Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 13:40 Go to next message
hi, in couple of days i'm going to look at an engine from a wreakers a 3S-GE thats done 98,000k's

just wondering if anyone could tel me anything i should look for when i have a look. they guys assuerd me is still got new oil ad all that in it?

any advice would be good.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a real good looks for leaks, Ie oil, coolant, though of course they could just cleaned it all of so hard to say,
is the motor u r buying in a car and able to be run or is it just sittin around in someones garage.. ??
if its the later then its a bit of a lottery as to how and what condition it is in
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main thing i would look for is warranty, does he provide one? and what does the warranty cover. you dont want to buy it and find that its a dud, once you have the engine in, get the pistons compression tested and make sure it doesnt have any rattles in the bottom end.

Karl
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you do a compression test on an engine?? like what do i need or is it a special tool??
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove plugs, shove compression testing thingo into resulting hole, crank engine, do all four plugs, note down readings, squirt oil down each hole, redo tests, compare data...

then search this site for "compression test" to understand the resul;ts,.

tool is available from supacrap and many others - is basically a pressure guage with a tire valve on the inlet

other advice? search before asking the obvious and easily findable?
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw the title and thought it had to be said...

PISTONS. Laughing

The world is so much brighter with my midnight gem of wisdom Rolling Eyes .

As said previously, the most important thing is warranty. Compression test may not tell you much, as a sitting engine will lose compression. But if it looks alright, has no corrosion and you get a decent warranty (& price) go for it.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: what to look for in an engine Wed, 31 August 2005 23:18 Go to previous message
tricky wrote on Thu, 01 September 2005 00:57

I saw the title and thought it had to be said...

PISTONS. Laughing

The world is so much brighter with my midnight gem of wisdom Rolling Eyes .

I was going to say the same thing, hahahahah....

but yeah, make sure to do a compression test and check for oil leaks. if you can run the engine all the better, basically everything that's been suggested is all i can really offer as advice so i'll shaddup now Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:VIC - Engineering requirements for engine swaps
Next Topic:looking for classifieds site
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:23:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053441524505615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.