Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?"

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 09:19 Go to next message
okay well some of you are aware but i picked up my SW20R last week and im stoked with it..

right now its stock as a rock cept for the air filter, but it still goes pretty darn well.. but like thats going to satisfy me! so i need to somehow, undo, the stock condition of the car.

ive pretty much got rims covered, im gettin those in another two weeks or so, but my next port of call is the exhaust.. ive been looking around online and there only seems to be brand name systems available for the north american delivered 5SFE version.

does anyone know of any full setups from a good brand name (apexi/hks/blitz/tanabe/rs*r/etc..) that are straight through for the gen III 3SGE MR2? At this stage i would be doing the whole thing, headers, hi-flow cat and catback system. would like to keep a clean muffler like the Apexi N-1 on it.

also i dont think i want to go the full monty with Tein HR's yet, but id be quite happy with some Tanabe springs with 15% reduced rate / 30mm lower.. Anything worth looking at locally thats also in the brand name category?

Input?

Cheers

Chris

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 09:21]

Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't bother with the exhaust, its only gonna give you a head ache.

Get some decent tyres and decent suspension.
Turn it into a go kart.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and if you do get an exhaust, don't pay for japanese brand name shit.

Just go to a decent exhaust shop and talk to them about it
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can ya name a few for me in Perth? ive never gone down this path in Perth before.. only adelaide when i lived there..
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a nice set of 4-2-1 extractors with a high flow cat and cat back exhaust(all 0.5m of it Laughing) with a HKS Filter element in the standard box. It went quite alrite and made a 94.1RWKW from a GenII.

Some other people also run that really chunky aircon pipe from one of the intakes at the side into the airbox to help with CAI.

Try to find out a good local exhuast shop and get them to make some up, all up you'd be looking at around $1000.

Good luck, and nice choice of car!

Oh also I picked up a Cusco rear strut brace and it definately helped out in the handling department, have a trawl through members rides for Alchemists SW20 for more info...
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that. took a bit of a look in that thread previously.. but it seems a bit of an undercovered topic on toymods i think. AW11's yes, done to death almost.. but SW20s are still a bit vague documentation wise..

i was expecting to pay about 1200 anyway for the exhaust system so id be happy with that range to have it custom done.. im aiming to try and pull about 140rwkw eventually out of the gen III 3SGE.. which i see as doable.. but obviously with a fair few bits and pieces added.

whats this got suspensionwise? i heard its factory bilsteins but ihavent got under for a look yet..
waxE
Regular

June 2002
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to exhaust world on newcastle st, and tell him ian, the guy with the soarer sent you, hell give u a good deal.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 30 August 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
140RWKW, jeez you know that's what the stock 3S-GTE's pull right?

Well the stock Gen III's seem to pull about 105RWKW stock, so with appropriate mods, exhaust, polish and port, cams maybe you could get to 140, which would be some respectable N/A power.

Just make sure you cost all your mods up, maybe it would be more cost effective(not cheaper, but more power in the long run) to source a Beams Blacktop 3S-GE, would put down 170KW at the fly so about the same as your proposed mods at the wheels, then if you modded the Beams you would have even more power.

The beams has VVT as well so it will rev a lot higher than your Gen III. Not the cheapest way foward, but would make for one hell of a fast N/A car. CVAP(one of our forum sponsors) had a SW20 half cut(G/B, brakes, diff, engine & ECU) for $3800 a while back. That would be the ultimate bolt in conversion. This conversion has been done before, and some of the later SW20's had a beams engine from the factory.

Suspension wise, well I only had a '91 model so it had standard suspension, I'm pretty sure the later models had Bilsteins, but I'd wait for Levos or AlexT to chime in for sure as they have newer models.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 13:39]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Wed, 31 August 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
140rwkw is 190rwhp, or 95rwhp/L

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

As suggested above just get a dual VVTi BEAMS 3SGE and drop that in.
It will be MUCH MUCH cheaper in the end.
and will be much much nicer to drive.

Any motor heading to the 100rwhp/L stage without the use of VTEC or VVTi at the minimum is not going to be a nice driver.

Besides, an aftermarket ecu, cams, tuning, extractors, exhaust, intake mods, shim under bucket conversion (if it isn't already) etc etc, you are talking well over $8k worth here, if not well over 10k.

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Wed, 31 August 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, VVT would kick arse and not screw my insurance up.. guess in the meantime though the gen III i have is in excellent condition as is the whole car, seems a bit pointless for me to swap something that aint broke just yet. like if it got tired and old then yeah fine id swap it out, but its still in top nick and revving beautifully.. beams is a bit of a dream for me at the moment. Smile

i was intending to go down the path of zorst, cams, ecu, polish + port, flywheel to begin with. i dont really want to drop in a 3SGTE as i want this to be a high revving go-kart (as CruZ puts it). and turbo lag in a corner that im trying to accelerate through would suck bad.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Wed, 31 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Full custom exhuast built from scratch will be in the order of $180-$220 a port, $250 for a cat, $300 for a muffler, maybe an extra $200-$300 for bends and labour. Add a bit more if you want to get it HPC coated.

It will obviously be cheaper if you can get decent 3SGE extractors off the shelf, but I'm not sure if you can.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: SW20R - From Stock to Teh Rock "But Where to Start?" Tue, 06 September 2005 02:45 Go to previous message
Was browsing eBay for some bits and came across these -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&item=7996436480&rd=1&sspagename =STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

But im a bit perturbed before i buy.. they talk about the light harnesses are made for the USDM MR2's.. so no icky JDM Conversions.. but what are the Australian ones? are they identical to the JDM? or are they like the USDM lights? Anyone know the difference?

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Import Bitz
Next Topic:G-tech
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:26:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062108039855957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.