick of telemarketers from Amex, Telstra, Citibank etc. calling you all the time? Give them all your home number and then leave the thing unplugged all the time... you don't need a homephone anymore anyway... just means you have to get off the couch to answer it... and it might not even be for you!

If only mobile phones had GPS... then you could phone 123 and get directions even when you're so wasted you wouldn't have a chance in hell at reading a street sign!
DEA-L3R
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 00:23

If only mobile phones had GPS... then you could phone 123 and get directions even when you're so wasted you wouldn't have a chance in hell at reading a street sign!

Laughing Laughing
74ROLLA
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 23:52

buy a new motorola flip fone that handles both gsm and cdma and why not have the best of both worlds Smile

Fck, didn't even know that existed! Is that with the same phone number??
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 24 July 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get more covarege with optus at wollongong than with vodafone or 3 Wink
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 25 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been with Optus for 4 years, using prepaid for a year now though.
Looking to get new, better and cheaper pre paid plans.
Any recommendations?
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 25 July 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 00:23

Since I went on one of these plans I have never looked back... laziness has never been so cost effective!
e.g.
-Lost somewhere or just couldn't be f'cked trying to find the street directory? Phone 123 and ask for directions!
-Need to access the internet but couldn't be stuffed getting off the couch? Rip your pocket PC out of your jacket and connect via bluetooth!
-Sick of telemarketers from Amex, Telstra, Citibank etc. calling you all the time? Give them all your home number and then leave the thing unplugged all the time... you don't need a homephone anymore anyway... just means you have to get off the couch to answer it... and it might not even be for you!

Hey dude, what is the approximate costs on these Voadfone caps?

Whats reception like around Sydney, both metro and regional?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 25 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reception is unbeatable - that's why I switched to them.

As for plans, I'm on 79/month, and I get $500/month worth of calls for that.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 25 July 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure actually
id like to fidn otu ymself as it will probably be ym next fone
all it is is code really to decode incoming and outgoing info from ym understanding so i dont understand why this ahsnt been done before beyond oranges approach which is b grade at best compared to the other networks
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 25 July 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had optus for ages and im hell happy with it, but the only reason i dont change is cause i dont want a new number
DEA-L3R
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 20:54

ive had optus for ages and im hell happy with it, but the only reason i dont change is cause i dont want a new number

just buy a voda red sim and you can keep your old number
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need a new number if you change providers you can keep your old one, doesnt make a difference its its a plan number or prepaid, it can be taken to any provider. any salesperson who tells you otherwise is probably just being lazy.

as far as the best, go around to a few shops and get the prices for what you are interested in, dont get bedazzled by the phones, nd subsequently suckered into the sale. instead, concentrate on the plans, then think about which phone are on which plans, and go from there.

as far as reception, i have always heard 3g is shit. orange are cdma, so they are suited for rural suburbs and towns, and all the gsms (optus, telstra, vodafone) seem pretty much on par these days. i never have problems with my optus service, but there are always going to be drop out spots for every service provider.

for prices, B Shop do the best normal plan prices;

phones on a $33 plan from B shop - sony ericsson k750i, nokia 6230i, samsung d500, motorola V3+bluetooth headset+ipod shuffle.

but with cap plans, optus seem to be the most competitive -

handset repayments on cap plans - $10 V3, $15 k750i.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Started with Optus - had crap reception
Went to Vodafone - got better reception but bad on highway and rural areas
Went to Telstra - got excellent reception just about everywhere.

Wish calls didn't cost so much though Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't get it i have great reception with optus infact, when we have gone on holidays mine and my sisters optus phones had ten times better coverage than my dads telstra phone everywhere we went, one place inparticular Great ocean road, telstra zero coverage, optus perfect.
Oh and as for vodafone its shit too my sis and mum now have it and on random nights there coverage just drops out and they can't call anyone.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i work for optus so i'm not going to bother saying who i think has the best reception. what i will tell you is that telstra has the only CDMA network in australia. orange and optus both rent thier lines. its a bit similar to how B, Virgin and sim plus rent the optus digital network.

on a side note i've been with optus for around 6 years and haven't had any real issues with coverage. just been lucky i spose. no matter which carrier you go with there will always be places that you won't get reception.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you do for optus?

so virgin DO use the optus network. i thought they did, but i was told they dont(some stupid know-all fuck). does that mean you can call virgin customers on 'yes time' and it will still be free?
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm with mobile customer care. so basically i have people going ape at me most of the day over the most petty things.

not 100% sure how that'd work... seeing as the promo states "call any other 'optus' mobile from 8pm-midnight for free for the first 20 mins" i'd assume it would be since they are both essentially on the same network.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well you can call b customers under yes time, because b offer optus to optus promotions. i was just told that virgin are different, guess not.

yeah, i would imagine you get alot of unhappy customers, especially after they have been waiting on the phone for a while. im a sales rep, and when people call you guys to get their account numbers for a port, they are usually quite huffed and puffed by the time you give it to them, coz theve been waiting for so long Razz .

how many people do you have working at any one time in the call centre usually?
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Vodafone and have never really had any major issues... Gives me coverage everywhere I go...
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B uses the lines of Optus, B wouldnt be classified as a Line service, but a reseller of mobile phones and optus services.
I was with B, it's the crappiest call rates ever.
I joined a $30 plan a few years ago, $0.60 per 30 seconds!!
I think it still is the same rate. The higher the monthly cost the lower the call rate, and vice versa..
So mine was the lower plan, 0.60 per 30 seconds!!

Never go with B, the monthly plan is tempting and cheap.. but look further into the call rates!!!! They are as hell expensive.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and to add to that, my current optus prepaid reception sucks big cocks!
Need better!!!!!!!!
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, as the b call raes are about 1 cent cheaper than optus on their corresponding plan, ie optus rate on a 55 plan - 27c per 30 sec, b call rate on a 55 plan - 26c per 30 sec. both have 25c flagfall. telstra are pretty much the same too.

and the call rate on the 33 plan is 43c, not 60, tard.

http://www7.optus.com.au/shop/featurepopup?theID=r ates

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/mobiles/prices/pl ans.htm#4

https://www.bdigital.com.au/bweb/html/shopping/cal l_plan.html?planID=679

[Updated on: Tue, 26 July 2005 12:12]

RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said, I'm not sure if the prices are the same when I was with B.
And it says I was with B back a while ago.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Tue, 26 July 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough, maybe just make sure that you arent giving people an uninformed, yet confident, opinion next time ay?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Wed, 27 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i am gonna get a phone this weekend any suggestions i don't really use my phone and am only getting one to get a credit rating for when i need a car loan.
I am looking at 15-20 a month so atm its between the Nokia 6610i and Motorola V220 on a 15 dollar a month virgin plan.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Wed, 27 July 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Launching into the B debate.... I'm on my second B contract (first was $15/month, now $22/month). My call rates aren't exactly competitive but the majority of my calls are "yes time" to Optus mobiles. And when I have a problem I get great customer service Smile

Quick question.... with 3, when you're not in a 3g reception area, does it revert to Telstra?
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Wed, 27 July 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tats wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 15:58

Launching into the B debate.... I'm on my second B contract (first was $15/month, now $22/month). My call rates aren't exactly competitive but the majority of my calls are "yes time" to Optus mobiles. And when I have a problem I get great customer service Smile

Quick question.... with 3, when you're not in a 3g reception area, does it revert to Telstra?

i think 3 does roam on the telstra network.

and with the b call rates thing, i posted the call rate tables, so oyu can see how each company compares to the other on an equivalent plan. i couldnt easily find 3 or vodafone, so i gave up.

whats this new cdma/gsm phone. id be interested to find out.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Wed, 27 July 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been with Optus and never changed or even thought of changing. I always get great reception wherever I am, even out in Oberon lol.

Freetime is the bomb. Get all your mates to get optus prepaid and then abuse freetime Smile
meeves
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Thu, 28 July 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was with virgin but swapped to vodafone coz virgin stuffed me around a lot and i got over it but now with vodafone i get more reception at my house better rates and im now doing this -> Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Thu, 28 July 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like southern cross telco.
they give you all the advantages of a plan but no contract !
and their bills are cool aswell
tadpole
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Thu, 28 July 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Tue, 26 July 2005 19:05

what do you do for optus?

so virgin DO use the optus network. i thought they did, but i was told they dont(some stupid know-all fuck). does that mean you can call virgin customers on 'yes time' and it will still be free?

where abouts in MCC are you? chatswood, gordon?

I'm in MCC aswell.. just gone into the dev team
its pretty sweet so far
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Thu, 28 July 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mcc? i dont know what you're talking about dude.
????
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Fri, 29 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

e.g.

toobs i couldnt agree more i am so damn lazy now... i dont even get up to get my home phone... just get the mobile out sit on my arse and call who ever, technology and costs are going to get me fat, but i like it! LOL vodafone call cap $79 for $500 of calls its seems like i am ripping them off somehow LOL.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Fri, 29 July 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess they are willing to give you 500 bucks worth of calls if they are GUARANTEED your $79.

do you only get included calls? some caps include sms, mms, voicemail, basically eveything except jamster-style downloads and 1900 numbers.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Fri, 29 July 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got rid of the home phone ($39- month + calls, ave $80) plus we were paying for the mobiles.

Got the $79 cap with vodaphone, been with for 7 years originating corporate cust as friend used to be a corp salesman. Never looked back. We average $350 to $400 per month each, use willy nilly and never gone over. I even use it for work, from work as it save the bill there (lots of mob calls) and boss pays my bill Very Happy . Only drops out under tin roofs.
tadpole
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sat, 30 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit! my bad dude i meant to quote "finney"
I was so tired that night haha

mobile customer care, I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered typing the whole lot out, lol
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sat, 30 July 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tadpole i'm at gordon. been there since around easter. so you're in the team that just came out of training?
tadpole
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sat, 30 July 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 10:34

tadpole i'm at gordon. been there since around easter. so you're in the team that just came out of training?

yeppers sure am were starting our first "big" shifts next monday, i'm looking forward to it mmmm... penalty rates Very Happy
Pieman
Regular

February 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Sun, 31 July 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I send smoke signals
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Best mobile phone service provider? Mon, 01 August 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
Pieman wrote on Sun, 31 July 2005 21:39

I send smoke signals

ahhha, nice. i also beleive that morse code is the cheapest, and most reliable.

this thread is starting to seem like a bit of a massive advertisment... Rolling Eyes

dont listen to the propaganda. they are jus trying to sell their own product and telstra is doin it right cause most of everyhint is owned by them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone tried NOS ?
Next Topic:funniest one liners your've heard. tv or in life etc.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:59:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083918571472168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.