Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bored
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Toymods wiki Sat, 06 August 2005 23:11 Go to next message
I often see messages where people say "this is great info, someone should write up an faq with this stuff in it".

There is also a general tendency for useful information to get lost in the noise on the forums, so that the same questions get asked over and over again.

Rather than getting people to write FAQ's, why doesn't toymods start a wiki, and just ask people to add the little tidbits as they come up on the forums. That way in theory we can get fewer and fewer repeated questions, and a damn useful body of information for anyone into toyotas or even car modifications in general.

Most of the information in the articles section could live happily in a wiki, and it would give the added advantage of being easy for everyone to update if something is wrong. (And there is an edit history, so if some idiot messes it up, you can back his changes out).
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toymods wiki Thu, 11 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm actually working on something very similar, although progress has been rather slow lately. Sad
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toymods wiki Thu, 11 August 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im sorry, but for the nerdly-challenged... wtf is a "wiki"??

I'm building some dodgy pages on my even dodgier website to cover the information i have collected over the years... but like Norbie, i am rather slow atm.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toymods wiki Thu, 11 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One word...BRILLIANT! Seriously though, good idea.

Here is a start for you Karl: http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toymods wiki Sat, 20 August 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this would be a great idea, one of the best ways to keep a heap of toyota related information in one place Smile
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Toymods wiki Tue, 15 November 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a massive fan of the Wiki, and think it would be a great asset to toymods. A forum is a great place for discussion, but it's a long process to weed through the bazillion posts of the likes of forumgod99 to find fact.

A wiki would allow toymodders to put in information and if it needs a bit of 'touching up', then a more knowledgable person can add to the article, or redo the article completely. And that can be done a million times until the final article is the complete truth that everybody agrees on.

A fantastic example is the wikipedia, that's right, an encyclopedia that everybody contributes to. For all in doubt on how well they work, have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. And remember, if you find something wrong on there, click 'edit' and fix it Smiley =

I put my vote in for wiki.toymods.net !!!!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toymods wiki Wed, 16 November 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds cool. How would you get around idiots just deleting large sections of usefull information though? Does it all go through an approval process?

Otherwise you could tie it in to the new toymods forums authorised to post user system. If they can post, they can edit the toywiki. Or perhaps a seperate approval system? I dunno.
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: Toymods wiki Mon, 28 November 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A toymods wiki would be the single greatest thing ever. I love wikipedia, its amazing, there is stacks of info on wikipedia about different toyota engines which can be useful to those who don't know too much. to stop people from deleting stuff you have a list of all the changes made to an article. if someone doesn't agree with a change they could always go back and undo it. there is also a discussion segment attached to each page so you can disucss changes if someone doesn't agree. I dont know what you all think about it but we could just start pages on wikipedia about each topic. I guess if wikipedia dont like it they can get rid of it but if the info on it is useful then they wont.

can't wait to hear more about it.

a wiki-fan
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toymods wiki Mon, 28 November 2005 10:29 Go to previous message
wiki is great...

except when tools keep updating with their so-called better knowledge...

it's one thing to have an open resource, but it's even better to have it accurate Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New forum transfer Private messaging query
Next Topic:Thread deleted? KE70 drift pics?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:54:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056438446044922 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.