Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » GT goes to NZ...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 10:51 Go to next message
Hey boys... I'm off to NZ on tuesday, queenstown to go skiing. Just looking to hear any advice/hints/experiences any of you have?

It's my first time skiing, i've seen a bit of snow before but not piles of it everywhere... not sure how i'm going to cope in the cold, tend to prefer the summer... any advice?

TurboRA28, i noticed you were headed off over there the other week, how was it??

GT
  Send a private message to this user    
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, i was in queenstown snowboarding early july

i think the start to the season was just a bit slow, but we had pretty average snow when we were there
and it was heaps windy for a few days, the lifts even got put on hold one day Confused

but yeah, overall it was great! Very Happy
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i heard today the season wasn't that great over there, but i've had in my head that they'd had an early start to the season and heaps of snow??? Maybe i got that from the websites trying to sell me a holiday... Still, cheaper than going here for a week (well, as cheap as)

Also, got a hire car Very Happy
Hoping for a toyota! Thinking probably echo, or corolla if we're lucky (part of a package deal) BUT, it includes snow chains, and pretty sure its a manual + snow = FUN!!

What about car use/care in sub-zero temps? Driving in ice/snow? I'll take it easy, and will have the wife beside me so will hit the fun-limiter pretty early... Sad

GT
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-gt- wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 21:39

Yeah, i heard today the season wasn't that great over there, but i've had in my head that they'd had an early start to the season and heaps of snow??? Maybe i got that from the websites trying to sell me a holiday

hehe, yeah, before we went over, they were saying on the sites that there had been a good and early start to the season, but there was still heaps of icy patches, hardly any full snow on the main runs Confused

Quote:

Also, got a hire car Very Happy
Hoping for a toyota! Thinking probably echo, or corolla if we're lucky (part of a package deal) BUT, it includes snow chains, and pretty sure its a manual + snow = FUN!!

we got a previa = tarago, fwd in a 1800 or something kg car is very hard to get traction going up the hill from a stop or in the ice covered carpark Laughing we didnt have chains on though

Quote:

What about car use/care in sub-zero temps? Driving in ice/snow? I'll take it easy, and will have the wife beside me so will hit the fun-limiter pretty early... Sad

um, not sure about maintenance, but we did get a layer of ice on the windscreen one morning - dont pour water on it, cos that will just stick the wipers Laughing
but yeah, you have to be pretty smooth in movements when you're driving up or down the mountains, even when there's no snow/ice on the roads!

and dont worry about getting cold up on the mountain, if you're properly prepared you'll be toasty warm unless it gets really windy. you'll probably get colder down in town!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 21:20]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont eat the goldern snow!lmao
mick
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Thu, 11 August 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eating it? I'll be too busy making it...

What about other things to do/see? We've got a couple of days where we probably won't ski, take the oppurtunity to jet boat and bungy jump, but what else should we see or do?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, yeah I just got back from NZ last weekend.

Had a good time over there, mainly sight seeing around the South island.

Landed in Christchurch at midnight, grabbed a Corolla 1.8ltr manual renta car from budget and headed off.

Stayed in Christchurch the first night, then spent the day slowly driving down to Dunedin where we spent 4 nights. Just did a lot of trips out from here.

Then headed off to Milford Sound which is awesome to see if you get the time. Stayed there a night..

Went over the Queenstown, found there was a complete lack of snow and never had to get the chains out.

Headed back to Christchurch then for flight home.

Saw some unreal sights.. But snow was a real disappointment. Though like 2 days after we left i've heard its been snowing heaps.

Heaps of nice cars there! AE101's, gtrs etc.. some funky 2 door looking ae82 corolla's.

Cheers
Joel
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yah, milford sound is worth the trip...
north island skiing sucks. Wink

most of the ski fields near Queenstown are good..

we got a subie wagon, and didn't need to put chains on too much, except when high up.

4WD is a must. still need chains, drive slowly and avoid sudden changes of direction and speed... and watch out for ICE!!!!!

and watch out for the nutty NZ drivers Wink
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, we're going to book a milford sound boat trip, been told to by a few people now.

Good to hear it's finally snowing though, oh well, i'm no expert, so as long as there isn't too many hard things to hit i'll be happy. Looking forward to checking out a few odd cars, stuff you don't often see. A good mate was over there a couple of months ago visiting relos of his kiwi gf (with her of course) and half his photos are of cars! 2 door AE93 gti's look interesting...

Yeah, i'll be taking it pretty carefully on the roads if it's icy/bad weather, esp heading up the hill to the fields from what i've heard of the sketchy bus trip.

Anyone suggest anywhere good to eat etc? Is it expensive food-wise? Thinking of preparing lunches and taking them with us rather than getting reamed on the mountain as a captive audience.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, just think of it as "snow dollars" and all good...

big brekky, big dinner, and snacks during day.

there was a good place in queenstown.. can't remember name, but it's upstairs, and the roof opens.... there were a couple of little funky cafes that looked dodge but tasted great...

there's heaps of places around, just wander and see what looks good at the time (and is popular)
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you talking about the locals only cafe in town oldcorollas?

there's a cafe in queenstown that "only" the locals know about, and its down an alley or something, like a crappy outside to hide it

meh Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the road to milford sounds great! youll love it Smile
iuf you get a chance - do the parasailing off the mountain above queenstown ( take the gondola up ! )

the rides awesome - i got to 5000 above with the guy who took me off + spent the rest of thr trip down doing aerobatics Wink

The shot over jets awesome too - it will be nice anc chilly water too so take a coat !

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Fri, 12 August 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 18:25

The shot over jets awesome too - it will be nice anc chilly water too so take a coat !

hehe, no matter what you wear, you will freeze on that jet boat in winter Razz
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: GT goes to NZ... Sun, 21 August 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got back from Queenstown also

Yes there was a lack of snow which sucked quite a bit, but i still managed to find some untouched powder at the remarkables. Coronet Peak was pretty crap but still skied 2 days there

I also went to Snow Park NZ. A big ass snowboard park with 1 chairlift. To get there you have to travel up the rally track that Possum bourne died on. They have a memorial statue. Man that was fun I learnt to ride rails, well 50/50 them anyway.

The amount of international guests was very cool, every person you talked to was from a different country...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: GT goes to NZ... Sun, 21 August 2005 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 17:42

there's a cafe in queenstown that "only" the locals know about, and its down an alley or something, like a crappy outside to hide it

meh Razz

umm.. wood floors, split level.. really small.... could be it...
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: GT goes to NZ... Sun, 21 August 2005 21:06 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 22 August 2005 02:36

skellator wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 17:42

meh Razz

umm.. wood floors, split level.. really small.... could be it...

hmm, i never went there, only heard about it

Quote:

I also went to Snow Park NZ. A big ass snowboard park with 1 chairlift. To get there you have to travel up the rally track that Possum bourne died on. They have a memorial statue. Man that was fun I learnt to ride rails, well 50/50 them anyway.

why didnt i know about that Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Name that song...
Next Topic:Internet cafe OPENING
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:50:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073440074920654 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.