Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 02:22 Go to next message
I havent been paying attention to PC technology lately.
What are the current quickest processor speeds in the Intel and AMD? Just curious..
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty sure intel is 3.4ghz
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3.2Ghz in dual core, or 3.8Ghz in single.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... er fucc.
Whats dual core and single mean?
Whats more stable or reccomended?
This is Intel ay?
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id prefer an AMD but its all up to personal preference
dual core means its kinda like fitting 2 CPUs into one
definately getting a nice A64 x2 4400 in a few weeks time Very Happy
fuck looking for a sprinter for now i want an r31 and a decent computer Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's so easy to market 'GHz' as processor 'speed', but it's a seriously poor indicator of performance.

I personally prefer the AMD64 range (FX range in particular) over the Intel chips. To be honest I haven't been clued in much in the last few months, but Intel dropped the ball big-time a while back when it switched to the smaller manufacturing process (is it down to 9 microns?). To top it off, Intel are probably switching to a 64-bit architecture similar to the AMD chips (x86-64) as opposed to what I think was a much better idea (IA-64).
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really the quesiton should of been phrased as how fast do you want to spend for your processor
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 13:14

It's so easy to market 'GHz' as processor 'speed', but it's a seriously poor indicator of performance.

I personally prefer the AMD64 range (FX range in particular) over the Intel chips. To be honest I haven't been clued in much in the last few months, but Intel dropped the ball big-time a while back when it switched to the smaller manufacturing process (is it down to 9 microns?). To top it off, Intel are probably switching to a 64-bit architecture similar to the AMD chips (x86-64) as opposed to what I think was a much better idea (IA-64).

those dolthan core p4's that run only at like 2.4ghz with an asus adapter to run them in an ATX motherboard outperform the latest extreme editions, don't they?

then again, so does my housemate's socket 939 AMD64 3200+...

overclocking is your friend...

as for me, i've got a lowly socket 754 sempron 3100+.

get's the job done though.

It plays battlefield 2 and thats what counts.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 13:24

not bad my 2500 seems to run it fine too
all depends what you wanna use the system for no_tofu_speed
i think the real hardpart if your lookin into games is a decent vid card (the most expensive and most often the quickest part of a comptuer to depreciate)
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lench wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 14:17

Merudo wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 13:24

not bad my 2500 seems to run it fine too
all depends what you wanna use the system for no_tofu_speed
i think the real hardpart if your lookin into games is a decent vid card (the most expensive and most often the quickest part of a comptuer to depreciate)

the socket 754 semprons (like mine) are more efficient and have an on-die memory controller as opposed to the socket A ones... and that combined with 1gb of DDR400 and my radeon 9600XT 128mb 2.5ns is nowhere near a beast of a system, but can still run BF2 on 'high' at 1024x768.

good enough for me. Wink
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that will do me nicely actually Laughing
but i gotta smack a wad of cash down on a high end one(ive been saving for one for about 3 years now)
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Athlon 64 is the way to go if you want bang for your buck Smile

That said I have a 3Ghz P4 system for my games machine. Just a 256MB Radeon 9600XT as my video card, plays Doom3 fine.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really buying one right now, just curious where technology is upto and what peoples thoughts were...
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quad itainiums 2's
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well I just fixed an old Intel 8080 CPU system today. It flies along at 2.5Mhz and it's now running 16K of RAM and 8K of ROM.

Tomorrow I'll have a crack at expanding one of my Motorola 6800 systems. This thing is a beast.... it runs at 866Khz and has 512bytes of RAM and 1K or ROM. I'm gonna double the RAM to 1K!!!

seeyuzz
river

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got:
P4 2.4GHz (800mhz fsb)
1gb DDR PC3200 RAM
with an FX5200 (128mb)

I can't run anything on high Sad
I can't run NFSU2 on medium settings at 800x600 or even low settings because it lags too much.
In order for it to run at a playable fps I've got to get rid of fog and all that and change graphics quality on the card to performance and play at like 2x anisotropic filtering and 2x antialiasing.

Definitely need a video card upgrade Sad
Haven't been clued in lately either. What do you guys recommend? Between 200 and 300 dollars. What's the go with PCI express?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 19:33

Haven't been clued in lately either. What do you guys recommend? Between 200 and 300 dollars. What's the go with PCI express?

something like this Wink :
http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_D-S-96XT_proddesc_ATI-S apphire_Atlantis_Radeon_9600XT_256M_DDR_w_3_games. html
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pfft, you think you boys have slow processors, mine is an athlon 1800+! Laughing

...with 768MB RAM

...and a radeon 9600XT 128MB Razz
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe and i have a 486 with 12mb of ram, the best door stop in the world, it can run Solitaire in true colour Shocked ........ Laughing .
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 22:03

hehe and i have a 486 with 12mb of ram, the best door stop in the world, it can run Solitaire in true colour Shocked ........ Laughing .

yeah, but this is my main computer Razz

gonna need to upgrade it a fair bit for oblivion Wink
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are gaming save your money on the chip and spend it on video card. By save money I mean stick to something like a 3000-3200 Athlon 64 or even a Sempron 3100.

Suss out benchmarks for different cards, ignore 3D Mark tests its just like a dyno, just gives you a number but won't really have much to do with how fast it can go in a gaming situation.

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 21:14

thu187 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 19:33

http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_D-S-96XT_proddesc_ATI-S apphire_Atlantis_Radeon_9600XT_256M_DDR_w_3_games. html

Hey that's a lot cheaper than I expected!

I'd have to agree with major cloud. A lot of people have slow CPU's and less RAM than me, yet games still perform waaay better on their computers.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest, overclocking isn't really worth it. Unless you want to chase after 3DMarks or something equally useless. Generally speaking architecture, layout and the feature-set is what really separates one CPU or system from another.

For example, overclocking an ATI 9600XT to be as fast as a 9800XT generally won't produce the same result, and will be far less stable.

Also alot of motherboards claim to be great for overclocking, but actually suck ass. So don't get sucked in, usually you'll overclock the bus speed, not the multiplier in the CPU - resulting in overclocked RAM which generally fucks up real fast.

To top it off, alot of 'aftermarket' CPU coolers and the like are made in Timbuktu, and are really poor. The last thing you want is a dodgy wiring connection to cut power to the CPU fan. Doesn't matter how much fully sik arctic silver thermal compound you've got on - you'll shorten the CPU life considerably.

One thing you might want to consider before upgrading is the impending move to 'BTX' motherboards (well last I checked it was impending!)
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 21:14

Thats the video card I'm putting in all the PCs at the LAN shop. I had a pic of 16 of them in the back of the troopy. I'll have to find it. They're a great card, even better with a nforce2,3,4 mobo.

RRP on that is $209. Not sure why they're charging $242.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Wed, 27 July 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 00:43

I'd have to agree with major cloud. A lot of people have slow CPU's and less RAM than me, yet games still perform waaay better on their computers.

yeah, i was surprised at how well it runs morrowind with an 1800+ Surprised

but yeah, ill just be upgrading to a midrange 64bit processor and ddr2 ram
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Thu, 28 July 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AMD all the way...

I realized a few months back, that I am still yet to see a game that requires any more than 1Ghz to play it! Meaning the hardware is there, but they still havent found enough shit to utilize it with yet.

Anyway yeah I have the trusty old Athlon XP 2600+ overclocked to 3000+ and an FX5500 256MB Gfx card and I havent had too many problems with games as yet... Although I'd kill to get an x800XT Very Happy

Anyway in answer to your question, the latest processor out on each side is:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ DualCore = $1,468.50
Intel Pentium 4 3.8Ghz SingleCore = $1,249.60

Obviously AMD are staying well ahead of intel at the moment...

Kev.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Thu, 28 July 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte -> Far Cry eats the CPU alive sometimes.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 00:56

To be honest, overclocking isn't really worth it. Unless you want to chase after 3DMarks or something equally useless. Generally speaking architecture, layout and the feature-set is what really separates one CPU or system from another.

For example, overclocking an ATI 9600XT to be as fast as a 9800XT generally won't produce the same result, and will be far less stable.

Also alot of motherboards claim to be great for overclocking, but actually suck ass. So don't get sucked in, usually you'll overclock the bus speed, not the multiplier in the CPU - resulting in overclocked RAM which generally fucks up real fast.

To top it off, alot of 'aftermarket' CPU coolers and the like are made in Timbuktu, and are really poor. The last thing you want is a dodgy wiring connection to cut power to the CPU fan. Doesn't matter how much fully sik arctic silver thermal compound you've got on - you'll shorten the CPU life considerably.

One thing you might want to consider before upgrading is the impending move to 'BTX' motherboards (well last I checked it was impending!)

This is true.

However, my housemate's multiplier unlocked AMD64 3200+ certainly hammers along, beating my other housemates EE P4 by a decent margin when overclocked...

My next upgrade will be a 6600GT to replace my 9600XT Smile

But i'll only do that when my videocard becomes redundant, and as it stands now, i can still run any game i want, so meh!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but EE P4s aren't really anything to write home about Razz

I have a slight AMD bias - but AMD really are in a different league to intel chips atm.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you check here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html
And here:
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/index.ph p

You'll see a familiar theme of AMD 0wnz0rz Intel.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 13:20

If you check here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html
And here:
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/index.ph p

You'll see a familiar theme of AMD 0wnz0rz Intel.

is it complete with 'teh 0wnz0rz" leetspeak?

w3rd.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i fitted a laptop in my sprinter once... P1 133 with 32mb of ram, 1.2gig HDD, 11" LCD Shocked was able to play like 10 mp3s on winamp running 98SE Rolling Eyes Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 13:36

i fitted a laptop in my sprinter once... P1 133 with 32mb of ram, 1.2gig HDD, 11" LCD Shocked was able to play like 10 mp3s on winamp running 98SE Rolling Eyes Razz

that sounds almost identical to the old school laptop i've got.

except it is sitting in its laptop bag waiting for when or if i get an aftermarket ecu.

dont know what much else you'd use it for Laughing
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Fri, 29 July 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
C&C and warcraft Shocked
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: PC: Current quickest processor Sat, 30 July 2005 23:30 Go to previous message
AMD Athlon 64 4800+ Toledo Core = the new hotness.

Sadly it's $1350, and that's ex-tax direct from the overseas supplier Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:NZ here I come !
Next Topic:favourite simpsons episode
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:04:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080220699310303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.