Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:32 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone has tried a usb tv device ?
Digital tv, usb add on which could help me watch more reality tv when i'm supposed to be doing work.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got an old analogue one.
Not too bad, picture quality is nothing special.

I don't know how well Digital ones go though.
It wont be HDTV though, not that you can really see the difference.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get HDTV USB tuners.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is USB even fast enough to handle HDTV?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
USB2 should be. USB1 won't have a chance Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They work but you really need to be using a proper roof mount type antenna to pick up properly... unless of course you happen to be right near the transmitter (i.e. Kings Cross or St Leonards).

Don't even bother buying one that doesn't have at least the ability to plug in an external antenna. i.e. don't buy the ones that look like a usb memory stick
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Wed, 10 August 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for that fellas.

There are some really neat looking ones out there, but not released here "yet". Theres quite abit out there - some which use dedicated onboard encoders and decoders (so it doesnt take up too much of the processor) etc.

Seeing as this great southern land gets things later (compared to most other places) ... might be an idea to still wait abit till the good stuff rocks up.

Cheers.

J
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Thu, 11 August 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This would be a good bet, although I wouldn't buy it from here Razz

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.ph p?input[product_code]=MU-24FUSIONUSB-HDTV&input[categ ory_id]=1088

The hardware on the Fusions in my experience has been very reliable and less problematic than others I've used.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Thu, 11 August 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that!

I'm guessing that its the small silver box (of a usb tuner). - The link to the item looks to have been rewritten.

Been considering that item. Being a picky fella, i'm hoping to get something with an internal antenna to help minimise clutter.

Hope to get some time off work to actually go and see the unit in the flesh.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Thu, 11 August 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I bought my girlfriend a fusion silver box tuner (she was going to get a small LCD tv for about a grand Rolling Eyes ) it cost about 200 from officeworks.

It didnt work at all with a tv top type aerial so I wired it into the one in her roof for the main tv (it also has a signal amplifier in line) and it works fantastically! you can even pause the TV (it buffers on the HDD) and record stuff. The picture quality is very good on a laptop LCD and it comes with a remote control too.

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Thu, 11 August 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for that, RobertoX!

Great to hear that the pic quality is good!
That unit looks to be the go at the moment as there is nothing else availble which seems to come close.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its for a normal computer the same company makes a pci version which IMO would be better - I hate having heaps of boxes attached to my computer...

Pic quality is good but beware it needs a fairly stong signal otherwise it quickly goes to shithouse!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Fri, 12 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, a lot of people assume digital TV doesn't require as good a signal Razz Bzzt Smile

I've got a few HDTV cards kicking around the place, the Fusion one has always been the most reliable.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Sat, 13 August 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks doods!

A Dvico Fusion product it is!
I hear signal strength deal. I am thinking the same - a greater signal to noise ratio to support the higer infomation rate.

Have you guys heard HDTV working with an indoor antenna ? - i dont own this house and do not have access to the antenna feed so am hoping that this can still work.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Anyone tried a USB tv tuner ? Sat, 13 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous message
My HDTV worked with a home made aerial sitting in the corner of my room.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oh YES! - It's newshour!
Next Topic:fireworks in canberra?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006223201751709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.