Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » respray in the same colour?? price?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 31 July 2005 09:54 Go to next message
hi,
i know theres a million "how much for a respray" threads, but i wanna know how much a respray generally costs if you want to get your car sprayed the same colour? so that you dont have to get the engine bay, and door wells, and all the bits that dont show when the bonnet, boot, and doors are closed.

i am thinking about getting mine resprayed in a different hue to my curent colour. currently, my car is dark red, but it loosk copper every now an then, in different light. i want to respray a similar, but deeper red (maybe candy red???), without this weird copper colour. i put a pic down the bottom of the colours my car sometimes looks.

i imagine it would be cheaper, because they dont have to pull everything apart, am i right? has anyone had it done? did it still cost a few thousand, like a full respray?

thanks
Will

its never consistently one colour Razz, and yes, i bought a rex Evil or Very Mad my00, apr 2000 model for those of you who were wondering. mostly standard for now, just has a cat back zorst, boost controller & boost gauge (still set at standard, maybe 15psi sometimes), k&n panel filter and quiktrak alarm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/biggwilliestyle/P1010093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/biggwilliestyle/Photo-0064.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/biggwilliestyle/wrx_red1.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 31 July 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some painters wont want to do this for you because they consider it to be dodgey.. cant see why it wouldnt be cheraper than a full respray.
less work = less money.
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 31 July 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*gasp* Shocked

but thats one of the most beautiful colour's ive seen...ooh how i love red mica Very Happy

nice looking rex btw.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 31 July 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It obviously doesnt cost as much as a bare metal respray, it depends on the type of paint you want ie. metallic, 2pac etc.
theres still a bit of work to do with a basic respray like this (mainly prep and removal/reinstalling of panels)

It realy depends on where you go, you could get out of it for around $1500 if your lucky, or up to around $3000.

cheers
chris
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 31 July 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why must they remove panels? ive seen alot of episodes of "rides" on discovery channel, and i always see them spraying the panels ON the car, with paper, or something similar covering the windows, wheels, and anything that doesnt need to be painted. same with "pimp my ride".
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Mon, 01 August 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They don't need to remove all panels, but at least all the trim, most likely the interior, all rubber seals, removable glass, lights etc. About the only thing I could imagine them maybe NOT removing is the windscreens.

The panels still get painted on the car, but the difference of spraying inside all the doorwells is very minor as they usually get done last anyway once all the main panels are done. It's unlikely a panel beater would want to do it any other way for you. There's such a minor difference in the prep work needed to draw the line between a dodgy job, and one done properly.

Probably the best thing you could do to get an idea would be to drop into a few panel beaters and see if they can give you a quote, that way they can check out the condition of the current paintwork, know the colour, and be able to get you a fairly accurate price. Try a few out as you're likely to get different opinions!
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Tue, 02 August 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talked to the boss for ya today mate,
he still reckons its gonna be a fair bit. alot of labour in taking out windows rubber etc, maskin up, sanding, blocking, spraying, buffing... finishing.
i asked him around about how much to respray a car in the same colour.. about 5k at his shop (has a good name) but should be able to get it cheaper somwhere else.
if i was you id do it in a garage somehwere myself. its not that hard just make sure you mix paint to the exact requirements, mask with a soft edge where need be, and get as much advice about the type of paint and finish you want before hand.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sat, 06 August 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Dale & BOCKA both said there is still quite a bit involved in a same colour respray. I'm a Panel Beater and i'll give you a basic rundown on how we used to do them.

* Front and rear screens, stay in, moulds come off.
* All door trims off, door handles & locks out, all moulds off, mirrors are removed.
* Bumpers are off and stripped of all lights, grille/mesh.
* Bonnet is stripped of all vents and scoops, washer jets etc.
* Boot lid is stripped of all spoilers, locks and badges, the spoiler is also stripped.
* All mouldings are removed from around door shuts and sill panels.
* tail lights are removed.

Once the car is stripped down, basically to a shell (except for the inside), then it gets rubbed down, with either wet & dry or a flatening paste, which dulld off the paint. Then the pain in the rear part. MASKING UP. everything gets masked up, so no overspray gets inside. All bars, spoilers, vents, scoops and door handles are stipped, rubbed down, and painted seperately from the rest of the car. Then once the car is done, it goes in, gets painted and dried in the boothe. Then it get cut and buffed (if needed) and then it gets put back together again, cleaned, washed and then polished. All finished. As far as time is concerned, you will be without a car for atleast a week.

Price will vary from place to place. Because you also want to play with the colour aswell, there will be a bit of cost here aswell. There is a lot of costs involved in doing this.
Some are: Boothe hire, materials used (e.g paint, clear, tape, thinners, prepsol, etc), and ofcourse labour. Then you have to buy your own Badges (if wanted).

I think you will be possibly be looking between anywhere from $2-3k upto as high as $7k. It's an expensive excerise. If i was you, i would take a good look at the car and your bank balance and ask yourself, does it really need a respray ?

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: respray in the same colour?? price? Sun, 07 August 2005 00:56 Go to previous message
Hi,

I got quotes around the $6k mark for respray in same colour - no engine bay, no inside doors, etc.

Maybe you could get it done for a little less but anyhting too cheap will look cheap and won't last the distance.

In the end it depends upon how much you want it, how much cash you have and how much you think the car is worth it.

seeyuzz
river
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Possibility of a loan on centerlink payouts
Next Topic:PC Help: San Andreas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:54:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059521198272705 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.