Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Idle issues with 1jz-gte - FIXED!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Idle issues with 1jz-gte - FIXED! Sun, 07 August 2005 10:11 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I've been having idle issues with my 1jz at the moment. Any help would be great!

First a few stats about the car. Bog stock in the engine dept except HKS dumps, full 3.5inch straight through (i.e no cat, yet) and HKS Pod.

The problems are:

1. On a cold start (i.e first thing in the morning). I HAVE to have my foot on the accelerator to get her to kick over. Once she has kicked over I need to keep my foot on there (revving at approx 1k) for about 15-20 seconds before I take my foot off, otherwise it will stall Sad but once I take my foot off, it idles at an extremely low 400-500rpm.

2. When it's at operating temp, it appears to idle at about 600rpm (it doesn't stall on me though). I've read that the normal idle rpm should be around the 700rpm mark?

I've done a bit of searching in regards to this and I'm going to take a look at the ICV tomorrow, but I have a few questions first.

Should I be checking anything else? There doesn't appear to be any vacumn leaks anywhere (car made 193.3rwkw with this problem).

With regard to removing the ICV, it seems to have quite a fat vac pipe going in to it and a smaller one underneath, it looks like it may be annoying to take it all the way off, can I just pull it out a bit and give it a spin or will I have to pull it all the way off?

Cheers Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 02:02]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte Sun, 07 August 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Make sure that 'fat vac pipe' is clean all the way to the end i.e. you can blow through it easily
2. Make sure the ICV is clean/working

I suppose you could even unbolt it, block up the hole, start the engine, and make sure it's moving around.
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte Sun, 07 August 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. I'll take the whole thing off and make sure it's completly clean and free to move.

Cheers Smile
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - NOW WITH PICS and another question Mon, 08 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK

I've pulled off my ICV unit and cleaned it out with carby cleaner (it was quite dirty). But I have noticed an item that doesn't seem to belong.

Below is a photo of the parts I pulled out of the throttle body and the attached ICV. The part I have a question about it the piece I have circled. It appears to be a spacer of some sort. And after close inspection seems to have been made by hand (I can see sanding marks around the small drill hole and along the sides).

Does this item belong? It seems a bit strange to me that the hole for the ICV be so much larger then this little drill hole.

Also, when I pulled my ICV off, it seemed to be in the 'open' position, which, from what I have read on here, should be providing me with a high revving problem, rather than a low revving problem (if it was ever stuck that is). Maybe the small hole in the spacer is whats causing the issue?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6758/icvsetup21rp.th.jpg

Cheers Smile
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - NOW WITH PICS and another question Mon, 08 August 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few points now spring to mind ...

- No, that spacer doesn't look original
- My ISCV certainly doesn't have one
- But ISCVs may differ slightly between 1JZs (unlikely...)
- Whoever made it obviously went to some trouble for some purpose
- Above person may well have had no idea
- Limiting air flow = low idle
- ICVS was probably opened flat maggot trying to deliver sufficient air through a tiny hole (Edit: this is wrong - see my post below re shutdown)

Conclusion? Leave it out and give it a whirl. My money is on a miraculous improvement.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 01:29]

AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - NOW WITH PICS and another question Mon, 08 August 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly what I was thinking.

Perhaps there was, at one stage, an aftermarket ecu which didn't make use of the ISCV and they just made the pin hole to make sure no pressure built up. I hope it works when I put it all back together tomorrow!

I'll post up the results, thanks for the confirmation Smile

Cheers
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :(... help.. Mon, 08 August 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well,

I put the ISCV back on this morning without the spacer. Pulled the ECU fuse out to reset it, and kicked her over.

That spacer was in there for a reason. It wait straight up to 3000rpm and sat there! What the hell is wrong with this thing?

Could it be a faulty TPS? Any ideas guys? I pulled the EFI fuse out for about 4 mins, is that long enough?

I'm going to drill a slightly larger hole out of the spacer to give it some more air but I don't want to keep this bandaid fix.

Cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 23:48]

AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Mon, 08 August 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put the spacer back on with the slightly larger drill hole and it hasn't made any difference now! Still 3000RPM! I made the whole, maybe one drill bit size bigger!

Help please
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you assemble all the bits in the correct order? Are all the hoses conencted up properly with no leaks?
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at that spacer someone has had issues with the ISCV in the past and has made this spacer to fix the problem of the seized ISCV rather then spending the money to replace it.

If your in a position to drop the ISCV to my old man today ill test the ISCV this evening and see if i can repair it if its broken Sad

BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'm with 1200det on this. I'm pretty sure the ISCV on the 1JZ is a stepper type, making it very hard to test yourself - you can't just stick 12v on it to see if it moves. There are 4 earth pins (one for each step), which need to be grounded in turn to produce one revolution.

And the ECU opens it fully on shutdown, ready for the next start, so you don't know if it even moved while it was running. You could unplug it just before you turn off, then remove it and see if it has closed up at all.

But still idling high even with the dodgy spacer is weird. Are you sure the throttle valve is closing fully? There is an adjustable throttle stop someone may have tampered with. (But that doesn't sit with the previous low-idle problem)

And check the deceleration 'control'. It is on the throttle body and looks like a vacuum actuator, but without a hose (designed like a mini-shock-absorber to stop the butterfly slamming shut if you back off suddenly). If it is stuck or poorly adjusted it will also stop the throttle from closing. (Again, though, doesn't match your original symptoms)

There are several inputs the ECU considers (RPM, throttle position, temperature, A/C, etc.), so any one of those could be off or (most likely) the stepper itself is stoofed.

Anyone got an ISCV they can lend him to try?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure the throttle plate is fully closed.

A previous owner may have opened it a little to compensate.
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BabyZ

I think your correct about it being a stepper type , Ive had to go through all this with testing the ISCV on my 1UZFE which wasnt working and causing these problems , but mind you i didnt have any underlying issues like this 1J may have Razz
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Totally stuffed :( Tue, 09 August 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BabyZ wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 11:00

Are you sure the throttle valve is closing fully? There is an adjustable throttle stop someone may have tampered with.

CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 11:08

Make sure the throttle plate is fully closed.

A previous owner may have opened it a little to compensate.

Yeah, what he said Wink
(Sorry, CrUZsida - I realise it was just an overlap post Razz)
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Fixed! Tue, 09 August 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Issue is now all fixed!

BabyZ and CrUZsida were correct, the throttle valve needed to be adjusted (I didn't even know you could, but it's all blatently obvious me to now Embarassed, after being shown by Brett down at Discount Tyres in Erindale).

Car is now idling at a beautiful 700-750rpm and has never sounded better! Very Happy

Thanks alot to all of the guys for your accurate ideas and offers for help Smile

Cheers Smile
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Fixed! Tue, 09 August 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 11:17

BabyZ

I think your correct about it being a stepper type , Ive had to go through all this with testing the ISCV on my 1UZFE which wasnt working and causing these problems , but mind you i didnt have any underlying issues like this 1J may have Razz

Haha Damo, I think the only underlying issue remaining it the lack of coilovers if you get my drift!! Wink Laughing

Thanks for the offer to check my ISCV out Smile

Cheers Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 02:08]

BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Idle issues with 1jz-gte - Fixed! Tue, 09 August 2005 02:23 Go to previous message
AE82TwinCam wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 12:00

BabyZ and CrUZsida were correct, the throttle valve needed to be adjusted (I didn't even know you could, but it's all blatently obvious me to now Embarassed

Hey, no worries - another win for Toymods. And everything looks obvious in hindsight Smile

We are just here to help you stand back and look at the whole picture Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tacho??Cheap
Next Topic:aftermarket cams for 3TGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 06:38:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005357027053833 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.