Toymods » General Car Talk » VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 00:30 Go to next message
I just happened across this at the vicroads website. Thought it might be useful to people wondering about conversion legitimacies. Though Google should turn it up anyway.

---------------- CUT AND PASTE --------------------
Change of Engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine, have been completed.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
A VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory is required. An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine.

-------------------- END CUT AND PASTE -----------------

And from my discussions with Vicroads they mean "or is an option allowed by the manufacturer IN AUSTRALIA for the same model vehicle"

The address is: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrne5nav.nsf/F irstChild/-E4CFA420ED0C17EBCA256FD300241C06

If you have any further questions please search the Vicroads website or call them on 13 11 71

Hen

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 01:36]

Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had a read of this before and also went down to vicroads... i asked them about a 4age in a ae71/Ke70, and as far as i know as long as its a 4A block it should be alright? but the people at vicroads are noobs so im not sure where to go about this???
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2years ago when i put a 4AGE into my old 4AC AE86, i just told the girl at the counter i needed to change engine numbers because my old engine blew up, she said "do you know where the engine # is on the car?" i said "yup!" so she came out to the carpark with a torch and just wrote it down, back to the counter, new sticker, thank you and good day Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 02:21]

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know... im trying to make my sprinter look as stock as i can... are there any stock filters that will fit the sprinter?
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure about a stock air box, try a trick i saw a guy do awhile ago on the forums, chaneg the 4AGE on the front of the cam cover to a "C" so it reads 4AC then play dumb lol, just go rip off a factory airbox off anything to bluff your way through the vic roads number change! lol otherwise the only things needed for an engineers is the bigger T18 rear end and soem jap spec brakes or better, luckily my last car had both of these anyway if i were to get caught out

MT
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yea, the PMP80Y 100kw 4AC Laughing

is there any stock air box that would fit in the sprinter well? i might have to move that washer bottle Confused
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, there are plenty of ways to get around things, but it often seems to come up that people ask what needs an engineers certificate. Just posting the official line on the issue.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2t 2t-b 2tg were all cool when i went thru the engine swap situation

so id assume it would be ok with 4a familys ..

Now 7m - to 1jz in say a *a70 supra is possible seeing its a model option - and i know a few in vic ( like hirogens dads ) that got thru without needing engineering

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a 4k to 4a? u think they would notice the difference?

that 1jz ma70 looked pretty neat too
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 19:06

2t 2t-b 2tg were all cool when i went thru the engine swap situation

so id assume it would be ok with 4a familys ..

Now 7m - to 1jz in say a *a70 supra is possible seeing its a model option - and i know a few in vic ( like hirogens dads ) that got thru without needing engineering

Um... I wonder if I can go 1JZ in the MA61 in Victoria Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noo .. you cant ..

read the print - an Optional motor ..

ma61 came with 5me or 5mge - maybe 1gge too

but no JZ's

you still need to engineer approve it, because its a custom install

this is the bit that bites :

Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 13:11]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 30 August 2005 19:06

Now 7m - to 1jz in say a *a70 supra is possible seeing its a model option

Not a model option in Australia though, which from my investigations is a crucial difference. I suppose the whole import version issue muddies the water.

And I'm sure there are plenty of things that slide past (I know of a 4A into TA22 that sailed through an inspection) but I just thought I'd post this direct quote from the website. But again, if in doubt talk to VicRoads.

Hen
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Tue, 30 August 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ask this girl @ vic roads, "she said just bring in the car with the engine, no booking required"
ARGH
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Wed, 31 August 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In 1996 I got a Gemini with a G200 SOHC Rodeo engine passed at VicRoads. I actually told them it had a 2litre in it, they told me it was an optional engine, so I didn't argue. Smile
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Wed, 31 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even if u can dodge ur way past getting the engine number on the rego sticker

What about insurance? if u pay insurance for ur fancy hi po car with an engine conversion, even if u tell the company u have that motor

Can they deny you in a claim because the motor wasnt legal?

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Wed, 31 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Wed, 31 August 2005 15:59

even if u can dodge ur way past getting the engine number on the rego sticker

What about insurance? if u pay insurance for ur fancy hi po car with an engine conversion, even if u tell the company u have that motor

Can they deny you in a claim because the motor wasnt legal?

this is what i thought... would it apply to 4age ke70's Confused
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Wed, 31 August 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to a guy down at vicroads last week, he seemed pretty switched on - actually knew what car a 3S-GTE came standard in, i was impressed! In addition to the above, he said that the car would require an engineers certificate if:
- the engine produces > 10% more power than standard
- there was any change in capacity (larger OR smaller)
- the motor was imported but otherwise identical to the original (emissions standards)
- the brakes had been modified

He said a certificate usually cost around $350 and recommended keeping a copy of it in your glovebox should you be pulled over by the police at any stage.

I was thinking along the same lines as you guys, it'd be easy to fool the chick down at vicroads but an insurance assesor who's actually looking for modifications mightn't be so easy to get around... having insurance knocked back after forking out $1000 a year would be a real kick in the nuts.
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Thu, 01 September 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$350? Confused Hah! Where from?

All quotes I've had for an engineer's certificate were $800-1000. Shocked

Bloody highway robbery!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps Thu, 01 September 2005 03:23 Go to previous message
bnicho wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 12:27

$350? Confused Hah! Where from?

All quotes I've had for an engineer's certificate were $800-1000. Shocked

Bloody highway robbery!

Yeah... $350?? Tell us where!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rims for Sprinters
Next Topic:what to look for in an engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:11:46 UTC 2024