Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 00:35 Go to next message
guys i have a nb 1300 4+ router, i am setting up an ftp server on an XP box with sp2 i have diasabled the firewall completely i have ticked all of the ICMP's etc with in SP2 firewall so this should be diabled. But my question is:
when you try to forward ports for a passive FTP most of the ftp servers ask for about 100 ports or more, i can only forward 20 at the most ie one ftp server asks for ports like this: 1024 to 2020, so i assume that it means start at 1024 and end at 2020. What should i do here. help!
  Send a private message to this user    
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt FTP port 21? Confused
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
passive ftp we talking about, ftp is 20 and 21. sorry if it wasnt clear.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

so i assume that it means start at 1024 and end at 2020

thats correct

in your port forwarding config does it have start port and end port?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't specify a port range to forward then you need to get a new router Razz

Besides this, The Xbox is more than capable of running a non-passive ftp server. I have one running on mine in fact. What chip/dash are you running on the Xbox?

Another option is to disable network address translation entirely on the router (if you can). I wouldn't recommend this one though, as it'll undoubtably cause more problems than it fixes.

It's also a good idea to go back to basics. Can you ping the Xbox? It is leasing an IP address successfully? Are you even running a DHCP server through the router? Make sure NIS is disabled on your PC (if it's even running at all). Make sure it's not a problem with your PC's FTP client (use the DOS command "ftp" "open" etc etc). Make sure the FTP service is running problerly on the Xbox - it is disabled by default.

There's about a million different things it could be.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u culd just put the xp box in the DMZ

i run my server in the dmz coz i cant be naffed forwarding all different ports....oh i am running Mac OS X so i dont really have to worry about spyware and virus's n all that shit Razz
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, again providing the router supports it. If the router doesn't even let you supply port ranges, then chances of a demilitarised zone are slim.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not to sure but you should go and ask it at

www.aussiexbox.com.au
or
www.xboxzone.com.au

If you ask it in the forums im sure someone will know
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Tue, 26 July 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can foward ports, however i can only forward up to 20 ports no more. so for example port 1024 the most i can forward is 1044. see ths problem, is there any other way around this??
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: computer tech stuff HELP Wed, 27 July 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't got a 1300 here with me, so unfortunately I can't have a play around.

Try having a read through this (first result from google)
http://forum.people.net.au/archive/index.php/t-269 6.html

What FTP program are you trying to use and how many concurrent connections? Surely if you're not using IIS there's an FTP program out there that allows you to define what ports it can use.

Also, how many concurrent connections do you need to offer?
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: computer tech stuff HELP Wed, 27 July 2005 04:46 Go to previous message
i can mod the port numbers but i can get them down to as little as 20 with in the prgram i am using bulletproof ftp server (iis isnt that crash hot). I have just opened 20 ports in hope that ftp server will nominate these ports as the first rather then the others that i havent forwarded.
thanks for the help guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Full Lock AIR
Next Topic:ever heard of?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:00:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067200660705566 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.