Toymods » General Car Talk » The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Fri, 26 August 2005 09:36 Go to next message
April 2005
Without excessive fanfare or noise, Toyota released a lifted and tucked Corolla Sportivo ZZE123R in Aptil 2005, bringing it up to date with the revisions to the rest of the (now best selling) Toyota Corolla line-up. All that has been publicised about the face lift mostly boil down to new bodykit styling, added MP3 compatibility to the 6 stack CD player, some minor interior updates and a $1,000 price drop to just $28,990.

I first started looking deeper into the Corolla Sportivo when I found a serious lack of discussion around the revision, as slightly updated styling and MP3 playback is a suprisingly small update. Looking into it further, I was suprised to see how many problems people have had with their car, and how Toyota has struggled with the model.

http://www.carsales.com.au/cvr/7wecorfd.jpg

Nice Move
In theory it's a killer hot hatch. 141kw 2ZZ-GE engine from the 7th gen Celica, 6 speed manual transmission, and all the practicality of a Corolla, the ZZE123R Corolla Sportivo is a surprising move for Toyota Australia - its the first time the 'G' engine has been apart of our line up since the AE9X platform.

Equally surprising was the feature list and value for money represented in its $29,990 price tag. Six stack CD player, leather faced seats and trimmed interior, Lexus-style instruments, an updated bodykit from the Levin model, climate control, all modern electrics and remote central locking, 16" lightweight alloys, 'Sportivo' exhaust and lowered, stiffened suspension gear - PLUS the 2ZZ-GE engine (boasting 41kw over the 1ZZ-FE of the other models) and 6 speed manual, all for less than $10,000 over the base model.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i549/54932_00mg.jpg

A hot hatch relies on a strong power to weight ratio, sacrificing ride quality, noise levels, economical gear ratios, and Mum-friendly steering for a 'true' sports car experience.

The Renault's Clio Sport, along with other ever present members of the GTi club, are enjoying boosted popularity in these times of rising fuel prices. Back in 2003 the new Corolla Sportivo was launched to mediocre press.

What went wrong
Weighing in at over 1,200kg, frustrations were expressed at lack of power under 6,000rpm, riding on timid 'sports' suspension, light steering, and the lack of any real effort on Toyota's behalf failed to make the car much more exciting than a tyical Corolla. The handling, in particular, being a weakness against its European competition.

Even worse was the performance-related recall in earlier models. Rumored to have been fitted with the detuned European ECU meant that a stock Sportivo was putting out about 90kw at the wheels, falling short of Toyota's flywheel figure by over 40%.

The South African built Sportivo has had plenty of quality issues too. Unaligned clutches, warping rotors, average interior quality, and plenty of creaks being a constant source of customer complaints.

Today
It has been announced that the current Corolla Sportivo will cease production on October 1st 2005. Despite recalls and bad press, the ZZE123R Corolla has held its value well, poorer condition second hand models consistently priced in the low $20k range with newer and post-facelift models often in the mid to high $20k's. An abundance of aftermarket branded (and copy) parts available from throughout the Asian, North American and European markets, thanks in particular to the Celica, the 2ZZ-GE has caught the attention of the performance and tuning scenes, earning serious research and development.

Despite the downfalls of the Corolla Sportivo's chassis, handling and suspension, aftermarket LSDs and suspension modifications have made it a competitor again.

Good examples of tuning (through piggy-back and SAFC type ECU additions, intake and exhaust systems) and suspension work (lower, stiffer springs, under car, engine and in car struts) are seeing competitive times down the quarter mile and around the track, against both the European hatches and Japan's NA pocket-rockets.

In my searches online, I have found very limited press that the face-lifted model even exists, at best, it's just a copy of Toyota's PR. One owner of the pre-updated Sportivo at the Toyota Owner's Club forums took the 2005 revision for a test drive and came back with a longer, mostly cosmetic, list of updates, but three were particularly interesting:

"Performance is very different with the engine having a lot more torque under 6000rpm although this makes the lift point nowhere near as vicious as the previous model."

"The shifter cables and they seem to have been revised to a plastic coated cable from the recall rubber coated ones"

Compared to the old model "gear shifting was nice and crisp without being notchy."

These kind of comments suggest to me that through the performance recall of August 2004, and many clutch, brake, suspension and interior warranty claims, Toyota hasn't advertised the updated model as being improved, as its the faults of the Corolla Sportivo ZZE123R were never acknowledged in the first place.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

Are you a journalist ? Confused

That reads like a review taken from a newspaper or magazine. Razz

Try making it a bit shorter next time. Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only my opinion but the rollas have gone backwards since the last sx and gti!having raced them all paying $30k for a car that is half as good as a gti or sx is a case of not knowing anything about cars and or just wanting a new car!mr toyota please bring back perfomace toyotas!
mick
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent review buck naked. Did you write this yourself? Or find it on a website somewhere.

Don't listen to FWDCelica. Most of the rest of us have patience. Rolling Eyes

Having a look at the power to weight ratios, it's got a clear 20kw advantage over the AE93 SX, and I'd imagine the torque curve would be a bit nicer too (as they usualy are in newer cars). It'd be nice to see this engine in something light weight, like an AE92 or, even better... AE86. Evil or Very Mad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they should have put this motor into the mr-s instead of that 100kw pos
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 19:19

they should have put this motor into the mr-s instead of that 100kw pos

Agreed. And given the MRS a god damned clutch!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we can all sit and whine like we normally do, about what Toyota "shouldda" done, but at the end of the day it's whats available and its what our kids will more than likely be playing with in their late teens/early twenties.....

I'm happy that the ZZE123 was built and released here, it was a bold move by toyota, and good on em!!
Yes some decent suspension wouldve been nice, but meh - its a sub $30k NEW CAR which has a fkn top shelf performance engine in it. Hard to beat IMO in terms of value for money.

Good article.... thanks Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aww, now you've told me I can sit around on whine about it, it just takes the fun outta it. Thanks a lot THE WITZL. Razz

I actualy don't mind this car. If it's got decent breaks, just put some coilovers or tougher suspension under it. Lets face it, most modifiers will do that anyway. Although yes, it is a bit heavy.

I feel sorry for my children (or that generation anyway). They wont have the vast selection of parts and second hand cars to choose from. Although, having said that, they'll most likely be able to afford a JZA80 as a first car *shakes fist* Mad That is, ofcourse, if they haven't all been smashed by stupid neglectfull drivers.

Fuck it, I'll just get rich and help my kids to fully restore old '80s & '90s cars to drive around. Cool
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't going to post it, but I figured even if no one posted and it only got a few reads, it would be useful as a reference in the future. I've been doing lots of research on the car in the last few days, so I guess that rant was just the summation of it all I've found.

Also, other than weight, one other advantage the Celica has kept over the Corolla is a full independent rear suspension setup (as opposed to the Corolla's full front and semi independ rear).

I'm not sure about the brakes, I haven't researched the size of the rotors and pistons. On TRD's ZZE123 page, they offer braided metal brake lines and brake pads though http://www.trdsales.com/shop/product.asp?catcode=3 35

On the electronic side:

"Dual SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) airbags, Anti-skid Brake System (ABS) with Brake Assist (BA) and Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)" Heh, EBD and BA are options on Holden Calais Smiley =
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ifit drives anything like my 1ZZfe powered rolla, then it wouldn't exactly be a hot hatch. The power only really kicks in at about 5000rpm, and handling is very floaty. You also sit to upright in the thing. So body roll is a real problem. But still fun for a daily driver.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esk34 wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 02:54

Ifit drives anything like my 1ZZfe powered rolla, then it wouldn't exactly be a hot hatch. The power only really kicks in at about 5000rpm, and handling is very floaty. You also sit to upright in the thing. So body roll is a real problem. But still fun for a daily driver.

I feel confidant when I say... IT'LL BE TOTALY DIFFERENT... Engine wise anyway. Dunno about body. From what I hear, the 1ZZ-FE is pretty much balls, while the 2ZZ-GE (note the G there) is tits.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to the 21 century where safety overcomes performance.

I can say the same thing about the celica, not worth the 40samething gran price tag. mmmm 350z

I dont see the current corolla has a sport car anymore, hell we didnt iven get the turbocharged Yaris
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 27 August 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ill stick with my 15 year old sx that will leave the latest corolla for dead in perfomance.diffrence is about 5-7 secounds around oran south circuit.but then again mines not your average one.
mick
MR2 4AGE
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I owned a sportivo 03 model and experienced a lot of problems, like warped discs, poor gear changes - from gear cables & clutch issues. I had my clutch replaced under warranty at 15k. And had my ecu and air cleaner replaced at 25k. Even though i experineced alot of head aches going back and forth to the dealer, they managed to fix all the problems. I did enjoy the car very much.

I now own a 7th gen celica, and i find the car has more punch down low, and also it seems to pull harder in lift. Not sure if its the 100kg diff or the ECU. I have herd from a tuner in morrabin that there are at least 5 generations of the 2zzge motor.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esk34, quite a few people have mentioned that the car doesn't feel much more powerful than the 1ZZ-FE below 6,800. I saw a dyno graph, and the 2ZZ-GE was making 80kw at the wheels at 6,800 - before it lept up to 112kw around 8000. I think the car was stock. Not having driven the 100kw 1ZZ-FE, I wouldn't be suprised if it was very similar.

As for Toyota Australia, I'm glad they gave the base model the 1.8 over the 1.6 they have in Europe and other parts of the world.

On the upright seating position, thats a comment that has often been made about the latest model Civic Type-R as well. Body height and seating position are much less desireable than the equivilent Integra or Celica.

MR2 4AGE, sounds like you were hit with all of the major problems!

I'm taking the car for a test drive tomorrow in my lunch break - looking forward to getting some hands on impressions!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a m8 of mine has the 2004 model and it hoons for what engine is in it dead standard and he gives ss comodores and mildly modified turbo cars a scare
MR2 4AGE
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rolla sportivo's driving postion lets it down. People say the suspension isn't all that good, but i found it to be awesome on the twisties, i was able to feel the ass end sliding @ 160k+ around long sweepers. If you throw it into the corner and try to prevoke oversteer, is usually behaves well as you can feel when she will give way.. I think an LSD would make this car handle 50% better, wheelspin was very common on corner exits. I find the traction better in the Celica.

I'm pretty sure the running gear and wheel base is the same as the celica. Only diff is the rear suspension.

Buck Naked - Have fun driving the rolla, it will still amaze you and everyone who will hear it! Hearing the 2zz-ge in 4th gear pulling hard on the freeway is music to my ears Cool
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interestingly the old Toyota Rally team used to complain that the Celica's seating position was to low. The drivers said it was much better when they where eventualy allowed to put the ST205 GT-Four running gear under the Corolla.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica seating is fucking shit, i drive one and you almost need to have your head out the window to see if your going to hit the gutter when you go around a corner and im 6 foot tall
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 21:45

Interestingly the old Toyota Rally team used to complain that the Celica's seating position was to low. The drivers said it was much better when they where eventualy allowed to put the ST205 GT-Four running gear under the Corolla.

Hmm, they might be able to see out of it but what about the corners?

I have heard from someone in the suspension industry that the rally team have had trouble getting it to handle due to the fact that this new generation Corolla is like other most other small car these days (eg the Peogeot 307) in that it has that revolting minivan-on-stilts design. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Still-my old SX hatch was lower but that didn't stop it from handling like an out of control marshmallow doing a permanent impression of an evil supermarket trolley. Laughing Evil or Very Mad

Toyota don't even sell a similar 4wd/turbo Corolla as this ST205'ed rally car in Japan, so this is another tyipcal cynical PR exercise from Toyota Oz. Why don't they just rally a Caldina anyway, if that is still sold in Japan? It might arouse local interest and they might decide to import something decent for a change.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2 4AGE wrote on Sun, 28 August 2005 18:38

The rolla sportivo's driving postion lets it down. People say the suspension isn't all that good, but i found it to be awesome on the twisties, i was able to feel the ass end sliding @ 160k+ around long sweepers. If you throw it into the corner and try to prevoke oversteer, is usually behaves well as you can feel when she will give way.. I think an LSD would make this car handle 50% better, wheelspin was very common on corner exits. I find the traction better in the Celica.

I'm pretty sure the running gear and wheel base is the same as the celica. Only diff is the rear suspension.

Buck Naked - Have fun driving the rolla, it will still amaze you and everyone who will hear it! Hearing the 2zz-ge in 4th gear pulling hard on the freeway is music to my ears Cool

bullshiter springs to mind!
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sun, 28 August 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all comes down to, most people buy rolla's as a economical transporter not a performace car.i personially think it was a major error,as you only have to look at sales of wrx,evo lancers,200sx,new mini{supercharged},pugs,etc etc etc.toyota stayed to corperate i think.but i suppose selling alot of fleet cars makes money.
mick
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Mon, 29 August 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I took the car out for a drive today. I headed out to some abandoned roads on the fringes of the metro area and pushed the car to see what it could do, which the salesman was happy to let me do Smiley =

The showroom car was fitted with big heavy 18" wheels and 35 tyres, which is not my style. The stock wheels are already 16" on 45's, so I imagine the diameter would have been a long way out - putting the car further off the ground as well as well as well as slowing it down.

The car was pleasant to drive in traffic and and cruised smoothly on the freeway. Below 6,800rpm the car isn't particularly exciting, but things get busy very quickly past it. Many times I was bouncing off the rev limiter before I realised and it chewed through the gears very quickly - it's a fun car to drive. The gearbox was smooth, a little resistant to push into 1st while decellerating, but I had no issues with its action or gearing.

I'm 6'1" and with the seat at its lowest and the wheel tilted at the highest, the top of the instruments were a little obscured - which was a little dissapointing. I did find that the seats offered good support and it was very comfortable to drive. The gear, shift and steering actions were all very intuative, the car felt stable in all the situations I gave it.

Rear room is great, even with the seat back for my driving position, I could still comfortably fit in the passenger seat behind it without having my knees at my ears or in the drivers back. And that for me is its selling point over the Celica.

Maybe I should take the car out for another drive with the stock rims on...

EDIT: A quick note on the great brakes, they were a really good example of ABS on a 'sports' (term used losely) car. The pulsing came in very late, and in many cases it didn't come in at all. I've driven a few cars with ABS, and this was much less intrusive, but still provided fantastic stopping power. This is one area the 18" wheels would have helped however.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 08:54]

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Mon, 29 August 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 18:47

EDIT: A quick note on the great brakes, they were a really good example of ABS on a 'sports' (term used losely) car. The pulsing came in very late, and in many cases it didn't come in at all. I've driven a few cars with ABS, and this was much less intrusive, but still provided fantastic stopping power. This is one area the 18" wheels would have helped however.

One thing Toyota did right on this car was the decision concerning the specification of the brakes. I believe the front and rear brakes are larger than the rest of the Australian Corolla range. It is a shame that they have missed the mark on so many other aspects of the car.
MR2 4AGE
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 08:16

If you care to explain your response, instead of lableing myself as a bullshitter.. I have videos of my driving to back up myself with this..
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually owns & has modified one of these, ie. Screaming Rolla (Dave). Just from going on various cruises with him I've been very impressed with its performance, as I've seen it/him hold it's own with numerous turbocharged & larger engined RWD cars.
All this talk about their poor handling & lack of low down power simply makes me question peoples driving ability.
Sure Dave's has most of the basic mods, but nothing over the top, & I'll vouch that it's not to be under estimated. Coming out of a corner & nailing it with 18psi of boost wound in & seeing a Corolla just off your rear bar is impressive, but then hearing it's screaming induction over the whoosh of a turbo at full noise is almost enough to bring you to tears with fear! Shocked (I'm picturing the Toe Cutter's whimpering in the beginning of Mad Max, when Max is in pursuit & is all over his ass)

Overweight comic book store guy's voice:
"Corolla Sportivo, most under rated car, ever."
Very Happy
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like my 1zzfe, I find it still has resonable amount of power and is still fun to drive. And it's better than anything in he same price range, for an econo box.
The sportivo doesn't have bad handling, just not as good as others. Eg celica etc.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2 4AGE no i dont want to see it.you have a video of you sideways at 160 on a public road!not what is wanted here.think about it,its a no brainer.and the reason id never say yes,is that i dont want to see young blokes that could never ever have the experiance to even come close to doing it,doing it to prove a point.i take it MR2 4AGE you have years of racing experiance,so you would have done alot of high speed recoveries in your time.someone over 30 like yourself MR2 4AGE shouldnt be saying things like that to young blokes.

Rolling Eyes
mick

MR2 4AGE
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 07:41

MR2 4AGE no i dont want to see it.you have a video of you sideways at 160 on a public road!not what is wanted here.think about it,its a no brainer.and the reason id never say yes,is that i dont want to see young blokes that could never ever have the experiance to even come close to doing it,doing it to prove a point.i take it MR2 4AGE you have years of racing experiance,so you would have done alot of high speed recoveries in your time.someone over 30 like yourself MR2 4AGE shouldnt be saying things like that to young blokes.

Rolling Eyes
mick

fair call
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Wed, 31 August 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2 4AGE wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 21:42

kingmick wrote on Mon, 29 August 2005 08:16

If you care to explain your response, instead of lableing myself as a bullshitter.. I have videos of my driving to back up myself with this..

i FIND it very hard to believe that thing can get that quick. i test drove one and the thing had barley enough torque to get to 150. plus the dash was rattling so bad i thought it would fall off. its the cheapest in its catagory cos they cut LOTS of corners. it really is a shit box, if i where buying 1 id borow more cash and buy a pug 206 gti 180 or a focus or even the alfa 147 GTA.

but i would like to see your videos. sounds like fun. just make sure noone can see ur liscence plate or any thing that will give u away!

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 23:55]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes cos everyone has 60K to spend on a fwd hatch that has shit handling because it is plagued by having a big v6 in causing torque steer.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2 4AGE,im impressed.anything you ever want advice on just pm me.
mick
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took a second car test drive, this time with the stock rims on, and there was a huge improvement in the ride, and I felt it was performing better too. It was easy to keep the car in 'lift' between gears. Why people will put such ridiculous rims on a car like a Corolla is beyond me.

illuminatus, both cars I drove had no rattles or squeaks, and we were on rough roads. We were doing well over 160kph in 4th comfortably. I haven't driven any of the pre-2005 models, but if the build and performance issues have been resolved, I really don't think you could call it a 'shit box'.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rekon if i wanted a hot hatch i'd be looking at either the Renault Clio Sport or the 206 gti 180.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
makes you laugh,that manifactiors and dealers come out with things,ten to fifteen years after us race,drag,rally,show people. besides the fact they give our industry a very hard time saying it is unsafe etc etc and so does the RTA till a million is spent proving its safe.my main concern is always saftey,but when you have to deal with pin heads that dont know shit from clay,it gets very very frustrating.i could go on for about 3000 pages but ill leave it at that.
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i wanted a hot hatch{like i have}i would get an older 1990 or so model rolla and spend the money a new one is going to cost on it.now thats a hot hatch.
mick

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2005 05:37]

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 13:53

illuminatus, both cars I drove had no rattles or squeaks, and we were on rough roads. We were doing well over 160kph in 4th comfortably. I haven't driven any of the pre-2005 models, but if the build and performance issues have been resolved, I really don't think you could call it a 'shit box'.

hmm i drove one of the first ones. i will take your word on that, cos i doubt i will b driving one anytime soon. I dont like the look of em so wont consider buying one.
the 206 GTi 180 i test drove was like a go kart, it was very responsive and handled the speed bumps very well at 50km/h. on the corners with the foot down(not all the way) it handled really really well. the p zeros it comes with are very well suited to the car! it was quiker then the sportivo too(or at least felt like it).
i drove the clio and it has some wierd steering assistance shit at high speed which is screwed right up, so i didnt like that car.
i ended up inversting my cash and baught a ae82 Laughing . which im putting a 20v into. Evil or Very Mad along with super strut brakes and new suspension.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I chose the Sportivo over the Clio Sport, 206 GTi, Integra Type-R's (DC2 and 5), 2ZZ Celica's, going for a turbo, and finally, modifying my ST162 for lots of reasons.

I love the image and its performance, but Clio Sport Cup 182 is too small, has depreciated very quickly and being European, is expensive to maintain. The Purgeot suffers from the same price and maintainence premium over the Sportivo.

The Integra and Celica lack the practicality of the Sportivo hatch, which is really important for me.

While I could get an SW20, ST205, S15, a WRX (would love a wagon!) etc for the price of my Sportivo, high revving NA power appeals to me more than the fuel bill and the maintanence of a turbo. I want to get a kick out of my daily driving without frying tyres, fuel and my licence.

I like the unique styling of the ST162 and I would love to build a killer FWD NA car out of the 3SGE Beams platform, but unfortunately it isn't the 'sensible' thing to do. Even if I sink $10,000 into it, it will only ever be worth half of that.

The Corolla has huge aftermarket support, an advanced engine, is cheap to buy and run, is very practical - and personally, I really like the styling. And because I'd be taking on the car under a novated lease, it keeps the boss happy too.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corolla = best runabout car
can be a granny and fully sik ride at the same time!
Shocked
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Thu, 01 September 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buck naked wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 18:30

I chose the Sportivo over the Clio Sport, 206 GTi, Integra Type-R's (DC2 and 5), 2ZZ Celica's, going for a turbo, and finally, modifying my ST162 for lots of reasons.

I love the image and its performance, but Clio Sport Cup 182 is too small, has depreciated very quickly and being European, is expensive to maintain. The Purgeot suffers from the same price and maintainence premium over the Sportivo.

The Integra and Celica lack the practicality of the Sportivo hatch, which is really important for me.

While I could get an SW20, ST205, S15, a WRX (would love a wagon!) etc for the price of my Sportivo, high revving NA power appeals to me more than the fuel bill and the maintanence of a turbo. I want to get a kick out of my daily driving without frying tyres, fuel and my licence.

I like the unique styling of the ST162 and I would love to build a killer FWD NA car out of the 3SGE Beams platform, but unfortunately it isn't the 'sensible' thing to do. Even if I sink $10,000 into it, it will only ever be worth half of that.

The Corolla has huge aftermarket support, an advanced engine, is cheap to buy and run, is very practical - and personally, I really like the styling. And because I'd be taking on the car under a novated lease, it keeps the boss happy too.

I like the stypling as well, one of the reasons that I got my rolla. Would love to have got the sportivo, but couldn't afford the extra 10g at the time. Besides the money give me a chance to do my GT4 project car that I have always wanted.
MR2 4AGE
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Fri, 02 September 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://media.putfile.com/Rolla_2zz

It pulls quite well... Shocked

kingmick, theres no licence plate on this one.
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: The Unspoken 2005 Corolla Sportivo Update Sat, 03 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous message
My mother bought one of these new Sportivo Corolla's and has clocked up about 1800kms on it to this day.

I Have driven it on several ocassions and the car drives very nicely.

Good points it has are incredible value for moey, you get an awesome engine, with all leather, climate control, and all the b/s electronic items that are found in cars far exceeding the Sportivo's RRP.

The engine is only marginally uninspriing below as about 6500-6800 rpm, but after that it is very competent and provides the 'sporty' experience. The car does handle quite well and is responsive and the brakes as said above are still very 'driver' operated. Which is something lacking in a lot of the "sports" cars. These cars almost kow when your going to fuck up and take over, in my mind, this is shit.

Interior is very asthaetically pleasing and ergonomic, and stylish.

I am coming from driving an extremely stiff, fully sick sprinter where I have done nearly all the suspension mods and have a race bucket seat installed also, so the handling is amazing and hard to get into a modern car such as the rolla and try to feel the sprotiness of the ride, as for me everythin g now feels like a boat. But that said, considering it is a Corolla with a Sportivo edge, I think toyota has done enough for the Sprotivo tag without wanting to scare too many people off with a ragged ride.

They have found a happy medium and in my experience a very competent modern car for all types of driving that can be performed safely on public roads.

Im off to acitivate some more VVTLi,

Jeremy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:looking for agressive artists sketch of classic celica
Next Topic:need to borrow/buy 18R fuel pump {bris}
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:32:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093090534210205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.