Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 04:01 Go to next message
Ok, here's how it happened...

I always wanted a first gen celica but there was never an opportunity to get one untill earlier this year my previous beast,('62 Morris Oxford), was hit and forced off the roads. I found one in the trading post not too far from me on the Thursday it came out, inspected in the arvo and bought then and there. The car had belonged to one family since it rolled off the line. First the mother who owned the car from '75 - '96 then the son in law from '96-'05. The son in law had put hotwires on it, mounted a shitty stereo under the glove box, put a couple of seat covers on and had it resprayed the factory colour.(Unfortunately the paintjob had a fair few chips and dings, not to mention crows feet on the roof and boot. There was basically no rust except for a tiny bit at the bottom of the rear window. It was also an auto where my preference was manual.
I drove the car for about a month before I had a prang in it. Couldn't believe it! I'm not going it now though. Damaged the front left guard, the bumper and left indicator. Nothing that wasn't fixable. With the damage now repaired but with primer all along the affected area, it was soon time for a respray. Over the past few months I've been buying wrecks and visiting the local wreckers for various bits and pieces I'd been in need of. Before the respray a friend and I did the auto to manual conversion. Took about 12 hours to do, including all the hiccups along the way. The car is getting closer but it's not up to my specs yet!

The car has:

1800 3T-C
K-Mac Gas shocks
K-Mac lowered springs
T-50 5 SPD
Front and rear sway bars
Whiteline Panhard Rod
Shortened shifter
Stock black vinyl interior
Perfect guage cluster with original radio
Air conditioning
New inertia reel front belts with the drop link
Completely new brakes(Master cyl. pads, discs, lines)
New front screen
Gt Clear Parkers

The new paint job looks ok, but it's still not perfect. Might have to get it fixed up properly. The Interior is great except for a couple of small rips I need to get fixed and two cracks in the dash. I just got some gt bonnet flutes, but haven't got em on yet. I've also got some bumper bars being rechromed. The ones on there at the moment are a bit dodgy. A new 2tg is being built shortly to go in there and I sourcing out an efi setup to run it.
So, that's it for now. Hope you like it and this'll be updated shortly too. Now...To work out how to post pics.
  Send a private message to this user    
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-Side view Ta22
http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05321.jpg

-Back Left Angle
http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05292.jpg

-Front Left Angle
http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05322.jpg

-Left Rear Quarter
http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05323.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2005 04:48]

riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks awesome mate!!

A really good platform to start with aswell..

goodluck!
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-Interior
http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/int1.jpg

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice clean looking car there mate Smile

i have to say, i dont like the pin striping down the side, but its your car, and i cant imagine those stripes being all that easy to find these years!

Eldar.O.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow the interior looks smikk as mate!

Good on you! this is one really good little car and as i said before goodluck and enjoy personalising this little beast! Wink
sv_i
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Thu, 01 September 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend of mine has a TA22 in a deeper shade of metallic blue.

(yours is a lot nicer though, his is a bit of a cheap and nasty car) Laughing
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Fri, 02 September 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They do look good in blue Wink Very Happy
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Mon, 05 December 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the process of building a 2t/3t efi hybrid. So far the block has been bored 40 thou over the standard to suit the new ACL pistons. Will be using the existing 3t crank. TRD profile cams. Shot peened rods. (Chevy ARP rod bolts were installed into them too) The head I got have already had some work done to it, but is being inspected anyway to ensure there is no weakness in the assembly. Getting some CT1 coated main and big end bearings from the states too. (Should ensure the engine has a long life). Will be running a microtech LT4 when I get it back in the car. Anyway, I just painted the engine bay in a hammered metal blue and it came up pretty well. I also am getting some GT bonnet flutes rechromed. I've had the front and rear bumpers done now too. Got a Gt styled front lip(Not the real thing, but wil look good), GT grill on the way. Will give the full update when the car is back together.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05530.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/shelldrake/DSC05531.jpg
72PASSEDU
Regular

December 2004
Re: shelldrake's ta22 Sat, 10 December 2005 18:57 Go to previous message
Looks GREAT keep up the good work Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Velliss' Corolla KE55
Next Topic:My RA21