Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simple
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Corolla vs Celica Tue, 09 August 2005 13:19 Go to next message
I cant decide which one to buy,

ae93 sx corolla or a st162 sx celica

Can you guys help me out with some pros & cons of each model & maybe what to look for when buying.

much appreciated

oh yeah, my budget is $8000 max
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica ST162 SX
2 litre
2 doors
Hairdresser car Laughing

Corolla AE93 SX
1.6 litre
4 doors
Shopping trolley looks

Not a lot of difference in acceleration,fuel economy.
Both Front Wheel Drive, 4 wheel disc brakes

$8k would buy a very nice example of either

It's all down to what you prefer really
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know about corollas, but the SX st162s have dropped in price like crazy, you can pick one up for $3-4k. could you get a st165 GT4 for $8k???
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with 8K you can get a GZ or MZ Soarer !!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf do u want a rolla or a leeka when u can get a beast !?!?!

i bet you live over east too where there is a massive amoount of Soarers for sale !

2 DOOR
2L Twin Turbo

Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for 8k for either you'd being looking at a mint st162 with a 3sgte convo or a mint AE92 with a 4agze convo.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 02:26]

Simple
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Have you seen Sydney fuel priced lately? hence the reason im looking at getting a 4, and not a supra or the like.

Although a gt4 sound nice as does a 4agze, im worried about the extra cost of maintaining/insuring a turbo/sc setup. Im not completely against the idea though.

Can i get your opinions about which car handles better/is more fun to drive.

thanks
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
def the celica would be more fun to drive

and i own a corolla!
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea thats true, 8 grand, either way it'd be immaculate condition. With the cash you could go a ST184, probably more reliable cause its newer.

Ive had both to drive, my dad/brothers st162 and my ae92. Id definately go the ST162 without a doubt. (mainly cause 3sge vs 4af) but in your case 4age vs 3age i dont know. But one things for sure, when you sit in a st162 it feels like a sports car compared to the ae92.

can anyone second that??
raaf86
Regular

June 2005
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to let you know i got a sx hatch 100kw for sale, $4400 neg. if your interested just pm mate
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simple wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 10:49

thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Can i get your opinions about which car handles better/is more fun to drive.

thanks

i can tell you whats not fun to drive ... anything that has the 2 front wheels driving it

g0t RWD BABY !?

if ya looking for fun RWD is the way .. and EVERYONE knows it ..
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man for 8 grand u could get a gtfour....ive seen lots of 185s going for around the 7-9 grand mark.....or hell if u want u could even track down a 165

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=54193&rid=5627&S=b62dcce6af2157f91f49d31 abf2009f2&pl_view=&start=0#msg_496627

probably sold..but just an example

EDIT----- i picked my 165 up for 6800 and i think its the best thing ive ever baught..sure alot of parts are REALLY hard to find...but most stuff u can either get out of a 162 or a 185...my biggest problem so far has actually been seatbelts...i had to make my own out of 3 sets of belts...but thats just one of the joys of owning a rare jap import

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 06:08]

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having owned both i can tell you they have the same fuel economy and are both pretty darn good value for money.

basically comes down to 2 or 4 doors. along with that the engines both produce similar power. the 3SGE has bucketloads of torque compared to the 4AGE but the 4AGE will rev a lot harder.

test drive both and see which one comes out on top. you should also be able to get a 20v corolla for that money aswell. either way with $8k to spend you'll have a mint example of either.
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I own a st162 Celica...And ive droven a ae93 seca sx corolla... Ill tell you now ill raher the 162.. Its nicer to drive and pulls harder... Up to u mate.. Wink
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've owned both - the Celica is MUCH* nicer to drive but the AE92 is more practical and roomy if that's your thing.

The choice is easy Smile

* = massive understatement
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i had 162 and its a nice drive, wats even better is a 162 with a 3sgte though Evil or Very Mad
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Corolla vs Celica Wed, 10 August 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica also has a sun roof......top that Razz

celica isnt really the best for space i wouldnt suggest car pooling 4 people every day in it. it does have more spoorty looks about it though thats what i like..

also rego/insurance on celica is probably more, they slap extra $200 on it due to the fact its a 2 door coupe

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 14:08]

customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Corolla vs Celica Thu, 11 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are you talking about rego is the same lol i pay $149 for 3 months same as a corrolla and full comp insurance for $249 a year so are you sating a corolla is $49 for insurance and -$49 for rego its exactly the same. well in SA it is.
and go for a celica a nice GT4 or nice celica is gonna pull chicks over a corrolla any day lol.
only jkin corrolla boys if its toyota its GOOOOD!!!!

cheers
matt
Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Thu, 11 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
insurance on the rolla is fine, $1k a year with $11k agreed value Surprised

there was one thing i didn't like about the 162... and that was when chicks called the pop up headlights 'cute' Rolling Eyes
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: Corolla vs Celica Thu, 11 August 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its better then them saying is that your mums car Laughing
that would have to be the worst pay out you could get from a chick that you had just met and saw your car for the first time lol.
has anyone ever experienced that?

cheers
matt
Smile
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Thu, 11 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a supercharged AW11 MR2 for less than $8000 (registered).

eats pretty much any FWD car alive (in stock form that is).
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having owned what im sure would be the biggest lemon of an ST162 EVER!!! my opinion isnt a great one, but i guess i can see the potential. rego and insurance im sure would be similar for both - with the celica you get the sportier look,the option for power windows,sunroof roof etc etc where as far as i know the AE93's do not have the option of the power windows - then theres the obvious size and shape of the cars - the toquier ST162 etc, another thing you may want to note, not a big deal but when it comes to chuckinjg a system in the boot it'll have to be 'custom' due the the raised wheel arch in the celica - but nothing a weekend of hard work wont fix. ill once again state the obvious - its up to you asnd your personal liking and 8 k will deffinatly get you a mint example

im personally looking to buy an AE93 SX ATM because i 'just like them' - plus after owning a 2 door car i reckon it is a pain in the arse - but yeah good luck with the search champ.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the Corolla and the Celica. Save up a little bit more and have something that gives Clubsports a run for their money.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=65473&start=0&rid=6751&S=077860c6656 9cc999cbdf84bebcd8af3

http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/dynoday.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/dbhebuild/suprahires4.jpg
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
club sports a run lol a 162 3sgte with 8k poured into it would own one i know mine does and i aint spent 8k on it, from traffic lights for all u fwd haters lol

only down fall with a celica is the insurance .. 2 doors... u will pay through the arse...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe. FWD protectiveness. I never said anything 'bout losing did I?

Anyways, your choice dude. But between, a Corolla, Celica and a Supra, I know which one I'd choose.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i know which one too... a supra..a newer one anyway but this has nothing to do with a supra.. lol

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2005 02:43]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that Surprised

Corolla and Celica. Hrmmm.... Celica it is then
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For style and comfort, a late model ST162 with all the options would be very nice.

Power windows, mirrors, sunroof, air con, cruise control, auto arial. Even small things like a warning beep for when you turn off your car and leave the headlights on. It's not that you can't get those features in a Corolla, its the overall finish which is much nicer.

As much as I love the ST162's, even a top condition 1989 model is risky from a maintainence perspective. If that doesn't put you off, concider that most ST162's are worth $3-$5k. With some suspension upgrades and a nice stereo, you'd still have change from your $8k after insurance.

Performance wise, in stock form a 100kw 4AGE Corolla would have the edge over a 103kw 3SGE Celcia. The Corolla is happier at high revs and is lighter to throw around. A modified ST162 would be my preference, however.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2005 08:27]

CONAN
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corolla or Celica?
hmm........
Celica
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Fri, 12 August 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AE93 would be a touch more practical, but the ST162 would have a much nicer interior.

I've never heard anything good about the 5S-FE engine. It wouldn't be revvy or much fun I don't think. That's what the ST184 Celica has.

Personaly I'd save up a bit and get a ST185 Celica GT-Four, or hunt around and see if you can pick up a ST182 Celica (with 3S-GE)!
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah the 3sge is better perfromace then the 4age trust me... 4age is just a revie engine... 3sge they do rev but got heaps more torque... Me i got a jap spec with 100kw or 86kw 4age corollas i got no problems... St162 anydays
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spent probably about 7 Months deciding this exact thing...
I asked these guys on Toymods over and over what to go for..
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26580&prevloaded=1&rid=3960&S=690504 431deeacb744428c4ab15aea05&rev=&reveal=&am p;start=0&count=60
I decided on a Celica st162 Sx... They are both great cars, the Corolla Sx wanting to be a bit happier up towards the 7 grand mark which can be a lot of fun, Even the odd 7500 (Peak power at 7 but still fun to rev).. Every so often I jump back into dads Corolla CS and then go back into my car, and its a WORLD of difference, i know that the SX has a better engine, better brakes and suspension but yeah just even the seating position is somethin that the Celica Gains in, It feels sporty even stock, u sit nice and low, With ur feet resting very nicely on the seat and pedals, The corolla I found was too upright and high in seating position, Celica was designed to be a sports car (everyone with their its not a sports car coz its not FWD hehe) And u can tell from the feel of the steering, brakes and handling.

I reckon test drive both, You'll fall in love with one of them for sure, Even both.. Which was the problem i had..

Simple
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I thinks its pretty conclusive, I didn't see a single post saying the the corolla would be better overall.
A few of you said to get a supra which is odd because that wasn't even an option for me. But thats cool thanks anyway.

The winner is Celica!

for now anyway. hehe
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wait a bit and i'll show you what a decent corolla is like Wink
suspension/20v/recaro..... what more can i say apart from the fact that it shits all over the 162's i've owned Shocked
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, shows what a long way the Corolla has to go when you need to change the suspension, interior and engine of the car Wink
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sat, 13 August 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a turbo'd ST 162 on ebay for $3500 - 4700... the guy is on here aswell. if i had of waited a couple of months i would have bought it... garunteed if you bout it for 4000 and put an extra 4000 into it you'd have a VERY nice car.

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Corolla vs Celica Sun, 14 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous message
buck naked wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 20:00

Heh, shows what a long way the Corolla has to go when you need to change the suspension, interior and engine of the car Wink

heheheh you funny guy you know that Laughing
but yeah, 16v was shagged, drivers seat had rips and suspension... well 15 years and certain things will need replacing.

just wondering if anyone here has issues with thier front suspension in the 162's? i noticed with both of mine that if i hit a pothole it bottommed most of the time. whats more is that i had chunks taken out of the side of the tire from screws/bolts on the guard.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Looking for Corolla from Hot4s
Next Topic:entering AE86 in Targa tasmania
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:38:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087101459503174 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.