Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Toyota Avensis Sun, 15 December 2002 08:27 Go to next message
So Toyota have created a new car. Let's have a look.
http://www.avensis.toyota.com.au
At 110Kw 192Nm, it probably gets moving pretty well. But at $40000+, probably not the choice car for any of us. White goods on wheels I reckon. No maual transmission either! Family car...yuk. Confused
Wonder what it'd go like lowered 2", exhaust replaced and an intercooled turbo bolted on to it!
What are your opinions about this car. And do you guys reckon Toyota are going downhill in their new car market? I do. Their imports are the bomb, but Aust's cars are seeming very generic recently to me.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 December 2002 08:30]

Send a private message to this user    
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Toyota Avensis Sun, 15 December 2002 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are looking at changing that. they are gearing up to start trying to apeal to the younger market
msbhvn
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Sun, 15 December 2002 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this will obviously start with the introduction of the corolla with the celica engine and gearbox due to arrive soon. I cant wait as i am thinking of buying one!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Toyota Avensis Sun, 15 December 2002 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw one of these on the road last week. Didn't look half bad.

That price is about right for a small people mover...
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Mon, 16 December 2002 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After driving one of these, I can confirm that they are not designed to appeal to any member of this list.

Unless someone really likes cushy beige armchairs.

I don't even know that the new corolla will be THAT exciting. The new celicas really aren't anything special, apart from maybe a slight rethink on the philosophy behind the vehicle.

The Avenesis should've been the Caldina, and the Avalon should have been the Mark II.
doug
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Toyota Avensis Tue, 17 December 2002 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the site it has a 3d shockwave thing of inside the car.. you can see it has the automatic shifter on the steering column. This reminded me back at the motorshow, I hopped into a Prius to take a look around and it had a similar looking setup to the Avensis.. but there was one thing I couldnt seem to figure out.
Where the hell have they hidden reverse gear?!

Not that I really care anyway, as I'm not switching from manual to auto anytime soon Razz
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Tue, 17 December 2002 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reverse in the Avensis is on the column shifter... Under 'Park' and above 'Neutral' and then 'drive', '2nd' and finally '1st'...

Not too hard to figure out eh???

They are basically mini Tarago's... If you have a look at the interior, they are very similar to a Tarago... The dash and the interior looks all the same, just in miniture format...
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Thu, 19 December 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jase wrote on Mon, 16 December 2002 11:38

The Avenesis should've been the Caldina, and the Avalon should have been the Mark II.

What? are you nuts? what a waste of a good name. It's just as bad as calling the Corolla Levin a Levin just because the marketing people wanted it to. In case you are wondering, the Japanese name for the Avensis Verso is the Ipsum... it is also called the Picnic in some countries too.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Toyota Avensis Thu, 19 December 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err... I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean the name... He meant the cars......
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Thu, 19 December 2002 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i hear form my local toyota service guy - the new celicas gunna have the punch to go toe to toe with the Teggy type R - Somehting about the next generation VVtli 1.8 litre motor or something

Toyota know this is where they lack - the celicas 3 years old now - technology is old - but it still can handle near as good as the teggy - with a less bone jarring crunching ride..

Give them time

Maybe if they had the balls - they will bring back the GT4 - a rex killer - thats where the market is now - not hot hatches
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Thu, 19 December 2002 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone else get sick of the Constant Blasphemy of today's marketing? I'm sad to say, Toyota is guilty too ... ffs! the corolla is NOT a SPORTS CAR! faaaaaaark!
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Fri, 20 December 2002 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah tofu, Narks right, I meant the cars not just the name.

Be interesting to see if the next "real" Toyota performance car would actually be a Toyota, I mean they might put an L on it?

The Scion brand is also set to be used in America, so maybe we could see that happening here.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Avensis Fri, 20 December 2002 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, if they whacked a turbo on that quite nice 1.8L engine, maybe take it up to 2.0L ... then make the new celica 4wd... there's a real sports car! most people's biggest issue with the new celica is it's fwd... it has good power for 1.8n/a .. they should definitly make it into a gt-4.
and offer a turbo option on the new mr2
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Avensis Sat, 21 December 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That new 1.8 is nowhere near as strong as the 4ag and 3sg 4 cyl's.

They are designed to be light, but don't have the strength of the old blocks. I can't see any SERIOUS power being gotten out of them.
doug
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: Toyota Avensis Sun, 22 December 2002 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slightly off the original topic here.. but does anyone actually know much about Neal Bates' prototype Corolla? What I've heard is that he's got a current model one in hatch form and has replaced all the running gear with that of a GT4's.. anyone got any more detailed info on this car?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Toyota Avensis Sun, 22 December 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. GT-Four running gear from the old ST205.
They had to widen the thing a bit to fit the drivetrain. The rear suspension pickup points on the chassis are totally custom fabricated.

The latest issue of Speed has an article on it. But if you talk to m1k3yz, he'll tell you that they have a lot of it wrong....
[mikey]
Regular

May 2002

Re: Toyota Avensis Mon, 23 December 2002 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish speed would do their research...

Its a ZE125 corolla shell and tahts about it...it runs complete GT4 running gear front to back, most of the chassis has been modified, especially the rear end, being beam axle meant they had to fab up strut towers and mounts for the sub frame, which are integrated into the roll cage believe it or not, this is to cure the lack of rigidity a fwd generally has the rearr.

The tunnel has been opened out, and front end modified in quite a lot of places, Id scarely say its a Corolla anymore, besides the shell heheh. Its a very nice car to see, and to examine it closely well its an engineering master piece. Neal and the team did a fantastic job...and if you're lucky there will be more of these floating around soon enough. A second one is being built, and might be finished by now! =]

The corolla will be out in full force next season, they had to get papers and crap sorted this year and lots of testing/setting up done. But I can tell you now its looking very good indeed, and what speed quoted about power/torque is totally wrong =] Take my word for it, power isnt that high, and torque skyrockets past that std figure =]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Toyota Avensis Thu, 02 January 2003 01:33 Go to previous message
Stumbled upon a review on the Avensis if anyone is interested...

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/reviews/reviewstory .asp?ID=3932
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:First post of 2003
Next Topic:Codecs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 21:23:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046060085296631 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.