Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 08:55 Go to next message
hey guys
i currently own a mz20 im pretty happy with it.
ive been saving for awhile im thinking of getting a 180sx and also modding the soarer. im only 17. but all my mates tell me buy a house. im still young and i wanna start drifting. has anyone gone throught this if so wat did u choose?

cheers guys
  Send a private message to this user    
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well 17 hmm im in same boat but i dont wana drift.
since i earn jack all i figure get the car its cheaper... but in the long run if you can pay off house earlier etc if you know what your doing and then you can play with cars etc then as there is no debt for the house.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be very careful about putting your fun side of life on hold till later on in life.
I know people who planned to do this, buy a house, pay it off and then have fun. The people I know are now regretting this as they are sick and cant do anything Confused
Worth a serious think considering how many people get cancer these days Sad
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, DEFINTELY the wrong place to ask a "Car vs House" question Smile

Or maybe the RIGHT place, depending on your opinion...
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think enjoy life blow money on cars till about 20 or so and the buy a house.
my mate bought a house when he was 16 and kept telling me he was gonna be far ahead of everyone when he was older but sadly he died at the age of 21 this yr. so i think ill enjoi life while im young
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon you should spend money on the ca while you're still young. But make sure it doesnt distract you from education and all that crap so you have a better chance of getting a better and higher paying job later on Very Happy

Then you'd be able to afford the car and a house Razz Im only 19, and i've got no money for anything so it looks like it will hopefully come to me a bit later on...
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: Damn double post Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 10:03]

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do u want a house for at 17.
gees.. have some fun with cars while your young
Plenty of time for a house
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh im gonna enjoy life when im young im gonna buy a 180 and do up the mz20.
as for education i already got a good paying full time job @ tradetools direct.
and the reason why i wanted a house was that i got heaps of mates that are like 28 and they still live with their parents and all they own is a car.
so i don't want to be one of those type of people.
yep ive made up my mind to spend money on cars

thanks guys

sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neuman road?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the way i think of it is, ive spent a shitload on my car (im 21) i earn stuff all money but i got no debt and im pretty happy with my car. im saving for a deposit on a house and hope to get one in a coupla years. the plan is to get a house and keep the car, atleast the mortgage will stop me from spending money unnecessarily on my car like i do now Smile

but dont go thinking you can buy your house now and do a car later, it wont happen, unless you earn a real good living which i dont and never will.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 August 2005 11:24]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73_drifter wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 20:43

yeh im gonna enjoy life when im young im gonna buy a 180 and do up the mz20.
as for education i already got a good paying full time job @ tradetools direct.
and the reason why i wanted a house was that i got heaps of mates that are like 28 and they still live with their parents and all they own is a car.
so i don't want to be one of those type of people.
yep ive made up my mind to spend money on cars

thanks guys

spend half the money on cars, and keep investing the other half... the idea being that eventually the investment will pay for your hobbies.... invest = good.... then when you want to buy a house later (17?? ffs doyou even know which country you wanna live in yet??) it will be a lot easier...

or just start travelling Wink
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17, have fun, but dont blow every cent you earn, save or invest some of it, then when you are 28 like your mates, atleast you will have somethin to your name Smile.

Travel, spend money on cars, once you have a house and a family, its all gotta wait.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't buy a house until you're in a position to do both. Gf and I just bought our first house, and I still have funds left to play cars. Oh, I'm 21 too.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but you live in perth. 1 sydney house will buy 3 perth houses Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 20:41

but you live in perth. 1 sydney house will buy 3 perth houses Smile

Possibly. It depends on where you're buying though also. It's not quite as blanket as that.
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: house or car? Tue, 09 August 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i brought a house a month be4 i turned 19
well i didnt want 2 buy it
all i remember was my parents just told me and my brother 2 sign papers all the time
and u will have tough times too
like from the begining of the yr till a month ago i been paying the whole thing coz my brother was out of a job and my fathers got injuryed and is getting paided by workcover so i basically was supporting my family 4 awhile and lucky we get some money from the ppl who rent my parents flat so yeh .....
and yeh i crashed my car 2 months ago and that cost me total of 3G's and abit all up
and now i can start saving money and playing with my money coz my brother is gonna pay his share now
yeh
so if u do buy a house ,be ready 4 whatever and always have some rainy day money
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
Just started working again and we were talking about this at work. My supervisor knows I like cars and stuff and he was saying not to waste your money on that crap. He was a complete bum when he was younger and he was on the link. Ok I'm not going to crap on but basically the repayments on the house (after deductions) was approximately $400/mth. Centrelink was giving him between 400 and 500. So basically he was getting the house for free. As long as your parents will let the loan be secured against their home and I'm pretty sure they'll be happy to know you're thinking about your future and even help with payments then it's the best thing to do. I think he had it done when he was about 24. It was a unit in Byron I think. So it's not as expensive as a house but your first property always takes the longest. Now he's almost 30 and he's got his second one almost paid off.
With the equity on his first property he was able to pay for his wedding and get himself a car on his own.

The other thing too is that if you get a car a bit later in life (over 25) you're going to pay less insurance as well and stuff like that.
It's definitely what I'll be doing. We all have to start at the bottom and work our way up. That's life. At least this way we've got something to show for ourselves when we're starting to progress or finish uni etc.

Think about the rest of your lives and bringing up a family (especially in Sydney!).

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your all silly

what you have to do is save and TRAVEL !! then get back home (Aust) and get a car then a wife then a house Razz

but TRAVELING is the thing to do ... why the fuck would u wanna get a house before your 28 - 30 ... there is a whole world out there to have fun in and you wanna be stuck in AUSTRALIA .,.. DOWN UNDER ! the place of NOTHING and our biggest icon is a FUCKING ROCK IN THE MIDDLE - WHOOOPTY FUCKING DOO !

get out and explore .. dont tie yourself down !
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coFF33 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 14:55

why the fuck would u wanna get a house before your 28 - 30 ... there is a whole world out there to have fun in and you wanna be stuck in AUSTRALIA .,.. DOWN UNDER ! the place of NOTHING and our biggest icon is a FUCKING ROCK IN THE MIDDLE - WHOOOPTY FUCKING DOO !

No offence at all mate.

But you obviously don't have an idea Wink .

Travel is great, and everyone should give it a go,. However, property (if managed well) can be extremely lucrative, and it will give you plenty of options in the future.

I am 22, and am unable to spend money on cars at the moment as I have a mortgage, but I can guarantee that my current net worth, will only grow and grow,.

How much will a car appreciate in value?,..

MX73 Drifter: Your only 17 so at this stage you should just do whatever you want,. but there is nothing wrong with investing at a young age, it will only pay off sooner.

Cheers
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

your all silly

... why the fuck would u wanna get a house before your 28 - 30 ...

Because the price of housing will never stay the same or fall.
The longer you wait the more the prices will rise and you will only cost yourself more money in the long run.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the word "doodads" means anything to you and you love to chat about it PM me, i love to chat too.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

your all silly

what you have to do is save and TRAVEL !! then get back home (Aust) and get a car then a wife then a house Razz

but TRAVELING is the thing to do ... why the fuck would u wanna get a house before your 28 - 30 ... there is a whole world out there to have fun in and you wanna be stuck in AUSTRALIA .,.. DOWN UNDER ! the place of NOTHING and our biggest icon is a FUCKING ROCK IN THE MIDDLE - WHOOOPTY FUCKING DOO !

I find people like you very unAustralian and I take great pleasure in causing you pain. Please feel free to step out in front of my car when I'm driving past.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Travelling is cool, but befor i plan to go overseas, i plan to a get a car, and b see more of australia, i haven't been on one for a couple of years now cos i stopped going away with my parents.
I have seen most of NSW, lots of VIC and a fair bit of SA, i still wanna see the rest or atleast QLD and TAS befor i go overseas.
My advice would be get the car have fun, but at the same time setup an investment account with say ING or equivalent elsewhere and just put a small amount everypay in for the house.

I have done this but with large chunks for a car this year. As soon as i get paid (monthly) i transfer say 800 bucks across and that way its there and growing. Hopefully by the end of the year i'll have half of what i want for a good car and i'll borrow the rest.
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't really want to travel i just want 2 drift!!!
which is what im gonna do when i drop all my money in the soarer and buy a 180sx
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: house or car? Wed, 10 August 2005 08:28 Go to previous message
I have been through this situation. I am 22 now BTW.

I always had the plan of finishing uni, getting a decent paying job (I am an accountant) and then buyng a house as I could afford it more easily. So between the time that I have finished school and now I have worked for 2 years with a crappy job while at uni and 2.5 or so with a decent job but still at uni.

I have spent a lot of money on cars now which definitely could have been invested more wisely. However, at the end of the day I have had fun and learnt A LOT!

Because of the housing boom over the last 3 years I probably could have made a lot of money with buying a house early. My dad asked me back then if I wanted to buy the block next door for $70000. I thought at the time that there was no way I could afford it as I was working at dodgimoes as a delivery boy.

In hindsight, I could have bought that, plonked a house on there, kept it for 1 or 2 years and made over $100000. Then had shit loads of money to spend on a car and the next house.

Of course, then I wouldn't have my rona or be around here very much either Razz

BTW travel is good also. I went for a trip to japan. But at the very end of it, you have good memories and no money. At least with modding a car you have something to sell at the end (even if you don't make a profit)

Personal choice, but a mixture of all is pretty good I think Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:no longer a forums newb
Next Topic:Roomshares
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:51:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006598949432373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.